• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

fawaz

Banned
Are any of the upcoming maps arena style? Or more more dynamic maps with " nooks and crannies?"

Honestly,I feel bad for anyone who had pay for crimson. Makes me miss snowbound and isolation.

Yup. I seriously regret my LE purchase. I'd rather just have the normal case too at this point. The more time that passes the more I feel bad about it. I figured I'd buy it because of the pass and because it was something they thought would be cool. :(

Yup, I just really didn't get anything out of this LE. I do not regret Reach or the Halo 3 LE though, despite them not being limited.
Hey guys, they aren't removing the content from anyone who got it for free:

So yeah, feel bad for those who bought the map pass, even more so for those who got the LE considering the specializations giveaway.

wtf.

That's fine. We can agree to disagree. I can completely understand being upset largely at how it's been handled from the PR/marketing end. I totally get that. What I don't get is the notion of being livid someone else might have gotten something for free that you paid for. Them getting it for free doesn't diminish it's value. If it does, maybe it wasn't that valuable to you to begin with. In fact, maybe that's what this whole thing boils down too. I'm not bothered because I think that the maps are worth 2400 (all three packs). I paid (essentially) 2000. Therefore, I got a great deal. It bothers me none whatsoever that someone else might get it for free. Lord knows I've gotten my fair share of freebies. I've got no issue with others getting some too.

I still love you all and apologize for some of my over-combativeness. It's been an odd evening.

I think you're ultimately missing the point. The maps weren't given to people for free. They were taken for free when they shouldn't have been.

Blinding

Anybody know where they outsourced their PR team to?

Don't know, but I do know their support staff is just as confused as us:

@blinding We don't have specifics to share on that. Once the trial is over it will need to be purchased to continue use. ^RH

I don't see how they're going to remove the content though. it's not coded as trial DLC, and as far as I know they don't have a means of removing content from people's HDDs, the best they could do is replace it with something else in the download history so those who try to redownload can't, but that would require them to be able to differentiate between those who got it for free and those who didn't which I'm not sure they can. Hm.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Can anyone friend me or join my game so I can grab the halo 2 and 3 maps that we played on with the modded gametype not too long ago?

GT is same as my name on here.

Homeboyd

Hey guys, they aren't removing the content from anyone who got it for free:

So yeah, feel bad for those who bought the map pass, even more so for those who got the LE considering the specializations giveaway.

Don't know, but I do know their support staff is just as confused as us:

I don't see how they're going to remove the content though. it's not coded as trial DLC, and as far as I know they don't have a means of removing content from people's HDDs, the best they could do is replace it with something else in the download history so those who try to redownload can't, but that would require them to be able to differentiate between those who got it for free and those who didn't which I'm not sure they can. Hm.
I read both of those tweets the same way. The first tweet you quoted also said that those who got the maps for free would have to pay to continue accessing them after the trial period.

i.e. (his tweet): ‏@XboxSupport1:

"@blinding After the trial period is over, those that have not purchased the map pack or map pass and want to continue accessing them will (have to pay)"

Pop

So guys we can expect 400 points in return right for map pass owners and 800 points back to people who bought them out right? I MEAN, right guyss...

This shit is ridiculous.

Blinding

I read both of those tweets the same way. The first tweet you quoted also said that those who got the maps for free would have to pay to continue accessing them after the trial period.

i.e. (his tweet): ‏@XboxSupport1:

"@blinding After the trial period is over, those that have not purchased the map pack or map pass and want to continue accessing them will (have to pay)"

I didn't read the first one that way at all. It's possible that's what they could have meant, but again, I'm not sure how they could turn regular DLC into trial DLC, much less differentiate between those who get the map pack for free and those who didn't (since the Map Pass seems to be a key for the Marketplace showing the 0 MSP price instead of a key to a entirely separate file of the map pack at that price.)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wow okay, I think I found something about the special delivery achievement that may be helpful:

On Wreckage, I used the man cannon and bounced around after I got off of the man cannon (carrying the momentum of the launch) until I got close to a dude who I shot up a but and then melee'd to get the achievement.

What this leads me to believe is that the achievement works on a timer after you get off of the man cannon, my estimate is within 10 seconds. So it doesn't have to be get a kill JUST as you land.

Karl2177

Wow okay, I think I found something about the special delivery achievement that may be helpful:

On Wreckage, I used the man cannon and bounced around after I got off of the man cannon (carrying the momentum of the launch) until I got close to a dude who I shot up a but and then melee'd to get the achievement.

What this leads me to believe is that the achievement works on a timer after you get off of the man cannon, my estimate is within 10 seconds. So it doesn't have to be get a kill JUST as you land.

I got ODST on Shatter after sticking a guy and him charging me causing us both to die. The man cannon achievements are just straight up broken in both theory and practice.

Let's post our dream patch notes.

New features
-added red X icons where teammates die
-added 'always on' proximity voice for all teammates and enemies
-added option to disable music in multiplayer
-added a spectator option in custom games
-added several new options for custom game configuration including all missing options from Halo Reach
-added new ranking system for long term player investment
-added precision movement and zoom to Forge
-players in the same party now share a party icon
-it is now possible to move around while pressing Back to view the score during a game
-more party details are available for friends

Playlist Updates
-replaced Big Team Infinity Slayer playlist with Big Team Battle, a mix of slayer and objective gametypes
-removed instant spawn on all objective gametypes
-added new playlists: Action Sack, Grifball, Spectator, Classic Slayer, Classic Objective (including a new gametype "Assault")

Balance
-slightly reduced Boltshot range and increased charged shot time
-slightly reduced DMR range
-slightly increased Carbine damage
-the Railgun now has two rounds available per clip

Bug Fixes
-several miscellanious bug fixes
-fixed bugs that occasionally deleted loadouts, campaign progress and other saved data
-announcer is now audible in film clips
-fixed bug that prevented the party leader from choosing a playlist
-improved netcode
-made Halo 4 game of the forever

Omni

I've been thinking... is it even possible to add a death indicator? (the x)

In previous Halo games I'm pretty sure the UI was all bundled together within the level or something and the only way to add in extra options would be to download it all again (like the whole level). Is this right?

I'm still reading that we have to pay. Call me crazy.
You're not crazy. People are only reading the answer without the question.

And man do I suck at CTF. Seem to be doing pretty decent at Extraction though. And King of the Hill on shatter sucks, more than usual. Too much terrain to cross.

It’s Surprising How Much Art Goes Into Making Halo’s Multiplayer Maps (Kotaku)
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

More awesome pics at Kotaku.

You normally associate great concept art with the act of building a world and its characters. You know, singleplayer stuff. But a shooter's multiplayer maps still need to be designed and dreamt up, and in cases like this the art can be just as stunning.

The pieces you're about to see are by Michael Pedro, an artist at Certain Affinity, a small studio that lends a quiet, helping hand on the multiplayer side of some of the biggest games around. The latest of which was Halo 4.

You can see more of Michael's art at his personal site and CGHub page.

So, we knew CA helped with the MP, but I guess this confirms they did Solace and Adrift? Did 343 even make the MP on this game?

Solace looks so good. I'd like Adrift more if the areas were better defined for easy callouts, but that skybox (spacebox?) is gorgeous.

I wish some more areas in game had lighting like that first pic.

So, we knew CA helped with the MP, but I guess this confirms they did Solace and Adrift? Did 343 even make the MP on this game?
They're both repurposed from Reach campaign spaces that got cut. You can tell from the escarpments.

TheOddOne

Good god, would people stop being so ignorant. It’s regurgitated hate for nothing. We know they did the multiplayer, freaking even 343 admits it. The thing though is that people think they did everything, instead it's actually a co-op thing.

Good god, would people stop being so ignorant. It’s regurgitated hate for nothing. We know they did the multiplayer, freaking even 343 admits it. The thing though is that people think they did everything, instead it's actually a co-op thing.

I like Halo 4.

But I really am confused about why so many different devs worked on the maps. It just does not make for a strong, consistent experience. 343 originally said they did the Forge maps... and then a little info came out that they may have helped with more like creating Dominion... Now it turns out they pumped out art for shipping maps (that I like). I just find the whole thing to be weird as hell.

FyreWulff

Apparently Dew can tell which country a code is from. They made me go to the Canadian site to redeem the exp code off this slurpee cup, but my Pepsi account still worked over on the Canadian version.

It actually had a nice error and everything saying it was a Canadian code. Seemed pointless in the end though since it's the same site and has the same dashboard info, just won't let you redeem unless you're on the proper domain name.

Overdoziz

Banned
Good Lord, people will bitch about anything. HEAVEN FORBID they show good customer service and allow more people to experience the product.

The second anyone thinks they are somehow getting "cheated" out of something (whether it's true or not), or that someone else is somehow getting in some convoluted way a "better deal", it's FREAK OUT ENTITLEMENT TIME.

Get the hell over yourselves.

(If you aren't acting like this, then it's not addressed at you)
People paid money for a product which other people got for free at the moment the product was released and you call them entitled? That's fucked up, dude.

TheOddOne

I like Halo 4.

But I really am confused about why so many different devs worked on the maps. It just does not make for a strong, consistent experience. 343 originally said they did the Forge maps... and then a little info came out that they may have helped with more like creating Dominion... Now it turns out they pumped out art for shipping maps (that I like). I just find the whole thing to be weird as hell.
Where in my post did I ever accuse you of not liking Halo 4? What does that even matter in this discussion? We already knew CA did major lifting and we know that Kynan Pearson help design most of maps. That is not new news at all, you know it and we all know it.

Oh for fuck sake Microsoft. You made that shit up. I'm going to be honest and say that hardly anyone would have been handing away their spec code if they knew it'd get the first map pack for free.

And now I'm miffed that I missed out on this because I gave away my spec code because I thought it was worthless.

Surely all of this false advertisement is grounds for some kind of anti-consumerist claim? This new pr from Microsoft is ridiculous. Make the maps free for everyone - apologise to LE owners and offer some token gift. Don't start bullshitting.

Also i missed the conversation earlier but I personally play a lot more call of duty now that halo sucks. I think halo sucking is the problem and not CoD- Halo's population was fine until Reach.

Where in my post did I ever accuse you of not liking Halo 4? What does that even matter in this discussion? We already knew CA did major lifting and we know that Kynan Pearson help design most of maps. That is not new news at all, you know it and we all know it.

I never said you accused me of anything like that, but to be clear I have said mostly positive things or not said much at all.. I certainly haven't been making negative posts to hell and back, and that post wasn't just to stir shit. I actually did not realize how involved CA were with MP.. maybe its common knowledge now and I just missed it before, but for me its news. Yes I knew they were involved, but I didn't realize they flat out designed some of the MP maps. Its just strange.. the game only launched with 10 maps and less features than previous titles.. its just crazy how little got done with so much outsourcing. Its clear 343 had issues getting this game out the door or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom