• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

When I play Halo 4 I don't even care if I win and its a weird feeling. I have resorted to just focusing on my own KD witch is selfish but there is nothing about Halo that make me feel competitive about winning.

That's exactly how I feel playing the game...I don't care at all about winning vs. losing, unless the team is pulling some really dumb crap, but outside of that, I don't care. I just want to play well, personally - have good stats, good KD. I don't care about the outcome, it just doesn't matter.

Previously, I wanted to win every game, no matter what. Some games, my heart was just racing...I was so addicted, I just wanted to keep playing. It was intense, but also fun. Those crazy, intense games back in the day just lead to some awesome moments with my friends. For me, Halo 4 started out as mindless fun for a bit, but now it's just dull and irritating.

BTW, regarding the first map pack. My friends I play with aren't competitive at all. You could argue that they're not very good at the game, either. They don't know anything about map design, map control, strategy, weapon balance, all that stuff people on forums like to discuss, they just casually play the game.

I found it amusing last time Wreckage came up. Even these guys who don't focus on the way maps are designed were like, 'GOD, what is with that SUN!' I can't see!'

I know people like to argue that whoever designs their least favorite maps doesn't know anything about making a good, competitive halo map, but it's bizarre things like that make it through 'testing.' I mean, it's one thing to not make a map that's well balanced at times, not every map is going to be deemed amazing, but some things you just gotta scratch your head and ask, 'how did someone think this was fine to have on this map?'

Computer

BTW, regarding the first map pack. My friends I play with aren't competitive at all. You could argue that they're not very good at the game, either. They don't know anything about map design, map control, strategy, weapon balance, all that stuff people on forums like to discuss, they just casually play the game.

I found it amusing last time Wreckage came up. Even these guys who don't focus on the way maps are designed were like, 'GOD, what is with that SUN!' I can't see!'

I know people like to argue that whoever designs their least favorite maps doesn't know anything about making a good, competitive halo map, but it's bizarre things like that make it through 'testing.' I mean, it's one thing to not make a map that's well balanced at times, not every map is going to be deemed amazing, but some things you just gotta scratch your head and ask, 'how did someone think this was fine to have on this map?'

I would say its because they outsource everything even maps. When the company they paid all kinds of money too gives them a shit map they don't have the balls or don't give a shit to say hey this map fucking sucks wtf. Instead they say lets cash in on this DLC before everyone bails ship it!

GrizzNKev

Banned

lol what does 343 not understand.

people are going to cheat no matter what the system is. people modded their xbox just so they could be headless in swat, and guess what? no skill ranks. just trying to protect the shitty players who get offended when someone tells them they suck because they're a level 12.

Fracas

#fuckonami
So an orange and black box with 4-5 characters in it cannot be displayed in-game. Instead, you have to sign into a website that occasionally doesn't even function, then find your ranking that is only viewable on said site.

Disappointing, but not really surprising. But still, this is somehow lamer than BPR.

GrizzNKev

Banned
lol what does 343 not understand.

people are going to cheat no matter what the system is. people modded their xbox just so they could be headless in swat, and guess what? no skill ranks. just trying to protect the shitty players who get offended when someone tells them they suck because they're a level 12.

Think about this.

Think for a second.

In Halo 4 you aren't shown the scoreboard when you die.

You have to open it up yourself.

Why is this?

You already answered that question.

In Halo 4 the post-game scoreboard doesn't say which team won.

No MVP. No top medals.

Think about that.

Think.

Old-Steve-Jobs-Photo.jpg

They do understand. They just don't give a shit.

They didn't make the game for people who want to do well.

Personal Ordnance.

"Kill" is a medal.

+15 HEADCASE

We wouldn't want to let anyone know they're not good.

Ken

So an orange and black box with 4-5 characters in it cannot be displayed in-game. Instead, you have to sign into a website that occasionally doesn't even function, then find your ranking that is only viewable on said site.

Disappointing, but not really surprising. But still, this is somehow lamer than BPR.

What were you expecting.

Called it, your high CSR would be displayed next to your spartan pictures. Now lets see if individual CSR's display when you click War Games and look at the playlist pop charts.

Either way, super fuckin lame. We need it in game on certain playlists.

Omni

Meh, I'm indifferent about it.

Is there a stats app or anything for iOS? They had one for Reach, didn't they?

Meh, I'm indifferent about it.

Is there a stats app or anything for iOS? They had one for Reach, didn't they?

They have not updated any of their native mobile apps for Halo 4 (WP, iOS, or Android). The web app works on mobile, although it's even more of a bitch to navigate than on a normal display.

Tzeentch

Ok I thought this was pretty damn funny (no, I don't care about CSR):

Waypoint Poster: [W]hy are the CSR rankings "starting fresh" in April instead of representing our cumulative efforts since November 6th?
BSAngel: We want to start every player fresh so they can experience the journey.

Adequacy, I guess? This was clearly an afterthought. I appreciate that they're trying, but it's too little and too late.

