• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wonder what they've got embargoed. Probably map pack impressions/previews?

Can't be SpOps cause they'll be blowing their load early from the VGAs.

Can't be a TU because.. well that doesn't make any sense.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Gametypes are out, I've emailed Angel and tried to contact some of their staff on twitter but no one has said anything about potential bans or anything about the gametypes.

I also heard there is a removal of white text too lol.

Hate to say that I think I'd be dependent on it, but only because they medals are so small.

Really interesting solution to the "Spectator Mode" idea going on at the Wednesday NIght Grifbrawl event right now. Pretty cool, lol.

http://www.twitch.tv/H2OCamper

Is that seriously what the hammer sounds like or is the audio messed up?

DeadNames

Banned
Guys, does anyone want to play some of those customs? Looks like Halo 3 tier fun.

Shame that we have to rely on mods and stuff though.

Alright, for starters, every precision weapon in Halo 4 is hitscan. Two, the underlined works in theory, not in practice. There's a reason the pros at Dallas were using DMRs and that is why. Three, you need to get your argument straightened. In one you say the BR will beat the DMR and now you seem defeated that you can't spawn with the better weapon(DMR).

There's a reason to what I'm saying, and that is the 3x scope, coupled with the lack of spread causes the DMR to destroy maps. Look at the TU ZB Reach DMR and look at the Halo 4 DMR. They are nearly identical in how players use them, and it destroys maps. So how do we fix that? One option is to take them away altogether. Then what are we left with? Halo 3's spread BR making large maps inaccessible to combat from a certain range unless you have a sniper or laser. That's not good, it stifles combat too much. How about we leave it in, but have it spawn on the map. Now you've created a weapon loop(beneficial to combat), eliminated the Halo 3 combat zone issue, and not everyone is spawning with a mini-sniper rifle like in Reach.

But what about the BR? It remains a spawning weapon capable of headshots. It has spread over distance, so it isn't destroying maps. It stays hitscan like Halo 4. It still pings snipers.

Perhaps just having the DMR as 2.5X or 2X scope is the easy answer? I personally much prefer the firing and aiming of the DMR over the BR. I find the BR "slides" over targets due to its burst fire nature where the DMR "snaps" to a target when shooting. I just feel more precise with a DMR and I'd hate to loose it to a map pickup up instead, that would result in me having to 90% use the BR, which I don't want to go back to. I can agree with a small nerf to the DMR but not for the sake of just making the BR the new dominant weapon.

EDIT-
Also you'll need to provide a link that the Carbine & Light Rifle are hitscan as I'm certain they are not.

So anyone else think they should really add assault back in with that extraction bomb thing?

Please 343i just return assault itself, I miss it.

Karl2177

Perhaps just having the DMR as 2.5X or 2X scope is the easy answer? I personally much prefer the firing and aiming of the DMR over the BR. I find the BR "slides" over targets due to its burst fire nature where the DMR "snaps" to a target when shooting. I just feel more precise with a DMR and I'd hate to loose it to a map pickup up instead, that would result in me having to 90% use the BR, which I don't want to go back to. I can agree with a small nerf to the DMR but not for the sake of just making the BR the new dominant weapon.

Pistol secondary should be a capable gun, not what it is in Halo 3 and now Halo 4. Think along the lines of Reach Beta pistol(5sk, maybe 6 depending on other factors) at 10 shots/mag. Now you have a single shot precision weapon that can at most get 2 kills per mag. On the downside, it doesn't have a huge clip and minor bloom, but it has to have a tradeoff for being a spawning weapon.

blamite

I'm guessing that Speed gametype from Reach isn't possible anymore, right? Even if there was a tall enough space to build it, it won't really work without the ability to give zombies a Hammer, right?

Modders fix this plz

MrBig

I'm guessing that Speed gametype from Reach isn't possible anymore, right? Even if there was a tall enough space to build it, it won't really work without the ability to give zombies a Hammer, right?

Modders fix this plz

Nascar? I've already built the map. I tried on Ravine so I could replicate falling into the water, but there wasn't a big enough space. There was plenty of room on Impact for it. At the bottom I made a gravity well that flings warthogs out instead.

Just need the gametype.

Pistol secondary should be a capable gun, not what it is in Halo 3 and now Halo 4. Think along the lines of Reach Beta pistol(5sk, maybe 6 depending on other factors) at 10 shots/mag. Now you have a single shot precision weapon that can at most get 2 kills per mag. On the downside, it doesn't have a huge clip and minor bloom, but it has to have a tradeoff for being a spawning weapon.

Again I disagree, a pistol should be inferior to a BR or DMR, especially with MJOLNIR/shields. Also not a suitable replacement for pinging snipers. I certainly don't want BR and pistol secondary when I love me some DMR action.

