• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enfinit

Twitter/Facebook/Gamertag/Name all seem legitimate. The only thing I'm skeptical about is why this is not a standalone thread (or blog post for that matter), rather quite a lengthy "official"-esque post within a thread that praised VG, and had numerous moderator-edited flaming posts.

The post seems legit, however the circumstances it was posted under seems a little odd.

It would be really appropriate if a laugh track played every so often on Halo 4.
Just have Big Bang Theory on in the background.

TheOddOne

Oh, brighten up.
tumblr_mfoe33bCtf1qkpy27o1_r1_400.gif

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
This Carl fellow seems to be excited to get his hands dirty with the community. That's nice to see.

so how does this game even play in terms of customs now with old school timers, weapon spawns, etc?

Also can we search out forged maps yet? Shit was broken last I checked.

Chig

Hopefully Virgin Gaming can throw out some decent LAN tournaments. I think they'd blow MLG tournaments for Halo out of the water. We'll see!

Can't wait for this patch.

J10

Banned
so how does this game even play in terms of customs now with old school timers, weapon spawns, etc?

Still can't search for maps directly, you have to know the gamertag of the person who has it on their file share.

It's easy enough to strip away most of the bullshit in custom options, but some people would like the option to disable sprint, autoflag pickup, flinching while getting shot scoped in, instant respawns. Overall, if you'd just like to do Slayer custom games it could be really awesome.

Is there going to be a bulletin tonight? I mean, the vast majority of the working world is back in action today so you'd think 343's community manager could write up something for tonight.

IHaveIce

Banned

You need to have modded gametypes to have no instant respawns and no sprint.

And nope File Browser is still broken

needs frame data on melees

Frame-by-Frame

Melees are normal (about 3 frames if I'm remembering right) but go back to the Halo 2 system of reduced damage, but taking things like inertia into account. This gives Thruster a slight buff just by extension because you can thrust + melee into people and it's enough to pop shields.

However, by extension, the main three melee weapons (Humbler / Energy Sword / Hardlight Staff) only require one melee to pop shields, AND each hit comes out at twice the speed of a normal melee. Meaning that in the time it takes an enemy to do one melee that would only take out like half of your shields, you can kill them. This is offset by the removal of Sword lunges. Each hit takes 5% battery, meaning there's still a potential 10 kills per weapon, and you can always hold onto the empty holsters to hit people with.

Melee a Trois

The Humbler is basically an electrified riot baton, which is why it requires battery: the first electrified hit drains their shields and slows them down like the Halo CE Plasma Rifle, and the second hit's enough to kill them. You can also EMP vehicles with it if you're trying to get a quick hijack in. To balance the EMP and slowdown, the Humbler has the lowest reach of the three primary melee weapons.

The Energy Sword is kind of like the Halo 2 version's regular melee: it has no lunge anymore, and takes two hits to kill, but the two hits come out at the speed of one melee. It requires three melees to kill someone once the battery's drained, so you'd still win a melee battle, but you're obviously going to get yourself killed trying to hit someone holding a Battle Rifle. The Energy Sword has a mid-level reach out of the melee weapons.

The Hardlight Staff has the highest reach of the three primary melee weapons, being about as big as a Gravity Hammer. It's two handed, and utilizes an interesting alt-mode function: you have to hit the left trigger to whack someone with the base of the staff, and the right trigger to hit them with the main "head" of the stave. Doing this one-two punch will kill someone as quickly as the other weapons and just perform concussive hits. However, holding down the right trigger will cause the light and metal to reconfigure slightly into a Hardlight Javelin. You have an unlimited charge holding time just so that you don't muck up your shot; it has about the range of a Plasma Grenade, but with higher speed and a less pronounced arc. If you manage to successfully gore someone with the Hardlight Javelin, it derezzes them, as well as the weapon, so it's sadly a one-time use to prevent you from going Olympic Halo Champion 2013 on people's asses. The "battery" comes from needing the Hardlight bits of the staff to function, and requires three melees to kill with a drained battery. You cannot perform the Javelin function without battery.

The Gravity Hammer operates on similar principals to the Hardlight Staff, with the difference being that it effectively has three firing modes.
Mode 1: "Power Saver." You can use the left trigger to hit with the base and the right trigger to hit with the axe on the back of the hammer, resulting in a kill that takes about 4.5 frames, or 1.5 times as long as a regular melee.
Mode 2: Classic. Using just the right trigger causes a gravity blast we all know and love.
Mode 3: EMP. Holding down the right trigger will charge the lights in the hammer's head, taking about twice as long as a Plasma Pistol. You don't need to hold down the button after it's fully charged. Hitting the right trigger with a charge will cause a slightly larger gravity field hit, with the added bonus of an EMP, making it a deadly weapon against light vehicles. However, the EMP takes up extra battery.

Parrying

Similar to "Sword Duels" already implemented, ALL Melee weapons can now parry when using the "one-two punch" function that they all have. If you use the main Gravity Hammer swing against someone trying to parry, you'll obviously win. Parrying only works when BOTH players are using the one-two punch function. There are actually matchups now, too.

AM6H2.png

The thing to note here is that in standard parry matches, the Sword will beat the Hammer, but if you use the standard right-trigger swing with the Hammer, it'll beat the Sword.

You should use the "Promethean Defense Turret" instead of the Beam Turret.
From the Halo 4 art book. The turret was cut from the game.

j3SE1pBgu5Mh.png

(sorry about the picture quality)

Cut designs actually feature pretty prominently in my sandbox; where do you think the Gravity Wrench comes from? Thanks for this. I'll probably rework the Defense Turret into a smaller, mounted version for the Ion Cannon.

Okay, so let me get this straight:
You also have a side of fries from Burger King, still in the paper holster with their logo on it.

Burger King fries are god-tier dude.

"Its mostly quiet around here at 343 industries with just the slight chatter of the interns tinkering with things. Everyone else important that can make decisions is still enjoying vacation and the holidays with their family"

"Things are coming soon!™"

[Cat Picture]

Seeya next week!

Fracas

#fuckonami
^check your pm's pls

Does anyone know when this vacation ends?

I don't meant to be condescending, I'm genuinely curious. Waiting for a fun patch sucks.

willow ve

If their vacation isn't over today... I would bet they are still off through the remainder of the week. Doesn't make sense to go back to full work loads on a Thursday.

Netflix is my fun patch.

Borderlands 2 is mine - haven't touched Halo 4 in over two weeks and I genuinely don't miss it yet.

"Its mostly quiet around here at 343 industries with just the slight chatter of the interns tinkering with things. Everyone else important that can make decisions is still enjoying vacation and the holidays with their family"

"Things are coming soon!™"

[Cat Picture]

Seeya next week!

"We would also like to announce the next playlist sponsored by Virgin Gaming: Flood! Don't cheat guys, we TOTALLY have systems to take care of it. It's mean to the other players y'know?

Due to contractual obligations MLG can't have any playlists. See you guys on the Xbox 720, eh? LOL!

*pic of geoff keighley taking a shit in suddoth 1's mouth*

We also have some interesting breakthroughs on the Team Doubles front. Something went wrong and we actually won't be able to look into it until 2014, because everyone's going on vacation! 3 to 4 years of doing this stuff can be exhausting you know?

Punches to the dick and kisses,
<3 bsangel"

Fracas

#fuckonami
Netflix is my fun patch.

I played through Syndicate a couple days ago. Surprisingly pretty good.

I have absolutely no urge to play Halo, and it's a really weird feeling. I have a ton of gaffers on my friends list, and barely anyone plays it. I wish Halo 4 wasn't out yet, Reach game nights were a blast. Now that 4's come out and disappointed so many people, a lot of players here don't even bother with the series anymore.

Fotos

Just played Infinity Slayer on Adrift. The entire team would just camp at one of the bases the entire game with Camo, Jetpack, or PV and they all used the fucking BoltShot. If this were any other Halo that wouldn't have happened. But because this is Halo 4, when they run out of ammo they can just call in another shitty ordinance! I love just getting constantly killed by power weapons over and over and over. Eventually they started stacking their fucking ordinances so they all had a power weapon and an over shield or damage boost.
I can't stand to play this shitty game anymore. I was so pissed I threw one of my Halo 4 controllers on the ground and broke it. If this update doesn't change a lot of stuff i'm done with Halo.

Just played Infinity Slayer on Adrift. The entire team would just camp at one of the bases the entire game with Camo, Jetpack, or PV and they all used the fucking BoltShot. If this were any other Halo that wouldn't have happened. But because this is Halo 4, when they run out of ammo they can just call in another shitty ordinance! I love just getting constantly killed by power weapons over and over and over. Eventually they started stacking their fucking ordinances so they all had a power weapon and an over shield or damage boost.
I can't stand to play this shitty game anymore. I was so pissed I threw one of my Halo 4 controllers on the ground and broke it. If this update doesn't change a lot of stuff i'm done with Halo.

Guardian Maulers.

Halo 4 has had an overwhelmingly negative reaction from the hardcore community due to its adoption of CoD systems in the multiplayer such as loadouts, perks, instant respawn, and personal ordnance (aka point streak rewards) because they add random and unpredictable elements to the sandbox and cause major balance issues.

There are tons of other issues and bugs and glitches as well. An example of this is that ingame file browser, which allows us to view screenshots, films, custom maps and gametypes, has not worked since launch and there is no ETA on when it will become more than an error message. Bungie had hosted an online version of this on their website during their Halo 3 and Reach days, and you could even queue up files to download automatically the next time you started the game. This service is now gone as well.

Halo 4 is also the first Halo game with matchmaking that lacks any kind of ranking that is determined by skill - there's no arena or league playlist or anything like that, just keep playing and getting XP.

There was also recently an issue where Microsoft accidentally made the first map pack free for everyone who played in the first two weeks the game was out, and they had to revoke it via a title update. Title updates reset the system that uses game history to determine host, so laggy matches galore for many of us.

The campaign has become more focused on linear firefights and corridors rather than open areas and exploration, "because we wanted to do what Call of Duty does," according to a developer interview. The cutscenes have really bad audio compression.

Spartan Ops replaced Firefight, which was Halo's take on a horde mode. Firefight was highly customizable, Spartan Ops sacrifices that to tell a linear story. We were promised brand new environments, of which we got a few, but the majority of chapters take place in areas recycled from campaign and multiplayer, most of which are repeated several times. The mission design is almost always to kill enemies, press a button, and repeat until it ends. Sarah Palmer, your Spartan commander and narrator so to speak, is the most grating and one-dimensional character Halo has offered, though perhaps that's intentional.

The list goes on. The monthly challenge, a sort of completable goal that gives lots of XP when finished, has been the same every month since launch. Campaign theater and scoring have been removed. Spartan Ops has no theater either. Killcams don't work in any sort of accurate way. Many of the options in custom games are either missing or don't work. Several objective gametypes that were franchise staples, such as 1 Flag CTF and Assault, no longer exist. Microsoft has some kind of deal with Virgin Gaming, so there is no MLG playlist with competitive settings, nor are there any MLG tournaments in the near future.

Welcome to Halo 4, egghead.

This is a great post. The shame is, there is a lot great about this game. I gave up thinking they are going to change the game. The Pros have left for other games, they hate H4. All they need is a classics playlist. There is no way to tweak the IS to be balanced. Not when people can see through walls, snipe across the map while invisible etc.

Ironically, if they were intentionally designing a team fiesta, this would pretty much be the player experience.

789shadow

Banned
Damn man. That feel. I know it.

Redford

aka Cabbie
"We would also like to announce the next playlist sponsored by Virgin Gaming: Flood! Don't cheat guys, we TOTALLY have systems to take care of it. It's mean to the other players y'know?

Due to contractual obligations MLG can't have any playlists. See you guys on the Xbox 720, eh? LOL!

*pic of geoff keighley taking a shit in suddoth 1's mouth*

We also have some interesting breakthroughs on the Team Doubles front. Something went wrong and we actually won't be able to look into it until 2014, because everyone's going on vacation! 3 to 4 years of doing this stuff can be exhausting you know?

Punches to the dick and kisses,
<3 bsangel"

Oh wow.

The issue is if your team is down and everyone starts to rush in. I play with Randoms a lot and nobody wears mics anymore. I actually don't mind the Boltshot straight up but with Camo forget it. Lots of campers using automatic weapons from behind too. You have no chance. Very frustrating.

I look through the playlists and when I dont have a team theres literally nothing I want to go into, I end up choosing SWAT...

Such is the shitty playlist management of Halo 4. Another stinker of a game due to the playlists.

GrizzNKev

Banned
So when I get to 60, I can change it to Rogue or Pioneer or something?

The specializations are presented in a way that they're things to be completed. You complete it by leveling ten times in that specialization. You're locked in once you select it, and you'll unlock emblems, armor, a weapon skin, and your reward for completing the specialization is a new perk.

I look through the playlists and when I dont have a team theres literally nothing I want to go into, I end up choosing SWAT...

Such is the shitty playlist management of Halo 4. Another stinker of a game due to the playlists.
Going in solo is a test for the brain to see what it can or can't take. Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.

Going in solo is a test for the brain to see what it can or can't take. Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.

I don't start drunk, but my mind makes me drink a ton during so I dont remember the events that unfold. Its a defense mechanism is what it is.

GrizzNKev

Banned
This is a great post. The shame is, there is a lot great about this game. I gave up thinking they are going to change the game. The Pros have left for other games, they hate H4. All they need is a classics playlist. There is no way to tweak the IS to be balanced. Not when people can see through walls, snipe across the map while invisible etc.

Ironically, if they were intentionally designing a team fiesta, this would pretty much be the player experience.

I'm referring to it as my list of grievances. It's incomplete (JiP putting me into losing games being my more recent gripe) and I'm open to being accused of nitpicking, but there are so many wrong turns that were taken with this game where some people at the top weren't concerned with preserving the audience that made Halo a big deal in the first place.

It is sad from my perspective because you can see that the people who are the public face of 343 absolutely do care what people think of their game and perhaps would take back some of the things they did if they could but there's some kind of resistance within their structure that says no matter what they are sticking to their guns.

m23

I haven't played Halo mp solo since Halo 3. I really don't have fun with the recent games playing by myself. Maybe a decent FFA or Doubles playlist will change that.

I always thought fun patch referred to something else...

InB4Brazzers

I played through Syndicate a couple days ago. Surprisingly pretty good.

I have absolutely no urge to play Halo, and it's a really weird feeling. I have a ton of gaffers on my friends list, and barely anyone plays it. I wish Halo 4 wasn't out yet, Reach game nights were a blast. Now that 4's come out and disappointed so many people, a lot of players here don't even bother with the series anymore.

Reach was a less than stellar game, but coupled with the promise of a better Halo on the horizon, it was enough to keep this community playing. Halo 4 feels like a nail in the coffin. The last time I played was over a month ago. That's the longest dry-spell I've had since I started playing Halo.

Hopefully we can keep "chasing the ghosts of a better game" until we find a game that is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom