• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

"You are the tentacle."

Kaz5bA9.jpg

Done.

You know we are going to have to play the SHIT out of this and promote it everywhere. The noobz won't go near it. The Halo we want will depend on supporting this.

Either that is without jip we are going to be sitting in that lobby a long time.

Tell your friends, mic up and play real Halo.

With mics, so like, I can hear you.

Any chance of "Ht X to party up" returning?

senador

Banned
Just saw competitive playlist settings...

Nuoh my god!

That'll suck me back in. I expect Halo 4 to play pretty damn awesome with those settings.

/me goes back to Starcraft 2.

I really hate the way 343 has handled and discussed ranks. It's as if people boosting and deranking was a massive widespread problem ruining Halo 3 for everyone. It wasn't. I think the only people who have a problem with ranks, are the people who like to spend lots of time gaming/reading sites like GAF, but just aren't good enough at the game. I've never once heard any of my friends or anyone else I'd call a casual gamer complain about competitive ranks, it's kids like the ones on Waypoint and Bungie.net who got stuck at Staff Captain who complain. Who cares that Jimmy is only a 19 when his best friend Billy is a 50 and he feels bad about? Jimmy needs to grow a pair and get better.

I feel like the current mentality of making everyone feel good about themselves was a huge part of how 343 designed the multiplayer. "Oh, your aim sucks? Here's 5 points for a distraction!" There's no legitimate reason to not show ranks in the game besides not wanting kids to feel bad.

Also. before anyone says something about me being one of those MLG only kids, I don't even play MLG, I was only a 43 in Halo 3. But as someone who has been playing shooters since the early days of online FPSs, I know that shooters were far more fun when it was about competition. Not unlocking a bunch of stuff and getting a pat on the back for trying hard. That mentality is part of what made Halo 4 the disappointment that it is.

J10

Banned
I really hate the way 343 has handled and discussed ranks. It's as if people boosting and deranking was a massive widespread problem ruining Halo 3 for everyone. It wasn't. I think the only people who have a problem with ranks, are the people who like to spend lots of time gaming/reading sites like GAF, but just aren't good enough at the game. I've never once heard any of my friends or anyone else I'd call a casual gamer complain about competitive ranks, it's kids like the ones on Waypoint and Bungie.net who got stuck at Staff Captain who complain. Who cares that Jimmy is only a 19 when his best friend Billy is a 50 and he feels bad about? Jimmy needs to grow a pair and get better.

I feel like the current mentality of making everyone feel good about themselves was a huge part of how 343 designed the multiplayer. "Oh, your aim sucks? Here's 5 points for a distraction!" There's no legitimate reason to not show ranks in the game besides not wanting kids to feel bad.

Also. before anyone says something about me being one of those MLG only kids, I don't even play MLG, I was only a 43 in Halo 3. But as someone who has been playing shooters since the early days of online FPSs, I know that shooters were far more fun when it was about competition. Not unlocking a bunch of stuff and getting a pat on the back for trying hard. That mentality is part of what made Halo 4 the disappointment that it is.

Pretentious, dismissive, and condescending.

Could this be the first time that gametype settings are added into the UI with a title update instead of requiring us to hunt the variant out of matchmaking?

itshappening.gif

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Bravo playing games, reading Waypoint forums, and his beast setup at 343.

http://i.imgur.com/52j3lBb.png[img]

Also in case anyone missed that earlier on, TU will allow instant respawn to be disabled.[/QUOTE]
That's Bravo trying his hardest to kill me

Havok

Playlist settings sound pretty good at first glance. I guess I'm worried about how they'll be presenting and promoting it more than anything - you cannot name it something intimidating like Team Hardcore and expect to pull a decent population away from the other lists. Something vanilla-sounding like Team Skirmish would fare better, I think.

I hope it does well, because I think those settings should be closer to the norm, not a singular separated playlist. I feel like gametypes in a multiplayer game that are explicitly referred to as competitive shouldn't be a special thing that needs to be added in later or sought after in a specific place, they should be the baseline and the wacky new stuff should be filler and/or treated like competitive is now - limited placement. Let guests partake in that stuff, treat it like Team Training and Action Sack and Social Slayer had a hideous three-armed mutant baby. Part of that is my dislike of specific elements of the updated objective and Infinity variants, I guess. I don't mean to marginalize the vision of the multiplayer team or anything, but I don't think they built the same sort of solid base that vanilla gametypes were before the new default became Infinity/Waypoint X.

Also, I hope that Slayer has an appropriate weighting in the playlist, because if it's anything like the Forge list objectives will be tough to force the vote to. Hopefully it's Slayer/non-waypoint CTF/Extraction 2.0/KOTH/Ball, since they didn't mention the last two in the post.

Having said that, I'm more optimistic for the future of this game than I have been in a very long time. I think it was the Global Ordnance/PV announcement in the May GI that started the spiral.
The location of drops in Global Ordnance is random, the timers are not. It's every 2 minutes in standard matchmaking.

I'll bet my left nut that Global Ordnance as we know it will not be in this competitive playlist.

Also, hope you guys hate radar as much as I do, because that shit has no place in a competitive playlist.

I'm sure that you'll be able to predict where weapons will be spawning, even if it means that a weapon spawns at point A and then later spawns at point B. Since they're on timers, you'll know that, for example, once you pick sniper up at point A it will spawn at point B in X amount of time.

Maybe I'm wrong on that, but that's what I assumed when I read it. I'm no expert on how ordnance currently works in Halo 4, I only know what I've observed (and I'm sure my observations aren't 100% perfect).

Also while I don't hate Radar, I'm not against it being taken out for this playlist.
I'm really late on this, but the specific language they're using ("Ordnance on re-supply timers") suggests that it'll just be Initial Ordnance using the Resupply Time parameter, similar to how Despair currently works. Doesn't sound like Global Ordnance is going to be seen at all, which is great news. That specifically needs to go game-wide.

The issue I see is in the way that initial ordnance resupplies function. It doesn't take into account whether or not the item is still in play, it'll respawn a new one when the time comes no matter what, which requires long respawn times in order to work well, which most maps just don't take into account.

So... targeted for April?

Here:
This playlist will launch before CSR (mid-February) and we envision it as both the go-to place for competitive play and the premier playlist to get your 50 in. We’ve been paying close attention to the competitive community’s settings while building this playlist, and will continue to do so both pre- and post-playlist launch. We will share the first outline of the settings next week to collect community feedback and perfect the competitive playlist before going live. The name of this playlist is still TBD - please feel free to give us suggestions.

Computron

Sandtrap sniper ridge. (the one outside the map on the big dune)

Sitting in the passenger seat of the warthog I drove to get up there.

Overlooking the ruined phantom on the other side of the map. Great view.

Fire a chance shot at a warthog just in front of the ruins. (No scope, obviously)

Score a headshot on their passenger.
KuGsj.gif

Duji

The whole idea of decreasing the incentive for cheaters to cheat by making the rank display on Waypoint is a completely backwards and hopeless way to approach the issue.

TheOddOne and I already came up with a solution like 20 years ago: League of Legends ranking system.

Moa

Overlooking the ruined scarab on the other side of the map. Great view.

Fire a chance shot at a warthog in front of the ruins. (No scope, obviously)

KuGsj.gif

Scarab on Sandtrap?

wut

IHaveIce

Banned

Overlooking the ruined scarab on the other side of the map. Great view.

Fire a chance shot at a warthog in front of the ruins. (No scope, obviously)

KuGsj.gif

ruined phantom right?

Ryaaan14

Banned
The whole idea of decreasing the incentive for cheaters to cheat by making the rank display on Waypoint is a completely backwards and hopeless way to approach the issue.

That's a spin, son. No one really believes that's why they're doing it, right? They are probably being forced into some sort of cross-promotion with SmartGlass or perhaps don't even have the ability to shoehorn a rank into the in-game UI.

That's a spin, son. No one really believes that's why they're doing it, right? They are probably being forced into some sort of cross-promotion with SmartGlass or perhaps don't even have the ability to shoehorn a rank into the in-game UI.

Duji

I literally just said what Frank said was a spin. I wasn't calling the whole thing made up.

Okay I see, my bad.

And I totally don't buy the idea that they can't shoehorn the rank into the game's UI. How hard can it be to release a TU that shows a number next to peoples' names? We're dealing with the industry's very best here. The truth is they simply don't want to.

off topic: I'm using Halo Waypoint on my android phone and I'm unable to access my Halo 4 stats. It's just giving me Reach stats. It also appears that this is the latest version. Is it just me?

Overdoziz

Banned
Wait, you honestly believe this crap?

Omni

First game of the night and I join game of CTF where score is 4-1, and my team is losing. Enemy had flag and was about to score. I think "Oh okay... pretty unlucky but whatever"

Second game is another JiP and the game literally ends when I join. My team lost. Didn't even get to spawn. What the fuck.

Third game and now I have four AFK players on my team. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. I'm done.

Fourth game... I'm getting spawn killed on Complex with only one other team mate.

This is some shitty luck tonight. Time to play some Halo 3 I think.

Duji

First game of the night and I join game of CTF where score is 4-1, and my team is losing. Enemy had flag and was about to score. I think "Oh okay... pretty unlucky but whatever"

Second game is another JiP and the game literally ends when I join. My team lost. Didn't even get to spawn. What the fuck.

Third game and now I have four AFK players on my team. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. I'm done.

Fourth game... I'm getting spawn killed on Complex with only one other team mate.

This is some shitty luck tonight. Time to play some Halo 3 I think.

Haven't they said numerous times that H4 will never join a game in progress last minute? That wasn't even stretching the truth. I mean, if that's what they intended and there is some sort of bug causing people to join late, at least tell us.

Karl2177

Haven't they said numerous times that H4 will never join a game in progress last minute? That wasn't even stretching the truth. I mean, if that's what they intended and there is some sort of bug causing people to join late, at least tell us.

Since that one patch, I've never joined a game with less than a minute left on the clock. That being said, I don't think there's any kind of score detection, so then the system could say "This game is about to finish, let's wait until it's over to send a new player in". Might have something to do with Megalo(assuming it's still there) and the way scoring works with that.

Been asking about JIP for a bit now, but I see there is no real answer to how no-JIP matches are competitive. The best answer so far is to run as a team. Well, of course, that's the best case scenario. But what happens when somebody gets dropped? What happens when some players quit?

If the game doesn't end on the spot its not competitive, period. So you're stuck in a game, with a lack of teammates, and you're being scored. I really don't see how that's a better situation than the game seeking players to drop into your match to help you out.

In terms of competitive ranking, both situations suck, and neither is the best measurement of skill. In terms of enjoyment, it'd seem the least of two evils to include JIP.

And I think whats gets to me the most is people who seek to quit at the first sign of a game mode or map they didn't individually vote for, but who are the first to gripe about JIP ruining things.

Been asking about JIP for a bit now, but I see there is no real answer to how no-JIP matches are competitive. The best answer so far is to run as a team. Well, of course, that's the best case scenario. But what happens when somebody gets dropped? What happens when some players quit?

If the game doesn't end on the spot its not competitive, period. So you're stuck in a game, with a lack of teammates, and you're being scored. I really don't see how that's a better situation than the game seeking players to drop into your match to help you out.

In terms of competitive ranking, both situations suck, and neither is the best measurement of skill. In terms of enjoyment, it'd seem the least of two evils to include JIP.

And I think whats gets to me the most is people who seek to quit at the first sign of a game mode or map they didn't individually vote for, but who are the first to gripe about JIP ruining things.

They should consider setting up JIP like a private match by only allowing game invites from people in the game, so that way when people on your team get booted you can just invite them back or whoever else into the game.

Thinking about it, that's actually not a bad idea at all.

Side Thought:

I wonder if Halo 4 will finally be the breaking point for this franchise. Hopefully it "reboots" (for a lack of a better word) with the 720.

One thing I'm excited for is how this franchise will be handled going forward with new tech and more frequent Halo experiences.

IHaveIce

Banned
Yep. And you'll see why after people start exploiting CSR just like the H3 system.

Every Rank System gets abused.

The easier solution would be to detect and ban cheaters.

They should consider setting up JIP like a private match by only allowing game invites from people in the game, so that way when people on your team get booted you can just invite them back or whoever else into the game.

Nope. People could plan stuff. So I will make a team of 4 people, the other 3 are let's say 15s and I'm a 30. I will now tell them to leave the game and invite some of my better friends and we will play against players who were matched up against the 15s.

JiP can't work with it. Of course a replacement would be sometimes neat, but I dont want to be the replacement for others.

I like that idea quite a bit.

Isn't that already the case though? If I'm queued up and waiting on a friend's party to finish their game, won't I get thrown into my party's match if other players drop out? I've seen that happen, where a waiting friend gets thrown on the opposing team when a slot opened up.

Maybe its already set up that way?

Top Bottom