I'm willing for some compromise about DMR slight nerf but you don't seem very accommodating to have the DMR in? I take it you just want the BR back as a rule all distances apart from shotgun and sniper with their respective ranges?

How the fuck does Team Regicide work? Why am I king for three seconds before its elects someone else? Why does it make me king when I'm one shot away from dying in a firefight?

You don't know how much I need you.
While you're near me I don't feel blue.
And when we kiss I know you need me too.
I can't believe I found a love that's so pure and true.

But it all was bullshit.
It was a goddamn joke.
And when I think of you three four three
I hope you fucking choke.

I hope you're glad with what you've done to me.
I lay in bed all day long feeling melancholy.
You left me here all alone, tears running constantly.

Oh somebody kill me please,
somebody kill me plee-ase,
I'm on my knees,
pretty pretty please kill me.

I want to die.
Put a bullet in my head.

:lol Perfect!

tumblr_lu5ozrz5yP1qztqsao1_500.gif

Karl2177

Again I disagree, a pistol should be inferior to a BR or DMR, especially with MJOLNIR/shields. Also not a suitable replacement for pinging snipers. I certainly don't want BR and pistol secondary when I love me some DMR action.

I'm willing for some compromise about DMR slight nerf but you don't seem very accommodating to have the DMR in? I take it you just want the BR back as a rule all distances apart from shotgun and sniper with their respective ranges?

As I said the DMR destroys maps too much for it to be a spawn weapon. And I'm more for buffing weapons before nerfing them.

To the underlined, I don't understand this mentality. Pistols can range anywhere from a cap gun up to a .50 cal. Who's to say that 500 years in the future, we haven't developed a more powerful pistol. As for the bolded, no. I want it to be a more defensive anti-scope weapon, compared to the DMR being a more offensive anti-scope weapon. And why isn't the BR suitable for pinging snipers? It's the perfect sniper ping tool.

EDIT1: An old version that I've started to update.
weapon_sandbox_v2-1.jpg

EDIT2: It's been a long time since I used that as my avatar.

Dirtbag

You know, I'm sure many of you have already tackled this point but I'm realizing the reason instant respawn doesnt fit with halo is because it works backwards against the length of engagement / kill time.

In COD the instant respawn is almost necessary because of how quickly and often you die. The weapons are so lethal and the encounters so ranged that you can die instantly from anywhere.

Halo though you need reloads and good movement and timing your next encounter is so crucial to kill streaks. The whole instant respawn just works completely against this process.

I can drop an opponent or hell a whole team of them and they can be right back on top of me instantly before I've even had a chance to reload a clip or recharge a shield. Coupled with sprint (which I love BTW) and a host of new movement options, and the average time between encounters has gone through the roof.

The methodical setups of past halos are fewer and far between, leaving you with the mindless COD zombie blitzkrieg strategy, and giving you a full shield to blow through as you race back to your weakened killer.

I'm looking for some friends to play some halo 4 tonight. Anyone?
As I said the DMR destroys maps too much for it to be a spawn weapon. And I'm more for buffing weapons before nerfing them.

To the underlined, I don't understand this mentality. Pistols can range anywhere from a cap gun up to a .50 cal. Who's to say that 500 years in the future, we haven't developed a more powerful pistol. As for the bolded, no. I want it to be a more defensive anti-scope weapon, compared to the DMR being a more offensive anti-scope weapon. And why isn't the BR suitable for pinging snipers? It's the perfect sniper ping tool.
well said. i don't like the notion that pistols always have to be weaker than a rifle, either. Why does it really matter. It's not like halo is supposed to be a realistic game or sci-fi shooters in general.

CyReN

We now almost have spectator mode with wraiths under the map, we got audio clips to edit in for montages/top series, Halotracker for ranks, and capture card to render clips.

We are set!

wwm0nkey

You know, I'm sure many of you have already tackled this point but I'm realizing the reason instant respawn doesnt fit with halo is because it works backwards against the length of engagement / kill time.

In COD the instant respawn is almost necessary because of how quickly and often you die. The weapons are so lethal and the encounters so ranged that you can die instantly from anywhere.

Halo though you need reloads and good movement and timing your next encounter is so crucial to kill streaks. The whole instant respawn just works completely against this process.

I can drop an opponent or hell a whole team of them and they can be right back on top of me instantly before I've even had a chance to reload a clip or recharge a shield. Coupled with sprint (which I love BTW) and a host of new movement options, and the average time between encounters has gone through the roof.

The methodical setups of past halos are fewer and far between, leaving you with the mindless COD zombie blitzkrieg strategy, and giving you a full shield to blow through as you race back to your weakened killer.
Well we are going to have a No Instant Respawn game here in 15 min anyways. Would be nice for them to put the gametype/settings into their own section though.

Top Bottom