This was an afterthought as a result of the disappointment over no ranks. We knew from the very beginning they couldn't get it in game. You know what you should have expected given Halo 4? Fuck all support for ranks. This is just above nothing :p

Omni

They have not updated any of their native mobile apps for Halo 4 (WP, iOS, or Android). The web app works on mobile, although it's even more of a bitch to navigate than on a normal display.
Ahh, okay :\

Waypoint Poster: [W]hy are the CSR rankings "starting fresh" in April instead of representing our cumulative efforts since November 6th?
BSAngel: We want to start every player fresh so they can experience the journey.*

*Continued: We feel part of the rank experience is starting at 1 and feeling the sense of accomplishment when ranking up.

Which is true, isn't it?

Fracas

#fuckonami
This was an afterthought as a result of the disappointment over no ranks. We knew from the very beginning they couldn't get it in game. You know what you should have expected given Halo 4? Fuck all support for ranks. This is just above nothing :p

I hoped, man! Forge playlist gave me a bit of confidence. Then this and the Infinity scourge permeating objective playlists took it away. Confirmation of no campaign/SpOps theatre was just the icing on the "crush fracas's dreams" cake.

There is one thing that is becoming clear. 343i is totally full of shit. The most info we got about the game is when it leaked. They are dishonest and let me tell you, a lot of us "purists" bought that game. Most of us bought that stupid map pass.

A lot of us will NOT due so again if we keep getting shit on like this. I don't care if its Halo, if its a bad game I will not buy it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ughhh that's not good enough mang. I mean, yea I'll sit there refreshing Waypoint to see if I leveled up but it shouldn't be like that.

BSAngel: We want to start every player fresh so they can experience the journey.

I don't see the problem with this.

Defect

343 giving terrible reasons again. What a surprise.

Why don't they ATLEAST let us see our own CSR ingame? Nobody wants to attempt to log in to that buggy site.

343 giving terrible reasons again. What a surprise.

Why don't they ATLEAST let us see our own CSR ingame? Nobody wants to attempt to log in to that buggy site.

Its starting to be just PR answers. I agree, let Frankie come in here and tell us what is going on. They know EXACTLY what they are and are NOT doing going forward. We already bought the game. Be upfront because I know if I know the dev is lying to me I will not buy the game again and I bought the console, the LE and all the figures for my kid.

Madness

I don't understand this not wanting people to boost rank? Who cares if someone is boosting to get to 50?It only affects you in the fact that you might be paired with them because of their boosted rank.

In Halo Reach and Halo 4, people still boosted because let's face it, anytime you have any progression system, someone wants to take the easy way out.

But without ranks in Reach and Halo 4, the number of assholes nearly quintupled. Not only did it not matter if you won or lost, but with no ranks, people just didn't care. People would betray for sniper, banshee, wraith, rockets etc. In Halo 4, people are still boosting, perhaps more than ever. I haven't played a normal game without an idler for a long time, they don't get booted. Whether it's spartan ops or war games.

And in Halo 4, boosting probably ruins the game more than others because people can get perks you can't to make them better. So while you're stuck trying to get the no flinch perk from rogue, boosters have already got all the specializations, unlocked every gun, armor ability etc.

When you have ranks, it means something. Why would someone destroy your tank because you got it first if it means the other team might win now and you'd go down in rank? People wouldn't risk it.

People like to conveniently bring up the boosters and cheaters in Halo 2, but they forget it was one of the earliest live titles and that if you played any pc game at the time, you'd see the same boosting, cheating and hacking. It happens to every game. Just look at halo 4, there are so many videos showing the crap people are doing.

Ghazi

Someone on Waypoint said this in a thread saying that CSR should be visible in-game, smh

No it doenst. Its fine the way they have it planned. Id rather their way then having to hear gamers scream and shot at one another because of their rank. That killed Halo 3 for me.

Omni

Someone on Waypoint said this in a thread saying that CSR should be visible in-game, smh

And?

I totally understand where he's coming from. As someone who got to Colonel grade 2 in that game, I got a hell of a lot of abuse. Quite frankly, I grew tired of it fast. People took ranks far too seriously.

B.net got another update for any of you who care :)

Oooh, they made a dark theme. Awesome stuff.

J10

Banned
It takes two seconds to mute someone in the pregame lobby. Who gives a fuck if you're being shouted at because of your meaningless rank.

And?

I totally understand where he's coming from. As someone who got to Colonel grade 2 in that game, I got a hell of a lot of abuse. Quite frankly, I grew tired of it fast. People took ranks far too seriously.

Colonel Grade 2? Yea maybe you should stop sucking and you'd stop getting yelled at. Get outta my Halo!

Redford

aka Cabbie

Yeah, if one'd ever quickly glanced at the Bnet forums circa 2008, that will give you all the explanation for why the game's competitive aspect is the way it is. This game is the product of three years of that whining and crying from those players. Ranking-wise, this game isn't catering to casuals so much as it's catering to that specific group of sub-colonel gold-bars from Optimatch.

Top Bottom