• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little personal project I've been working on in regards to the fact that Halo 4's current party UI is pretty awkward to say the least.

Cheers

So much data feels like a mix between Halo 2 and Halo 3 UIs, I dont think it fits on a normal television but great design compared to Halo 4's UI.

The Armor is useless in this version anyway, at least the colors are because there really are no FFA gametypes anyway. I'll be honest, with RvB teams I can barely make out anything other than the helmet.

Couple of things I would like to see addressed:

Host Migration takes way to long and has a 50/50 chance of you being killed because players become active at different times. It also resets your loadout which is a real pain in the ass. It defaults to your first loadout.

Speaking of loadouts, if I hit Y to change my loadout give me more that 1 second to change it. The loadout selection screen should not go away on a respawn until I pick one.

That wouldn't demand you need to show them on screen like that (or at all) though.
True, but I can see the way it works being considered a win from the tech and player customization teams.

I don't mind the layout, but the lag can get to me.

Host Migration takes way to long and has a 50/50 chance of you being killed because players become active at different times. It also resets your loadout which is a real pain in the ass. It defaults to your first loadout.
Yep, I've mostly had good days lately when it comes to host migration, but some nights it seems to happen every match. And really, what the hell is with it resetting loadouts? That's a major bug and the reason my first loadout is a jack-of-all-trades one, just to be sure.

Speaking of loadouts, if I hit Y to change my loadout give me more that 1 second to change it. The loadout selection screen should not go away on a respawn until I pick one.

If you hit Y twice pretty fast you can bug the UI and shows two layers of your Loadouts and spawn at the same time and Host migration its no longer resets the power weapons location like Reach but resets the vehicles spawns =(

JMizzlin

Matchmaking is fucking pathetic today. I'd been having such a good week of games and then today is just bullshit.

Matches with people under 40 SR on my team while the other team has players with over 150.
JIP a game where my team is losing 700 to 200.
Extraction where no-one knows how to play (I didn't even realise it was finally in the game).

And there's like no-one in Crimson DLC. Fuck this noise.

all they needed to do was make reach's ui blue. how can you possibly fuck that up?

Matchmaking is fucking pathetic today. I'd been having such a good week of games and then today is just bullshit.

Matches with people under 40 SR on my team while the other team has players with over 150.
JIP a game where my team is losing 700 to 200.
Extraction where no-one knows how to play (I didn't even realise it was finally in the game).

And there's like no-one in Crimson DLC. Fuck this noise.

dont worry my friend there are over 1 million UU's each day according to ozzy. your individual experienceis not what is important. this is the fastest selling halo so far!

yea i made that clear and requested a countdown timer before game starts so everyone get back in game and before starting after migration. of course it wasnt added because i dont think 343 bothers to read and see my suggestions as useful. it actually was on my list of things the next halo needs for REACH. 2 halos ago n still hasnt been done.

Played last night at around 8:30PST: 23K players in Big Team Slayer and 15K in regular Infinity Slayer. Crimson DLC list showed something like 530 players in all.

Blueblur1

Crimson DLC's population drop is really surprising to me. I mean, the maps aren't great but they're better than Reach maps. I thought they would maintain a population of at least 1k on a daily basis.

J10

Banned
Whats the consensus on the current DLC playlist population? Would it be higher now if people hadn't gotten them for free initially, or would no one have paid for them anyway?

Striker

Crimson DLC's population drop is really surprising to me. I mean, the maps aren't great but they're better than Reach maps. I thought they would maintain a population of at least 1k on a daily basis.
Are they?

People keep saying this but I'll take Reach's best ones over H4's best ones easily so far. Most of them are asymmetric so they fit no billing whatsoever except Slayer if you're into that.

Whats the consensus on the current DLC playlist population? Would it be higher now if people hadn't gotten them for free initially, or would no one have paid for them anyway?
It was huge (relatively speaking) when the maps were free.

Paid map packs are just plain idiotic, but especially so for anything not COD.

Rev3rb

yea i made that clear and requested a countdown timer before game starts so everyone get back in game and before starting after migration. of course it wasnt added because i dont think 343 bothers to read and see my suggestions as useful. it actually was on my list of things the next halo needs for REACH. 2 halos ago n still hasnt been done.

I remember asking for individual start menus for each split screen player rather than a huge pause menu that fucks everyone over on the tv. It was in a long time ago, but disappeared in recent Halos.

Though, with the way they handled split screen in this game, I'm not surprised it didn't make it in. Maybe next time!
nope

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
reach UI was pretty much perfect. shouldve kept it that way and updated designs only
Agreed. The only major thing it was lacking was gametype / playlist info.

Are they?

People keep saying this but I'll take Reach's best ones over H4's best ones easily so far. Most of them are asymmetric so they fit no billing whatsoever except Slayer if you're into that.
Yeah, Reach maps were pretty awful, but they were still better than what we have with H4.

Halo Reach Launch Maps I Enjoy:
- Powerhouse
- Countdown (though the power weapons were terrible)
- Zealot (except for the zero grav zone)
- Asylum (if we're counting Forge maps)

Halo 4 Launch Maps I Enjoy:
- Haven (genuinely fantastic)
- Abandon (merely adequate)

Are they?

Well, if 343 would just do asymmetrical gametypes for asymmetrical maps then all would be fine. I don't think that functionality currently exists in-game, though.

I wanted the option to choose to either [Save and Quit] or just [Quit Game] in Campaign. I remember in Halo 1 having my Save and Quit right before the warthog run. To keep from losing it I always shut off my console when I was done playing Campaign. Options bro, I just want options.

Blueblur1

Are they?

In this instance, I'm talking about the Crimson maps which I do think are better than most of Reach's maps. While simple, I'm rather fond of Harvest and I really enjoy Wreckage. Shatter is terrible though.

I wanted the option to choose to either [Save and Quit] or just [Quit Game] in Campaign. I remember in Halo 1 having my Save and Quit right before the warthog run. To keep from losing it I always shut off my console when I was done playing Campaign. Options bro, I just want options.

"We've found throughout our playtesting at Microsoft Laboratories, that options tend to confuse the casual player"
~343i

In this instance, I'm talking about the Crimson maps which I do think are better than most of Reach's maps. While simple, I'm rather fond of Harvest and I really enjoy Wreckage. Shatter is terrible though.
Heh. I' have exactly the opposite opinion. Shatter is great with a ton of verticality and varied spaces. Wreckage seems to be teams holding the top and sniping with ample cover, or crammed into the middle ship with one-shot weapons. I just still don't grock Harvest - that level is just plain weird in every way.

"We've found throughout our playtesting at Microsoft Laboratories, that options tend to confuse the casual player"
~343i
Goes against the MS design principles I use in software development. Design for the 95% of use cases to be as simple as possible, but always provide options for the power users. I don't understand the lack of options in console games as anything other than trying to reduce the testing workload.

u4iX

I'm actually under the firm belief that Haven isn't that good of a map, but it is the best map Halo 4 currently offers.

If I were to make a tier list combining the Halo 4 and Halo: Reach default maps, I'd rank them as follows.

1. Countdown
  2. Powerhouse
  3. Haven
  4. Abandon
  5. Boardwalk
  6. Reflection
  7. Zealot
  8. Adrift
  9. Meltdown
  10. Ragnarok

I think Reach had better 4v4 to 5v5 maps, and Halo 4 has better 8v8 maps, but they aren't as strong as the Reach or 4 4v4 maps.

Merguson

Banned
I'm actually under the firm belief that Haven isn't that good of a map, but it is the best map Halo 4 currently offers.

If I were to make a tier list combining the Halo 4 and Halo: Reach default maps, I'd rank them as follows.

1. Construct
  2. Powerhouse
  3. Haven
  4. Abandon
  5. Boardwalk
  6. Reflection
  7. Zealot
  8. Adrift
  9. Meltdown
  10. Ragnarok

I think Reach had better 4v4 to 5v5 maps, and Halo 4 has better 8v8 maps, but they aren't as strong as the Reach or 4 4v4 maps.

Construct is a Halo 3 map.

I didnt mind Anchor 9 because it was actually small. Tired of this btb pansy pandering. Get these large maps out of my Halo. I want some arenas to dong in. Tired of walking around ten seconds just to find someone to poop on.

iZ8qWVfELZGzB.jpg

1. Countdown
  2. Powerhouse
  3. Haven
  4. Abandon
  5. Boardwalk
  6. Reflection
  7. Zealot
  8. Adrift
  9. Meltdown
  10. Ragnarok

Agreed. Sadly, the gametype for 8v8 isn't that great (only Infinity Slayer). Halo 4 does >4v4 pretty well, but I believe CTF or Assault or even Dominion would be a ton of fun in 8v8. We'll see I guess. Also, I like Adrift, too. Problem is, 4v4 is practically non-existent.

Pumped for Season 4.

Havok

Abandon and Boardwalk above Zealot? wat.

Considering Abandon is only adequate for Slayer and Ball, while Zealot was the best Slayer/CTF/Assault map that Reach had unless you wanted to go into the MLG variants, I can't agree with that. Once they introduced the Arena variant, it was easily my favorite map in the game. Heck, I'd probably put it over Haven just because it is more versatile and was in the game that had better gametypes.

Boardwalk is trash. Something like Anchor 9, even with its space section problems, blows it out of the water.

Striker

Well, if 343 would just do asymmetrical gametypes for asymmetrical maps then all would be fine. I don't think that functionality currently exists in-game, though.
Maybe, maybe not.

Complex wouldn't work well even if they had 1-flag. It has no real structural building that make for a defensive base that works. Abandon has no where to put anything - it lives and dies off that middle tower anyway. Then you have maps like Solace and Exile which show a layout of symmetry, but have opposite styles of bases that just wouldn't work for an attack-defend game.

Sort of, I guess? It's hard to distinguish given the playlist they set out. Meltdown is probably the more complete 8v8 map in the game, and one that would make sense for CTF given how they set it up. I like Longbow, it works, but the flag placements are hilarious. Exile, Ragnarok, and Vortex just don't work very well in 8v8 and become a mess pretty quickly.

Reach still had Asylum (despite the bad forging), Zealot (Arena), and Powerhouse as its top three for me in terms of Slayer, CTF, and Assault. There's nothing close to resembling that type of versatility in H4. Haven works well, but it's still not a great map to me. Not sure what 343 did to the spawns, but Haven often has some of the worst bunch I've seen in 5v5. We'll never know how well many things in this game could work since we aren't utilized with decent options and gametype selections. Wreckage was mentioned above, but it does not work for 2-flag and certainly not in Oddball. It's things like that which kill the combinations of maps/gametypes; there's literally a small handful I enjoy in it.

I wonder if there are players out there that genuinely think anyone other than themselves cares about their armour. Shame that is what is standing in the way of a functional UI, and always will.
If the baseball card design retained any value to opponents whatsoever, I would have been fine with the change. Unfortunately, there's nothing that tells you anything about your opponent besides how s/he wants to look and what Specialization they're grinding towards. Worthless. If anything, Specs should have been tied to armor, so at the very least you could make a visual call on what kind of game you'll be in for. Stats on their preferred Armor Ability and loadout would have been actually something meaningful that could have given me a better chance of beating my enemy. But instead I get nothing except ugly pictures of mostly ugly armor and color schemes.

I didnt mind Anchor 9 because it was actually small. Tired of this btb pansy pandering. Get these large maps out of my Halo. I want some arenas to dong in. Tired of walking around ten seconds just to find someone to poop on.

+1. The game has enough to offer BTB. Get complex out of the slayer playlists and replace it with 3 maps a third of it's size or smaller please.

u4iX

Abandon and Boardwalk above Zealot? wat.

Considering Abandon is only adequate for Slayer and Ball, while Zealot was the best Slayer/CTF/Assault map that Reach had unless you wanted to go into the MLG variants, I can't agree with that. Once they introduced the Arena variant, it was easily my favorite map in the game. Heck, I'd probably put it over Haven just because it is more versatile and was in the game that had better gametypes.

Boardwalk is trash.

Default Zealot.

Arena Zealot made improvements, and MLG Zealot was better still.

So I agree with you on Zealot eventually earning a higher rank, but I tried to keep the list default and "out of the box."

Havok

Default Zealot.

So I agree with you on Zealot eventually earning a higher rank, but I tried to keep the list default and "out of the box."
I guess, but even then, default Zealot was used for Team Objective since soft kill zones reset objective items. It worked for those gametypes. Arena Zealot made it tolerable in Slayer, but it was a great objective map out of the box.

kylej

Banned
please wait to make the next thread until after Sig and Cosmo run tomorrow at AGDQ. I'm expecting 45k+ viewers by the end of Sig's run. It will be hype.

You're exhausting.

I'm exhausted. I'm tired of all of the people who are choosing to settle for less. No one should just accept what 343 is doing if they don't like it. Seriously, complain where they can see it. Why would you accept these empty promises and half-truths? I've been complaining about the game because I like the franchise and I do not enjoy seeing it brought down with sub par games. I'm doing my best to not add to the population numbers either. 343 doesn't seem to get the picture despite people's complaints with H4 and Reach. Perhaps if the population falls enough they will understand.

Don't settle for a poor game; demand something better.

Default Zealot.

Then how the fuck is Countdown on your list at all, let alone the top? One of the worst maps in existence with default.

I'm exhausted. I'm tired of all of the people who are choosing to settle for less. No one should just accept what 343 is doing if they don't like it. Seriously, complain where they can see it. Why would you accept these empty promises and half-truths? I've been complaining about the game because I like the franchise and I do not enjoy seeing it brought down with sub par games. I'm doing my best to not add to the population numbers either. 343 doesn't seem to get the picture despite people's complaints with H4 and Reach. Perhaps if the population falls enough they will understand.

I'm all for that and agree with every word, but I can't take some acting like Reach was better. It wasn't. We didn't even have a TU to talk about until nearly a year after. There are maps in Halo 4 that I actually enjoy playing on (Haven and Longbow). Haven is the best map to come out of the last two games. I'm just not going to justify the support and maps we had in Reach because I never want to see that again in the series.

Halo 4 isn't what we want in a Halo game, but it's still better than what we had before, which wasn't all that hard.

u4iX

Caught this on r/gaming about the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer.

Pretty awesome way of communicating with your potential fans/clientele.

Then how the fuck is Countdown on your list at all, let alone the top? One of the worst maps in existence with default.

Because if I put Powerhouse as number one you all would think I'm crazy, and I dunno, I just always kinda liked that map.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Well obviously man, have you seen this thread? The percentage of us that like the game is like 2, and even those of us that like it have issues that we've raised. Those that hate it just don't keep ramming it into the ground (well, not as much as they could). A lot of people dislike it, some like it, some like it with exceptions.

Because if I put Powerhouse as number one you all would think I'm crazy, and I dunno, I just always kinda liked that map.

Powerhouse *is* better than Countdown default. If we're taking what the game shipped with, Powerhouse is understandable. But putting Countdown so high, shipped maps or not, on default settings is just a sin against man. Only thing worse would be if you put Sword Base.

*waits for u4iX to edit list with Sword Base at top, thread to end with epic implosion*

Havok

I'm all for that and agree with every word, but I can't take some acting like Reach was better. It wasn't. We didn't even have a TU to talk about until nearly a year after. There are maps in Halo 4 that I actually enjoy playing on (Haven and Longbow). Haven is the best map to come out of the last two games. I'm just not going to justify the support and maps we had in Reach because I never want to see that again in the series.

Halo 4 isn't what we want in a Halo game, but it's still better than what we had before, which wasn't all that hard.
As someone who values good objective gametypes more than most things, yes, Reach was better. Not the base mechanics, no, though I think TU Reach is good enough. But I could play a good version of CTF (both 1 and 2 Flag), I could play Assault (my favorite gametype in the series), I could play a version of Oddball and King that, while not as refined as the current versions, were still plenty of fun. Most importantly, those gametypes were suited for the maps that were made (Neutral Bomb Zealot, CTF Zealot, 1 Flag Reflection, the list goes on). For folks that play primarily Slayer, I understand a preference for H4, but the objective modes are sorely lacking. To put it in perspective, Adrift is the only map in the CTF playlist that is truly symmetrical and that shows up with any degree of regularity (which discounts the only symmetrical 5v5 Crimson map). Every time I have to play 2 Flag Complex or Abandon, a little piece of my soul dies.

Meanwhile, maps that could be fine with good gametypes exist in H4, but are being criminally underutilized. Why doesn't Longbow or Meltdown have any CTF yet? Instead we're seeing half the maps in the game being used for A) BTB Slayer (zzzz) or B) Dominion (a Heavies-style power weapon clusterfuck, hooray!).

Haven is fine, but it's a Slayer map that happens to work with Oddball, rather than an objective map that happens to work well with Slayer.

Different priorities, is all.

u4iX

Powerhouse *is* better than Countdown default. If we're taking what the game shipped with, Powerhouse is understandable. But putting Countdown so high, shipped maps or not, on default settings is just a sin against man. Only thing worse would be if you put Sword Base.

*waits for u4iX to edit list with Sword Base at top, thread to end with epic implosion*

Foundation is the greatest map ever invented.

You can tell because it's the easiest map to make in Forge, but no one makes it.

It's like its jersey was retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom