• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

Oddone's #2323 rant about Shatter's weapon and vehicle placements.

jzU9zxMsenGAI.png

I mean shit, everybody was just camping on top of the two building. Felt like Complex all over again. The Mantis also respawns way too fast.

In other news, Skyfall was the most un-Bond like movie; yet it was hugely enjoyable.

Watching Forward Unto Dawn with Latinamerican audio, Why they didnt hire Cortana's Official latinamerican voice? I didnt even recognize her voice actor.

Arnie

I like Haven, but it doesn't feel like a Halo map to me.

My preferred Halo maps are when there's two clear, distinct sides, preferably symmetrical. Haven feels like it was made for FFA, or multi-team in that respect, in that it's a big bowl designed to funnel all players into the centre, which ends up messy.

It's very 'fiesta'.

Overdoziz

Banned

My preferred Halo maps are when there's two clear, distinct sides, preferably symmetrical. Haven feels like it was made for FFA, or multi-team in that respect, in that it's a big bowl designed to funnel all players into the centre, which ends up messy.

It's very 'fiesta'.
I've got two main issues with the map:

• There's no a lot of height variation aside from the two distinct floors. The vast majority of the battles you have are played while you're both at the same height level, most likely in one of the hallways or in the middle of the map. Makes most encounters you have on the map are uninteresting. Having more height variation would address this issue. Blur the lines between the two floors by having large areas in between that connects them. The southern side of the map is a good example of this. Don't just put a bunch of ramps in between the floors and call it a day, that's lazy.
  • The map's layout doesn't work well for symmetrical spawns because when you set it up that way there amount of paths you have is limited. They awkwardly solved this by setting up asymmetrical initial spawns which is just strange for a map like that. It's a bit like Zealot but without the 'streets' from the base to top gold.

Overall I think the map is simply boring. The trick jumps are great but aside from that there's nothing too special about it.

90% of Adrift is essentially The Pit's sword spawn area while the other 10% is walkways with railings which you get caught on all the time.

What a pretty damn accurate description IMO. Adrift CTF is an abomination.. but I'm curious as to how well Extraction would work on it.

Arnie

I've got two main issues with the map:

• There's no a lot of height variation aside from the two distinct floors. The vast majority of the battles you have are played while you're both at the same height level, most likely in one of the hallways or in the middle of the map. Makes most encounters you have on the map are uninteresting. Having more height variation would address this issue. Blur the lines between the two floors by having large areas in between that connects them. The southern side of the map is a good example of this. Don't just put a bunch of ramps in between the floors and call it a day, that's lazy.
  • The map's layout doesn't work well for symmetrical spawns because when you set it up that way there amount of paths you have is limited. They awkwardly solved this by setting up asymmetrical initial spawns which is just strange for a map like that. It's a bit like Zealot but without the 'streets' from the base to top gold.

Overall I think the map is simply boring. The trick jumps are great but aside from that there's nothing too special about it.

Great post, and I agree with both points.

The comparison to Zealot is a good one, and spells out just how uninteresting Haven is to play on compared to it. It's probably for the best that MLG and Microsoft are having some issues, because right now if MLG released a playlist it'd be 99% Forge. Although I suppose that wasn't too different to Reach which was very Sanctuary heavy.

Striker

Feel the same way, really. I mean it's not bad or anything, but it doesn't really strike up anything in any particular game mode extremely well. I suppose it does FFA (Slayer), Team Slayer, and Oddball, but that's about it. There should be more to it than that to be a great 4v4 map.

What a pretty damn accurate description IMO. Adrift CTF is an abomination.. but I'm curious as to how well Extraction would work on it.
I'd say Complex CTF and Abandon CTF are the abominations. Solace is worse as well. That's what this game's CTF playlist boils down to.

Moa

So someone found the guy in first place for the Infinity Challenge, boosting with a friend in Regicide.

Heh.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Adrift CTF without radar is actually pretty good. That map has like a x10 radar shittiness multiplier.

Striker

Adrift CTF without radar is actually pretty good. That map has like a x10 radar shittiness multiplier.
I'm sure if you removed a lot of the clutter (AA's, secondary weapons like PP/Boltshot, and probably Sprint), it would be awfully better.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I love Adrift when I'm playing with friends and communicating. It's a blast to hold the outer platforms and have the other team keep rushing you and getting steamrolled.

So someone found the guy in first place for the Infinity Challenge, boosting with a friend in Regicide.

Heh.

Everyone in the top 20 has probably boosted.

Its the worst idea for a tournament I have ever seen. I wish there was more to it than just 'play a lot'.

Halo 4 has had an overwhelmingly negative reaction from the hardcore community due to its adoption of CoD systems in the multiplayer such as loadouts, perks, instant respawn, and personal ordnance (aka point streak rewards) because they add random and unpredictable elements to the sandbox and cause major balance issues.

There are tons of other issues and bugs and glitches as well. An example of this is that ingame file browser, which allows us to view screenshots, films, custom maps and gametypes, has not worked since launch and there is no ETA on when it will become more than an error message. Bungie had hosted an online version of this on their website during their Halo 3 and Reach days, and you could even queue up files to download automatically the next time you started the game. This service is now gone as well.

Halo 4 is also the first Halo game with matchmaking that lacks any kind of ranking that is determined by skill - there's no arena or league playlist or anything like that, just keep playing and getting XP.

There was also recently an issue where Microsoft accidentally made the first map pack free for everyone who played in the first two weeks the game was out, and they had to revoke it via a title update. Title updates reset the system that uses game history to determine host, so laggy matches galore for many of us.

The campaign has become more focused on linear firefights and corridors rather than open areas and exploration, "because we wanted to do what Call of Duty does," according to a developer interview. The cutscenes have really bad audio compression.

Spartan Ops replaced Firefight, which was Halo's take on a horde mode. Firefight was highly customizable, Spartan Ops sacrifices that to tell a linear story. We were promised brand new environments, of which we got a few, but the majority of chapters take place in areas recycled from campaign and multiplayer, most of which are repeated several times. The mission design is almost always to kill enemies, press a button, and repeat until it ends. Sarah Palmer, your Spartan commander and narrator so to speak, is the most grating and one-dimensional character Halo has offered, though perhaps that's intentional.

The list goes on. The monthly challenge, a sort of completable goal that gives lots of XP when finished, has been the same every month since launch. Campaign theater and scoring have been removed. Spartan Ops has no theater either. Killcams don't work in any sort of accurate way. Many of the options in custom games are either missing or don't work. Several objective gametypes that were franchise staples, such as 1 Flag CTF and Assault, no longer exist. Microsoft has some kind of deal with Virgin Gaming, so there is no MLG playlist with competitive settings, nor are there any MLG tournaments in the near future.

Welcome to Halo 4, egghead.

Well I just got Halo 4 this christmas and was going to ask what the consensus from the community was, and I'm assuming these thoughts are par for the hardcore Halo community? What's 343's reaction to everything been, and is the online community fairly large or has it been shrinking?

I've always like Halo over COD because it didn't have the COD progression that gave advantages to veteran players over newbies. I always felt I could jump into a halo game after being away for months, and have a good chance of competing online.

Dirtbag

It's really not that restricted off, there are very open spawns and also the mid section, you always have movement options as well.

It's extremely sectioned off, especially when you take away that middle section you think is shit.
Radar and PV completely ruin the map

I've always like Halo over COD because it didn't have the COD progression that gave advantages to veteran players over newbies. I always felt I could jump into a halo game after being away for months, and have a good chance of competing online.
I don't think it is really the progression part of custom classes that bothers people, it's the unpredictability.
It just makes the game extremely frustrating.

And a lot of the custom class components just aren't balanced or negatively affect other parts of the sandbox.

Moa

343i dont just look at the kills stats and say something like Bungie did with boosting in Reach?

Well the banhammer is automatic, just like 2, 3 & Reach, and it is terrible for catching boosters.

Let's say you want to, for what ever reason, AFK Firefight or Spartan Ops, the only way the game can track that is if you have zero kills, if you get one or more kills, you won't be caught for it.

Same goes for boosting, if you have controllers plugged in for guests with the intention to boost, simply let them all get one kill, and you won't be banned.

Manual bans can be applied, and I assume they will for the Infinity Challenge (in-game and leaderboard removal).

No radar does wonders to maps with lifts too.

Too bad there aren't any playlists without radar. It's a crutch that drastically slows a player's skill progression and "most" of them fail to realize it.

OT and might be a dumb question, but I'm about to start The Walking Dead.. Should I play with the Standard or Minimal display style? How obtrusive are the hints and notifications? :]

Moa

You will get XP if you do challenges or commendations(I think you will earn XP through that).

There aren't any Commendations tied to Campaign this time round.

I'm so confused about getting XP from Campaign though, I understand it is just logical, but with this whole Spartan-IV, canon multiplayer stuff, you shouldn't level up from Campaign.

Rev3rb

I'm so confused about getting XP from Campaign though, I understand it is just logical, but with this whole Spartan-IV, canon multiplayer stuff, you shouldn't level up from Campaign.

Challenges keep people (that want easy XP) going back to play the campaign. Simple as that

There is a single set of commendations for completing each mission on legendary.

m23

OT and might be a dumb question, but I'm about to start The Walking Dead.. Should I play with the Standard or Minimal display style? How obtrusive are the hints and notifications? :]

I just completed Episode 1 with the standard notifications, it does seem a bit obtrusive. Still have to try the other option though.

Even more OT, for any Krispy Kreme (the youtube rapper guy) fans, I came upon some of his old music. The guy is basically trolling everybody lol.

I just completed Episode 1 with the standard notifications, it does seem a bit obtrusive. Still have to try the other option though.

Even more OT, for any Krispy Kreme (the youtube rapper guy) fans, I came upon some of his old music. The guy is basically trolling everybody lol.

I went with minimalistic. It's cool.

Oh, and turn off Xbox notifications too while you're at it. I often had 'em pop up during important choice making time, and they obscured the options.

Redford

aka Cabbie

It's very 'fiesta'.

Felt this since my very first game. Never thought I'd see a map where the best place to control is bottom middle..

If I've been sick of zombie stuff since 2009 do you think I'd still enjoy The Walking Dead?
Everything I've heard about Walking Dead is that the Zombie Apocalypse is merely a setting and the story is about the characters that inhabit this world, their lives and how they survive. It doesn't glorify zombies into a novelty.

Everything I've heard about Walking Dead is that the Zombie Apocalypse is merely a setting and the story is about the characters that inhabit this world, their lives and how they survive. It doesn't glorify zombies into a novelty.

Yep, pretty much. And the same is true for the graphic novels and TV series.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member

Yep, pretty much. And the same is true for the graphic novels and TV series.

Yup. That's one reason I love the franchise so much. Course that and because I do like Zombies. However The Walking Dead be it comics, games, show, etc focuses on the survivors first with the zombies second. It really is focused on what you would do when placed in that situation. That is what makes it so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom