• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Lol move on dude, there are much better games to play.

You should stop playing. Each time you play you are saying "I enjoy this, this is the Halo I want, good work 343"

Stop doing that.

LoL I can see the tournament now : Halo 4 on the pro circuit brought to you by MLG Virgin Gaming Mt Dew Doritos Ford Trucks Stride Gum And Bic Razers GET REALLL!!!!!"

If you're angry, it's time to take a break.

I was playing with friends today after not playing for some time. To my great dismay, I saw one of them camo sniping. Of course, I had to betray him
That didn't go so well. Sorry Krow :p

I wouldn't be playing right now but I'm at my parents house in Florida for the break. They have an Xbox for casual games and Kinect, and for some reason the only game I thought to bring with me was Halo 4. My gaming PC is back at my apartment in Redmond. :(

Playing campaign with my dad is entertaining enough when I get tired of the multiplayer though.

You know what's funny? Playing Halo 4 and Reagan's BR gets online:
"Reagan's BR is online and wants friends to play Halo 4".
Yeah, I'll turn that off.

Are Bic razors any good

I use Mach 3. Shaving sucks.

The less blades the better. See if you can't find a a two blade cartridge razor. Or you could switch to a safety razor. At any rate, choosing a good shaving cream or soap would definitely help. I can pm you some links if you would like.

Nope. I'm not saying the graphics suck, I'm saying the artstyle leaves a lot to be desired.

So many dull environments in this game.

I think one of the design things that bothered me the most was the Didact's ship. I mean, some of the parts didn't look like they'd fit in any kind of spaceship.

So many dull environments in this game.
iD8mFwa8Suuhm.gif

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Your link is to the montage. Here's the article. Thanks for the heads up though.

http://kotaku.com/5972426/misunderstood-bro-culture-and-their-obnoxious-first-person-shooter-youtube-videos

Have only read the article once and still don't know exactly what to make of it all though. I'll probably write a response and send it over to the author or twitter handle for Kotaku.

edit: I do appreciate the caption for my montage left in the article though. "A sincere montage - and a good one, too"

Omni

...Are you kidding.

Maybe with the Multiplayer maps, but the Campaign is gorgeous.

I wish there was campaign theatre so that I could try and explain my view, but there isn't. Simply put however, there is too much of this

within Halo 4's campaign; It's incredibly dull to look at.

Not to mention that the colour pallet has taken a turn for the worst since Halo 3, IMO.

Similar environments; completely different colour schemes. Even with 4's technical improvements, 3's is much nicer to look at.

Admittedly, Requiem is beautiful. After that, it went downhill, IMO.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Halo 3 with a little more horsepower from the 360 with a native res of 720 p some kind of AF and AA, better npc model would have looked out of this world.
I remember when Frankie was pimping that H3 was looking awesome in 1080p in the bungie update...so misleading. I was disappointed when I played the beta and the game was fuzzy on my old KDSR60XBR2.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I really don't like the color palette of Halo 4. Looks like there's a pastel filter or something.
Halo 3 with a little more horsepower from the 360 with a native res of 720 p some kind of AF and AA, better npc model would have looked out of this world.

Hell yes.

IHaveIce

Banned
Your link is to the montage. Here's the article. Thanks for the heads up though.

http://kotaku.com/5972426/misunderstood-bro-culture-and-their-obnoxious-first-person-shooter-youtube-videos

Have only read the article once and still don't know exactly what to make of it all though. I'll probably write a response and send it over to the author or twitter handle for Kotaku.

edit: I do appreciate the caption for my montage left in the article though. "A sincere montage - and a good one, too"

Lol SsethTzeentach's League of legends video is in there, I love his Farm Simulator Video and the Yu-Gi-Oh one

I wish there was campaign theatre so that I could try and explain my view, but there isn't. Simply put however, there is too much of this
Admittedly, Requiem is beautiful. After that, it went downhill, IMO.
I'd love Halo's visuals a lot more if they weren't jaggied and filled with bad character models and faces. Reach was a big improvement in some ways, especially the nights.

I've spent far more time admiring the environments and backgrounds in Halo 4 than I have in any previous Halo, 2d backgrounds or not. Even the multiplayer maps have a ton of small details to explore. Opinions, though.

Kuroyume

Banned
Shaving does suck. I can't grow a really thick beard. Have spots here and there so I shave after a little stubble. Ingrown hairs. Irritation. That's even with hot water and shaving cream and other shit. Sucks how growing up you look forward to facial hair then when you have it you despise it... At least in my case.

Btw, why is it that the developer created Forerunner environments generally look good but the Forge style pieces look like shit? It's like bootleg Chinese forerunner style.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Shaving does suck. I can't grow a really thick beard. Have spots here and there so I shave after a little stubble. Ingrown hairs. Irritation. That's even with hot water and shaving cream and other shit. Sucks how growing up you look forward to facial hair then when you have it you despise it... At least in my case.

Btw, why is it that the developer created Forerunner environments generally look good but the Forge style pieces look like shit? It's like bootleg Chinese forerunner style.
Because 343 did the forerunner environments and CA did the forge style pieces.

I'd love Halo's visuals a lot more if they weren't jaggied and filled with bad character models and faces. Reach was a big improvement in some ways, especially the nights.

I've spent far more time admiring the environments and backgrounds in Halo 4 than I have in any previous Halo, 2d backgrounds or not. Even the multiplayer maps have a ton of small details to explore. Opinions, though.

hyperbole.

That is a gross simplification, Wu. Getting killed by a Plasma Grenade that can be found or earned via Ordnance isn’t cheap, because only one person gets it. It’s fair game then. However, everybody having it from the start, with sprint enabled, with instant respawn, with perks, and on top of all that the increase in magnetism creates an environment that encourages cheap play. The more matches you play, the more you will notice it. I use to think it was “ok” too and on paper it sounds like something that would not be a huge problem, but in practice it is.

Yeah, and this is just personal opinion not a purely logical weighing up of their respective effects on the sandbox but I find players spawning with Plasma nades and Plasma Pistols waaaay more annoying than spawning with the Boltshot. The nades feel cheaper somehow and are certainly noobier. The PP basically disables an entire section of the sandbox in BTB.

The opening one. Because I was still hopeful, it was about the Spartans and Halsey and was well before the Didact and and the reveal of John Predestined Christ.

Agreed that the opening cutscene was the best one. Really well done, the retrospective where the Covenant were scorching the Earth with Banshees was amazing.

I haven't played this game in a month, and it's only been out maybe two months. Even though I like H4 better than Reach, I played that for atleast a year before slowing down. Any word on a TU or reinstating file sharing? I'm gonna lose all interest most likely by the time anything gets updated for this game. Oh and I haven't even played the new maps and I own the LE edition of H4, they just looked that bad. Sad times for an og Halo fan :(

I haven't played in 17 days, which was previously unthinkable being the Halo nut that I am. I'm not entirely sure why; despite all of my problems with the games' overarching direction I was still enjoying myself quite a bit, loved the gunplay, enjoyed retuning how I played with the Thruster Pack in my arsenal, relished going on gamelong, powerboosted dong sprees as the King in Team Regicide. Something's just not hooking me in like Halo usually does, which is strange because I think Halo 4 is better than Reach and I never stopped playing that. I made a post before about how it feels like there's not much to learn in Halo 4, not much depth beneath the frantic instant respawn ker-raziness of its slayer experience. There's no weapon spawns to learn, no timers to memorise; because of this the maps feel like they either have no decent flash points at all or they have obviously exploitable, cheap areas like lift camping on Abandon (dreadful map) or the tall building on Complex. There's rarely a decent incentive to leave these sorts of areas.

An example of the sorts of areas I'm after are BR 3 on Lockout (dominant but with three areas of vulnerability), S3 on Guardian (same), P3 on Midship (great view of most of the map but highly exposed). The Pit is a great example of regulated combat being rotated between sections of the map based on power weapons and power-ups. I didn't feel this combat flow in Halo 4 which is crucial to an authentic Halo experience.

One thing stepping back from Halo for a while has posed for me is the lack of value in XBL Gold if I'm not playing Halo. Working through the single player DLC in Dark Souls now so I'm not feeling the pinch of no PvP at all. I got Skyrim for Christmas which is single player so I don't need Gold there. Then it occurred to me that if I wanted to play other multiplayer shooters such as COD, Battlefield, Far Cry 3 et al I could do so for free on a PS3. So really, Halo is the deciding factor in wether I pay for Gold. I've had my renewal lined up in advance of expiration every year since 2007, not daring to chance a situation where I can't play Halo. This time, it expired, I used the 14 day trial from Halo 4, and I haven't bought Gold again. I'm not really in any rush to either. In the back of my mind I feel like I'm waiting for the patch that brings Halo 4 up to release standard; in the meantime I've got DS DLC and Skyrim to tackle.

This current apathy towards Halo is affecting my thoughts going into the new generation too. Before, Halo was a trumpcard which meant MS won every time with my money. Now it's not an unthinking purchase. It's already started with not instantly renewing Gold and, significantly, not unquestioningly buying the DLC, something which I've done with every pack since H 3's Heroic (343 got the Crimson mappack totally wrong, should have been three 4v4 maps in light of the launch maps, aesthetics were bad too). Next gen I'll be weighing up my options more carefully.

I enjoy Halo 4 for the most part. But it should be so, so much more. For a hundred million dollars we should have at least gotten fileshares that work, video rendering capabilities, functional splitscreen, campaign theatre/scoring, announcer in theatre and a UI with headshot counts in the post match stats (inb4 medals). Basically all stuff we've been enjoying in Halo for years.

At the moment, Halo 4 is not creating a scratch that needs to be itched. Halo 3 and Reach put bugs under my skin.

This.

Halo 4 is gorgeous - I think the environments shit all over the ones we got in Halo 1 -> Reach. Halo 3 had some impressive scope and nice colours - but looked incredibly average all the same. Reach was a massive improvement despite losing some of the colour. Halo 4 has (for the most part) got the colours back - and has far more impressive scenery/backdrops/setpieces than anything I experienced in the previous games.

At which moment, exactly? The scene pretty much starts blown out before Chief is on screen..

u8OP1l.jpg

If you could tell me the exact moment you want I could grab it, just made myself a checkpoint right before the scene

Wait a gosh darn minute.. Shouldn't MC's visor eliminate the need for him to put his hand up like that?

hyperbole.
Haha. I've never seen anything like that. You can find bad textures and weird oddities sure, but the effect in total is incredible.

Please never use a shot like this again. So useless and espeicially anticlimactic considering the awesome sequence that preceeds it.
Yes, seriously. Possibly the weakest moment in the game right there. Why did it even exist?

FUDcast Ep 10 -- Spartan Ops

(Warning: High salt levels from Dani)
Listen to it on Forward Unto Dawn at:
http://www.forwarduntodawn.com/tidal-waving-fud-podcast-episode-ten/
Listened to a little bit of this (slow day at work and all) but I couldn't disagree more with their complaints about Majestic. They're gung ho dudebros so they can have some more actual dialogue than you would with a team of hardened spartans. And Spartan IVs *aren't* the classic Spartans we know and love, with only Thorne having anywhere near the needed disposition. I think its perfectly OK to find their characters to be annoying, as they're still wet behind the ears compared to the Chief, and I like the contrast and their competitive egos.

Arnie

I'd concur the assertion that in prior games you played maps, whereas now you play on them.

Timing's fallen out the window, as have weapon spawns and powerups. There's no balance incentive to be in specific parts of the map during specific moments, and thus the map feels less impactful in the overall flow, and outcome, of the match.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
This Kotaku article is making my head spin a little. I feel like I'm having trouble identifying what she claims to be the stereotype and then what she actually believes to be true. I'll probably just copy and paste the whole article and respond to each paragraph or something. Or maybe I just need more time to digest.

what you don't like using the predator missile from call of duty?
It actually mattered where you aimed the predator.

I'd concur the assertion that in prior games you played maps, whereas now you play on them.
This is something I don't mind at all. Whats of the utmost important is the geometry of the maps and where the most strategic ground is for whatever loadout or vehicle you happen to have, and how your team is positioned. There is still movement and flow on the map because when teams settle into set positions, one team is going to end up with the upper hand, and other players will always move in to flank or just to be sneaky (or from respawns, depending).

There's no balance incentive to be in specific parts of the map during specific moments, and thus the map feels less impactful in the overall flow, and outcome, of the match.
I don't get this at all. Sections of the map change in importance and value based upon how the battles are going and who has what armaments. Its just not tied to a clock.

Listened to a little bit of this (slow day at work and all) but I couldn't disagree more with their complaints about Majestic. They're gung ho dudebros so they can have some more actual dialogue than you would with a team of hardened spartans. And Spartan IVs *aren't* the classic Spartans we know and love, with only Thorne having anywhere near the needed disposition. I think its perfectly OK to find their characters to be annoying, as they're still wet behind the ears compared to the Chief, and I like the contrast and their competitive egos.

Speaking of which, I heard a marine yell "COME AT ME BRO!" from the passenger seat last night lol.. I was a little thrown off by it tbh.

I agree though, it's disappointing to see the Spartan IV's being depicted this way.

I agree though, it's disappointing to see the Spartan IV's being depicted this way.
I don't mind their depiction, because if anything it screams to me that they have a lot to learn, and that we should expect them at some point to be humbled. Maybe I'm just being optimistic though. It depends upon where 343 takes the story and their whole man/machine theme.

J10

Banned
Wait a gosh darn minute.. Shouldn't MC's visor eliminate the need for him to put his hand up like that?

Yes, it should polarize to compensate automatically, but there's at least one instance in one of the novels where there is a light so bright that even with the tint turned all the way up he still ends up squinting. Can't remember which novel exactly, but I wanna say First Strike, during the mission where Blue Team destroys the Unyeilding Heirophant.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
so uh

you guys still playing halo 4 huh
I haven't consciously played it alone in maybe a week, but that's also partially me tackling my backlog (of which I am making great progress)

Thing is, like with any other Halo, I play mostly local MP. And that suffers in this game. Framerates, maps loading in at unacceptable rates, and I hate to sound like a broken record, but the broken file browser most of all is hurting get-togethers we have to play Halo. People are getting bored because we're running out of wacky gametypes and small maps to play, despite most of them loving the core gameplay (I've had quite a few people notice the awesome jump height the game has, after Reach).

Also, challenges kind of worked as good motivation for me to play, but they have run dry of new challenges faster than reach. Win x games monthly AGAIN?! For the third month in a row? I pray this is just them being on vacation, but then I remind myself it wouldn't have taken much effort to create some other kind of thing to track, especially considering they don't care much when implementing challenges that encourage boosting anyways.

If you are getting a lot of irritation from shaving consider shaving in the shower. Just go buy a $5 hand-held mirror, it's easier on your skin.

Although the obvious answer is don't shave everyday if you are in a position where you can do so. I've fallen into a pattern of shaving every 3 or 4 days, I quite like it, although understandably some people might be a position where they are expected to be clean shaven.

I haven't consciously played it alone in maybe a week, but that's also partially me tackling my backlog (of which I am making great progress)
Same backlog here, but the game just really isn't all that great for solo play. That's another aspect of the game where Spartan Ops really dropped the ball and is in no way a replacement for Reach's firefight, although ODST's firefight was similarly tuned for two players minimum.

If I don't have a buddy to go online with all thats left is campaign, and I've run through it on heroic, co-op legendary (even if that p.o.s. Waypoint seems completely unaware of it.) and solo legendary, so am running out of motivations to replay it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom