• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Not approving" is better than saying that word? I know this isn't the place for this conversation but that sounds pretty rude to say in a community with gay and bisexual members.

It's not rude at all. It's my right in a free country, which America still is, unless something's changed. It's their right to live that lifestyle. It's my right to disapprove. You cannot demand that I approve of someone else's behavior. I don't stop them, I don't insult them. Aren't you guys supposed to be the ones that insist that everyone be free to live their lives and practice their beliefs as they choose? Why does that only apply to the lifestyles you prefer?

orznge

Banned
Hah shit, I'm too many levels of internet deep. That was intended as mockery of something you'd say, but no one actually does that here, do they? You come off as that guy to me, so my apologies.

Frak me. Whelp, sorry guys! Being pretty gay myself, it'd be silly to mean that. I suppose it's too late. Make it painless, gentle overlords.

That is a pretty bad mockery of me considering I am not bigoted towards any gender, sexual orientation, etc

Had a quick look and didnt' see it.

Kotaku article for Halo 4 concept artist Thomas Scholes. He is now allowed to share his work post game release. Quoted the images due to sizes and keeping things smaller here.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.gif

original.gif

original.gif

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

darthbob

It's not rude at all. It's my right in a free country, which America still is, unless something's changed. It's their right to live that lifestyle. It's my right to disapprove. You cannot demand that I approve of someone else's behavior. I don't stop them, I don't insult them. Aren't you guys supposed to be the ones that insist that everyone be free to live their lives and practice their beliefs as they choose? Why does that only apply to the lifestyles you prefer?

Just so you know, your 1st Amendment rights do not apply here.

In fact, you have no rights here. Play nice.

Who else knew the internet is actually just a country and that country is really America?

heckfu

Banned
Well, for starters I'm straight.

Satchel

Banned
Yeah, I know and I would play SWAT with you anytime lol !

Nah I think you just got better over the years, and I don't see how power weapons are now less of a problem, everytime I play something Infinity related or Dominion it seems like everyone has a power weapon, of course this is a different thing as global ordnance, but you know what I mean.

I don't even have a problem with waypoints over the weapons, I could let this slide, but the weapon set up shouldn't be random and the time neither. I have seen games where one team just got the win because a binary rifle spawned near their base.

I have to say many of my angry posts about Halo 4 are also probably influenced by jelousy that someone can still enjoy it and I don't, I really would love to like it and some stuff in Halo 4 is amazing.

as i said, maybe i still love the mp because i play SWAT, which is my favourite multiplayer gaming anywhere.

im very simple. Give me the same gun as everyone else, don't let us be able to see each other on radar, and lets see who comes out on top.

Its just so pure. Its as old school as you can get.

Pop

The "not a Halo game" shit is hilarious. The core gameplay and gunplay, the foundation for any shooter including Halo, still plays like Halo. The gametypes still very much play like Halo. It still feels like Halo. It still for the most part flows like Halo MP does, at an accelerated and a bit more.. uncertain pace. A lot of the stuff they've added like personal ordnance and loadouts is in many ways evolutionary for Halo, it just hasn't been beta tested here. People would be bitching a lot less if the Boltshot was a little less powerful and the maps didn't skew towards DMR ranges.

Like I said, the hyperbole in this thread is baffling. People here really, deeply offended by Halo 4. The game has it's exorbitant amount of problems, but it still very damn well plays like Halo. This extends to the campaign as well.

-Wheres my flag drop
-Auto-pickup whaa
-no skill ranks
-HUGE waypoint over my head
-custom options decreased and no options to remove sprint or created a classic feel
-random ordnance
-personal weapon drops
-perks

Probably missing a ton more. This doesn't feel like Halo.

That is a pretty bad mockery of me considering I am not bigoted towards any gender, sexual orientation, etc

Using a word doesn't imply a stance. Words exist in many contexts. Mine was one mocking you, and you remind me of Xbox Live kids, so here we are. It was inappropriate though, and I'm sorry. Gotta keep it clean on GAF.

None of you get laid so your sexual orientation is irrelevant.

BURNZZZZ.

In respect to the flag indicator, I really dont like it its a total casual aid. I had flag taking it back to base I was going though that ground level tunnel on Harvest on the right side near the sides where warthogs would drive around (I didnt take middle). An enemy unknown to me was up on top where there is a little gapped bridge. Before I was even in viewing distance of him he had landed a nade at my feet at the exit of the tunnel where the wall ends and he proceeded to headshot and finish me off. The fact that I didn't have an indicator to see him means he had a complete advantage. It was one of the most lame moments I experienced, glad someone brought it up as it shook my memory from last night.

Element should totally be removed from Halo it is just a crutch casuals rely on instead of visualization and teammate communication. It saddens me to even think it made it past an idea in the rooms Halo was developed. As a funny sidenote I actually predicted this exact thing in a post months ago when I heard about it and Frankie said dont worry...

Kuroyume

Banned
I haven't played H4 yet but I think Halo stopped feeling like Halo once they introcuded AAs... That or the equipment. Although at least the equipment could actually run out.

Fuchsdh

Team Regicide is far more enjoyable when A) your king isn't an idiot, and B) he's got a funny name.

I will admit I'm far more likely to perform better if I'm trying to protect Jeff Goldblum.

I don't know how to say this but this is your opinion.

Halo in the past has been more Rock vs Rock and now its more Rock vs Paper vs Scissors.

Therefore the core isn't like Halo. It doesn't PLAY like halo, and its a real issue, because people take Halo very seriously.

Look at the #'s man. They are down. Because this isn't what Halo fans wanted. If you enjoy it thats fine, but I, along with anyone else have every right to complain about it.

Don't gimme this core argument either, I have to play the game with all the crazyness thats added and changed. Unless I want to play Slayer Pro, and even then I think some of the stuff is still in it.

I feel it is very much Halo at its core, sure a 343i version but still very much Halo...let us have a look at things.

Campaign:
John in cryo (direct Halo 3 story continuation)
Cortana present
Halo books tie in many ways
Covenant still in game
BR & DMR & pistol etc return, as well as Covie weapons too
Halo in game
Forerunners in game, environments, weapons, enemies etc
Halsey in prologue
More spartans and UNSC
Movement, strafe, controls etc
Space opera style in scale and mystery

Campaign verdict = Very much Halo, this is a fact.

Halo was never Rock vs. Rock alone, it has always been Rock, Paper & Scissors. Since Halo 3 & Reach it has become more Rock, Paper, Scissors, Dynamite. Now with Halo 4 it is more the evolution of Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard & Spock.

Now to shorten this mutliplayer and spartan ops have much of the same traits and marry up to the existing Halo games very well. The fact is each aspect of Halo 4 is very much Halo in nature, just because you don't like something doesn't make it not Halo.

You are also having blinders on mate with regards to the golden triangle, look at Halo 3 and its equipment. That's the first iteration of AA's prior to Reach, then Reach went full-AA and Halo 4 iterates to bring more balance and less impact on gameplay. Sure there are more variables but you are not forced to play these modes. You have CTF where things are toned down, Slayer Pro where things are stripped even more heavily and other gametypes like Flood & Griball. Over time the playlists will work out better for your preferred style mate.

May I suggest taking a look at the evolution of Rock, Paper & Scissors as the analogy is very fitting still for the the change throughout all Halo games. Especially the last section "Additional Weapons". I think it's a great reflection of community division, national trends, balancing issues and subjectivity. Overall Halo 4 is very much Halo, with your Rock vs. Rock you don't even have a single game to reference that and even if you put Halo CE & 2 together you're still inaccurate about 3, Reach & Halo 4.

I agree. It's like every change comes with a little shit on it.
~snip~
I agree that the grenade selection in loadouts is a bigger offender than secondary weapons. But of course, there is a perk tied to starting grenades so... It's just that the functional differences among the pistol, PP and boltshot are so vast that I don't like the choice of them to be in loadouts. PP is a vehicle killer, that's it purpose. Boltshot could have worked if it wasn't so broken (read:crazy effective.)

