• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

What is this doubles pro?

Good. Double Team, No Custom Loadout's (Set loadouts), Weapons on map, No ordnance drops. No Radar.

And at least in the case of Haven A editited map with better spawns and some grav lifts at the back alcoves

Its pretty much the only thing I enjoy playing.

Team Throwdown should be good.

Can we get some GAF parties going Monday to test it out?

I get that you guys don't like Halo 4 because it not what you expected it to be or it's not what you want it to be, but that doesn't mean that you can't enjoy Halo 4 for what it is. That said, I think you guys are tremendeously exagerating when saying that this game sucks. I think anyone can have fun with this game online. Think of it as not beeing Halo or something.

Madness

I get that you guys don't like Halo 4 because it not what you expected it to be or it's not what you want it to be, but that doesn't mean that you can't enjoy Halo 4 for what it is. That said, I think you guys are tremendeously exagerating when saying that this game sucks. I think anyone can have fun with this game online. Think of it as not beeing Halo or something.

Then why even play the damn game if I don't want to think it is Halo? Halo is the only reason I bought the game, the only reason I play. I might as well go play killzone, or any other dozens of FPS games out there.

Who are you to tell us we are tremendously exaggerating when saying the game sucks? I bought the game at launch, I've played the hell out of it, I'm now SR 108 without double xp, and I can honestly say, this is the shittiest Halo game I have played yet. More than Reach. I could deal with the poor maps and bloom of Reach. I didn't quit after 3-4 matches in Reach, I do so because I cannot stomach infinity slayer or big team that much. Doubles pro is the only thing I like or enjoy about the game, maybe the second half of Spartan Ops. I'm only sticking around to give team throwdown a try, and it's decent, I'll keep playing, if not, Gears and Bioshock will bide my time and I guess I'll leave Halo behind too.

If we are tremendously exaggerating, why is it the least played Halo game ever? Why is ratio for Team Salt vs Team Slurp so high? Forget Juices or Kyle, you even have people like Ghaleon and Dax hate this game. That tells you about how it's perceived amongst it's most hardcore/loyal fans.

I think people are entitled to their opinions and I also think that the game has shown to be poor by virtually every community Halo once had turning their backs on it.

The pro community has dwindled, The day to day population is strikingly low.

Legacy features have been axed, Forge is a shadow of its former self (A big one if you put too many objects on a map). Multiplayer has moved away from a competitive focus and the elements which made Halo 2 and 3 such stand apart classic games have virtually all been either removed or overshadowed with poor features.

People do not dislike this game because its cool its has genuine faults and the more dedicated a player previously was to the franchise the more they are going to feel like they have been shit on.

Lets look at players like Juices, Kyle, Over and Devo. I used to stay up till 4 in the morning shitting on kids with these guys in Reach. Playing for hours on end and this was on Reach which was at its very best a poor game but they stayed because they still found some morsel of enjoyment in playing that game. A few months in and they have all but abandoned Halo.
Surely however anecdotal that is it tells you something about the quality of the game?

I have nothing but respect for Frankie and Ellis and the entire 343i staff but the game they shipped has faults, It looks now that they are starting to address them but I fear its too late (id rather them try than let the game die)

You said that you think "anyone can have fun in this game" and to some extent that might be true however theirs a difference between 1 fun game and an experience that has you itching to get on and shit on some kids. I have little drive to play Halo 4 at all. Doubles is a great gametype and really the only thing stopping me playing is the fact that I don't have a partner.

J10

Banned

This game lacks a certain structure. Some of us may not have realized how important that structure was until it wasn't there anymore.

Ranks or no ranks, you could play Halo 3 and know what the fuck is going on at all times: you know what everyone's starting weapons/equipment were, where and when the power weapons/equipment spawn, where opponents are likely to respawn, and you could anticipate your opponents moves based on that information. That structure is gone in Halo 4. As it turns out, many of us simply don't enjoy large swaths of random nonsense in Halo; too many gametypes in the greater matchmaking experience feel like Fiesta custom games. Apparently, that old structure is a big part of what made Halo fun to play. Collecting virtual trinkets, not so much.

The neglect and abandonment of certain ancillary game features we had come to expect as standard didn't help either.

MIMIC

Banned
Does anyone else use the light rifle? I was playing around with it a few days ago and it's surprisingly good.

My only issue is that sometimes I find lose sight of the reticle (for whatever reason).

IHaveIce

Banned
Yeah no, I want to think of it as halo, because I wanted a Hali when I bought Halo 4.

Halo.
Opinions man. Especially on the fun part.

rakka

have been SR130 for several weeks now and after 25,000 kills this game still pisses me off daily. doubles is decent.

hyped for destiny reveal. hope bungie delivers.

This game lacks a certain structure. Some of us may not have realized how important that structure was until it wasn't there anymore.

Ranks or no ranks, you could play Halo 3 and know what the fuck is going on at all times: you know what everyone's starting weapons/equipment were, where and when the power weapons/equipment spawn, where opponents are likely to respawn, and you could anticipate your opponents moves based on that information. That structure is gone in Halo 4. As it turns out, many of us simply don't enjoy large swaths of random nonsense in Halo; too many gametypes in the greater matchmaking experience feel like Fiesta custom games. Apparently, that old structure is a big part of what made Halo fun to play. Collecting virtual trinkets, not so much.

The neglect and abandonment of certain ancillary game features we had come to expect as standard didn't help either.
Exactly. All of this.

A month ago a friend was discussing how Halo should be random like War. That there is no true balance in a War game (he was stating CoD practically). Halo shouldn't ever follow these traits of random respawning, random weapons spawning, in a competitive game. It brakes the core balance of Halo which in my perspective is like a chess game. The better player wins because of his or hers skill & team strategy and not by random rock, paper, scissors bs and broken structures.

Why oh why can't my disc drive just work?
60 dollars please

Oh, I mentioned this to Risen when we played the other day, I think it's confusing in Doubles Pro that weapons spawn via global ordnance and also just appear on the map. I feel like it should be all one or all the other, because the way it is now leaves map weapons neglected in favor of the attention-getting global ordnance.

m23

Mine wasn't working either, disc tray wasn't opening for the most part. I decided to just open it up and clean it, the mechanisms that open the tray were pretty dirty. It worked, disc tray opening fine now. As long as you are willing to void the warranty you should try.

My warranty was gone years ago. The tray works somewhat ok but it can't read discs. Could spend the €75~ to send it to xbox support to get it fixed and a 3 month warranty added to it but I might crack it open first.

My warranty was gone years ago. The tray works somewhat ok but it can't read discs. Could spend the €75~ to send it to xbox support to get it fixed and a 3 month warranty added to it but I might crack it open first.

Youtube is full of good tutorials, I cracked mine open and managed to get about 6 more months life out of it, that enough to last until a price drop.

m23

Anyone know the name of the track that plays when (episode 8 cgi spoilers)
Halsey drops the shields surrounding the 'librarian' ?
The same track seems to play in Spartan Ops episode 9 when the
turrets help you against the Prometheans.
(ep9 chapter 1 spoilers)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isSlM4cxp_k&t=4m55s (look here to hear it)

Oh man, I love that music. It also plays in mission 3 in campaign. I don't think its on the OST.

gAg CruSh3r

2013 and we're taking pics of Halo with our mobile phones.
What happened... Blah, I'm just beating a dead horse.

Map looks cool tho!

Thanks, it a lot better in game of cores. Maybe if Waypoints file share (screen shots) worked I would have uploaded it easily that way. In a world that Halo 4 is not perfect that did not happen...

More time for Carcassone, freak.

I demoralised your brother, you're next.

On XBLA? I was super good for a long time but never found many people to play. If I start up, would you ever want to play a few matches against me? Shouldn't be too hard to get back into it.

Perhaps, I only just got back into it, I'm not sure how long this phase will last though. :p

It's my most played XBLA game, just in front of BF1943, I thnk I put 40-50 hours into Carcassone over the last 5 years or so.

Sec0nd

I made a pretty funny Xbox / Halo-ish 8bit short film. Thought you guys might like it! It's only 1:31 long.

y2Jdqp9l.jpg

Inside of an Xbox

NOKYARD

I made a pretty funny Xbox / Halo-ish 8bit short film. Thought you guys might like it! It's only 1:31 long.

http://i.imgur.com/y2Jdqp9l.jpg[/ IMG]

[URL="http://youtu.be/w70B2nR8__Q"][B]Inside of an Xbox[/B][/URL][/QUOTE]
I tried that. Nothing but the zombified corpses of a million dust bunnies.

[quote="HiredN00bs, post: 47790010"]
Oh, I mentioned this to Risen when we played the other day, I think it's confusing in Doubles Pro that weapons spawn via global ordnance and also just appear on the map. I feel like it should be all one or all the other, because the way it is now leaves map weapons neglected in favor of the attention-getting global ordnance.[/QUOTE]
We wish. Too many waypoints, you can't control the amount of ammo, you can only have one item set as a truely static drop. The rest start the timer at pickup.

[quote="Wahrer Machine, post: 47776750"]
Lasky is the King of one side. He doesn't come into play until end-game and stays pretty static up until the end game. He also very clearly wants to defend his notable pawn Halsey.

Palmer is a Rook: a heavy unit that doesn't really shine until later on into the match because it can be used as a fearful mindgame and doesn't mind the loss of a mere Pawn.

Halsey got to the end of the board first and, Season One's ending permitting, will likely become a Queen.
[/QUOTE]
You are clearly high. [spoiler]Halsey is the Queen who has fallen, and Palmer sacrifices herself so one of the Spartan Pawns can summon her return.[/spoiler]

Reach multiplayer > Halo 4 multiplayer

Yeah, no. I don't like Halo 4, but H4's AA are tuned so much better than Reach. Haven could be the only map in Reach and it would be an improvement. The jump height and movement in Reach was a fucking joke. If there's one thing 343 got right, it's the jumping. Reach was a DMR and bloom fest for the majority of it's life. At least we have a BR and if the DMR is fixed in the TU, Reach will be the worst in the Halo franchise bar none.

ZeNy

Neo Member

y2Jdqp9l.jpg

Inside of an Xbox

Oh dude, it was damn cool seriously ! I'll share it, hope you'll make another video like this one !

Anyone know the name of the track that plays when (episode 8 cgi spoilers)
Halsey drops the shields surrounding the 'librarian' ?
The same track seems to play in Spartan Ops episode 9 when the
turrets help you against the Prometheans.
(ep9 chapter 1 spoilers)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isSlM4cxp_k&t=4m55s (look here to hear it)

I think that track is this one : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImU2h_1d5Ng

You can find other tracks used in Spartan Ops on this channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/tridyriumost/videos

Madness

Halo 4 multiplayer could consist of nothing other than infinity slayer on complex and still be more compelling than the entirety of Reach's multiplayer.

You could not be more wrong. And the numbers back it up. Sure people are probably more frustrated with Halo 4 because of Reach, but no. While I appreciate the improved gun play and movement, there is far more wrong with Halo 4 than there was with Reach.

The fact that split screen multiplayer is almost unplayable at times shows this.

I don't understand. The only problems with Reach were movement speeds, AA's, bloom and DMR. You can argue poor playlist management inclusion of forge maps too many times.

Halo 4 is a clusterfuck. Instant respawn? No red X, personal ordnance, global ordnance, ridiculous loadouts, poor asset management on map, even worse Armor abilities. How is a moving Armor lock worse than a static one? Flinch? So many problems with frame rates. Sometimes the game turns into a PowerPoint.

Yeah, no. I don't like Halo 4, but H4's AA are tuned so much better than Reach. Haven could be the only map in Reach and it would be an improvement. The jump height and movement in Reach was a fucking joke. If there's one thing 343 got right, it's the jumping. Reach was a DMR and bloom fest for the majority of it's life. At least we have a BR and if the DMR is fixed in the TU, Reach will be the worst in the Halo franchise bar none.

Maps, gametypes, and weapons are all leagues above 4.

Sec0nd

Thanks for all the kind comments guys! I really, really appreciate it!

So is Spartan Ops actually actually worth playing? I've only finished the first mission when they game just released. I found it very boring because the map was ripped straight from the campaign and I was kind of burned out after finishing the game. Should I go back and finish it?

So is Spartan Ops actually actually worth playing? I've only finished the first mission when they game just released. I found it very boring because the map was ripped straight from the campaign and I was kind of burned out after finishing the game. Should I go back and finish it?

Things get better after episode 5. There's a lot to trudge through and you won't miss much by just skipping to episode 6.

And for no reason, here's a picture I took:

Edit: Just for fun:
FklJa2M.png

Madness

The first five episodes are boring and tedious. They really pick up from episode 6 onwards. There are a few chapters in the early episodes you might like, best to at least play through them once. But be prepared for asset reuse, poor writing and dialog, poor enemy encounters etc. The CG is perhaps the best part. You'll like episode 6 onwards.

Top Bottom