• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Ghazi

Certainly nothing wrong with that. Guess if anyone from Halogaf wants to add me send me a friend request in Miiverse. That's the easy way to add people.

If you go in you can search for a name and then send them a friend request. They then get a notice. If you go through the friends list option they never get it because that's the old fashioned way of each of you adding each other.

Names the same as on 360 and here.

Sweet! Looks like you'll be my first and (probably) only friend in Miiverse.

Duji

No, I "rip" on posters who post dumb stuff. He literally, in his one comment, "ripped" on two commentators in this thread.

So long as he didn't add salt to his post, it's totally fair game. He simply stated that he doesn't enjoy the MLG commentating. And this is automatically deemed as a dumb post by you solely because there happens to be two MLG commentators in this thread? You are assuming that u4iX and whoever else are overly sensitive and cry upon hearing some very basic criticism. u4iX probably welcomes it. Yet you think being critical in this sense is the equivalent of being a "douche". How much more naive can one get?

I'll come out and say right now that I thought u4ix's commentating was alright. He certainly had his funny moments with his puns and all -- I'll give him that. Given MLG's budget, it was probably good enough. For the record, I do enjoy reading his posts on this forum and hold nothing against him.

So long as he didn't add salt to his post, it's totally fair game. He simply stated that he doesn't enjoy the MLG commentating. And this is automatically deemed as a dumb post by you solely because there happens to be two MLG commentators in this thread? You are assuming that u4iX and whoever else are overly sensitive and cry upon hearing some very basic criticism. u4iX probably welcomes it. Yet you think being critical in this sense is the equivalent of being a "douche". How much more naive can one get?

I'll come out and say right now that I thought u4ix's commentating was alright. He certainly had his funny moments with his puns and all -- I'll give him that. For the record, I do enjoy reading his posts on this forum and hold nothing against him.

It's ok. He made love to Halo 4 nightly for a while. It's just Frank's turn.

<3 my fellow beardman

We all have holes to fill in our life.

lkrrQt3.gif

GLASSMAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNN

do you honestly need me to explain to you why the production quality of an NFL game is better than a streaming MLG Halo tournament?

No, I don't need you to explain to me that the reason professional sports commentators are better than MLG's commentators is because they are indeed professional sports commentators who have done far, far more to qualify themselves for the role of announcer or commentator than even the most accomplished of eSports announcers/commentators. Run-on. Your post was vague and I know I don't need to explain to you why it was vague.

Why would I not compare MLG's staff to benchmarks set by other leagues? If a writer never gets anything published, is it illogical to compare them to people like Stephen King in order to provide perspective?

I don't think I've seen anyone's posts match their avatar so well.

tumblr_m931h1rpEL1qaybv9o1_250.gif

why shouldn't we hold Blackzilla is Splittin That Shitter 2's cinematography to that of The Shining?

We do. You drawing that comparison as one-sided is testament to that.

TIL that commentators with 30 years of experience are better than a guy just out of college with a webcam.

Precisely. Despite your sarcasm, that really is my point. They're very inexperienced. Saying that they're "good for their level of experience" is one thing, but jumping down my throat because myself and others believe they could be, should be, and hopefully want to be better is ignorant. And so when one says Walshy's a good commentator, the "for his level of experience" portion is not implied.

Aggrotek

I don't think I've seen anyone's posts match their avatar so well.

No, I don't need you to explain to me that the reason professional sports commentators are better than MLG's commentators is because they are indeed professional sports commentators who have done far, far more to qualify themselves for the role of announcer or commentator than even the most accomplished of eSports announcers/commentators. Run-on. Your post was vague and I know I don't need to explain to you why it was vague.

Why would I not compare MLG's staff to benchmarks set by other leagues? If a writer never gets anything published, is it illogical to compare them to people like Stephen King in order to provide perspective?

tumblr_m931h1rpEL1qaybv9o1_250.gif

image.php

Point proven. Thanks. :)

CyReN

TIL that commentators with 30 years of experience are better than a guy just out of college with a webcam.

I would assume that it's a Major Boltshot kind of like the two Sentinel Beams in Halo 2. Probably belongs to a cut enemy.

Also, I'm stoked that we're getting a completely unique area for our final mission. Hopefully it's something special.

Akai__

My professor would kill me, if I would write a program and would left redudant code in it. It's bad programing style. I don't know, how much space these cut out weapons or AA's are taking up, but it's like they did it on purpose.

You can't tell me, that experienced programers are making such beginners mistakes...

My professor would kill me, if I would write a program and would left redudant code in it. It's bad programing style. I don't know, how much space these cut out weapons or AA's are taking up, but it's like they did it on purpose.

You can't tell me, that experienced programers are making such beginners mistakes...

I would have a sandboxgasm if all these cut weapons are really just an ARG and 343's way of saying "We didn't get it done for 4, but better luck next game, eh? -wink wink-"

Gui_PT

I don't think it's fair to compare the scale of school software to a project this size.

They make something that they think will make it into the game but it gets to a point that so many assets or code blocks are used/shared that if something does end up being cut, they wouldn't dare to simply delete it.

Akai__

I would have a sandboxgasm if all these cut weapons are really just an ARG and 343's way of saying "We didn't get it done for 4, but better luck next game, eh? -wink wink-"

I don't think, they are allowed to support the modding community, but I could be wrong.

It would be indeed awesome, but I'm very worried of what is comming next to Halo. We really don't need 10 other 1 hit kill weapons, for example.

Edit:
I don't think it's fair to compare the scale of school software to a project this size.

They make something that they think will make it into the game but it gets to a point that so many assets or code blocks are used/shared that if something does end up being cut, they wouldn't dare to simply delete it.

Why not? If you don't want something to be in your program/game, then it would be better to remove it. Saves up space and it keeps the code cleaner. But that's only my opinion.

I don't even know, how game development works, but I bet it's very complex and things like that, doesn't matter that much.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm a bit late with this but wow I didn't expect Spartan Ops episode 6 to be so good. A LOT of improvements have been made, that are very noticeable:

- More visual flourishes and the feeling that your in a dynamic combat space rather than "oh god not this place again" (this may just be down to new locales)
- Fat trimmed from the endless waves of enemies they'd throw at you, thus also resulting in less ammo issues
- More ammo caches, mission design explicitly catering towards the general ammo/checkpoint issue that plagues the engine
- Encounters are generally better and well chosen rather than "okay let's throw as many of this enemy as we can at you"
- Some great setpieces
- Creative new uses of perspective, especially with the start of that first episode
- More varied, sandboxy environments in general, giving you multiple options for how to attack encounters/objectives, particularly noticeable on the night stage and the one where you can assassinate grunts
- Writing is a TON better, a lot of in-jokes and more focused dialogue now that the story i s progressing

I'm probably missing a lot from when I played it a day ago cause I'm getting pretty sick, but I see the change and I see the progress, next we'll have to see if they do anything about spawns and how modular these new levels actually are.

Is it just me or did Palmer... actually say something remotely funny this week?

Miller said something about scanning results indicating the Covenant were doing an archeological dig, and she goes

"We have got to find these guys a new hobby."

Anyone? Anyone?

Miller said something about scanning results indicating the Covenant were doing an archeological dig, and she goes

Anyone? Anyone?
Yea, and I'm pretty sure that not a single mention of the word egghead was muttered. Hopefully better characterization continues throughout the season.

Fuchsdh

Anyone? Anyone?

Spartan Ops is sort of at its best when they actually poke fun at themselves.

Even though the commentary can be better, it's pretty good coverage of the event. If 343 could support and give them much needed attention, this can become a huge thing. The maps are great, the gametypes play well, and they're trying out new things like Extraction, it's nice. Now all we need is 343 to support their maps and gametypes in playlists so more people can get interested. Making the Halo experience different from MM and competitive gaming is never good.

Top Bottom