• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Fans Sick Of Walking Dead Bugs Want Their Money Back. From Kotaku.

Interesting another GOTY and critically acclaimed game has major bugs on multiple platforms, issues making the game unplayable and developer/community communication improvements to make. I guess we are not the only ones. I think this helps the argument that 343i want to fix, listen and iterate to keep a wide spectrum of players happy.

Thanks for the OT, makes me feel like I am in a Halo library again, instead of deep behind enemy lines ;)

@Nerd_Fap
Play objective over slayer instead, a lot of those issues go away in those playlists e.g. Smart map and player movement, no personal ordnance random power weapons etc. you know you love objective, play it more! /sales pitch.

*sees people are playing Reach
*grabs Xbox out of bag to set it up
*slips outta hand and hits desk, then floor
*plugs in, turns on, red ring

FML

That's karma for being a whiny bitch on here, I know it.

I have the exact same thing, my misses says I have instant Karma. Literally the moment I do or say something bad Karma slaps me back in line. Sucks.

What else do you search by? Tags and filenames? Maybe.

Tags, films, clips, gametypes, maps, authors, recommendations (which apparently work now).

And obviously, all of those can be filtered by a variety of fields such as downloads, ratings, etc.

All of this is from Reach.

Moa

Tags, films, clips, gametypes, maps, authors, recommendations (which apparently work now).

And obviously, all of those can be filtered by a variety of fields such as downloads, ratings, etc.

All of this is from Reach.

Recommendations have worked since launch.

Fucking shit arghhhhhhhh. If I wasn't trying to pay off a student loan topped with the fact next gen starts soon I'd happily buy another. Just perfect.

RIP in peace Halo Reach Limited Edition Console. I never fully appreciated you.

I miss file share, most popular and newest screenshots while waiting for matchmaking between games. Will be great when fixed.

A regular customs party leader mate throughout 3 & Reach would have 9 or more in a party and we'd randomly try recent players file share for maps or game types. You would be surprised some of the chestnuts we uncovered.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
*sees people are playing Reach
*grabs Xbox out of bag to set it up
*slips outta hand and hits desk, then floor
*plugs in, turns on, red light

FML

That's karma for being a whiny bitch on here, I know it.
Ah, damn. :-(

If 343 patch in classic respawns and static weapon spawns on maps I will play the shit out of Halo 4...but I don't see that happening.
Yeah, it's like you said way back after Halo 4 came out: the core gameplay (movement, gunplay) is pretty much perfect, but all the bells and whistles are... not so perfect. I could easily imagine a Halo 4 that I would enthusiastically go back to. It's just up to 343.

- Five second respawn
- Static weapon spawns with no ordnance drops of any kind
- No armor abilities (No PV, Jetpack, and Camo at the very least)
- No boltshot
- Red Xs

Any of those changes would be great, but I don't see myself being truly happy with Halo 4 unless all those things happen. And that's just slayer. I really want classic objective, too.

Can anyone explain to me why I can't view screenshots while a matchmaking game is loading anymore?
I figured it might have some stupid reason in Halo Reach, and that they'd add it in again for Halo 4. But nope.
That was one of my favorite parts of Halo 3, viewing file share screenshots as the game downloaded.
Now I feel like there is little point to even have a file share honestly.
Very few people are going to look at a file share and download pictures/videos to view later.

Omni

Kinda off topic, but is there anyone else that still can't sign into Bungie.net? I've seen a few people on Waypoint talking about it, but that's about it. Certainly nothing on Bungie itself.

It's kinda frustrating. I don't even know if Bungie knows it's a problem or not.

Can anyone explain to me why I can't view screenshots while a matchmaking game is loading anymore?
I figured it might have some stupid reason in Halo Reach, and that they'd add it in again for Halo 4. But nope.
That was one of my favorite parts of Halo 3, viewing file share screenshots as the game downloaded.
Now I feel like there is little point to even have a file share honestly.
Very few people are going to look at a file share and download pictures/videos to view later.

Because if you're looking at fileshare pictures, your ignoring the most important part of the UI: The player cards.

malfcn

I still don't understand the red X thing..you don't want radar to tell you where enemies are, but you want a big red x to tell you where enemies are.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't understand the red X thing..you don't want radar to tell you where enemies are, but you want a big red x to tell you where enemies are.
Is this in reply to what I was saying? I was talking about having a red X at the spot where you die, like in Halo 2, 3, and Reach. Only your team mates can see it.

Havok

Enemies? No. Dead teammates. I'd like to know where to go to recover the rockets a guy had before the enemies get there.

Especially since map callouts in 4 are kind of ass without static weapon spawns or any sort of meaningful color differences as reference.

Played a bunch of team regicide tonight and loved it. Lots of intense games, lots of back and forth, lots of shifting teamwork.

And never a personal ordnance drop to be found. Guess they aren't as integral to Halo 4 as I once thought.

More and more I'm moving to the opinion than personal and global ordnance as they are in Halo 4 should be relegated to newcomer playlists, with ranking and map control on pro lists with rankings. That breakdown provides the accessibility and power weapon training but leads players who are more competitive (who give a shit about kdr and rankings) towards a natural home as well.

That said, 343 has to be allowed to introduce new elements to the game, and to refine systems, and that won't always satisfy everybody. So even in pro playlists I'd imagine a tuned set of loadouts, but fixed spawns.

Karl2177

:p

Halo 3, scrubs.
I tried telling them that, but they all complained about their internet speeds.
There are Halo fans in this thread that are playing Halo Reach.
Even in gameplay, some aspects are better than Halo 4. I think we played 1 Flag Pro on Powerhouse, and having everyone start off with the same weapons and abilities is great. Also static weapons, both power and lower tier, are a godsend. Plus it's nice having more than 3 maps to play on.

With that said, the bloom settings in Reach are horrible, Camo is still uber stupid, and spawns on Zealot are as bad as Halo 4's instant spawns. I think I spawned and was dead at least 3 times, because someone was looking directly at me. The move speed is far too slow and jump height is restricting. Lastly the Reach grenade radius is abso-fucking-lutely stupid.

Both games are |-----this-----| close from being enjoyable to play. But making them any closer starts to negate the vision that 343 and Bungie had for the games. IMO the worst part is how custom options either aren't there or aren't specific enough.

Also, I'm uploading footage of the greatest game of Halo Reach recorded to my File Share. Scrubs galore. I don't remember which MonsterFranklinator wanted to capture it.

Who let Over make the OP, its terrible. Kyle's OP was entertaining, he clearly put effort into it.

Thanks for the lack of effort Over.

I genuinely want Kyle to make all the OP's, but good job Over, pretty damn impressive OP.

Striker

Yeah, it's like you said way back after Halo 4 came out: the core gameplay (movement, gunplay) is pretty much perfect, but all the bells and whistles are... not so perfect.
While they reduced the heavy inertia in Reach, and upped the base speed a little, I'm still not thrilled with it. For some reason I still find myself getting caught in geometry or feel like my jumps are being held down by cinder blocks at times.
Camo is still uber stupid
It's still somehow worse in Halo 4, for whatever reason. Tag it with Sprint in Reach, remove the red dots on the radar, and that's Halo 4's Camo.

I guess the positive for Reach is most users relied on Sprint. In Halo 4 I've noticed most seem to be using Camo, PV, or Jetpack.

TheOddOne

Great OP, Over. I felt weird typing that.

Time to christen my first post in the new OT with a rant.
Active Roster, or how breaking down and reassembling without respecting basics does not work.

Reach’s implementation of Active Roster was elegant and added something substantial to the game; it made the social aspect easier and more accessible. The feature was so well thought out and done, that it is surprising that Halo 4’s version is so fractured and cumbersome. Instead of building on top of a feature that was already top notch, it was digressed into something that is more of an afterthought. It also begs the questions why it was broken down and reworked, but missed every essence of what made the Active Roster so great.

In Reach it is part of the UI, it is an integrated and non-intrusive. Which is Bungie’s strength, they add things that are extremely useful but do not make a big deal out of it. It is often forward thinking ideas that become staple features people expect going forth. The basic functions of the Active Roster is to see who is playing, what mode they are playing and what parties they might be in. Then it has sub functions such as getting into queue to join somebody, inform you on how long it is going to take, inform others that people are joining the party, make somebody party leader, take parties with you and much more. All of it works, with minimal hassle. When you lay it all out and analyze it, you notice how well it is integrated and how much of it is based around functionality.

Halo 4’s revision delegates the Active Roster to the X button. That might sound like the most useless complaint, but burying things under other menus really isn’t smart or elegant. It is not part of the overall UI and thus feels like more of section then a well integrated feature. You could argue both ways about that though, so it’s more a personal thing in the end. Outside of that, the Active Roster in gives information on what SR rank players are and what they are doing in-game. However the rest of the functions that Reach had are not there or broken to certain extent. Joining other people is cumbersome and for some reason I am not joinable and neither are my friends. When I do get into a party, I either get dropped for no apparent reason or I just can’t connect or the whole party gets dropped altogether. I now actively avoid using this function because of its random “will it work or won’t it” stance.

You might be wondering why I’m so focused on the Active Roster, it’s not like it is a core part of the actual game. You’re right, but there is something to be learned from the implementation of Active Roster; it’s based around seemingly the same ideology the whole game was built upon. From analyzing it, it seems they broke down everything in parts and tried to find the core of it. From there they tried to reassemble it and add their own input. The problem with this way of thinking is that logic is a huge part of why certain thing work. In a way a lot of elements, that at first glance do not actually fit in the overall core of the game, make the core game. One cannot prosper without the other if removed, you could say. Those elements feel lost now or have been moved or replace in places where it makes no sense. What makes it even more annoying in case of the Active Roster is that the first version was so perfect.

It’s not the notion of “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” though, but at the same time there is a reason why certain elements were put in place. Removing or reworking them won’t help. Looking at it and analyzing why it works or doesn’t is the way to go, rebuilding it while at the same time adding more problems will not solve or evolve it. We are left with annoying elements we had for years and a whole new batch of new problems. Bungie was hugely criticized for their stance “Cut fast, cut early”, but in hindsight they were right; built something that works, is logical for most part and polish what you have. Adding elements that are half baked adds nothing. Like I said earlier, the ideology is prevalent all over the game; from the menus to the broken down perk system (staple Halo elements are now delegated to perks) to the load-out system.

I know that every iteration has to have that new car smell thing, games have to sell and regular people are not impressed with small technical additions compared to hardcore fans. At the core, as any multiplayer FPS developer, is to retain a solid playerbase that comes back to play the game; it is understandable that more successful titles are looked upon for ideas to do that. The problem is that not the essence of those ideas are taken, but literally the fluff. Combined with breaking the game down, this obliterates well thought out systems and substitutes them with things that contradict respected systems that worked fine. Do they need a overhaul? Yes. Does this need to be done at cost of well respected fundamentals? No. Like I said before, built upon exiting crucial elements instead of reworking it.

Enough pointing the finger. My opinion on how to approach Halo is to look at fundamentals, such as gameplay, social and content. For most part gameplay was nailed, the core of it feels right but has its own unique feel to it. Let’s say you’re building the next Halo, might I suggest that instead of breaking down the Halo sandbox, break down other games main strengths. Older Halo’s should be looked at of course, but for sake of the new care smell sell look at the other games. For example League of Legends and Starcraft 2, what do people like about it? What makes them keep replaying it? Avoid looking at the fluff. A lot of people would answer (Ok, hardcore fans more so): 60 FPS, ranks, spectator mode, developer support, good UI and more.

The above sounds like a wish list doesn’t it? Well, yes and no. It is impossible to get 60 fps on current generation hardware without making tradeoffs (hopefully next generation it is possible, but even then it’s understandable), however what people do appreciate is a rock solid framerate; it helps the experience and user satisfaction. Spectator mode is nice to have, but there are some things that can be done with the mode. Imagine it becoming a lobby for people to discuss while watching a match, add voting polls, export matches and more to make it more social. Challenges and stats could be intergraded into Active Roster. I could go on and on about player support adding much to the experience. Something that every developer should strive for and not be contempt with the basics. There are other ways to entice new players, without having to break down a perfectly unique game and it’s elements.

Besides getting core fundamentals from other games and learning from them, go back and look at what made Halo’s great, respects the elements that gelled so well and built on top of that. Breaking it down has not helped it at all.

tl; dr I basically go on a rant about not respecting core fundamentals for the sake of the new car smell effect every new iteration has to have to sell.

While they reduced the heavy inertia in Reach, and upped the base speed a little, I'm still not thrilled with it. For some reason I still find myself getting caught in geometry or feel like my jumps are being held down by cinder blocks at times.
It's still somehow worse in Halo 4, for whatever reason. Tag it with Sprint in Reach, remove the red dots on the radar, and that's Halo 4's Camo.

I guess the positive for Reach is most users relied on Sprint. In Halo 4 I've noticed most seem to be using Camo, PV, or Jetpack.

Coincidentally the 3 AAs I think should either be removed, or brought back to the drawing board. They're all misguided anyway, as Hologram is clearly the superior AA. ;)

--

Perusing (lurking) the Waypoint forums, I came across some cool things:

This Forge map is bananas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0OGumweqWM

It's social-oriented, and it says it's a mod, but it's a cool, large city-like map. Probably one of the largest Forge creations I've seen in a long while. Interesting nonetheless.

--

This is a web-based screenshot extraction tool:

http://www.armorwatcher.tk/haloarmor.php?page=experimental

It allows you to extract direct-feed screenshots from Halo 4 from a saved filed that is transferred onto an external USB drive. There have been tools in the past that do something similar, but this is all web-based, so for those that aren't comfortable downloading an executable file, this should work nicely. Might be a little bit too much work for some people, but it's worth noting within the absence of File Shares or a way to capture screenshots without a capture card at this time. Now there is.

--

This is a pretty nice compendium thread of remake maps:
https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst127882_Classic-Map-Remakes---Halo-4.aspx

Seems to be ordered from best performance/gameplay to worst, by game, but I'm not 100% sure on that. There are quite a lot of maps here, but I'm not sure if they're from all around the web, or just Waypoint posted maps. There should be a Classic Gametype section added some time in the future. Still, it's worth keeping an eye on, I think.

--

(From Reddit) A compendium of Halo-related ViDocs:
http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/16eppl/halo_video_documentaries_contains_links_to_every/

There's a lot of great stuff, here. Not sure if HBO contains all these, I'm sure it does, just can't find it. I would rather they'd link to Bungie's account, but if you just want some quick vids, this might be worth taking a look at.

--

8372484258_6942a430ee_b_d.jpg

Bahaha, I don't know whether I should be embarrassed, or proud. I think that's the first time I've been on that list...

Oh, and nice OP, Over. She's a beaut.

Havok

The camo changes were a lateral move at best. Some statistics that might be useful in the future (times are rounded to the nearest half second):

Halo: Reach (TU Variants)
Camo recharge time (static): 17 seconds
Camo duration (stationary): 27.5 seconds
Camo duration (moving): 15 seconds

Halo 4
Camo recharge time (base): 15 seconds
Camo recharge time (AA Efficiency): 9.5 seconds
Camo duration (static): 16.5 seconds

So they removed the benefit for standing still. Smart change. Sure hasn't helped with the camo sniper problem, though, considering the existence of AA Efficiency and Ammo as a possible combination practically begs for camo sniping abuse. The decreased camo time for abusers is offset by the potential to cut its recharge nearly in half. In combination with the fact that the user's radar is not jammed and he has full awareness of any approaching enemies as a result, the camo user is about as powerful as ever.

How do we even approach fixing it? Yeah, scrap it, I know, but assume that option's off the table for now. We should look at what made the Active Camo powerup successful and how it differentiates from the ability. As a powerup, you were under time pressure. Since you had 30 seconds to make the most of the ability, players tended to be aggressive with it, making a push while they had the chance. Camo now does the opposite, encouraging passive play because aggressive play reveals your location and you're in no rush to make the most of the advantage you have.

How I'd change it: Remaining stationary removes the camouflage effect, with a reduced version of the Reach radar jam. You could use it to your benefit to cover your teammates' locations as they pushed into a base, while remaining visible and thus vulnerable. Meanwhile, moving (normal run speed, no sprint) while the ability is active removes the radar jamming effect entirely while giving the user normal camouflage. In essence, while you're moving, it acts just like the powerup would. Maybe your radar blip pulses off and on at set intervals instead of remaining constant, depending on play data. Doesn't work for no radar gametypes, but that was always going to be a wash without returning to powerup form.

Or just scrap it.

JB1981

Played a bunch of team regicide tonight and loved it. Lots of intense games, lots of back and forth, lots of shifting teamwork.

And never a personal ordnance drop to be found. Guess they aren't as integral to Halo 4 as I once thought.

There is no personal ordnance in Team Regicide. Or are you being facetious ?

AA's should be placed on the map as power ups that players need to fight over.

Sprint needs to go.

MLG's solution for AAs in P-Ordnance is interesting.

So they removed the benefit for standing still. Smart change. Sure hasn't helped with the camo sniper problem, though, considering the existence of AA Efficiency and Ammo as a possible combination practically begs for camo sniping abuse. The decreased camo time for abusers is offset by the potential to cut its recharge nearly in half. In combination with the fact that the user's radar is not jammed and he has full awareness of any approaching enemies as a result, the camo user is about as powerful as ever.

How do we even approach fixing it? Yeah, scrap it, I know, but assume that option's off the table for now. We should look at what made the Active Camo powerup successful and how it differentiates from the ability. As a powerup, you were under time pressure. Since you had 30 seconds to make the most of the ability, players tended to be aggressive with it, making a push while they had the chance. Camo now does the opposite, encouraging passive play because aggressive play reveals your location and you're in no rush to make the most of the advantage you have.

How I'd change it: Remaining stationary removes the camouflage effect, with a reduced version of the Reach radar jam. You could use it to your benefit to cover your teammates' locations as they pushed into a base, while remaining visible and thus vulnerable. Meanwhile, moving (normal run speed, no sprint) while the ability is active removes the radar jamming effect entirely while giving the user normal camouflage. In essence, while you're moving, it acts just like the powerup would. Maybe your radar blip pulses off and on at set intervals instead of remaining constant, depending on play data. Doesn't work for no radar gametypes, but that was always going to be a wash without returning to powerup form.

Or just scrap it.

I'd love to be able to test this idea out. I wish there were more modularity within the settings in the game! Halo should be a platform for experimentation like this.

JHall

MLG's solution for AAs in Ordnance is interesting.

It is, I was just thinking about future Halo titles. AA's are apart of Halo now, I've accepted that. Even if I don't like it. I'd be content with AA's only through ordinance or having them on the map like equipment.

Everyone still needs to start on an even plain with weapons. A utility weapon that is useful in all scenarios, that isn't OP/hard to master and an AR secondary.

Also, movement/strafing needs to be exactly like Halo 2.

Top 50 devs:
1. Valve
2. Mojang
3. Nintendo EAD
4. Platinum Games
5. Naughty Dog
6. Rockstar North
7. Bungie
8. FromSoftware
9. Arkane Studios
10. Riot Games
11. Epic Games
12. Media molecule
13. Dice
14. Kojima Productions
15. Irrational
16. ArenaNet
17. Blizzard
18. Rocksteady
19. Ubi Montreal
20. Bethesda
21. Double Fine
22. Terry Cavanagh
23. Thatgamecompany
24. Gearbox
25. 343
26. Firaxis
27. EA Canada
28. Bioware
29. Eidos Montreal
30. Playdead
31. Sony online entertainment
32. Crytek
33. Redlynx
34. Vlambeer
35. CCP
36. Telltale
37. Id
38. Ninja theory
39. Quantic Dream
40. Codemasters
41. Criterion
42. Mossmouth
43. Harmonix
44. Sony Santa Monica
45. Capybara
46. Creative assembly
47. Halfbrick
48. Wayforward
49. Jagex
50. Relic

From this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508016

eeblogue

Neo Member
It is, I was just thinking about future Halo titles. AA's are apart of Halo now, I've accepted that. Even if I don't like it. I'd be content with AA's only through ordinance or having them on the map like equipment.

Everyone still needs to start on an even plain with weapons. A utility weapon that is useful in all scenarios, that isn't OP/hard to master and an AR secondary.

Also, movement/strafing needs to be exactly like Halo 2.

When creating a competitive rule set you cannot give players the option to start with different abilities unless there is some obvious visual cue to what a player is using. Choosing to do so will produce many scenarios where fights feel extremely random and frustrating as players don’t know what their opponent has in their back pocket. Halo 4 isn’t a squad shooter and that is why we should treat Armour Abilities like we did in Reach – as map pick-ups.

Ordinance in any edited way should not feature in competitive setting. The problem isn’t so much what is in the drops; the problem is the way they are awarded. The wining team will have more OD than the losing team, with more drops means you have a greater opportunity to further that lead and control the normal power weapons on the Global Ordnance. Even if you just reduced personal Ordnance to primary weapons (ammo) it still negatively affects map movement.

JHall

When creating a competitive rule set you cannot give players the option to start with different abilities unless there is some obvious visual cue to what a player is using. Choosing to do so will produce many scenarios where fights feel extremely random and frustrating as players don’t know what their opponent has in their back pocket. Halo 4 isn’t a squad shooter and that is why we should treat Armour Abilities like we did in Reach – as map pick-ups.

Ordinance in any edited way should not feature in competitive setting. The problem isn’t so much what is in the drops; the problem is the way they are awarded. The wining team will have more OD than the losing team, with more drops means you have a greater opportunity to further that lead and control the normal power weapons on the Global Ordnance. Even if you just reduced personal Ordnance to primary weapons (ammo) it still negatively affects map movement.

I was talking about default vanilla settings, not strictly competitive settings. If it were up to me, I'd essentially do a carbon copy of Halo CE.

I'm just trying to compromise here.

Edit: like I said in my other post, place them on the map to promote map movement and control.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
thank you over for a respectful and responsible OT. great job too.

Petrichor

I'm not sure either bungie or 343 deserve to be on that list. 343 are still largely unproven with their only title to date being a mixed bag, and bungie seems to only be able to produce excellent titles when a small team is working on them (Halo:CE and ODST), bucking under the pressure when it counts (Halo 2 and 3 had fantastic multiplayer, but both had their fair share of problems, and Reach was a hot mess from start to finish)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Perusing (lurking) the Waypoint forums, I came across some cool things:

This Forge map is bananas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0OGumweqWM

It's social-oriented, and it says it's a mod, but it's a cool, large city-like map. Probably one of the largest Forge creations I've seen in a long while. Interesting nonetheless.

that looks so cool. will be downloading. frame rate be damned?

I'm not sure either bungie or 343 deserve to be on that list. 343 are still largely unproven with their only title to date being a mixed bag, and bungie seems to only be able to produce excellent titles when a small team is working on them (Halo:CE and ODST), bucking under the pressure when it counts (Halo 2 and 3 had fantastic multiplayer, but both had their fair share of problems, and Reach was a hot mess from start to finish)
You know Bungie have made games other than Halo right. Marathon was early FPS genre brilliance, and Myth actually managed to make a game with RTS trappings fun. On the flip 343 have done a remake of CE with half the game taken out, and at best something that people can consider another Halo game. How that manages to edge out the pure pedigree of Bioware, id or Relic is brain hemorrhaging.

I don't know why Naughty Dog is so high on that list. They don't make games anymore, they make playable movies. cc: Uncharted 2 and 3.
People really love their scripted smoke and mirrors apparently. I can only have so much automated platforming, mediocre shooting and bricks crumbling only the moment I jump off them. I guess I can be thankful that neither Treyarch or IW made the cut at least.

Great OT, Overdoziz! I like it! Halo is still a great universe! I enjoy every minute when I talk with other fans about this incredible vast universe!

I don't know why Naughty Dog is so high on that list. They don't make games anymore, they make playable movies. cc: Uncharted 2 and 3.
I have not read the article yet but do you know the criteria? I think the games are not the only factor for the ranking. :)

kylej

Banned
SIGLEMIC COMING UP IN STREAM IN 5 MINUTES I REPEAT SIGLEMIC REVEALING HIMSELF AND PLAYING SM64 IN 5 MINUTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheOddOne

I think we can give them credit for their focus on excellent character development and graphics, besides those two, yeah they don't have much going for them.

Top Bottom