I agree with the part about to mid-tier weapons, partly because there aren't any anymore. Everything that is currently in the ordnance system can stay that way as powerful weapons worth picking up. I just like there being weapons on the map again, the primaries and pistols so you can make decisions on the go rather than almost exclusively in the loadout menu.

LD2k

Neo Member
You are also having blinders on mate with regards to the golden triangle, look at Halo 3 and its equipment. That's the first iteration of AA's prior to Reach, then Reach went full-AA and Halo 4 iterates to bring more balance and less impact on gameplay.
Good points, but one BIG difference. You still had to know maps and placements in regards to the equipment.

Good points, but one BIG difference. You still had to know maps and placements in regards to the equipment.

One change like this is more about playlists and settings rather than being Halo or not. If 343i would cater a little more in Slayer Pro and maybe one other playlist as well for smaller symmetrical maps beyond Forged ones and allow some settings tweaks for no sprint, no instant respawn and the weapons/spawns then they have this niche covered indeed.

Which 343 probably determined was the #1 barrier to entry for multiplayer.

On the map spawn alienates casual players, players that don't have timers next to them and also limits such power weapons to more solo power players which in turn leads to lopsided games that no one enjoys. Now the indicators, timers and all that are visible to everyone with the global ordnance drops, weapon indicators and you can clearly see when someone calls in personal ordnance as well. Sure it could use tweaking but it's working with more positives then negatives and avoids spawn trapping, spawn camping, weapon spawn farming, weapon spawn withholding (low ammo holding) etc etc.

I agree for the "classic Slayer Pro" some of these elements should be closer to Halo 2 for that competitive edge. Hopefully the next TU will bring those into those playlists where they belong.

Now that we've established that no weapon should have a different spawn time than another weapon because it is technically impossible for a videogame made in the year 2012 to communicate two separate facts to a human, let's talk about the next pressing issue: how will we rebalance the characteristics of each weapon so as to accommodate the new homogenized spawn times?

I wish you wouldn't do this. Sarcastic response and a straw man.

I never asked for homogeneous weapon spawn times. I said spawn times should be communicated to the player, preferably before the weapon spawns.

Let me be clear: the classic Halo system is great. I love it. But it's something I don't mind digging into.

My less try-hard friends aren't fighting over power weapons, they're being killed by them, and then they're putting the game down because it was disappointing enough to lose an even battle, let alone one where you're being demolished by explosives you're now too jaded to care to understand.

A waypoint on a Rocket Launcher is a great solution to this, and 343 brought that to the table. I just wish it also was there warning players of another Rocket Launcher dropping in advance without a perk. It'd direct flow much in the way King of the Hill markers do. If it's not in advance, weapon spawns need to be random to give players a shot at fighting over a weapon, rather than having veterans sit on weapons, eating the waypoint before the new player even gets the chance to benefit from its inclusion.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't know how to say this but this is your opinion.

Halo in the past has been more Rock vs Rock and now its more Rock vs Paper vs Scissors.

Therefore the core isn't like Halo. It doesn't PLAY like halo, and its a real issue, because people take Halo very seriously.

Look at the #'s man. They are down. Because this isn't what Halo fans wanted. If you enjoy it thats fine, but I, along with anyone else have every right to complain about it.

Don't gimme this core argument either, I have to play the game with all the crazyness thats added and changed. Unless I want to play Slayer Pro, and even then I think some of the stuff is still in it.
The irony in this is that the actual Rock, Paper, Scissors "core" element of Halo is actually still very present and possibly as good as it's ever been in 4.

You're criticizing what I've summarized into the uncertainty and accelerated aspects of the game. A lot has changed because it had to have changed, or else numbers would have been even lower than they are now. I'm not denying there are aspects that are not Halo-like, I'm saying it still feels more like Halo than otherwise.

It's nowhere near perfect right now, but I think they can at least make something decent out of it over time, stuff that I expect once the majority of bugs are fixed. And of course, there is stuff hard coded into the design that probably will never be fixed because they're attached to ideologies 343 brought to the table. I can see why people are giving up hope right now, but I still think it's a bit early for the verdict to be out on the future of this game. The most worrying bit is 343s lack of acknowledgement though, and half of them being on vacation, leading shit like the File Browser to remain completely in limbo.

Long post.

H1 - Pistol vs Pistol
H2 - BR vs BR
H3 - BR vs BR
Reach DMR vs DMR
H4 - Wut?

Theres other stuff but in the past further back Halo games you had no AA, no perk, so when you spawned you were on equal footing besides maybe a weapon, which is why map control was so essential. Fighting over map control so you could get the next weapon drops was Halo. Pushing a team into their base and controlling them. Thats pretty rock vs rock to me.

H4 is none of that. Its not the Halo I watched on the mainstage played for years, its not the Halo I played with my friends at LAN's...

So respectfully I agree to disagree.

Campaign, sure, I don't really care I played half of it and it was boring. I guess thats like Halo. Orange buttons. I concede on this point.

You're criticizing what I've summarized into the uncertainty and accelerated aspects of the game. A lot has changed because it had to have changed, or else numbers would have been even lower than they are now. I'm not denying there are aspects that are not Halo-like, I'm saying it still feels more like Halo than otherwise.

Thats your opinion man, H2 had high #'s H3 had high #'s, Reach is where the population was lost and that was the Halo with the most additional elements (before H4 - which also happens to have low #'s). The idea that evolving Halo is what is keeping the people who are still on Halo is just that, simply an idea, its not factual or true or proveable in anyway. My opinion is more people would continue to play Halo if you evolved Halo in a different direction other than copying CoD's elements.

H1 - Pistol vs Pistol
H2 - BR vs BR
H3 - BR vs BR
Reach DMR vs DMR
H4 - Wut?

Theres other stuff but in the past further back Halo games you had no AA, no perk, so when you spawned you were on equal footing besides maybe a weapon, which is why map control was so essential. Fighting over map control so you could get the next weapon drops was Halo. Pushing a team into their base and controlling them.

H4 is none of that. Its not the Halo I watched on the mainstage played for years, its not the Halo I played with my friends at LAN's...

Campaign, sure, I don't really care I played half of it and it was boring. I guess thats like Halo. Orange buttons. I concede on this point.

Thats your opinion man, H2 had high #'s H3 had high #'s, Reach is where the population was lost and that was the Halo with the most additional elements (before H4 - which also happens to have low #'s). The idea that evolving Halo is what is keeping the people who are still on Halo is just that, simply an idea, its not factual or true or proveable in anyway. My opinion is more people would continue to play Halo if you evolved Halo in a different direction other than copying CoD's elements.

I see your point and agree there should be a playlist with these settings in it. I'm not against you as they are valid points. I disagree that ALL Halo 4 has to be like the old classic settings, it does NOT.

CE, 2 & 3 to an extent had far less competition and FPS on console was taking dominance for online play. Different era mate, Halo will never return to that level of population dominance. I also still disagree with watching the peak population as some measure of players or games played per day, they are not the same statistics. Halo is still number 2 on Major Nelson charts, enough said.

I have no issue with Halo being #2, that's an achievement to be proud of. I would also like the feel of 2 flag games on The Pit and 1 flag on High Ground to return to matchmaking. I enjoy those more than the Halo 4 formula for sure but the general masses seem to not agree with us niche players. You being classic slayer and me being classic objective.

This might be the best thing I've read in a Halo thread.

It does fit so very well as an metaphor for the Halo games evolution.

I'm bored

A nice diagram but I still struggle to see the iteration or comparison between assault and extraction. I just don't get it and no way does extraction give me any feelings or skill sets like what I used when playing assault. No vehicle bomb rushes, no stealth bomb runs, no bomb returning, no bomb beat downs, no team escorting the bomb.

Extraction is all fixed points and so very similar to dominion it pains me, the assault lover.

willow ve

H1 - Pistol vs Pistol
H2 - BR vs BR
H3 - BR vs BR
Reach DMR vs DMR
H4 - Wut?

Theres other stuff but in the past further back Halo games you had no AA, no perk, so when you spawned you were on equal footing besides maybe a weapon, which is why map control was so essential. Fighting over map control so you could get the next weapon drops was Halo. Pushing a team into their base and controlling them. Thats pretty rock vs rock to me.

I Second the Motion and call for a vote.

Halo 3 (without equipment) was the pinnacle for Halo popularity and mass appeal. I drove to a Columbus MLG event, spent the night, drank far too much free Dr. Pepper and had a blast being one of the oldest people there that wasn't a parent. After Halo 3 the series has progressively moved away from what differentiated it from other shooters on the market. You could make the argument that "this is where the shooter market has been heading" or "they had to compete with COD" - but the numbers are pretty clear.

H3 was the king of Xbox Live and the king of the Halo games in terms of popularity and longevity of brand. Something that happened after H3 changed this formula and many players have moved on...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Perhaps, but until there is some sort of solid framework of radical changes in a different direction you can suggest to dethrone CoD, the majority of the CoD-like stuff they've added seems to be to try and attract and share that audience, to at the very least survive in the increasingly harsh market today. I really can't think of what they could have done otherwise to sustain the franchise and it's sales numbers.

Just making another Halo game wouldn't be enough, or Halo 4 would have fallen flat as that the playerbase that shifts from new FPS to new FPS would not have bothered with Halo 4 in the first place. A lot of what made those numbers so high was the fact that Halo was the big boy, maybe the only big boy in town at the time, and those numbers accounted for more than just the most dedicated, as not many alternative options existed back then. A completely different market exists today, and perhaps the #s being so low right now are just the most accurate ones we have ever had of those most dedicated.

Is that art everyone is posting available in big sizes for wallpapers?
Nope. The art I posted earlier and the one re-posted just now is in the highest res available.

GhaleonEB

Honestly, increasing the skill gap with something as shallow as learning which area to hold—because, for example, rockets will spawn in 3 minutes—is also damaging to the game. It makes the game more unfriendly to new players. It makes learning the maps much more paramount not for battle-to-battle situations, but for who is going to win the overall match.

Both with the current implementation of static ordnance spawns and the old static weapon spawns, the end result is that veteran players appear to arbitrarily have power weapons, and newer players will not understand where from as veterans are always snatching them up.

The real solution to both global and random ordnance balance is to have a countdown timer of around 15 seconds to warn of a resupply, and communicate that resupply both audibly and visually. Playing Infinity Slayer should feel a lot like playing King of the Hill (or Extraction), except the team that controls the hill will ultimately control a power weapon.

"Ordnance resupply incoming..."

*ordnance icons flash on the screen with small countdown timers appearing next to their icons*

"Ordnance resupplied."

Something to that effect.
I disagree entirely with the bold, but we arrive at generally the same conclusions. I valued fixed ordnance spawns because 1) it enabled strategies to counter the opposing team and 2) because maps could be designed to have specific points where ordnance contests would take place and they were interesting mini-objectives during the game.

To point 1): when your team or down, and/or the other team is rampaging with vehicles, in past Halo games the winning strategy was to seek out and obtain positions and ordnance to counter. Say, rockets or lasers or snipers or missile pods, etc. With Halo 4 the strategy is to hope for the best.

To point 2): I enjoyed the cadence of contesting weapon locations. Often they were placed in locations where fun skirmishes would happen, the outcome of which could tip the scales of the match or enable a comeback. I've had tons of close games that were decided because we were able to win one of those battles. (When designing maps in Forge, I'd be thinking about weapon placement as I designed them.) To make a rough analogy, those games are like making a clutch shot or defensive play as time runs out. With Halo 4 those games can be won because a hoop spawned next to the right player. It's not fun, and sucks so much strategy from the match.

That said, I would not object to fixed ordnance spawns with waypoints for players to follow. I'd even be fine with a countdown as you suggested (though I'd go for 5 seconds not 15, but that's a quibble). I think that would strike a fair balance between informing new players where the critical ordanance si on the map and helping to let them know when it's incoming, while still preserving the tug of war style battles for ordnance.

I remain flummoxed at the way global ordnance was implemented.

I think their intention is to prevent a team from controlling a certain power weapon spawn. After the initial respawn, you will be running in circles looking for a weapon. It ruins the game when there's a warthog/ghost mowing down your team and you want a rocket launcher or spartan laser to kill him.
Agree.

