• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Akai__

Does anybody know, if you can download the "Games with Gold" games with a XBL Gold trial? I assume it's not possible, because it's not a real gold membership?

Edit: Also, how do I create a XBL US account, if I'm not in the USA?

Does anybody know, if you can download the "Games with Gold" games with a XBL Gold trial? I assume it's not possible, because it's not a real gold membership?

Correct. It sucks, but I would do the same if I were in their position. Never playing GoW1, I want the membership now, but what are you going to do? lol #TheBrokeLife

Akai__

Correct. It sucks, but I would do the same if I were in their position. Never playing GoW1, I want the membership now, but what are you going to do? lol #TheBrokeLife

Thanks, it's not for me anyways, since I already have Gears of War. I'm helping my friend to create a VPN tunnel, in order to connect to the US Marketplace, because Gears of War is on the black list here and you can't download it or buy it officially in germany.

Edit:
If it's region locked, your friend won't be able to download it even with a VPN and Gold, so you should try a European country.

It wasn't a few years ago, so I assume it isn't now. Either way, it's not a big loss, because it's free anyways. Thanks for the tip, though.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Thanks, it's not for me anyways, since I already have Gears of War. I'm helping my friend to create a VPN tunnel, in order to connect to the US Marketplace, because Gears of War is on the black list here and you can't download it or buy it officially in germany.

If it's region locked, your friend won't be able to download it even with a VPN and Gold, so you should try a European country.

Halo |OT19| Share the Loading... Done

Gr8TFEK.png

cDpD3Rx.png

I miss having banners on rotation in the OP.

Fuchsdh

I updated the map based on feedback and renamed it Harper Stadium. Harper was an Admiral under Lord Hood.

The shields are laid out in an easier to learn pattern and no longer show up as an enemy (shields labeled as enemy teams to force a colour are considered actual 'enemies' by the game engine and therefore cause a red reticule) so they don't cause reticle magnetism when you run past them.

Ah, k. Downloaded. Will definitely try and run it next weekend.

Frankie, you should write some Bulletins and give us some Halo Xbox One teases. You had a magical way of teasing things in the past without saying a damn thing.

Perhaps my biggest hope in the next Halo title would be the removal of a few layers of red tape from the post-release support team. I think that they already have a good ear to the ground with the community when it comes to finding out the issues or problems that arise in the game but I guess it always felt like any change that could be made had to cascade through the chain of command and trickle back down with an 'ok'. That took time. It felt like the team were sitting on their hands just waiting to flick a switch but were awaiting confirmation. I think it would benefit everyone if they optimised that aspect of support for the game.

If the next Halo puts the control back in the users hand it is a huge step in the right direction. Let us decide if flag/ball/etc is auto-pickup, if the flagnum is in play, if sprint is in, etc. It was bizarre having those options stripped away when customizing the gameplay is a Halo staple.

Also, please, more real symmetrical maps. And actual 1-sided objective gametypes for asymmetrical maps.

willow ve

If the next Halo puts the control back in the users hand it is a huge step in the right direction. Let us decide if flag/ball/etc is auto-pickup, if the flagnum is in play, if sprint is in, etc. It was bizarre having those options stripped away when customizing the gameplay is a Halo staple.

Also, please, more real symmetrical maps. And actual 1-sided objective gametypes for asymmetrical maps.
Never loved one sided objective due to round based quitting.

On the other side, please please please give us actual symmetrical maps. If I hear the phrase "functional symmetry" one more time...

They need to be careful when it comes to the options though. For example in Halo 4 even if we had the option for turning off sprint,the maps were designed with sprint in mind so it will be kind of useless for the option to be there. There needs to be a certain balance. Fans want smaller maps and no sprint so they should design maps with that in mind. Honestly sprint is not needed if characters moved fast enough.

Never loved one sided objective due to round based quitting.

On the other side, please please please give us actual symmetrical maps. If I hear the phrase "functional symmetry" one more time...

I agree it caused issues sometimes, but at the very least allow for it in custom games.

They need to be careful when it comes to the options though. For example in Halo 4 even if we had the option for turning off sprint,the maps were designed with sprint in mind so it will be kind of useless for the option to be there. There needs to be a certain balance. Fans want smaller maps and no sprint so they should design maps with that in mind. Honestly sprint is not needed if characters moved fast enough.

To be fair, once again, if users want to mess around with it in customs they should be allowed to. Anyways, tweaking the base speed among other things might help compensate.

Perhaps my biggest hope in the next Halo title would be the removal of a few layers of red tape from the post-release support team. I think that they already have a good ear to the ground with the community when it comes to finding out the issues or problems that arise in the game but I guess it always felt like any change that could be made had to cascade through the chain of command and trickle back down with an 'ok'. That took time. It felt like the team were sitting on their hands just waiting to flick a switch but were awaiting confirmation. I think it would benefit everyone if they optimised that aspect of support for the game.

My impression is that there are a lot of real software barriers with the current engine that made the actual deployment of things hard. I think Fyrewulf mentioned that the translation software that deployed gametypes to matchmaking servers would often break or introduce insidious errors that required a lot of testing to find and eliminate. Or I might be remembering wrong.

Regardless, I really hope they don't announce that Halo5one is "based on" the "Halo 4" engine, it sounds to me like legacy code ripped them a new one this time around.

My impression is that there are a lot of real software barriers with the current engine that made the actual deployment of things hard. I think Fyrewulf mentioned that the translation software that deployed gametypes to matchmaking servers would often break or introduce insidious errors that required a lot of testing to find and eliminate. Or I might be remembering wrong.

Regardless, I really hope they don't announce that Halo5one is "based on" the "Halo 4" engine, it sounds to me like legacy code ripped them a new one this time around.

Isn't it the same engine? if they start a new one wouldn't it take even longer to develop?No way they get a new engine and manage to release a game next year. Also wasn't the Halo 4 engine the same as Bungies engine just modified?

Isn't it the same engine? if they start a new one wouldn't it take even longer to develop?No way they get a new engine and manage to release a game next year. Also wasn't the Halo 4 engine the same as Bungies engine just modified?

While Bungie's Halo engines were more iterative, 343 near-completely scrapped traditional Halo out of the engine, and it shows.

Yeah, they're all descended from Halo: CE, which is approximately half the age of the Earth in computing terms. I'm 99% sure it's why parts of Halo 4 were so bad, there was only so much they could do with stuff that was hacked together by some programmer meeting a deadline ten years ago and which has dependencies throughout the whole project. So it wouldn't necessarily be slower to use a new engine since using the old one has its own issues. Personally, I think they would be better off ditching Bungie's engine and buying one of the commercial ones like Unreal or Cryengine, if they haven't already.

Here's what Stinkles himself said re:spectator mode:
The Halo engine is built on years and years and years of legacy stuff, and it's frankly not all that easy to make significant changes to it. We've done it in the past, but it's a tremendous amount of work, and in some ways the effort and invention that we want to apply to that type of code and features, is probably better spent forward-facing. It's not to say it will never happen, but bluntly speaking we should be spending our resources for the future and not for the past. I wish it was in there.

IHaveIce

Banned
Halo just needs a reset back to zero and completely think what is needed for gameplay purposes, what is needed as features and what is needed to make this series feel special again.

Not looking at other franchises, not thinking how do you do a sequel for Halo 4, think how you would make a game that follows up Halo CE in gameplay things but is on top of modern standards for features and options to alter gameplay for customs.

Really it doesn't even strike me as difficult to make these decisions. Show that you are one of MS's prime dev teams.

Fuchsdh

Yeah, they're all descended from Halo: CE, which is approximately half the age of the Earth in computing terms. I'm 99% sure it's why parts of Halo 4 were so bad, there was only so much they could do with stuff that was hacked together by some programmer meeting a deadline ten years ago and which has dependencies throughout the whole project. So it wouldn't necessarily be slower to use a new engine since using the old one has its own issues. Personally, I think they would be better off ditching Bungie's engine and buying one of the commercial ones like Unreal or Cryengine, if they haven't already.

Here's what Stinkles himself said re:spectator mode:

I think Halo is worth enough to Microsoft that they can afford to make their own engine. Even with the best AAA games, you can often tell what engine the game was made on, and the worst possible thing that could happen to Halo is for it to lose its unique look and feel.

nillapuddin

I hate to say it, but out of the big big dev teams out there in the gaming industry, I believe 343 might have the toughest task of them all.

Although they participate in the largest genre in general (FPS) the Halo brand of FPS (Arena shooter) has been surpassed by (MMS) both thematically, and gameplay wise.

I will be here every day thirsting for more information, and supporting them with my dollars, but I do not envy them.

Im not sure what the likelihood of 343 ever being able to use a "bought" engine, its a decision that was assuredly made years ago if at all, but maybe it would take "recreating" Halo from Portal 2 to be able to figure out where they want to be.*

*referencing that Titanfall was made from Portal 2

I'll be tight on time tonight and tomorrow so the OT is up...I didn't have the time I wanted so forgive the crappy graphics and layout. However I'd really appreciate us all putting in the time to complete the surveys. Also if y'all have any additional suggestions to shape the survey feel free. We can get a beast of survey going then hit up all the other communities for a really uniform infographic about ALL Halo to date.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Fuchsdh

I'll be tight on time tonight and tomorrow so the OT is up...I didn't have the time I wanted so forgive the crappy graphics and layout. However I'd really appreciate us all putting in the time to complete the surveys. Also if y'all have any additional suggestions to shape the survey feel free. We can get a beast of survey going then hit up all the other communities for a really uniform infographic about ALL Halo to date.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

As a fan of gathering random statistics, I approve of this and shall fill it out forthwith.

To paraphrase Cortana, "It's not the prettiest |OT|, but we know it'll work."

Top Bottom