• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtbag

Ill spend £800 again on Halo 5. Im playing these games for the campaign now which i loved.

Multi is fun to drop into and have a couple of games but im not going to play it every night and get myself into a competitive mindset for a few reasons.

As iv got older I care less about competitive online games.
Id much rather spend the free time I have co-op'ing with my friends.
Work means I cant devote the time i want to the game.
Halo 4 has issues and i'm far from sure 343i will ever resolve them (or acknowledge them)
My Backlog is too big to be devoting that time to a online game

On the first point, I actually feel like developers everywhere feel the same way too. The challenge in most games has been slowly chipped away, and it seems everywhere you look games are trying to level out the skill gap rather then pair the right players against each other.

And I totally agree with you on the second point. I dont think most people that are posting in this thread are very realistic as to what will actually ever happen in regards to a rebalance or patch.
Weapon spawns ain't happening, flinch is staying, red x's aren't coming back, DMR isn't getting a zoom change. I'd be shocked if anyone of those things changed. Shocked.
The fact is it was bungie that was very back and forth with their audience, and there has been no developer that has ever matched that level of communication. It has nothing to do with Halo then or now. 343 is a new studio, and by all initial measures their first game was a huge success. It's certainly better then Reach in some areas, but Halo is not the franchise it used to be.

In regards to Halo 4, I'm a casual player but I don't have fun with "casual" design. I don't like random BS and gratification exp systems and whatnot, so I didn't have much fun with the Halo 4 MP I played.

iA0pZDL9HPvbh.gif

Uncharted 2 is one of the best games this gen.
I think that gif perfectly exemplifies Uncharted for good or bad and what OddOne was talking about. Scripted moments like that just do nothing for me, they look cool, but they always fail to put me in the sense of danger they try to front.

Now if the building was dynamically being demolished to cause that scenario, that would be an entirely different story.

wwm0nkey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzKjBwd-8jQ&feature=youtu.be

Someone made a video of Halo remakes built in Murder Miners. Among others it includes Midship, Desolation, Sanctuary (by me), Zanzibar (by wwmonkey), Beaver Creek, Reflection
and Sword Base
. Some people had issues with the scale of their maps, but they're still pretty cool.
If you could get those other maps I would love to record them with the No HUD mode when the update drops tomorrow.

Because if thats the total of the limited edtion content like it was with Halo 4 i still wont have any issue with spending it. Iv been attached to this franchise since i first played it. Iv been into the multiplayer a great deal but im in to the universe and lore more. Getting all the content makes me happy so ill keep doing it.

This is not to say i dont want a solid multiplayer but even if it was reach quality i wouldnt kick up a stink.

Dirtbag

Halo 4 isn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I'm having fun with the game and I guess that is all that matters
It's not a bad game. I'd hope most people here would admit that.
Just things that brought alot of us to the franchise in the first place have been stripped.
Reach started it and now 4 has turned somethings up to full blast, done a few things better, and added some more things that has essentially changed the foundation of the game.

Nothing wrong with liking that new direction, but it's definitely a pretty big change. Shields and BR's arent enough to make it a halo game for me.

Ken

Because he enjoys it and is satisfied with what he spends his money on.

im going to go spend 800 funny monies on almond crush pocky then brb

Because if thats the total of the limited edtion content like it was with Halo 4 i still wont have any issue with spending it. Iv been attached to this franchise since i first played it. Iv been into the multiplayer a great deal but im in to ghe universe and lore more. Getting all the content makes me happy so ill keep doing it.

This is not to say i dont want a solid multiplayer but even if it was reach quality i wouldnt kick up a stink.

How does buying a Halo themed console, controller, and headset help you appreciate the lore more when the stuff painted on them hardly echoes Halo. Halo 4 is out and I'm still trying to figure out what the Halo 4 console is supposed to be.

Tawpgun

On the first point, I actually feel like developers everywhere feel the same way too. The challenge in most games has been slowly chipped away, and it seems everywhere you look games are trying to level out the skill gap rather then pair the right players against each other.

And I totally agree with you on the second point. I dont think most people that are posting in this thread are very realistic as to what will actually ever happen in regards to a rebalance or patch.
Weapon spawns ain't happening, flinch is staying, red x's aren't coming back, DMR isn't getting a zoom change. I'd be shocked if anyone of those things changed. Shocked.
The fact is it was bungie that was very back and forth with their audience, and there has been no developer that has ever matched that level of communication. It has nothing to do with Halo then or now. 343 is a new studio, and by all initial measures their first game was a huge success. It's certainly better then Reach in some areas, but Halo is not the franchise it used to be.
The red X's are the only thing that really need a TU.

Putting in static drops won't negatively impact the game in ANY way. Only help.

Flinch is staying unless they can patch zoom out back in, which I doubt they'd do anyway. And DMR can't get a zoom change I'm pretty sure.

But static drops I wouldn't be surprised coming in eventually. It would sure bring up my enjoyment of the game more.

Dirtbag

The red X's are the only thing that really need a TU.

Putting in static drops won't negatively impact the game in ANY way. Only help.

Flinch is staying unless they can patch zoom out back in, which I doubt they'd do anyway. And DMR can't get a zoom change I'm pretty sure.

But static drops I wouldn't be surprised coming in eventually. It would sure bring up my enjoyment of the game more.

All of these things have perks that affect them already. SO they are fundamental changes to the game. They built systems around them.

Stability - flinch
Stalker - red x
Random Ordinance Preview thingy (whatever the fuck its called) - static weapon spawns

They've likely already had their internal discussion about these things. This was all intentional.
This is the game for what it is now.

Dirtbag

I'd love to be wrong, I'd love to see a classic mode patched in that offers what you are talking about. But I just don't see it. They will be working on the next game soon and this will be in the rearview with some playlist and DLC updates and thats that.

Static weapon spawns and removal of loadouts would be a huge undertaking of rebalancing the maps. Don't undersell that as a simple update. That requires some testing on every map or you'll just be back in here bitching about whatever weapon is dominating you then.

im going to go spend 800 funny monies on almond crush pocky then brb

How does buying a Halo themed console, controller, and headset help you appreciate the lore more when the stuff painted on them hardly echoes Halo. Halo 4 is out and I'm still trying to figure out what the Halo 4 console is supposed to be.
Its supposed to be forerunner inspried.

It dosnt make me appricate anything more its more of a collector impulse. Its hard to explain to someone who dosnt collect something but its a sense of completion that i link to Halo.

Its not exclusive to halo but the impulse to own halo content is stronger than say... crysis content.

I dont understand why its an issue to you what i spend my disposable income on. I brought up the amount because it significant to the point that for me this franchise is becoming more and more of a single player only franchise and its less of an issue to me than i previously thought it would be.

If in 2007 you told me id be willing to spend that much on a Halo without a Multiplayer that would hold much worth to me id of laughed my head off and disregarded you as an idiot but 5 year later thats exactly how i feel.

Its meerly me adding to the discussion of peoole saying they wont buy Halo 5 at launch with an alternate view point

Tunavi

Banned
Does anyone have Halo 1 XBO from the marketplace? How does it run compared to the disc on the 360? San Andreas XBO runs perfectly.

I'm going to hop on Halo 4 in a while. I just realised this weekend is the last weekend I'll be able to play for about a month. Should you see me online in January, chances are, I'll be playing on a less-than-stellar Mexican connection without a mic. Yeah, you won't see me online lol.

So yeah, tonight and tomorrow night, hit me up for some fun times to draw my year to a close <3

Maybe im the one thats confused, so forgive me if thats the case.

I have a lockout remake that has the classic weapon set with classic weapon spawns. I want the brs, swords, etc. to not spawn in my snipers gametype.

Also while I have your attention do you know where i could obtain that no sprint gametype?
Nockz? anyone?

Tawpgun

All of these things have perks that affect them already. SO they are fundamental changes to the game. They built systems around them.

Stability - flinch
Stalker - red x
Random Ordinance Preview thingy (whatever the fuck its called) - static weapon spawns

They've likely already had their internal discussion about these things. This was all intentional.
This is the game for what it is now.

I don't think flinch is going away
The stalker waypoint has nothing to do with the dead teammate red X's.
Drop recon you may have a point but fuck it. Who cares. Think about it as a crutch new players can use to know exactly when (and where I guess) weapons are falling. If 343 justified Promethean Vision as a crutch since experienced players would just use Radar... well, we can justify this as well.

I know this post is as old as Wu but I slept in today so I just now saw it. I couldn't agree with Wu more - I played for a while last night and had a REALLY good time! I played with people from GAF that aren't a part of this community and they were playing just to have a good time. That rubbed off on me a lot and playing with folks who play for a good time instead of making everything ultra competitive was a weird, but welcome, change of pace.

Don't misunderstand and get mad and say that some of you have the wrong attitude, etc, I was just saying that since I've joined GAF I've started taking the game way too seriously and quit playing Halo the way I used to play growing up.

Call me a casual, call me a bk whatever, but I enjoy this game.

Pretty sure I should be offended. I need more of your nephew in my life...

Ken

Its supposed to be forerunner inspried.

It dosnt make me appricate anything more its more of a collector impulse. Its hard to explain to someone who dosnt collect something but its a sense of completion that i link to Halo.

Its not exclusive to halo but the impulse to own halo content is stronger than say... crysis content.

I dont understand why its an issue to you what i spend my disposable income on. I brought up the amount because it significant to the point that for me this franchise is becoming more and more of a single player only franchise and its less of an issue to me than i previously thought it would be.

If in 2007 you told me id be willing to spend that much on a Halo without a Multiplayer that would hold much worth to me id of laughed my head off and disregarded you as an idiot but 5 year later thats exactly how i feel.

Its meerly me adding to the discussion of peoole saying they wont buy Halo 5 at launch with an alternate view point

ok then

so how's that 100% armory completion going

GhaleonEB

I'd prefer maps centered around a gametype, but with the realities of manpower and budget and the fact that creating maps has gotten more expensive, developers are going to lean towards maps that can be used in more and more modes so they can get more bang for the buck. Doesn't explain how Prisoner made it into the Anniversary map pack though :p

The reduced game types (not to mention the removal of all one-sided objectives) and focused playlists of Halo 4 seemed like an opportunity to also refocus the maps around certain game types. It's kind of odd they went for more focused playlists but used jack of all trades maps, including the first map pack. Seems like a missed opportunity.

Wait til the first details on MP come out.

If 343's like "yeah, we learned from our mistakes, back to basics" then I have to buy it.

Oh how quickly you'd flip flop. That's exactly what they've said coming up to 4. 343 have iterated on what they felt was best for AAs, sprint and the sandbox as a whole. To them, justfiably in many regards, the game is a massive departure from Reach.

Get that avatar ready :p

Fracas

#fuckonami
Oh how quickly you'd flip flop. That's exactly what they've said coming up to 4. 343 have iterated on what they felt was best for AAs, sprint and the sandbox as a whole. To them, justfiably in many regards, the game is a massive departure from Reach.

Get that avatar ready :p

I'd say that the initial unveil for Halo 4 went along the "back to basics" approach. We had BR slayer and 2 small-ish maps.

However, once all the loadout and armor abilities came out, I knew this would be completely different. The reason I was so excited for this game was because I thought they had somehow achieved a balanced sandbox and that all these superfluous mechanics would work. All the pre-release footage looked incredible. 343 appeared to do the impossible. Then launch week came and went, and turns out none of it works.

Fracas is dumb, of course he will buy 5 at launch and I'll probably be right there with him buying a copy for myself. He just thinks hyperbole is cool.

but of course he will deny it all the way to Halo 5 launch

Fracas

#fuckonami
Fracas is dumb, of course he will buy 5 at launch and I'll probably be right there with him buying a copy for myself. He just thinks hyperbole is cool.

but of course he will deny it all the way to Halo 5 launch

Why would you want Halo 5, you don't like this game either.

edit: GAF hype will tempt me though

GhaleonEB

Wait til the first details on MP come out.

If 343's like "yeah, we learned from our mistakes, back to basics" then I have to buy it.

I fear they've cast the die with Halo 4. It seems like an acknowledgement that armor abilities are never going away, perks are never going away, the investment system will be an unlockathon. That's the framework going forward; I'm not sure how you dial it back from here. (Short of remaking Halo 2 complete with the multiplayer pipe dream.)

Tawpgun

Hype train stops for nobody bro

I fear they've cast the die with Halo 4. It seems like an acknowledgement that armor abilities are never going away, perks are never going away, the investment system will be an unlockathon. That's the framework going forward; I'm not sure how you dial it back from here. (Short of remaking Halo 2 complete with the multiplayer pipe dream.)

There's also this. :/

If they removed some of these things they'd be called out on going backwards

whyyy must I cryyyy

I wonder how much was the development team and how much was the publisher though.

This Lego Cortana Mosaic is damn nice! Worth checking out to be honest! (It is definitely posted already)

Yes. This is going to happen but at the end you never know. Maybe they will really think about it and go back to roots. Or maybe they will drop Halo 2 Anniversary with its original multiplayer.

Not so fun fact:

You all remember how Sadie was originally named Maddie? In the original version of the "Prepare to Drop" trailer, there was a series of broken transmissions from the Superintendent at the end, one of them was a question asking, "Maddie, where are you?" Around the same time, a girl named Madeleine McCann got lost in the UK, and the question in the trailer caused complaints.

As of today, as far as I can tell, Madeleine is still missing.

Pop

I will not be buying H5 at launch. It will need to have a beta and if not I'll just borrow it from a friend first. There's no way I'm going to waste $60 bucks again.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Haha just kidding.

I'm not buying it at launch. For realsies. I am putting a clause in there that says if MP does truly go back to basics, I will buy it. Otherwise, nope

So basically "I'm going to wait and see how Halo 5 looks and see if I want it at launch" instead of any other game where you...do the same thing?

Not so fun fact:

You all remember how Sadie was originally named Maddie? In the original version of the "Prepare to Drop" trailer, there was a series of broken transmissions from the Superintendent at the end, one of them was a question asking, "Maddie, where are you?" Around the same time, a girl named Madeleine McCann got lost in the UK, and the question in the trailer caused complaints.

As of today, as far as I can tell, Madeleine is still missing.

I remember all of this.

Sad stuff on maddies behalf. Good stuff changing it Bungie but that trailer caused a little commotion if i remember correctly.

IHaveIce

Banned
So basically "I'm going to wait and see how Halo 5 looks and see if I want it at launch" instead of any other game where you...do the same thing?

I agree with Fracas that this is a big thing. (At least IMO)

I bought Halo 3 before I had a xbox 360, I still played on my original Xbox Halo 2.

And right now I'm in a situation where I have to think if I want to support these changes and this franchise anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom