• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

I think I'm gonna take a vacation to Nexuiz while this patch is waiting to come out.

And play a match with all 3 other people still playing it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Sounds like someone misspoke
No, no the conversation line was how Camo was made an armor ability, when both Camo and OS were pickups.

I'm just wondering since Halo 4 already jumped the shark why OS is personal ordnance and not an AA.

How exactly would you balance that, if you could just turn on OS whenever you wanted. OS was always a more powerful pickup than Camo. So it makes sense one became an ordnance drop and one became a AA.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
How exactly would you balance that, if you could just turn on OS whenever you wanted. OS was always a more powerful pickup than Camo. So it makes sense one became an ordnance drop and one became a AA.
Nothing is balanced, das the joke juicey.

OS coulda been the new armor lock.

blamite

MLG dropping Halo 4 is basically game over for OGRE2
In4s1l.jpg

No, no the conversation line was how Camo was made an armor ability, when both Camo and OS were pickups.

I'm just wondering since Halo 4 already jumped the shark why OS is personal ordnance and not an AA.

It's too easy to rack up kills with OS as an AA. Imagine OS for a highly skilled player every 30-45 seconds. All they would need is a DMR and that AA with some grenades, doubles/triples and sprees in a bag really.

Take 1v1 encounters and there is really very little counters to a rushing player with DMR ranged or BR/AR mid-short range or grenades/headshots or another counter AA etc. Further you can't really evade the OS attacker that much because of the sprint slow down affect. Team work would be the one major counter to OS or catching the OS player unaware.

Obviously OS is better as ordnance, in terms of Infinity but for the new Slayer Pro V2 perhaps all as ordnance or power ups.

When I look at all the other AA's I see a list of at least 7-10 counters, not so with OS.

senador

Banned
I really hate when people do this, but I am going to do it anyway. Sorry.

I haven't been reading for a long time, got busy and stuff. Do we have any details of what changes might be coming? TU news? Any word on Filebrowser?

Nice! I need to get caught up on these, I'm a few behind. I is sad.

I wish Halo 4 had a playlist of BR starts and weapons on map and no armour abilities.

I love the Halo 4 BR. I'd like that.

I really miss the ability to render your videos. Halo Waypoint all around has been a bit of a letdown.

This Mr. Stay Puft's okay!

GhaleonEB

I see the DMR not being in Halo 5. Gut feeling

Well 343 loved it so much in Reach they brought it back in Halo 4, one of only two weapons from that game they carried forward. I had hoped they would have recognized that it was a bad thing from that game alone. But having made that mistake alongside others (camo as AA rather than pick up, the jetpack), I feel like the game they released really is pretty much the game they wanted to release, and the experience players are having is largely by design. Until they say otherwise, of course.

Camo rules. Adapt scrubs.

Just finished listening to the podcast. Good work Tashi and co.

Shoutouts at end had me laughing. You really touched on a lot of good stuff.

StayPuft

Neo Member
I may be the minority, but I really enjoy the DMR. I do feel the range on it could be dialed back. Being sprayed from across the map by a group can be extraordinarily frustrating.

Well 343 loved it so much in Reach they brought it back in Halo 4, one of only two weapons from that game they carried forward. I had hoped they would have recognized that it was a bad thing from that game alone. But having made that mistake alongside others (camo as AA rather than pick up, the jetpack), I feel like the game they released really is pretty much the game they wanted to release, and the experience players are having is largely by design. Until they say otherwise, of course.

Just playlists once again, they fell short on classic playlists, maps and game experience.

I haven't been reading for a long time, got busy and stuff. Do we have any details of what changes might be coming? TU news? Any word on Filebrowser?

Official words so far:

1. TU late feb, speculation has it at the same time as the majestic map pack.

2. File browser = in game late JAN (29th) and waypoint website late FEB.

3. Weekly changes for the playlists over the next 3 weeks are in the Waypoint bulletins. Run down as:

Week of 1/21
Spartan Ops Episode 6: Five new missions and an accompanying new CG cinematic.
"Forge Test" playlist (name not final): A rotational hopper featuring small Forge maps such as Relay. Help us test these maps by providing feedback and reporting bugs that will assist us in getting them ready for Matchmaking!
Specializations: Pioneer and Pathfinder Specializations unlocked for all players.

Week of 1/28
Spartan Ops Episode 7: Five new missions and an accompanying new CG cinematic.
Grifball playlist: A rotational hopper featuring everybody’s favorite virtual sport. Catch the disease!
Specializations: Engineer and Stalker Specializations unlocked for all players.

Week of 2/4
Spartan Ops Episode 8: Five new missions and an accompanying new CG cinematic.
Team Doubles playlist: A rotational hopper for those of you that like action of the 2 vs 2 variety.
Specializations: Rogue and Tracker Specializations unlocked for all players.

I may be the minority, but I really enjoy the DMR. I do feel the range on it could be dialed back. Being sprayed from across the map by a group can be extraordinarily frustrating.

Yes I love the DMR over the BR too. I don't mind the longer range as it enables you to tackle personal ordnance power weapon players, camo snipers and the like. I'd be ok if they changed the range to 2.5 scope but altering the kill times just so the BR does better at range is silly IMO.

A competent BR user at close range out does a DMR user, mid range is a mixed bag and longe range is the DMR's dominion. There are so many more factors beyond kill times that differ 100-200ms, like positioning, cover, team work, cadence, flinch, online latency, crouch dodge, jump to avoid headshot kill, stealth to get the drop, higher ground, AA's etc etc.

I just don't get all the DMR hate I suppose.

The DMR is such a problem in Halo 4, more so than Reach. I don't know it is the bullet magnetism, auto-aim or both, but the DMR makes map movement impossible on the bigger more open maps. Just looks at how Ragnarok plays out...ugh.

Weird I can move in infinity slayer, somewhat BTB infinity and CTF on ragnarok just the same as I did on Valhalla in BTB, slayer or CTF/assault. What am I doing differently?

The DMR is such a problem in Halo 4, more so than Reach. I don't know it is the bullet magnetism, auto-aim or both, but the DMR makes map movement impossible on the bigger more open maps. Just looks at how Ragnarok plays out...ugh.

3x scope is a huge factor.

Edit: My response doesn't make any sense. 3X scope was in Reach, and so that doesn't make it "worse."

Overdoziz

Banned
DMR -> 2x scope -> shorter auto-aim range -> 4 shot
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
---------------------->a good game<----------------------

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, getting on Reach. Come listen to me sing K-Ci and Jojo.

Karl2177

I played some Ragnarok yesterday. That was some baaaaaad stuff. It actually took a big problem of Valhalla and amplified it. Never once did anyone cross the middle of the map because otherwise they would get DMR'd. I've said to make it take one less shot to kill and make it a pick up weapon. Then you've filled a role of a utility weapon, and it allows an offensive counter scope weapon.

Ramirez

I'm out of the loop these days, but I was checking gaming side and saw that Halo 4 dropped to the 4th spot on the activity charts? lol wow...

Such a good base game muddled underneath a pile of horse shit.

I played some Ragnarok yesterday. That was some baaaaaad stuff. It actually took a big problem of Valhalla and amplified it. Never once did anyone cross the middle of the map because otherwise they would get DMR'd. I've said to make it take one less shot to kill and make it a pick up weapon. Then you've filled a role of a utility weapon, and it allows an offensive counter scope weapon.

Yuck, so the best ranged weapon you'd have in your scenario would be the BR or lightrifle. Where as the other team could be sporting a laser, sniper, binary or picked up DMR when you spawn with just a BR. Their team could be leading when you JiP in and get handed a BR to tackle the enemy team having say 3 of those ranged power weapons.

Not feeling it mate, Infinity needs counters to all the power weapons and the BR/DMR should have a tangible range difference IMO. Classic, maybe DMR as pickup would work where the other ranged power weapons are more scarce.

Kuroyume

Banned
Why not just remove both the DMR and BR from H5 and make it AR or SMG starts since that's what it sounds like some of you babies want.

Top Bottom