• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawpgun

okokokok lets not argue semantics here now. Maybe the things listed aren't 100% universal, but from what I've seen on GAF, Waypoint, Reddit, Youtube comments, etc It seems that the majority of players see the things I listed as bad and needing some kind of changing. I get that the majority of players don't post their feelings of the game on the internet... and maybe its just bias but to me, that makes it seem like they really don't care as much as the rest of us, meaning they wouldn't really mind much if things changed. And even if they did we have no way of knowing what their opinions are.

To answer my own question, I think we'll definitely see a playlist with static spawns.

I don't see them touching the DMR in any way unfortunately. And unless there's a way of banning weapons from a playlist without making set loadouts... BTB will be forever ruined by custom classes. RIP BTB 2001-2010. Seriously my favorite way to play Halo, and I haven't had fun in it since Halo 3 :(

They should, however, get rid of personal ordnance in BTB. You already can pack plasma shit in your loadout, thats MORE than enough to take care of vehicles. Then, make the only weapons on map global (hopefully static) ordnance. BTB Infinity feels like fucking Heavies all the time. I hate heavies.

Unfortunately, Fyrewullf brought up a good point. 343's addition of custom classes killed any hope of managing what players can have in most playlists. They'll probably keep the vast majority of the game the big custom class random clusterfuck that it is.

The positives I can expect...

I think if its possible the red X's will get put back in eventually. Still haven't heard the reasoning behind their removal.

I think the boltshot will DEFINITELY be getting a nerf if there's a gameplay TU. Since you can't ban it, my ideal nerf would be to make its charge shot take out shields in the same range that would have been a kill, and in the range where it knocks out shields, make it take off half or something. If possible, beef up the individual bolts. Make it so it can kill a spartan with 2 bolts remaining, assuming you get the final headshot.

I think the Thruster might get some kind of a buff. At LEAST make it as good as the one in campaign. Hardlight shield needs to be melee-able, like they SAID IT WOULD BE. If there is a way to make it so you can't have camo when zoomed in with the snipe... make it so, or nerf it somehow, idk. More visible? They really fucked up in including it as an AA again when they had the PERFECT opportunity to make it an ordnance power up. I'm glad they nerfed the jetpack from Reach, but I'm sad its still in the game in its current form. I think the very fundamental idea behind the jetpack breaks the game. They could have at least made it so you can't shoot (like sprinting)

These would all be nice, but the biggest change I'm hoping for is STATIC ORDNANCE DROPS ACROSS THE BOARD. I think this is VERY doable. Global ordnance really fucking killed a big part of Halo. They removed the engine behind breaking stalemates and map flow.

Basically, I'm hoping with these changes, base Halo gameplay will become a solid experience again. Unfortunately do to custom loadouts, BTB is forever ruined again for me. Maybe in Halo 5...

Released

A lot of memorable CTF matches and comebacks on Elongation, and a lot of memorable TS standoffs on Gemini. They weren't the best maps back then, but looking at the current crop we are handed it's pretty good.

Remember that MLG match on Gemini between Str8 and FB that ended with a score of like 12-8? Good times.

But yeah, I agree. Even the worst maps back then were often good for something. Can't really say the same now.

Booties

Banned
If I learned anything from Halo 4 it's that 343 isn't going to be anything like bungie. The game isn't going to be as good out of the box and it isn't going to be taken care of while it's being played. Updates will be made, playlists will change, but it won't be what many people want and it won't fix any problems. When Halo 5 comes out I'll get CoD 5 or whatever they're at by then. I'll wait a month or so to see if Halo 5 is any good, maybe borrow it for the campaign, but I'm done with Halo multiplayer for good.

My top 16 multiplayer maps:
(I have weird taste)

16. Construct
15. Desolation
14. Colossus
13. Headlong
12. Sidewinder / Avalanche
11. Gephyrophobia
10. Infinity
9. Sandtrap
8. Relic
7. Solace
6. Blood Gulch / Coagulation
5. Boarding Action
4. Chiron TL-34
3. Terminal
2. Containment
1. Waterworks

Rev3rb

If I learned anything from Halo 4 it's that 343 isn't going to be anything like bungie. The game isn't going to be as good out of the box and it isn't going to be taken care of while it's being played. Updates will be made, playlists will change, but it won't be what many people want and it won't fix any problems. When Halo 5 comes out I'll get CoD 5 or whatever they're at by then. I'll wait a month or so to see if Halo 5 is any good, maybe borrow it for the campaign, but I'm done with Halo multiplayer for good.

I hate these words. I UTTERLY HATE THESE WORDS.

No you're not

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think this is a fairly illogical conclusion based on only one major product they've put out, especially being a new studio. Bungie had neither of those two circumstances for their latest Halo games, and even still amends had to be made to Halo 2 (which was still a cheaters heaven because of technical limitations), Halo 3 (melee namely, best "out of the box" product though) and Halo Reach with regards to matchmaking and balance.

When you add new stuff, irrelevant of how much new stuff, which is pretty much essential to ensure people still buy your product, it is impossible to predict the metagame, no matter how much playtesting you have beforehand.

Tunavi

Banned
The problem 343 has with halo 5 will be the low install base of the Xbox 3. Halo 4 sold so much because there are so many 360's out there. Unless H5 sets itself apart from Cod, not sure if it will sell systems.

Tawpgun

Yeah I'm not getting Halo 5 at launch either, I don't think.

The old "fool me once" adage is appropriate here.

Honestly, I'll have to see what they do. Hopefully marketing will be better. If it stays on Halo 4's current path I think I'll have to come to terms with the fact that 343 is taking Halo MP in a direction I don't like at all.

I'll wish em good luck on their pursuits and go on to play other games.

The problem 343 has with halo 5 will be the low install base of the Xbox 3. Halo 4 sold so much because there are so many 360's out there. Unless H5 sets itself apart from Cod, not sure if it will sell systems.

The problem 343 will have will be making Halo 5 good.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There's pretty much no way Halo 5 won't have a beta. It'll help push consoles + games early on in the 720's life cycle (Crackdown 3 from different devs plz) and 343s freed up development cycle will allow it as well with the growing pains out of the way.

TheOddOne

The thing about is that it will sell considerably well on the next console because of one big factor: graphics. Yes, I said it. It is the first thing that mainstream and to certain extent buy-a-game-on-day-one gamer latch onto. It might seem like a big generalization, but it is huge factor. Go see the GOTY thread over at gaming side to see what I am talking about.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The thing about is that it will sell considerably well on the next console because of one big factor: graphics. Yes, I said it. It is the first thing that mainstream and to certain extent buy-a-game-on-day-one gamer latch onto. It might seem like a big generalization, but it is huge factor. Go see the GOTY thread over at gaming side to see what I am talking about.
Graphics have always been a sticking point, it's also why Halo 3's reveal had so many wows and how the early PR for it built the foundation for the hype machine. It's also why 30fps will always be worth the compromise for some extra graphical fidelity.

The "AAA" label put on games usually correlates better to a game's graphical capabilities than content and/or gameplay depth.

Tunavi

Banned
Halo 1 was a magical game. I don't think we'll ever get that kind of excitement while actually playing a Halo game again.

I want to play the CEA playlists again, does anyone have a Reach GoD code they want to sell?

TheOddOne

Graphics have always been a sticking point, it's also why Halo 3's reveal had so many wows and how the early PR for it built the foundation for the hype machine. It's also why 30fps will always be worth the compromise for some extra graphical fidelity.

The "AAA" label put on games usually correlates better to a game's graphical capabilities than content and/or gameplay depth.
My problem with people who latch onto graphics is that they focus on the most shallow thing about videogames. You can have all the high tech new stuff in there, but if the gameplay base is nothing more than big flashing light bulbs in your face stuff then why even praise it?

For example Uncharted, it’s a really gorgeous game and the characters are fully realized but the gameplay underneath it is just the most boring thing ever. Yet every review goes on and on about it being beautiful and neglects to say that you pretty much walk a straight line. Still I love the Uncharted franchise, but take away the graphics and nobody would give two shits about it. Which is a huge problem, mediocre gameplay systems get covered up by pretty graphics. Eventually all triple A titles will follow this route.

On a unrelated subject: check out (and pledge if you can) Radio the Universe (Zelda x Sci-fi).

Marco1

As much as I love the halo games, I am now done with them.
I find H4 story to be the worse and have no interest seeing how it ends.
The best thing though is that dumping the story means I can now choose between xboxnext or PS4 without thinking I need xbox for halo.

Fracas

#fuckonami
My problem with people who latch onto graphics is that they focus on the most shallow thing about videogames. You can have all the high tech new stuff in there, but if the gameplay base is nothing more than big flashing light bulbs in your face stuff then why even praise it?

For example Uncharted, it’s a really gorgeous game and the characters are fully realized but the gameplay underneath it is just the most boring thing ever. Yet every review goes on and on about it being beautiful and neglects to say that you pretty much walk a straight line. Still I love the Uncharted franchise, but take away the graphics and nobody would give to shits about it. Which is a huge problem, mediocre gameplay systems get covered up by pretty graphics. Eventually all triple A titles will follow this route.
iA0pZDL9HPvbh.gif

Uncharted 2 is one of the best games this gen.
As much as I love the halo games, I am now done with them.
I find H4 story to be the worse and have no interest seeing how it ends.
The best thing though is that dumping the story means I can now choose between xboxnext or PS4 without thinking I need xbox for halo.

The ending is really good. You should at least watch it on Youtube

So after playing a few frustrating matches of swat and slayer on adrift(worst fucking level ever) along with the shit netcode that results in every single kill being kill for kill I decided to pop in my Halo 3 multiplayer disc. Still 10000 people only and gameplay is nice slower paced halo without my screen being filled up with xp and medals. I want Halo to go back to its roots, I plan on playing a bit more H3 till they fix up H4 a bit more.

Striker

They excelled at the specific gametype they were good at but stunk at anything else.
You can look at any Halo 3, Reach, or Halo 4 (if you want) and see BTB maps in general stink for Slayer. Might find a map here or there that does Territories well or Plots decent. King and Oddball aren't big team level games anyway.

Every map sans Backwash and Gemini excelled at skirmish gametypes one way or another. You can't say that for the maps in games we've got since. They went away from maps built for objectives and more toward slayer, which is a very unfortunate. Probably explains why the lack of care of detail to the skirmish settings like contesting and sudden death went straight to shit.

Tawpgun

I feel this way about Adrift but I just deal with it. The boltshot makes this map more shit than it already is.

Almost have to do it with Solace. When I played it at NYCC Solace was my favorite map behind Haven.

I've realized its because I abused the jetpack on it against complete scrubs. Whoever designed that map needs a lesson in sightlines.

JB1981

So after playing a few frustrating matches of swat and slayer on adrift(worst fucking level ever) along with the shit netcode that results in every single kill being kill for kill I decided to pop in my Halo 3 multiplayer disc. Still 10000 people only and gameplay is nice slower paced halo without my screen being filled up with xp and medals. I want Halo to go back to its roots, I plan on playing a bit more H3 till they fix up H4 a bit more.

I played as well. Seems like weekend is best time to play. 10,000 players is more than enough to get into games fairly quickly and netcode was more than adequate. I know what game I'm playing on weekends now :)

I recently watched a video of Halo 3 MP and noticed how it was much slower but man something about it just reminded me of how much fun it was. Oh the good old days I had with that game. :(

I played as well. Seems like weekend is best time to play. 10,000 players is more than enough to get into games fairly quickly and netcode was more than adequate. I know what game I'm playing on weekends now :)

My friends and I already have 4 player splitscreen drunk Halo 3 night planned for later, it should be glorious.

I recently watched a video of Halo 3 MP and noticed how it was much slower but man something about it just reminded me of how much fun it was. Oh the good old days I had with that game. :(

It took a match to get used to the much slower pace but something about just makes so much sense. It's very "Halo" and it makes me sad whats happened to it. I also love the way XP is handled in 3 and the simple look of the menus. I need to pop in my Halo 2 PC soon again, I wish they would release it on steam or something to raise the player count significantly.

Dirtbag

Damn just had one of those game-breaking bouts of lag in match with the delayed grenade throws you guys have been talking about. Must suck to play from europe!

I think we will never see another Halo2 mp experience like we had, it was the golden era of FPS gaming. That was when Counter-strike was still going strong on the PC / we had pandora tomorrow's MP which simply would never work with today's spoon-fed gamers, battlefield 1942 around then. It was pretty much the first time when everyone had mics and communication changed the way games played.

It was exciting because it was when those games were breaking new ground.
Love or hate it, Modern Warfare ushered in the next era of FPS addiction. The instant gratification gameplay with lengthy meta game unlocks to keep you playing. I havent played a single COD since Modern Warfare (1). It was great fun at the time, I had a blast with it but it always felt so shallow and as such I havent purchased another one since.

I hate that everything I play seems to want to capture this Idiocracy-level gamer. I guess it's more stimulating to me to have a few more layers of strategy to my games, as I get off on out-smarting someone way more then out shooting them.

heckfu

Banned
Yep - it's only us assholes who aren't Halo fans and don't have any skill that have stuck around.

(Yes, it's getting tiring to hear this either/or description of players/non-players. There are almost as many kinds of Halo players as there are Halo players, and this constant us/them bullshit is really starting to get to me. I'm a fucking Halo fan. I like Halo, I've liked Halo as long as anyone else here. I like Halo 4, I liked Reach, I liked Halo 3, I liked Halo 2 (well, most of the time), I liked the original game. I'm tired of being told that my lack of discrimination is what's killing the franchise, or maybe it's my lack of skill, or whatever. STOP FUCKING GENERALIZING WHY PEOPLE ARE OR AREN'T PLAYING. Thank you.)

I know this post is as old as Wu but I slept in today so I just now saw it. I couldn't agree with Wu more - I played for a while last night and had a REALLY good time! I played with people from GAF that aren't a part of this community and they were playing just to have a good time. That rubbed off on me a lot and playing with folks who play for a good time instead of making everything ultra competitive was a weird, but welcome, change of pace.

Don't misunderstand and get mad and say that some of you have the wrong attitude, etc, I was just saying that since I've joined GAF I've started taking the game way too seriously and quit playing Halo the way I used to play growing up.

Call me a casual, call me a bk whatever, but I enjoy this game.

Ill spend £800 again on Halo 5. Im playing these games for the campaign now which i loved.

Multi is fun to drop into and have a couple of games but im not going to play it every night and get myself into a competitive mindset for a few reasons.

As iv got older I care less about competitive online games.
Id much rather spend the free time I have co-op'ing with my friends.
Work means I cant devote the time i want to the game.
Halo 4 has issues and i'm far from sure 343i will ever resolve them (or acknowledge them)
My Backlog is too big to be devoting that time to a online game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom