• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, can any of you guys code XBC to work with 360 games so we can play Halo 4 through System Link on it? Custom Games Browser at its finest.

Xbox 360 games can be played fine on XBC the issue is that the 360 requires a less than 30ms ping to play online ( I thinks thats what it was) modders removed this from the console ages ago how do you think people played pirated reach online before launch not Xbl that's for sure

That Majora's Mask remix album is awesome

edit: Wow Clocktown is amazing

I was all giddy bout my newfound ability to record direct footage now.. did an entire run on End of the World As We Know it in Blitz..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YImDNsJdKtk&list=UU54w1iBZ16aaQ4JQDOqAJwg&index=1

It was blocked in the US by THREE different companies 5 seconds after it went up .. :(

That sucks, but it's not surprising. Companies blocking videos on YouTube is an automated procedure. Although you'd think that they wouldn't care so much about an old R.E.M song, lol

Sai-kun

Banned
Ah good point!

This is a great post, and we also would have accepted:

image.php

as a response.

PM details are lucky 13 PM's received total during Heckfu vs. Ozzy round 1. Unanimously bitching about an inner circle gang up here thorough out OT's history and those who don't like the game create a bad atmosphere here. All thanked me for "standing up" and over 2/3 thanked me for my game thoughts or contributions here. About half wanted an older HaloGAF from halo 3 days to return.

1 PM from a moderator about edits but I halted action as I normally enjoy Heckfu posts or drunkfu etc. Mods are quite professional here by the way.

I won't post exact details or names, they obviously don't want to share such comments publicly or names or become a target scapegoat.

As for the peak stats they aren't the most important. Example, how many are unique players rotating in or out over the course of a day or between peaks? It skews the unique players or total games per day, the crux of my point. Further the Halo 3 stats are very similar to current Halo 4 or Reach data as well, yet no one takes that on board.

Also show me the peaks and troughs for BLOPSII as well as say XBL #3 & #4, then we can compare the peak trend at least in a reasonable fashion.

People are in denial now. The Halo population is below 100k now, that's a fact. Halocharts is dishing out ownage on a regular basis.

Once again take 100k then say 50% unique player rotation per hour and that's 1.2million unique players per day then add SPOPS, customs, coop & campaign unique players to that, way more than 1.2million. The reason why XBL has #2 spot for Halo 4.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Ah good point!

I'd argue you have that graph upside down. The point highlighted on the left shows the casuals, and underneath that are the fans. After that its just the nubs left, fans are done.

Has MLG said they're not doing Halo 4 yet? I can't imagine it being anything but a shit-show.

blamite

PM details are lucky 13 PM's received total during Heckfu vs. Ozzy round 1. Unanimously bitching about an inner circle gang up here thorough out OT's history and those who don't like the game create a bad atmosphere here. All thanked me for "standing up" and over 2/3 thanked me for my game thoughts or contributions here. About half wanted an older HaloGAF from halo 3 days to return.

1 PM from a moderator about edits but I halted action as I normally enjoy Heckfu posts or drunkfu etc. Mods are quite professional here by the way.

I won't post exact details or names, they obviously don't want to share such comments publicly or names or become a target scapegoat.

As for the peak stats they aren't the most important. Example, how many are unique players rotating in or out over the course of a day or between peaks? It skews the unique players or total games per day, the crux of my point. Further the Halo 3 stats are very similar to current Halo 4 or Reach data as well, yet no one takes that on board.

Also show me the peaks and troughs for BLOPSII as well as say XBL #3 & #4, then we can compare the peak trend at least in a reasonable fashion.

Once again take 100k then say 50% unique player rotation per hour and that's 1.2million unique players per day then add SPOPS, customs, coop & campaign. The reason why XBL has #2 spot for Halo 4
Feels like HaloGAF, trust us.

Havok

Which stats? I'm genuinely curious. The ones you posted earlier are snapshots from very, very different times of day, the lows being nowhere near peak hours if the timestamps are in US timezones (the outlier being the second number posted, which is so low at such a time of day that I think something was screwy with the count, which happened every once in a while on bnet). I agree that you can't make an apples to apples comparison between unique users and peaks, but those numbers don't really support your case (trying to compare peak trends) when the data collection method is so obviously poor.

Though it's unlabeled, the graph that Cyren posted a few pages back of H3's launch window seems to be a daily peak/low population graph akin to what we're currently getting with Halocharts, with the blue line as an average (there's no reason that I can think of, however inebriated, to assume a total unique user/day graph would have those peaks and valleys - the Reach UU graph's shape is what I'm basing that assumption on). I think that's the best data we're going to get for that timeframe, since it's straight from a Bungie presentation, though sure, we have no way of knowing what those users were actually playing. That's fair.

Going from your post below...I frankly don't know what your point was with those stats then. The stats don't mean anything on their own, there's no trend being shown in there, there's no context for any of it because we don't even have a proper timezone label. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding. Please though, and this is genuine, stop being so defensive and combative towards folks that are trying to have a normal discussion over what you're saying. It's just a conversation. I'm not attacking anyone, but sometimes your tone makes it very hard to be civil. I try to get some context for what your point was with the stats you posted, and all of a sudden I'm apparently jumping to conclusions, and something something "proof" and something something "you people" and I'm the bad guy.

Its #2 cause whats going to compete with the newest Halo right now? Theres nothing else out. Also by the way I wouldnt be surprised if it loses the #2 spot soon...

Also peak and unique isnt really the important stat, I'd say hourly is the most important as thats what you have in MM to use for Trueskill, the lower the hourly pool the more miserable MM will be.

Who knows what the Campaign + Spec Ops #'s are but I assume they are lower and mimic the MM #'s if we were to base the fact that Campaign MM was never highly populated in Reach.

People buy the campaign and play it a bit, they dont continue to play it.

I'd argue you have that graph upside down. The point highlighted on the left shows the casuals, and underneath that are the fans. After that its just the nubs left, fans are done.

Has MLG said they're not doing Halo 4 yet? I can't imagine it being anything but a shit-show.

Yea lol I just didnt know who is still actually playing, I guess the casual BK's? Pro's who are still unsure of if they need to practice or not, depending on MLG...I dunno. Kids who just saved up enough money to get the game. Mastrbiggy seems to play everyngiht enabling 343. :)

Seriously were at a point where your vote matters! If you want the Halo from yesterday VOTE with actions!

Which stats? I'm genuinely curious The ones you posted earlier are snapshots from very, very different times of day, the lows being nowhere near peak hours if the timestamps are in US timezones (the outlier being the second number posted, which is so low at such a time of day that I think something was screwy with the count, which happened every once in a while on bnet). I agree that you can't make an apples to apples comparison between unique users and peaks, but those numbers don't really support your case (trying to compare peak trends) when the data collection method is so obviously poor.

What case would that be, searching for the factual numbers? You can go ahead and use web archive to do a 5 years x 365 x hourly numbers per day and then by 3, Reach and Halo 4. The point the waypoint member did by gathering those was to take a reasonable cross sections of times from a monthly sample section. I think for accuracy, time of day spread and how much time you'd sink into that hobby research those numbers are more accurate than any conjecture opinion.

I have no case to make but finding the truth. Just because you want to jump to conclusions about the incorrect statistic as a means to your "proof" doesn't mean I choose to do the same.

I've never said Halo 4 is the most popular halo multiplayer nor have I said much about the population. I've simply applied logic and the best available research across multiple titles to compare to the current Halo 4 populace.

If only XBL would release the numbers on their charts.

People buy the campaign and play it a bit, they dont continue to play it.

Exactly why you have that peak chart effect. Think it was Frankie in pre launch saying approx. half just play campaign almost exclusively hence why SPOPS was conceived.

Anyhow time for XMAS/end of world holidays. Have a happy and safe holidays all.

I am a Halo player (or I was). I play (ed) during prime time on the eastern side of the US. Peak population numbers are the best way for me to understand if my time playing multiplayer is going to involve full playlists with fair matches and good hosts.

When the peak population number drops it directly affects my enjoyment of the game because the game stops matching me up with even teams and lag increases. I don't understand why it is so hard for some people to grasp this.

I don't care how many people put the disc in their 360. I don't care how many people played Spops for 2 hours on the other side of the world from me. I care how many people are in each of the MP playlists at the peak hours of the day. Why can't people get this?

You don't get it, do you? 343 and MS made loads of cash and that's all that really matters.

I'm just trying to look out for the Certain Affinity/Digital Extremes of the world.

On a related note: I posted in the Dota 2 key begging thread.

I am a Halo player (or I was). I play (ed) during prime time on the eastern side of the US. Peak population numbers are the best way for me to understand if my time playing multiplayer is going to involve full playlists with fair matches and good hosts.

When the peak population number drops it directly affects my enjoyment of the game because the game stops matching me up with even teams and lag increases. I don't understand why it is so hard for some people to grasp this.