Perhaps, but until there is some sort of solid framework of radical changes in a different direction you can suggest to dethrone CoD, the majority of the CoD-like stuff they've added seems to be to try and attract and share that audience, to at the very least survive in the increasingly harsh market today. I really can't think of what they could have done otherwise to sustain the franchise and it's sales numbers.
My formula for making a modern competitive FPS with legs: Training modes (certification missions for each gametype), map overview including weapon spawns/timing and any out-of-band information displayed while loading the match, mercenaries playlists, all FREE map packs to keep the community whole, renovated matchmaking/game browser that doesn't funnel the community into a handful of lists, a decent pre-release beta with time to incorporate data and feedback and fixes, and all community features available day 1.

I Second the Motion and call for a vote.

Halo 3 (without equipment)

If you narrow you field of view to just MLG your statement is true but the default Halo 3 (with equipment) far exceeded just the MLG or hardcore playlists (without equipment).

If you take the matchmaking playlists and population numbers then "default Halo 3 (with equipment)" was always the number one.

You can't just bend your perspective for your debate point, it's not based in reality. I do agree for MLG specifically that Halo 3 (no equip.) was the most popular. Perhaps now it is time MLG embraced more of the sandbox for the viewing public? Imagine pros doing warthog runs with a flag tied 4 caps to 4 caps with 30 seconds left.

I know that's what I love about Halo and I've never watched MLG due to not wanting to watch spawn trapping or BR vs. BR for 15 mins straight.

Is that art everyone is posting available in big sizes for wallpapers?

You could request it from the artist's blog directly...

Blog 1

Blog 2

The worst part about personal ordinance is how it allows a camping team to remain entrenched in one position. Hell, it oftentimes encourages this behavior.

"Trying to take the middle area on Vortex? HA, good luck getting past the rockets, Incineration Cannons, Fuel Rods, and Binary Rifles the other team is holding. Here, take this Needler."

The "not a Halo game" shit is hilarious. The core gameplay and gunplay, the foundation for any shooter including Halo, still plays like Halo. The gametypes still very much play like Halo. It still feels like Halo. It still for the most part flows like Halo MP does, at an accelerated and a bit more.. uncertain pace. A lot of the stuff they've added like personal ordnance and loadouts is in many ways evolutionary for Halo, it just hasn't been beta tested here. People would be bitching a lot less if the Boltshot was a little less powerful and the maps didn't skew towards DMR ranges.

Like I said, the hyperbole in this thread is baffling. People here really, deeply offended by Halo 4. The game has it's exorbitant amount of problems, but it still very damn well plays like Halo. This extends to the campaign as well.
I endorse this message.

Satchel

Banned
H1 - Pistol vs Pistol
H2 - BR vs BR
H3 - BR vs BR
Reach DMR vs DMR
H4 - Wut?

so much of your post is just twisted to suit your agenda it isn't funny.

you talk about the drop in numbers from Reach on.

modern warfare released in 2007 with Halo 3. So technically Halo 3 is to blame for "allowing" CoD to take the players away.

What competition did Halo 2 have? Dumb argument.

also, that first section pistol vs pistol etc. What does that all even mean? Reach had loadouts and 3 had equipment soooooo....?

J10

Banned
The worst part about personal ordinance is how it allows a camping team to remain entrenched in one position. Hell, it oftentimes encourages this behavior.

"Trying to take the middle area on Vortex? HA, good luck getting past the rockets, Incineration Cannons, Fuel Rods, and Binary Rifles the other team is holding. Here, take this Needler."

Primary reason why I stopped playing.

FyreWulff

A nice diagram but I still struggle to see the iteration or comparison between assault and extraction. I just don't get it and no way does extraction give me any feelings or skill sets like what I used when playing assault. No vehicle bomb rushes, no stealth bomb runs, no bomb returning, no bomb beat downs, no team escorting the bomb.

Extraction is all fixed points and so very similar to dominion it pains me, the assault lover.

I'm kind of torn on that at the moment. Maybe after I could actually play it.

Maybe I'll end up considering it more Territories than Assault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom