• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

I have a humble wishlist for Halo 5.

-Improve campaign storytelling, stray away from a linear campaign. Graphics can take the hit no matter what Gaming side thinks of it.

-Improve Forge and Theater with a level of innovation comparable to Halo 3.

-Improve the UI.

-Don't be afraid to go nuts with the weapon sandbox as long as it can be diluted down to a few choice guns in the end for the competitive community.

-Loadouts are nice in concept but they need to be balanced.

-Pull a Metroid Prime with the soundtrack; make Davidge do the ambience/soundscapes and have Jinnouchi do the melodies

-Bring back custom game options.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
EGG HEADS, CAN ACT, BETTER, THAN, THIS!

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Just played Crysis 3 Its okay.

Strange that its on par graphically with FarCry3 yet has none of the terrible screen tearing issues FC3 on xbox does

Have we had any confirmation that Destiny will be launching with next gen consoles?

During the pre-trial for Activision vs. Zampella/West some documents were made public regarding plans for Destiny (since Bungie is now signed on with Activision). They showed that at that time, Destiny was being planned for current and next-gen consoles, (except for the PS3, if I remember right). I suppose that could have changed at any time, but that's the only thing we know about, AFAIK.

EDIT: I remembered wrong about the not being on PS3 part.

XP not carrying over from one specialization to the next is one of the dumbest things in the world. I was 109 with just a few thousand XP to go, so before I went and got the 30k campaign challenge I went and grinded out the last bit in a Spartan Ops match so it wouldn't waste 28k XP. How hard would it have been to just have the XP carry over?
I thought I observed the game doing just that, but I wasn't paying the closest attention. I can't really check now without making a new account.

WAIT A SECOND.

-Microsoft launches Xbox 420 with improved features, basically everything we expect, nothing special.

-Halo 5 turns out to be Xbox 420 Functionality Jesus much like Halo 2, with innovations such as clans, more than 100 friends, etc.

-Xbox 420 2 will get these features baked in but until then Halo 5 is the only one to have such innovations, thus smanging the competition until otherwise noted.

-Resulting feature parity sells buttloads of consoles.

MICROSOFT YOU CLEVER FUCKS

wwm0nkey

So how many of you are going to get a "720" if BF4 and Destiny launch or come out right after the new system comes out?

I know Halo 2 HD would push a lot of people over but that wont be until next year :C

Also Scythe Swat is shit.
Eh, I enjoyed it. I like that map a lot with the two Slayer gametypes I've played on it so far; reminds me a bit of The Hangout, from the minds of the MLG forgers in during the early days of Foundry.

Actually, the only gametype/map combo that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed from the Forge playlist was Infinity Slayer on Shutout (because IS in it's current form is really, really terrible). Good job on the Community Cartographers for getting some quality stuff going. I would actually enjoy seeing any of them in the regular playlists.

^ Speaking of eggheads, was anyone else disappointed that Glassman didn't get blown the fuck up? :lol

So how many of you are going to get a "720" if BF4 and Destiny launch or come out right after the new system comes out?

I know Halo 2 HD would push a lot of people over but that wont be until next year :C

As long as the price is right for what the system can do and there is a game or two worth it for launch Im in. I haven't bought a new console since the my PS3 slim.

Computer

During the pre-trial for Activision vs. Zampella/West some documents were made public regarding plans for Destiny (since Bungie is now signed on with Activision). They showed that at that time, Destiny was being planned for current and next-gen consoles, (except for the PS3, if I remember right). I suppose that could have changed at any time, but that's the only thing we know about, AFAIK.

From what I read on the contract Microsoft has paid a undisclosed amount of money to have Destiny realesed on Xbox and next gen Xbox before any other platform.

IHaveIce

Banned
Eh, I enjoyed it. I like that map a lot with the two Slayer gametypes I've played on it so far; reminds me a bit of The Hangout, from the minds of the MLG forgers in during the early days of Foundry.

Actually, the only gametype/map combo that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed from the Forge playlist was Infinity Slayer on Shutout (because IS in it's current form is really, really terrible). Good job on the Community Cartographers for getting some quality stuff going. I would actually enjoy seeing any of them in the regular playlists.

Maybe I just can't find the map flow for Scythe :(

Yes Infinity Slayer on Shutout just feels so wrong, but I dislike IS on most maps lol

From what I read on the contract Microsoft has paid a undisclosed amount of money to have Destiny realesed on Xbox and next gen Xbox before any other platform.

That wouldn't be surprising.

It's been maddening waiting for the Dragonborn DLC to hit Steam. I've got a damn racehorse gaming rig, and play Skyrim with all kinds of mods, 4K textures and beautiful ENB-powered graphics running at 60 fps, and thanks to Microsoft, I've had to sit and wait for the DLC, with my only other option being to buy the game and play it on their 6-year-old console at 1/3rd the resolution and half the frame rate, with awful lighting and muddy textures.

Thanks, Obama.

End rant.

Computer

Wait, does that mean that you're supposed to use the device border as part of the desktop? Or is the egg literally leaping out of the screen?

Mind=Blown

Microsoft's IllumiRoom http://www.dvice.com/archives/2013/01/microsofts-illu.php

Someone may be able to fill me in. These new spartans in Halo 4 are they genetically altered? Did they have metal infused to their bones? If not how the hell can they be so agile with the heavy ass armor.

Madness

Yeah, while contracts can change I think it will be out on the new systems.

Except the marketing leak from that advertising company clearly showed only Xbox 360/PS3 logos. I seriously doubt they would launch destiny on the next gen consoles since the game has been in development almost as long as halo 4 was.

It's Bungie, and while they have a publishing deal with Activision, they don't have the capital to make so many ports, especially for a system that may or may not even launch yet.

Sure Bungie probably has dev kits for the orbis/durango and has probably started work on games for them, but right now they are about to exit crunch and are focused on Destiny much like Rockstar is focused on GTA V. They have nothing to gain with a next gen console launch but everything to lose. Imagine the money and resources that are surely to be wasted. Especially since this game of theirs is supposed to be some connected online MMO shooter or something. Wouldn't the best experience be on the Xbox 360 and PS3 with their combined 150+ million consoles sold?

It's probably why Wii U has seen very few ports. Even Rockstar is not focused on releasing GTA V for the wii u.

Also, after this gen, is anyone in a hurry to purchase an MS console? I used to laugh that people didn't take care of their consoles which is why so many failed. And yet in 2008 my launch console went and then 3 more repaired replacements failed. I babied my consoles, open ventilation area, daily dusting, etc. I was forced to eventually buy another elite once the year was over and then it RRoD'ed again. Add in the overpriced accessories, and the fact that I paid the same as my American brothers and sisters down south but got a pathetic Xbox live service with very few to no music, movies, shows until relatively soon, and I see just how much I'd have benefited from a PS3.

Sorry to go off like that, but with Gears changing so much and guys like cliffyb leaving, with Halo 4 being so different and frustrating, I really don't see any advantage in getting a nextbox over a ps4. And it's sad because as soon as I played Halo:CE I went out and bought an Xbox with my dad and have been with MS since.

Sure Bungie could go the twilight princess route, but in a game based on online connectivity, you have to wonder if there's a player base for Destiny at launch for the next gen. Maybe of Destiny is a hit and there is some DLC out, I can see them make an updated version for next gen release, I just don't see a concurrent launch.

Fuck. My mom passed away recently, but of health complications that we saw coming well in advance. I can't imagine what losing a parent so suddenly must feel like... Terrible. Thanks for posting that here, by the way.

Shit man, sorry to hear that :/

I'll be getting it regardless.

Fuchsdh

I'm still convinced that Crysis wouldn't even be known if it wasn't for the graphics. Nothing special about the gameplay, story, or multiplayer.
Probably. That its managed to spawn a franchise on such otherwise unremarkable merits is sort of impressive on its own.

Madness

I was so pissed when she didn't get brutally murdered by that Knight.

Missing big opportunities 314!

And yet, I bet the thought process at 343 was to create a female spartan who not only leads all Spartans but is tough and would be someone girl halo players would appreciate in a series that is so male heavy. Instead you have a character that is universally hated on every forum, and one that people openly cheer or call for her death.

They probably wanted her to be the next Sgt. Johnson or Miranda Keyes in terms of fan appreciation. Heck even the female commander from forward unto dawn would be a better character or leader than Palmer.

Except the marketing leak from that advertising company clearly showed only Xbox 360/PS3 logos. I seriously doubt they would launch destiny on the next gen consoles since the game has been in development almost as long as halo 4 was.

It's Bungie, and while they have a publishing deal with Activision, they don't have the capital to make so many ports, especially for a system that may or may not even launch yet.

Sure Bungie probably has dev kits for the orbis/durango and has probably started work on games for them, but right now they are about to exit crunch and are focused on Destiny much like Rockstar is focused on GTA V. They have nothing to gain with a next gen console launch but everything to lose. Imagine the money and resources that are surely to be wasted. Especially since this game of theirs is supposed to be some connected online MMO shooter or something. Wouldn't the best experience be on the Xbox 360 and PS3 with their combined 150+ million consoles sold?

It's probably why Wii U has seen very few ports. Even Rockstar is not focused on releasing GTA V for the wii u.

Also, after this gen, is anyone in a hurry to purchase an MS console? I used to laugh that people didn't take care of their consoles which is why so many failed. And yet in 2008 my launch console went and then 3 more repaired replacements failed. I babied my consoles, open ventilation area, daily dusting, etc. I was forced to eventually buy another elite once the year was over and then it RRoD'ed again. Add in the overpriced accessories, and the fact that I paid the same as my American brothers and sisters down south but got a pathetic Xbox live service with very few to no music, movies, shows until relatively soon, and I see just how much I'd have benefited from a PS3.

Sorry to go off like that, but with Gears changing so much and guys like cliffyb leaving, with Halo 4 being so different and frustrating, I really don't see any advantage in getting a nextbox over a ps4. And it's sad because as soon as I played Halo:CE I went out and bought an Xbox with my dad and have been with MS since.

Sure Bungie could go the twilight princess route, but in a game based on online connectivity, you have to wonder if there's a player base for Destiny at launch for the next gen. Maybe of Destiny is a hit and there is some DLC out, I can see them make an updated version for next gen release, I just don't see a concurrent launch.

Activision gives Bungie the capital to make ports, and the game in general, that's the nature of a publishing deal. Now, it's certainly not essential that Activision releases Destiny as a 720 launch title, but given that it was in the contract and it would great to have it on the new console, we are all hopeful that it will be.

I can't speak for the Xbox Live service outside of the US, but as for hardware, I doubt we'll see the same issues that plagued the 360. The 360 was intentionally rushed to the market by MS, the next Xbox shouldn't have that issue.

Fuchsdh

And yet, I bet the thought process at 343 was to create a female spartan who not only leads all Spartans but is tough and would be someone girl halo players would appreciate in a series that is so male heavy. Instead you have a character that is universally hated on every forum, and one that people openly cheer or call for her death.

They probably wanted her to be the next Sgt. Johnson or Miranda Keyes in terms of fan appreciation. Heck even the female commander from forward unto dawn would be a better character or leader than Palmer.

Keyes was not particulary a great character either. Halsey is the only well-written and established female character in the series to me if you're not counting Cortana.

That said they clearly weren't angling Palmer to be loved and adored so judging the character by that is a waste of time.

I'm still convinced that Crysis wouldn't even be known if it wasn't for the graphics. Nothing special about the gameplay, story, or multiplayer.

yup, MM its hollow somehow, the story is just okay but nothing memorable, maybe the Prophet its the only interesting Character so far, that far that they "revived" him for the sake of the story.

I was so pissed when she didn't get brutally murdered by that Knight.

Missing big opportunities 314!

I was more pissed about she kills it with one bullet.

Madness

Of course... But the graphics were so good at the time, crysis entered the verbal gaming lexicon. Look how long people asked, 'but can it run crysis' etc.

It's nothing spectacular from a gaming standpoint, but sadly neither are a lot of games that now sell on 'name' alone.

Tawpgun

PM'd my questions

Also I really hate the video game trope of main character soldiers needing to have their helmets off to be identifiable.

Put your shit on Palmer.

Maybe I just can't find the map flow for Scythe :(

Yes Infinity Slayer on Shutout just feels so wrong, but I dislike IS on most maps lol
As well you should. If I could ask Kevin Franklin one question, it would be "how would you adjust Infinity Slayer to make it more appealing to the competitive Halo crowd?" Because for all intents and purposes, Infinity Slayer is 343's take on the Fiesta gametype (which is actually a marked improvement that gametype, if you think about it like that). I really, REALLY want to play that IS gametype that was from the recent tournament; Having no AA's to start and get them in Ordnance is among the types of tweaking that should have been done from the beginning and make it more appealing across the board.

Man. When that Promethean Knight managed to pop-in behind her in this week's CGI-episode, well....let's just say I was really rooting for that Knight.
I want the magic pistols she has, where one shot to the head kills a PromKnight.

Tzeentch

Yup. What is interesting is that they obviously pegged the fans as virulently anti-intellectual when creating Palmer. Which is a bit odd, as I thought she was a checklist action-girl like Miranda Keyes.

Top Bottom