• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

I like that idea quite a bit.

Isn't that already the case though? If I'm queued up and waiting on a friend's party to finish their game, won't I get thrown in if other players drop out? I've seen that happen, where a waiting friend gets thrown on the opposing team when a slot opened up.

Maybe its already set up that way?

Exclusively though, especially if you're already in a party going into that game. A friend gets disconnected, that spot gets saved for a minute or indefinitely (whichever works better), and they rejoin.

Every Rank System gets abused.

The easier solution would be to detect and ban cheaters.

Nope. People could plan stuff. So I will make a team of 4 people, the other 3 are let's say 15s and I'm a 30. I will now tell them to leave the game and invite some of my better friends and we will play against players who were matched up against the 15s.

JiP can't work with it. Of course a replacement would be sometimes neat, but I dont want to be the replacement for others.

Good point but you're describing a system with ranks that people care about.

Madness

Yep. And you'll see why after people start exploiting CSR just like the H3 system.

Who gives a crap? People exploit the hell out of non ranked systems. It means the rest of us should suffer because some jerks like to boost ranks?

Look how much boosting is going on in Halo 4, look how much went on in Reach.

People like to make it a big deal when it isn't. People will always boost, they always have. You'd be naive to think it was exclusive to Halo. Look how much people boost prestige ranks in call of duty etc.

But ranks help the rest of us. I'm not juices. I would be considered a BK now because I'm not as good as I was during the halo 2 days. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see some sort of progression based on skill and not how long I could grind.

malfcn

What?
Frank--Autistic-Baby-Face--O-Connor

Frank O'Connor is most definitely an autistic baby face, he clearly has no idea what to do with the Halo franchise, but he is willing to soak in the fame... calling it "the best halo ever" I strongly disagree, what you have given us is a game with a multiplayer that was fun for two weeks, a forgettable campaign, and a co-op that wasn't even ready for launch, I am ashamed to play a game that is clearly down the path of call of duty. Bungie would have done an infinitely better job. Who the hell put this down syndrome mother -Yoink!- at the helm???

heckfu

Banned
People like to make it a big deal when it isn't. People will always boost, they always have. You'd be naive to think it was exclusive to Halo. Look how much people boost prestige ranks in call of duty etc.

But ranks help the rest of us. I'm not juices. I would be considered a BK now because I'm not as good as I was during the halo 2 days. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see some sort of progression based on skill and not how long I could grind.

This is the best post a new guy has ever made.

I welcome you warmly to HaloGAF. Take your shoes off and stay a while.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Who gives a crap? People exploit the hell out of non ranked systems. It means the rest of us should suffer because some jerks like to boost ranks?

I...agree with you...

...you realize this, right?

Duji

People like to make it a big deal when it isn't. People will always boost, they always have. You'd be naive to think it was exclusive to Halo.
League of Legends, my friend. You can't boost in League of Legends because your rank is based on the party you're going in with when it comes to team games -- not the individual's rank. Think about it. It's the reason why Lone Wolves was the one playlist that you couldn't really boost in.

Madness

I...agree with you...

...you realize this, right?

Oh I'm sorry, I must have read the post wrong. I thought you meant we'd see why ranks were removed after people start boosting the new csr etc. and that the removal of ranks is justified when it's not.

Also, I humbly accept the invite Dr. Heckathorn...

BravoHalo

Bravo playing games, reading Waypoint forums, and his beast setup at 343.

http://i.imgur.com/52j3lBb.png[img]

Also in case anyone missed that earlier on, TU will allow instant respawn to be disabled.[/QUOTE]

That's not even half of my desk :)

Pumped about upcoming stuff.

Nebula

I wasn't even big on Ranked in Halo 3 and thought the whole thing was silly... Until I began to play it. It was great progressing, then slowing down and coming to that so called wall most players would hit. For me that wall was level 41. I got my colonel and my 40 in LW and was extremely happy because I knew I worked my ass to get there and it was one hell of a journey. I still had 10 levels to go!

Eventually I passed through the wall and hit 45. So much better than the feeling I got when I hit 40. SOOOO MUCH BETTER! It wasn't enough though. I knew there was more levels, and I felt that I could get them. It took me another year to hit 50 from there, getting a 48 in Team Slayer before giving up and getting the 50 in Team Swat instead. Felt fantastic at the time but now I look back I wish I had pushed the 50 in Team Slayer.

I'd love to have this experience again. It's a gold mine for 343i as well. It can get people like me hooked again.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Here's a little video of a map I've been working on if anyone is interested. I'm looking to get some testing done on it in the next few days if anyone is keen? At the moment I'm not to sure on the weapon and power-up placements. e.g. OS spawning at one of the hill locations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLuaV0quY5E

Looks nice. Can you PM me details on where to download please (aka your gamertag)? Make sure you PM me so I can find it easily tomorrow when I download it.

What have you played on it? 4v4? Looks like 4v4. Have you played Doubles on it? Maybe too big for 2v2?

Nebula

Here's a little video of a map I've been working on if anyone is interested. I'm looking to get some testing done on it in the next few days if anyone is keen? At the moment I'm not to sure on the weapon and power-up placements. e.g. OS spawning at one of the hill locations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLuaV0quY5E

I'd be up for any testing, and if you have yet to do so, get this over to blueprint. They have some resources that can help you out.

Looks nice. Can you PM me details on where to download please (aka your gamertag)? Make sure you PM because so I can find it easily tomorrow when I download it.

What have you played on it? 4v4? Looks like 4v4. Have you played Doubles on it? Maybe too big for 2v2?

Haven't had the chance to play anything on it yet, literally just finished the actual forging of it a couple hours ago. Still just fixing some of the hard and soft kill zones before I put it in my fileshare. I will PM you once its in there.

Kibbles

I don't know how people stream so much, whenever I stream the games lag like crazy. >_< I didn't think my internet was that bad.

MIMIC

Banned
Just got a perfection...and I come to find that it's one of the challenges? Who comes up with this stuff? LOL.

That was my one of exactly TWO legit perfections I've ever got in Halo: once in Halo 3 and one today.

And you need THREE to complete the challenge? @_@

Moa

Just got a perfection...and I come to find that it's one of the challenges? Who comes up with this stuff? LOL.

That was my one of exactly TWO legit perfections I've ever got in Halo: once in Halo 3 and one today.

And you need THREE to complete the challenge? @_@

At least it actually feels like a challenge for once, I know it encourages people to just sit in corners and abuse their PODs, but still.

MIMIC

Banned
At least it actually feels like a challenge for once, I know it encourages people to just sit in corners and abuse their PODs, but still.

Oh, it's DEFINITELY a challenge. I probably won't get another one for a few years =p

Shadders

Lord Zedd found another cut weapon in the new Spartan ops mission. It looks like a Boltshot but 2X as powerful. And blue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSLSwVYxBKE

Hmm, we've seen that before:

ConceptArt7.png

I wonder if this is a test to see if they can deliver new weapons as DLC...

Akai__

I'm late to this, but regarding to cheaters and boosters in a ranked system...

In my opinion, we need the following:

- automated system for AFK'ing (kick player after a certain amount of time)
- automated system for de-ranker (kick player, if he does too much suicides/betrayals in a certain amount of time)
- automated system for quitters (ban player for a certain amount of time; If he continues to quit, double the time)
- An additional "report player button" on the player profile on Waypoint (choose or type in the reason, why you reported this player; If player gets too many reports, 343i should take a look at that account)

And if they are continueing to do this, just ban them from the competetive playlist.

I'm sure this is something, which can be implemented, but maybe not in Halo 4, in it's current state. I would be positevely suprised, if we could have more control over MM.

Caja 117

- automated system for de-ranker (kick player, if he does too much suicides/betrayals in a certain amount of time)
- automated system for quitters (ban player for a certain amount of time; If he continues to quit, double the time)
- An additional "report player button" on the player profile on Waypoint (choose or type in the reason, why you reported this player; If player gets too many reports, 343i should take a look at that account)

And if they are continueing to do this, just ban them from the competetive playlist.

I'm sure this is something, which can be implemented, but maybe not in Halo 4, in it's current state. I would be positevely suprised, if we could have more control over MM.

Cheaters will allways find a way to beat the system:

1-just have a rubber band in the controller so it the player will be constantly moving, thus avoiding AFK boot.

2-derankers will just shoot at you until they take your shield away and suicide themselves the right amount of times.

3-you can try to ban players for quiting but they will allways be temp ban, they will just keep on doing it after the ban is lifted.

4-A report button will always find a way to get abused, i can say to my whole friend list "report this guy".

And none of these solution you gave can stop those who mod the game in order to get the win or those people who create new accounts to sell them over the internet.

I for one never really cared about it when it happened on Halo 3, My perceptions was that the pros outweighted the cons on these rank playlist, and derankers didn't spoil my fun, this is coming from a guy that played both MLG and Team Slayer playlist alone most of the time.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Its nice to wake up to some good news! But do you guys really believe that the online population will spike because of it?

Havok

Its nice to wake up to some good news! But do you guys really believe that the online population will spike because of it?
Not necessarily, but I don't think that's the point. It's more about making the experience better for the people who are sticking with it, and that includes the hardcore who are excited for the return of this style of play. But you do see population bumps with this kind of thing sometimes. The Reach TU, along with Anniversary, helped the Reach population climb back up.

Akai__

1-just have a rubber band in the controller so it the player will be constantly moving, thus avoiding AFK boot.

2-derankers will just shoot at you until they take your shield away and suicide themselves the right amount of times.

3-you can try to ban players for quiting but they will allways be temp ban, they will just keep on doing it after the ban is lifted.

4-A report button will always find a way to get abused, i can say to my whole friend list "report this guy".

And none of these solution you gave can stop those who mod the game in order to get the win or those people who create new accounts to sell them over the internet.

I for one never really cared about it when it happened on Halo 3, My perceptions was that the pros outweighted the cons on these rank playlist, and derankers didn't spoil my fun, this is coming from a guy that played both MLG and Team Slayer playlist alone most of the time.

1.) rubber band was being detected in Reach, so this is not a problem
2.) true
3.) That's why I'm duplicating the ban
4.) That's why 343i is checking the account after all. Making sure no one innocent is getting banned

Trust me, there are ways to get those people banned. It's just a question of a good detection system and the communities should work together, in order to get those people out of our Halo.

You just have to make it difficult for them, so that they will get annoyed and just give up.

Caja 117

I hope at least it gets better numbers than those you are seen now, I dont expect a big spike though, is hard to bring back people if they already moved on.

JB1981

Of all the changes I think the zero bloom DMR bothers me most. It has radically changed Halo encounters. Everything is quick kill times and long range, pew pew gun battles.

I really can't get excited for the ''competitive playlist'', even with all the promised fixes. I just can't get myself to play the game in competitive settings, because the whole game breaks down if it's played in that matter. Plus if AA's are left in it, it'll suck anyway. Ooh, and flinch is still in it as well.

Duji

You guys can go back and forth forever. I'll come in and say one thing: ranking as a team will pretty much eliminate all boosting and deranking.

Of all the changes I think the zero bloom DMR bothers me most. It has radically changed Halo encounters. Everything is quick kill times and long range, pew pew gun battles.

You call those kill times fast? If you compare the best utility weapons from every Halo game, the Reach DMR has the longest kill time.

Arnie

The proposed competitive playlist sounds really good.

I've got qualms with the UI, and qualms with the eventual implementation of the CSR system, but if the map selection's good (Simplex, Lockout, Pit remake), with enough variation and effort to update each month, I could conceivably see myself relaxing into that playlist for a good few months.

It'd be nice to get the red X's back, see AA's removed (or at least a good chunk of them), and have no radar. Can't actually remember if Franklin confirmed no radar for the competitive playlist, but it makes sense.

I'd be ecstatic if they removed the DMR entirely for the competitive playlist, and enforced BR starts. It just improves gameplay on all map sizes, for a variety of reasons. DMR's range is far too pervasive within the sandbox.

Moa

The AFK detection is Reach went purely off if that player had a kill or not, hence why 'rubber banding' was detected.

That sort of system is less than optimal, thousands (literally) got banned because themselves or their guest had zero kills in a game.

Caja 117

2.) true
3.) That's why I'm duplicating the ban
4.) That's why 343i is checking the account after all. Making sure no one innocent is getting banned

Trust me, there are ways to get those people banned. It's just a question of a good detection system and the communities should work together, in order to get those people out of our Halo.

You just have to make it difficult for them, so that they will get annoyed and just give up.
Im not sure im understanding point 3.

Edit: woooioot! top of the page, community forge playlist is awesome.

Akai__

You guys can go back and forth forever. I'll come in and say one thing: ranking as a team will pretty much eliminate all boosting and deranking.

How would this work? Are you supposed to go in with a team of 4?

The AFK detection is Reach went purely off if that player had a kill or not, hence why 'rubber banding' was detected.

That sort of system is less than optimal, thousands (literally) got banned because themselves or their guest had zero kills in a game.

I'm sure you can detect certain patterns of movement, too, like walking in a circle, moving straight forward etc.

Im not sure im understanding point 3.

Edit: woooioot! top of the page, community forge playlist is awesome.

I used the wrong word. I mean to double the amount of time, for a quit ban.

1st quit ban: 5 minutes
2nd: 10 minutes
3rd: 20 minutes
etc.

But only, if this happens back to back and it bans you only temporarily from the ranked playlist.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I just started playing Halo 4. After playing COD for awhile the controls were kind of jarring for me. If anyone wants to play my Xbox Live ID is Trojita.

Omni

Just finished a two and a half hour lecture on international relations. I have not missed university at all... soooo dull.

Now for some Halo 4. Hopefully I can get a match in the DLC playlist that isn't lagging like hell. Haven't played on them in a while.

Omni

New playlist settings sound good, and it would've been great to include it in the Bulletin. Why wasn't it in there? I find that strange.

Maybe they posted said settings because of the reaction to the bulletin. It seemed a tad more negative than usual (even on Waypoint)

Top Bottom