• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

First John Howard joins Microsoft and now Daniel Orzulak? (He was one designers on Halo CE)

I know this post was way back but I don't care haha.

I'm really curious to see where all these devs MS is hiring are going and what they're doing. Not just those two, although I am dying to know what game Howard is the creative director for, but all those guys from Naughty Dog and Irrational who joined as well. I looked some of them up on linkedin a while back and they were all listed as just joining MS and being in Redmond. Maybe 343? Although I'm guessing it's another new studio since 343 already has 300+ people iirc. None of the studios we know about they've opened are in Redmond so it has to be something else if it's not 343.

Madness

I know this post was way back but I don't care haha.

I'm really curious to see where all these devs MS is hiring are going and what they're doing. Not just those two, although I am dying to know what game Howard is the creative director for, but all those guys from Naughty Dog and Irrational who joined as well. I looked some of them up on linkedin a while back and they were all listed as just joining MS and being in Redmond. Maybe 343? Although I'm guessing it's another new studio since 343 already has 300+ people iirc. None of the studios we know about they've opened are in Redmond so it has to be something else if it's not 343.

I think John Howard went to Black Tusk Studios in Vancouver. It's a new Microsoft first party studio they created. If you check their page, they talk about hiring and how since they are under Microsoft they get to be at the forefront for next gen games.

ok, you know what? Fuck this game.

I finally got back to do a solo Legendary run and I am on Reclaimer. You know the level where you are in the biggest vehicle ever and it does shit to help you fight all these wraiths. So I get to the part right before you need to take that lift up to the convenant ship and Wraith after Wraith and Ghosts just keep coming. I thought it was like a Legendary thing so I say there fighting these fucker for an hour. I make a run for the Covi ship and the gravity lift doesnt spawn. The 2 Spartan IVs JUMP to the top of the ship. My Jetpack doesnt work and the Ship is twice as high as its supposed to be so I can't get to it. The Ghosts keep spawning too.

WTF man. I already tried backing out but its still fucked.

Computer

Yes. I also hate sprint because it makes designing maps increasingly harder because you have to factor in the player speed. Not to mention people just use it to rush aimlessly in and out of battle.

But I don't see it ever going away, it's now become a staple in fps games. I remember reading some stats about so many players in call of duty always kept marathon pro on so they could run indefinitely. I bet Frankie could share stats with us and you'd find that mobility is perhaps one of the most used perks for halo 4.

In a game about map control and movement, sprint is important. And if you give people the ability to traverse a map faster, they'll use it.

So add sprint then make all maps bigger. That is a double negative back to zero it is pointless.

Quoted from Greenskulls stream
"I can't play Halo without Jetpack."

*closes stream*

Omni

So the right thumbstick on my 360 controller doesn't work properly. You can zoom in by clicking it or whatever, but when you use it to turn it kinda lags... it's hard to explain. If I push it to the hard right, I will only turn really slowly... sometimes not at all.

Anyone know if there's a fix to this? I'd rather not buy another controller

So the right thumbstick on my 360 controller doesn't work properly. You can zoom in by clicking it or whatever, but when you use it to turn it kinda lags... it's hard to explain. If I push it to the hard right, I will only turn really slowly... sometimes not at all.

Do you have the the one with the transforming dpad? I bought one of those monochrome ones and my right stick is all kinds of messed up. Like you explained, it will turn fine, then suddenly it's like my sensitivity has been dropped to 1. Can't even use it because it makes aiming so inconsistent.

Oh my name changed! I'm slut btw :p

ok, you know what? Fuck this game.

I finally got back to do a solo Legendary run and I am on Reclaimer. You know the level where you are in the biggest vehicle ever and it does shit to help you fight all these wraiths. So I get to the part right before you need to take that lift up to the convenant ship and Wraith after Wraith and Ghosts just keep coming. I thought it was like a Legendary thing so I say there fighting these fucker for an hour. I make a run for the Covi ship and the gravity lift doesnt spawn. The 2 Spartan IVs JUMP to the top of the ship. My Jetpack doesnt work and the Ship is twice as high as its supposed to be so I can't get to it. The Ghosts keep spawning too.

WTF man. I already tried backing out but its still fucked.

Its a freakin documented glitch dating back to release!
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_360_games/e_k/halo_4/f/2481/p/376984/1933244.aspx

http://roosterteeth.com/forum/viewTopic.php?id=2243566

Quoted from Greenskulls stream
"I can't play Halo without Jetpack."
ibnASKM4QvATkn.gif

willow ve

That's what they call a slow turn controller.

A) Is it wired or wireless (the problem is much more prevalent on wired).
B) Is it old or new?

If old you might have just worn out the connections. Or there might just be skin cells, and grime, and dust mucking up your turn. Take the controller apart, clean, put back together.

If it's a new controller (or the above doesn't fix the issue on an old one) then you get to mod it. Take the controller apart and get the front face of the controller (the one with all the button cutouts, etc.). You'll need to physically make the the hole that the right analog stick goes through a bit larger than it currently is. The "slow turn" is actually caused because your controller's analog stick can't register that it is pushed all the way to the right or left. Use a knife, razor, dremel, etc., and shave off material around the entire analog stick opening.

I've had to do this with two controllers over the life of my 360. Take a little material off at a time and then test it.

DeadNames

Banned
I love watching you in the chat haha

It was ridiculous.

Honestly, changing for the sake of change is stupid. Unlike CoD, main Halo games come out every three years. If they added small bits to the gameplay each game (dual wielding), we'd have the same gameplay we all know and love. But for some reason 343 thought they would completely overhaul the Halo formula.

Closing my ReadyUpLive account and never going back.

Jetpack=The Worst.

Actually... What do you guys think is worse? Jetpack of Active Camo? I'm going with Jetpack.

Jetpack.
It breaks the maps, since the moment the designers are taking in account the jetpack to create the map.

Camo can work... as it did in Halo CE, 2, and 3. As a power-up(or ordnance, not sure if global-but-not-random or personal)

Now the boltshot is a completely new matter...

PS: Is ordinance or ordnance?

Karl2177

It was ridiculous.

Honestly, changing for the sake of change is stupid. Unlike CoD, main Halo games come out every three years. If they added small bits to the gameplay each game (dual wielding), we'd have the same gameplay we all know and love. But for some reason 343 thought they would completely overhaul the Halo formula.
To be fair, a large amount of the changes came during Reach.

DeadNames

Banned
To be fair, a large amount of the changes came during Reach.

Not the ones that severely hinder Halo 4.

Sure, Reach introduced AAs and stuff, but did it have perks? No. It also had a traditional weapon spawning system. No flinch, no perks, no unfair ordnance.

lol, chill out

I have absolutely zero expectations for Destiny.

All I know is that it's a Bungie game, and Bungie makes great games.
I meant that in a light-hearted way. Though I guess it can sometimes be hard to get intent through text, especially when I haven't really defined myself on this forum yet (I've only been here for a few days).

Looking forward to destiny too btw.

Omni

Do you have the the one with the transforming dpad? I bought one of those monochrome ones and my right stick is all kinds of messed up. Like you explained, it will turn fine, then suddenly it's like my sensitivity has been dropped to 1. Can't even use it because it makes aiming so inconsistent.

Oh my name changed! I'm slut btw :p
Not sure what a transforming dpad it haha. But yeah, that's what happens!
That's what they call a slow turn controller.

A) Is it wired or wireless (the problem is much more prevalent on wired).
B) Is it old or new?

If old you might have just worn out the connections. Or there might just be skin cells, and grime, and dust mucking up your turn. Take the controller apart, clean, put back together.

If it's a new controller (or the above doesn't fix the issue on an old one) then you get to mod it. Take the controller apart and get the front face of the controller (the one with all the button cutouts, etc.). You'll need to physically make the the hole that the right analog stick goes through a bit larger than it currently is. The "slow turn" is actually caused because your controller's analog stick can't register that it is pushed all the way to the right or left. Use a knife, razor, dremel, etc., and shave off material around the entire analog stick opening.

I've had to do this with two controllers over the life of my 360. Take a little material off at a time and then test it.
Ahh okay. It's wireless and maybe a year old (though haven''t used it in 4+ months as it was a backup controller). Was working fine before though.

But will try that. Thanks!

Computer

Jetpack=The Worst.

Actually... What do you guys think is worse? Jetpack of Active Camo? I'm going with Jetpack.

Jetpack is worse for many reasons. When I am one shot and trying to recharge someone breaks the entire map jetpacks up and pops me in the dome. This also breaks the point of having cover in a map. Another thing that jetpackers do that pisses me off to all hell is when they jetpack backwards up and away from me while shooting me in the top of my head. Due to the slow ass Y axis in Halo they will own every time especially with a AR now that is is on beast mode. Jetpack + AR is a fucking disgrace to Halo. I use bumper jumper so I can't play with it if I wanted to.

malfcn

A few of the controllers with transforming pads have had issues that I felt. Squeaky triggers, drifting sticks and creaking plastic.

Madness

Jetpack is worse for many reasons. When I am one shot and trying to recharge someone breaks the entire map jetpacks up and pops my in the dome. This also breaks the point of having cover in a map. Another thing that jetpackers do that pisses me off to all hell is when they jetpack backwards up and away from me while shooting me in the top of my head. Due to the slow ass Y axis in Halo they will own every time especially with a AR now that is is on beast mode. Jetpack + AR is a fucking disgrace to Halo.

I'd say jetpack is worse in theory but camo is worse in practical terms. You can see a jetpack, often far more easily than someone in camo. Furthermore, a jetpacker is limited in mobility. Once he's in the air he cannot go anywhere but up or down. A jetpacker also has the disadvantage of being shot at by numerous people. For example, take Valhalla/ragnarok... If someone Jetpacks up near the middle hill or at the side turret or pelican, anyone with a dmr can take him out. Now say it's someone camo crouching near the trees or pelican, or near the rocks at waterfall base etc.

Halo 4 is a who sees who game more than any other in the series, with camo, the guy using it easily gets 1-2 shots off before you even register where they are. Add in the fact they can use boltshot, sniper, incineration cannon and someone using camo is far more dangerous than a jetpacker. Camo ruins adrift, ruins ragnarok, longbow etc.

Yes jetpack is more valuable in the sense you can go over cover, take the high ground easily etc. But camo ruins the gams for me far more. I think I've only seen jetpackers more on haven, solace, a lot.

Superman abilities at will in a first person shooter ruined halo. Lets just agree both AA's are game breaking and need to be removed.

Jetpack=The Worst.

Which part of this do I have wrong?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46768681&postcount=5464

The jetpack is balanced. For every advantage it has a disadvantage.

Camo hate I understand, as there's not much in the world more annoying than an invisible sniper. And it leads to people waiting by rocks and squatting around boxes for the easy kill or assassination.

Hardlight shield hate I understand, as its balance requires a teammate to take advantage of a user's exposed flank and rear, but in a 1v1 it just stops things.

But jetpack? I feast upon a steady diet of jetpack users (they make it too easy) and short of squatting up on top of unreachable rocks, which is a map problem, I don't see the issue.

TheOddOne

I think John Howard went to Black Tusk Studios in Vancouver. It's a new Microsoft first party studio they created. If you check their page, they talk about hiring and how since they are under Microsoft they get to be at the forefront for next gen games.
Howard works in Redmond. Daniel works for Black Tusk.

heckfu

Banned
It's cute watching all of these new juniors have the same discussions we've already had a year ago. Some new and creative insight will help you get noticed instead of being a sheep and copying every hyperbolic post.

Speaking of new, anyone played the new FIFA?

Because I am still king at it.

Computer

Camo hate I understand, as there's not much in the world more annoying than an invisible sniper. And it leads to people waiting by rocks and squatting around boxes for the easy kill or assassination.

Hardlight shield hate I understand, as its balance requires a teammate to take advantage of a user's exposed flank and rear, but in a 1v1 it just stops things.

But jetpack? I feast upon a steady diet of jetpack users (they make it too easy) and short of squatting up on top of unreachable rocks, which is a map problem, I don't see the issue.

On some maps I can deal with jetpackers. Maps like abandon and solace is were I have the biggest problem. That is another thing jetpack is the only AA maps have to be designed around that in it self is enough for it to be removed.

Nebula

It's cute watching all of these new juniors have the same discussions we've already had a year ago. Some new and creative insight will help you get noticed instead of being a sheep and copying every hyperbolic post.

Fifa 13? I play it around a friends on the weekend and play 20 minute halfs. Normally ends in one of us being on 10 men and screaming at the ref. It's weird how much I enjoy Fifa yet have yet to buy the game. Been doing this since 09 was released. I was contemplating getting 13, just shopping around for a good deal.

Karl2177

"For every advantage there's a disadvantage." A negative and a positive do not necessarily equal to a negation. Angles of head hit boxes is a simple one. The fastest non-splash damage kill in Halo is the headshot. While going up, the players on the ground have a much harder angle to get a headshot, while the jetpacking player has a much easier headshot. When a map is made, it is made with certain routes for the player, the Jetpack abuses all of that. Look at Ivory Tower and Reflection. One has jetpacks and one doesn't. Which one do you suppose had more intentional flow? Which one had predictable player movements.

I can say it a bunch of times across many different types of posts, but a player that predicts an action and capitalizes on that prediction feels far more rewarded than when it is unpredictable. That can apply to both AI and multiplayer combat. The Jetpack provides an unpredictable way for a player to reach a certain destination. You can look at all of the abilities that people dislike and the common thing you're going to find about them is how predictable it was to the player.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Changing the menu music up would be awesome, have Arrival or To Galaxy play while searching, and just cut out the droning sound when you're matched up.

No, I don't play the fifa games because they have sprint.

lolseewhatididthere

Alright, I'm going to bed before I make any more stupid posts.

edit: actually on a serious note is FIFA enjoyable if you don't like soccer/football? I don't have an appreciation for the sport, but I hear so many good things about each new game. I've thought about giving it a try but have avoided it for that reason.

A few of the controllers with transforming pads have had issues that I felt. Squeaky triggers, drifting sticks and creaking plastic.

Wow mine has all those problems, and I've never even dropped the thing. That was a waste of $60 considering it starting acting up 6 months after I bought it.

That is another thing jetpack is the only AA maps have to be designed around that in it self is enough for it to be removed.
ibrNlNPVT9s3E1.jpg

"For every advantage there's a disadvantage." A negative and a positive do not necessarily equal to a negation. Angles of head hit boxes is a simple one. The fastest non-splash damage kill in Halo is the headshot. While going up, the players on the ground have a much harder angle to get a headshot, while the jetpacking player has a much easier headshot.
So running away from a fight while looking down, a technique I see often, is as bad as a jetpack?

When a map is made, it is made with certain routes for the player, the Jetpack abuses all of that.
Not when you incorporate the jetpack into your design. You're applying pre-Reach thinking and conclusions here. Reach had jetpacks but the maps weren't designed well for them - Halo 4 is a different story. You can no longer define player flow strictly through older map design concepts. Hell, flow itself is a different beast in Halo 4.

Computer

"For every advantage there's a disadvantage." A negative and a positive do not necessarily equal to a negation. Angles of head hit boxes is a simple one. The fastest non-splash damage kill in Halo is the headshot. While going up, the players on the ground have a much harder angle to get a headshot, while the jetpacking player has a much easier headshot. When a map is made, it is made with certain routes for the player, the Jetpack abuses all of that. Look at Ivory Tower and Reflection. One has jetpacks and one doesn't. Which one do you suppose had more intentional flow? Which one had predictable player movements.

I can say it a bunch of times across many different types of posts, but a player that predicts an action and capitalizes on that prediction feels far more rewarded than when it is unpredictable. That can apply to both AI and multiplayer combat. The Jetpack provides an unpredictable way for a player to reach a certain destination. You can look at all of the abilities that people dislike and the common thing you're going to find about them is how predictable it was to the player.

Exactly lets say I am on Abandon I am trying to hold down top ring. I know all the routes the enemy can attack me from but it does me no good. A player can jetpack over any part of the wall and get easy angle head shots on me before I even locate them. The I feel cheated.

ibrNlNPVT9s3E1.jpg

So running away from a fight while looking down, a technique I see often, is as bad as a jetpack?

Not when you incorporate the jetpack into your design. You're applying pre-Reach thinking and conclusions here. Reach had jetpacks but the maps weren't designed well for them - Halo 4 is a different story. You can no longer define player flow strictly through older map design concepts. Hell, flow itself is a different beast in Halo 4.

Maps should never take a back seat to a armor ability. If the AA affect's the game so much they need to change maps in order for it to work then it should not be in the game.

Exactly lets say I am on Abandon I am trying to hold down top ring. I know all the routes the enemy can attack me from but it does me no good. A player can jetpack over any part of the wall and get easy angle head shots on me before I even locate them. The I feel cheated.
Why do you feel cheated? That's a jetpack route to ring 4, by design. Are players just supposed to run directly into an ambush in there or rely upon grenade spam? If you're in ring 3 you just have to presume that a jetpack user can get up there - where there's also high visibility and no cover.

If there was a skill jump to the same area (which there are), you'd have the same issue.

Maps should never take a back seat to a armor ability. If the AA affect's the game so much they need to change maps in order for it to work then it should not be in the game.
Maps need to be designed to incorporate the entire sandbox, don't they? Player speed, sprint, jump distance, vehicles, encounter spaces for different weapons, and yes, AAs.

In short: This is a different game - it needs different map considerations.

Madness

And I was lurking when those discussions took place... I've been lurking HaloGAF before the launch of halo 3. I didn't have an account for so long, until I got a new isp and felt comfortable signing up.

Just because you had these discussions before us because we didn't have accounts then, means we can't have them now? another main reason I joined is because so many long time haloGAF users have stopped posting and these were people I've played against.

I'd rather read a thousand similar opinions on halo features in the halo ot threads than talk about fifa or insult users and get banned.

Korosenai

And I was lurking when those discussions took place... I've been lurking HaloGAF before the launch of halo 3. I didn't have an account for so long, until I got a new isp and felt comfortable signing up.

Just because you had these discussions before us because we didn't have accounts then, means we can't have them now? another main reason I joined is because so many long time haloGAF users have stopped posting and these were people I've played against.

I'd rather read a thousand similar opinions on halo features in the halo ot threads than talk about fifa or insult users and get banned.

It's Heckfu the junior killer, would be best to just walk away now (ex. you already fell for the trap).

Top Bottom