I don't care how many people put the disc in their 360. I don't care how many people played Spops for 2 hours on the other side of the world from me. I care how many people are in each of the MP playlists at the peak hours of the day. Why can't people get this?

You don't get it, do you? 343 and MS made loads of cash and that's all that really matters.

Booties

Banned

Once again take 100k then say 50% unique player rotation per hour and that's 1.2million unique players per day then add SPOPS, customs, coop & campaign unique players to that, way more than 1.2million. The reason why XBL has #2 spot for Halo 4.

I can never understand anything you try to say on this forum. Are you 14, foreign, or worse?

Can we get a Haven Infinity Slayer playlist please?

If you really have to, you could throw some Solace into the mix.
But no Abandon until the Boltshot is nerfed.
No Adrift until more frequent Global Ordnance is dropped in contested areas.
No Complex ever in another 4v4 playlist.

Sordid

Halo 4 has been out less than 2 months, that list of Halo 3 population numbers isn't really relevant just now. The only comparable stat is:

February 12th, 2008
Halo 3, players online: 119,477

So Halo 3, ~5 months after release, had more concurrent players than Halo 4 has <2 months after release. Halo 4's population might shoot up next year and ruin the comparison but I can't see what would prompt that tbh.

There were a lot less 360's in the wild in 2007 than there are now, you'd expect the fan base to have grown in 5 years. It seems that for every new fan they've gained with the CoDification they've alienated another.

Halo 4 has been out less than 2 months, that list of Halo 3 population numbers is pretty worthless just now. The only comparable stat is:

So Halo 3, ~5 months after release, had more concurrent players than Halo 4 has <2 months after release. Halo 4's population might shoot up next year and ruin the comparison but I can't see what would prompt that tbh.

There were a lot less 360's in the wild in 2007 than there are now. It seems that for every new fan they've gained with the CoDification they've alienated another, the fanbase just isn't growing.

Comparing Halo 3's congruent users to Reach's or Halo 4's doesn't work because the numbers were reported every 30 minutes in Halo 3, but every 60 seconds in Reach. This caused much more backlogging and inflated numbers for Halo 3's numbers. I don't think 343 has said anything about it, but I assume Halo 4 reports numbers every 60 seconds like Reach. For the record, I believe that most COD games record numbers every 30 minutes as well (not sure about the most recent couple of games), making their numbers a bit inflated compared to Reach and assumingly H4 as well.

The number that can be compared is number of users per 24 hours as Bungie posted that number for both Halo 3 and Reach. 343 doesn't post that number for Reach or H4 though.

Sordid

Comparing Halo 3's congruent users to Reach's or Halo 4's doesn't work because the numbers were reported every 30 minutes in Halo 3, but every 60 seconds in Reach. This caused much more backlogging and inflated numbers for Halo 3's numbers. I don't think 343 has said anything about it, but I assume Halo 4 reports numbers every 60 seconds like Reach. For the record, I believe that most COD games record numbers every 30 minutes as well (not sure about the most recent couple of games), making their numbers a bit inflated compared to Reach and assumingly H4 as well.

The number that can be compared is number of users per 24 hours as Bungie posted that number for both Halo 3 and Reach. 343 doesn't post that number for Reach or H4 though.

Right enough, I forgot about that. It's the best means of comparison we have at the moment though. Even if due to the different logging times Halo 4 is slightly beating 3 population wise I wouldn't class it as a roaring success. Not a failure by any means (most devs would love to sell million of copies of their first game and peak at ~100,000 players playing concurrently!) but there's been no growth.

I wonder if 343 are worried about that or if they're happy to stay where they are?

Eh? Not even I could understand the first part of his post.

Translation: Here's the details on PMs I mentioned since you asked. There were 13 PMs in all, that's a lucky number. I received all the PMs during "Round 1 of Heckfu vs Ozzy" that happened earlier. All the PMs complained about an inner circle "gang" of members throughout the history of the thread. They claimed that these members don't like the game and create a bad atmosphere in the thread. All the people who sent the PMs thanked me for "standing up" to this "gang", and two thirds of the PMs thanked me for my thoughts on the game and the contributions I've made to the thread. Around half of the PMs mentioned wanting a return to an "older HaloGAF" that existed around the time of Halo 3.

If you slow down and think a bit you can get the gist of it. It's pretty easy to understand actually. Sometimes I think that some people here prefer to just stick their fingers in their ears and yell: "BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH", rather than attempt to have a rational, and civil discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom