• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Music: http://youtu.be/tpGRdX5sUAs

Lyrics:

Gonna start up Halo, gonna send invites,
Gonna play some Spartan Ops, all right!
My motto's always been, if it's Co-op Night
Let's jump into the middle of a firefight.

When everything's a little laggy during online play
And you wanna be a Spartan-4 on the Infini-tay.

Campaign's always workin' up my appetite,
Looking forward to a little Spartan Ops tonight.
Throwing stickies at some Watchers while they're in mid-flight
And the thought of fighting Crawlers is just so excitin'.

Promethean Knights!
Shields made of hard light!
All in Spartan Ops tonight.
Playing Spartan Ops, all right.

Started out this Season using X-ray sight,
I always thought jetpack would be the best to reach new height.
If you're Crimson or Majestic then you know we might
Try pushin on more buttons at the same old site.

Promethean Knights!

Palmer wants to finish Halsey with a Magnum round.
She just doesn't care to hear what all those eggheads found.

Promethean Knights.
Shields made of hard light.

Spaaaaaaartan Ops tonight.
Spar-arr-arr-arr-arraaarraaaaaaarraaarraaaaaaaaaaaaahhh
Spartan Ops tonight!

TCKaos

Two Binary Rifle Knights at the top of a ramp pinning down the entire squad.
Elites with Scattershots.
Millions of Hunters and Watchers.

ugIJ0sB.png

My body wasn't ready. Really nice to see that shit finally. I didn't like how long we were in the engine room, though. Other than that this week was phenomenal. Looking forward to next week for sure.

Ghazi

Formal is just taking everyone out with that Sniper Rifle!

#Ninjaneedstowinyolo

Edit: Aaaaand the stream is down right before the end of the match

I've always wondered if (not in any of the games of course) hardlight's observed properties of regular light. For example, being diffused by water, making it a hard counter against hardlight weaponry, and so on.

One pretty brilliant thing I've noticed is that a lot of the Promethean weapon shots have a tendency to refract or ricochet off surfaces. The Scattershot is the most obvious, but the Light Rifle and Binary Rifle do it too... most commonly off of metal surfaces. It's a nice touch.

Chief should cover himself in mirrors for Halo 5 to make himself invulnerable.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Music: http://youtu.be/tpGRdX5sUAs

Lyrics:

Gonna start up Halo, gonna send invites,
Gonna play some Spartan Ops, all right!
My motto's always been, if it's Co-op Night
Let's jump into the middle of a firefight.

When everything's a little laggy during online play
And you wanna be a Spartan-4 on the Infini-tay.

Promethean Knights!

Started out this Season using X-ray sight,
I always thought jetpack would be the best to reach new height.
If you're Crimson or Majestic then you know we might
Try pushin on more buttons at the same old site.

Promethean Knights!

Palmer wants to finish Halsey with a Magnum round.
She just doesn't care to hear what all those eggheads found.

Promethean Knights.
Shields made of hard light.

Spaaaaaaartan Ops tonight.
Spar-arr-arr-arr-arraaarraaaaaaarraaarraaaaaaaaaaaaahhh
Spartan Ops tonight!

lol finally it arrives. Awesome.

Omni

Finished this week's Spartan Ops. Spoiler tagged just in case.

A tad more backtracking than I probably would've liked in hindsight. Plus there was a part where you need to lock down the engine room that really annoyed me. You spawn in an area and the objective is on the other side of the map (which isn't that far away). Once you get to that objective and push the button (which locks the door), you get another Waypoint way back where you just spawned requiring you to do the same thing.

I mean... couldn't I have done that before?

Other than that I had a great time doing said missions. Not really digging the Infinity's colour scheme (very dull... same as FuD), but the first chapter is great visually. Looking forward to next week.

Plus is the invasion Halsey's fault?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'd appreciate if people spoiler tagged new SpOps stuff till folks have a chance to play it.

Spartan Ops Episode 7 finished. Very good. I especially like the first chapter, the environment was really nice. And the cgi cinematic was so good. I'm actually really excited to see where the next 3 episodes go.

willow ve

AGL was a blast to watch. so glad they'll be having tons of events this year. hope to see some amateur teams rise to the top.

AGL was really fun. Good to see some Halo still grabbing viewers.

Serious question: How will teams afford to attend multiple events when the prize money is miniscule? Are sponsorships still happening even without the exposure of MLG?

Moa

Episode 7 Spoilers:

So Halsey didn't know about John making it back to human space safely at all, or him even being on the Infinity. Interesting.

Really looking forward to how Lasky & Halsey will discuss this in later episodes.

Moving on, buttons...

button-o.gif

Blueblur1

Spartan Ops spoilers:

Spartan Ops was great this week! It only used the same environment 4 times!

But seriously, that was terrible. If 343 wants that mode to stand out it has to do more than re-use environments and switches. If they ever bother with something like Spartan Ops again I sincerely hope they develop specific gameplay hooks unique to the mode. Less switches and more varied activities, please.

Nowise10

Spartan Ops spoilers:

Spartan Ops was great this week! It only used the same environment 4 times!

But seriously, that was terrible. If 343 wants that mode to stand out it has to do more than re-use environments and switches. If they ever bother with something like Spartan Ops again I sincerely hope they develop specific gameplay hooks unique to the mode. Less switches and more varied activities, please.

I think the main thing would be better activities, as this week was the same thing in all 4 missions. I even said when playing the mission I hope Episode 10 is just completely unique with all the objectives.

However, I thought the environments were still pretty cool.

Havok

Finished the Episode 7 missions, CG was easily the best it's been.

Some thoughts on Spartan Ops Episode 7: We Found a Button Labeled "Spawn Jackal Rangers" and Pressed it a Bunch, alternatively titled The UNSC Continues to be Incompetent. Everything in here I consider to be non-spoilery, but I'd be happy to tag it if people want.

Starting off on a good note, the environments were top notch this episode and the way they stitch together is really interesting. A lot of it felt very Cairo Station-esque. The (very) occasional mixups in enemy type and weapon type was surprising and refreshing. The skyboxes made me wish Spartan Ops had theater.

Starting in media res for the first chapter is super confusing, I think it could have been handled better with a throwaway line about Crimson's current situation. As it was I paused and had to think "wait, where did the last episode leave off?"

But the missions themselves suffer from a lot of the problems that I think the mode as a whole has. While the last episode felt very manageable playing solo Heroic, Episode 7 was a different story. I know that by listing these out like I'm going to do, it's going to seem like they could be applicable to any of the episodes.

Please stop using the Fuel Rod as a crutch to increase the difficulty. Please stop giving the Fuel Rod to Elites. Please stop giving the Fuel Rod to Elite Generals. The Fuel Rod has created interesting gameplay in two instances/situations across the entire series: When you first see it on Two Betrayals and the Grunts on the Control Room ice bridge are lobbing shots at you from like a mile away and you're able to easily dodge it in a Banshee, and when Hunters use it in any of the games. There are a couple of missions where seemingly every room has at least one Fuel Rod enemy, and they'll just blanket every door you need to get into with fire for a few seconds, which is just obnoxious. Spartan Ops, you aren't using it right, so stop using it. Halo: CE's Fuel Rod moved very fast, but it didn't home in on the player. Halo 4's does both. Axe it.

Please stop spawning enemies on top of the player. In two of the chapters this week, enemies will literally drop from the ceiling on top of the player without warning. It's as if one of the public transit tubes from fucking Futurama got lost and ended up in Halo. It isn't fun.

The above includes Battlewagons. Engaging a Crawler and having a Battlewagon teleport in next to me and one-shot me without me ever knowing he was on the field is annoying.

Still better than the majority of the first half of the season, but it's falling back into old, nasty habits that I would rather have seen stay dead.

Whole campaign please, including Cortana insertions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7lULxnEZI0

malfcn

Episode 7 Spoilers:

So Halsey didn't know about John making it back to human space safely at all, or him even being on the Infinity. Interesting.

Really looking forward to how Lasky & Halsey will discuss this in later episodes.

Moving on, buttons...

button-o.gif

Whole campaign please, including Cortana insertions.

Tawpgun

This was the first time I actually enjoyed Spartan Ops. Great episode. Still suffers from too many enemies. It's clear 343 didn't bother implementing a scaling system for number of players. Every encounter seems built for 4.

There was also a moment this episode where I lol'd irl

Roland tells you to press a button to do something, like open the comms or some shit I forget. Paraphrasing here.

Roland: Crimson hit that button over there

Miller: Are you sure that will fix the problem?

Roland: Of course it will, do you think I tell Crimson to hit buttons that don't do anything?

I laughed.

Computron

Roland tells you to press a button to do something, like open the comms or some shit I forget. Paraphrasing here.

Roland: Crimson hit that button over there

Miller: Are you sure that will fix the problem?

Roland: Of course it will, do you think I tell Crimson to hit buttons that don't do anything?

I laughed.

DmGpyQH.png

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Holy Crap at that new Spartan Ops episode. HOLY FREAKING CRAP. I want a Halo show now! So hate what they're doing to Halsey though. I do like Laskey more though.

Fans think too little of Hasley until she's introduced into a new trilogy based primarily on Forerunner Technology, Society, History and then all Hell Breaks Loose.

Catherine Is Boss.

Top Bottom