• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyReN

AGDQ just beat LoL in terms of viewers. Halo 2 is back!

yay

9otc2v7.png

Madness

Pretty crazy how many of us are all watching it... I mean it's 5 am east coast, 2 am west coast, I wonder if a lot are also our Aussie bros watching.

blamite

Man, that was such a cool run. Made me remember why I liked Halo in the first place.

Are there any other Halo speedrunners on Twitch who I should be following? That's one side of the community I've never really seen that much of for whatever reason.

Madness

Man, that was such a cool run. Made me remember why I liked Halo in the first place.

Are there any other Halo speedrunners on Twitch who I should be following? That's one side of the community I've never really seen that much of for whatever reason.

Yeah that was pretty great, good commentary too. It's crazy how many people were watching at this time.

Mistel

Banned
The world record for zero death legendary on halo 2 is 3 hours and 16 minutes, that's from someone on HSH. That's decent feat within itself of not dying on legendary but doing it that's fast as well.

It reminds me of a 10 minute super Mario world speed run I saw for the whole game.

NOKYARD

It will be interesting to see some of the techniques used. But 2 hours is amazing though is that the world record, for the entire campaign on legendary?
1:50:07 by Mr. Monopoli

http://highspeedhalo.net/twitch/

Fuchsdh

Can't wait for that first substantial multiplayer info drop. Halo is not my online gaming "everything" anymore (I got CSGO now (and learning Dota 2)) so I'll be able to just sit back with some popcorn empanadas and enjoy the show.

Can't wait to shit on you! Dota 2's matchmaking seems really screwed up. I get that they want to avoid newbies getting plastered by the ultra-harsh competitive types, but in order to even play a single ranked match you have to grind through like 150 games in unranked, and there's no way to perform so well that you can graduate faster. I haven't played more than one or two games where I've gone negative K/D, and my only skill is that I've been playing DotA for the better part of eight years. Hopefully the challenge returns with higher levels and ranked. Still, hope you enjoy it, it's definitely a fun game. Also, what happened to Letters? :(

...oh, and just started watching the speedrun. Always impressed by this stuff; the most speedrunning I do is trying to get through Legendary campaigns with as little grief as possible. so it's great to see the pros do it.

Omni

The world record for zero death legendary on halo 2 is 3 hours and 16 minutes, that's from someone on HSH. That's decent feat within itself of not dying on legendary but doing it that's fast as well.

It reminds me of a 10 minute super Mario world speed run I saw for the whole game.

No freaking clue how people get past Halo 2 on Legendary without dying.

Played some campaign on PC the other day and got absolutely hammered by Elites on heroic... Let's not even talk about the Brutes.

Mistel

Banned
Speed running techniques and their skill are very good. Even though I watched the whole thing I'm still amazed, they did it that quickly.

Played some campaign on PC the other day and got absolutely hammered by Elites on heroic... Let's not even talk about the Brutes.
I died quite a lot of times, nothing more upsetting than being killed by flood in a gauss hog.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
I really hope the matchmaking experience is fixed in the next game. This is completely aside from the effect smaller population numbers has on MM- this is about what I would assume are very fixable problems in H4 that just kill it.

I understood why Halo moved away from in game ranks (didn't agree with the execution), I got why the devs probably looked it and said "give them an inch they'll take a mile." But H4 going a foot in the other direction with these easy drop in/drop out lobbies and games have completely destroyed MM. DNF'ing is, IMO, the far biggest plague on this game, more so than any subjective gameplay issue.

I actually love plenty about H4. I don't play LAN, and my reaction every time I go back and play H2 or H3 is "my god, were the shots this random?" Hard to have perspective with how I see H4 in relation to the series; H4 has a lot I like, but MM is a punch to the stomach- it frequently won't let me enjoy the game.

When I do find a good match, often they back out to preserve that 95% win ratio. It's ridiculous to think how much time I spend in the lobby watching opponents back out.

Then there is this Top 200 TS. Cool idea, got me to bite. What a cesspool. You can actually preserve your CSR by DNF'ing, and negate any increase of your opponent. You can actually boost your CSR by having your winning team quit before the game ends. You have a system that practically screams the praises of quitting. I'm sure there are plenty of wonderful people that play Halo, but your typical person is always going to take that shortcut. I don't think the solution is to take away a great progression system, but to actually follow through and fix the holes- which wasn't done in Reach Arena, and hasn't been done now. I get the new studio thing, I get the focusing on upcoming projects, but there has to be some follow through on stuff like this. It happens in more games than not and it is disappointing. I actually WANT to invest my time in this, but that motivation is gone with over half of my games don't count, and the games that are much more likely to count are the ones I refuse to quit in.

The worst part is I assume it could be fairly quickly fixed. They had systems in place that addressed some of these problems in the GC. You can file this along side the other head-scratchers like bulletin updates that JIP has been tweaked, but I'm still joining doubles flag games down 2-nil with the opponent capping the third (just turn it off!).

I very much appreciate the level of interaction the devs have- but when it comes to issues like this it's rarely addressed, at best, it's thrown into a mysterious "will send this to the MM Systems team." Quinn does a really nice job answering what he is allowed to, but I really think it would be a huge plus for some transparency on issues like this. Maybe it's not possible to easily fix these things. Maybe this is a beta for whatever ranking system that some of them seem really excited over. But to me, as it currently stands, it looks like a problem that would take as much time to fix as it would for Bravo to interview Strongside after he won that truck doing the exact same DNF BS.

IHaveIce

Banned
You know what? I would feel more confident in the next game if I knew there is a custom game browser and the customization options are top notch.

Of course I didn't mean it that way lol.

I mean shit like disabling sprint and instant respawn at launch. :(

I know, i was just being cheeky. and i Hope we get all the customization like that that matters. like Damage modifiers, and Sprint/Flag toggle. and Red X at launch among a host of far more things.

Nowise10

You know what? I would feel more confident in the next game if I knew there is a custom game browser and the customization options are top notch.

The problem I had with this idea, is I feel like Matchmaking populations would dwindle down a huge amount, which I don't think would be good at all. I'm torn on it. One thing is, Custom games are really fun. The other hand is, Matchmaking will be more of a sidething, as you can play thousands of fun gametypes.

Would Matchmaking be the main place for competitive play, and custom games the casual gametypes?

The problem I had with this idea, is I feel like Matchmaking populations would dwindle down a huge amount, which I don't think would be good at all. I'm torn on it. One thing is, Custom games are really fun. The other hand is, Matchmaking will be more of a sidething, as you can play thousands of fun gametypes.

Would Matchmaking be the main place for competitive play, and custom games the casual gametypes?

That would be great, but i would accept Ranked/Social as well.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member

You're not alone. To this day the only Halo game I have not been able to beat on legendary is Halo 2. I've beat every other goddamn Halo on Legendary except 2. It is my Kryptonite.

That would be great, but i would accept Ranked/Social as well.

I'd rather not be stuck with being forced to play what the devs want us to without tediously setting up Custom Games. MM is a huge reason why we've had so many issues with Halo's multiplayer over the years, not necessarily only because of the base settings; we have no way of playing 110% speed without AA's on spawn and no custom loadouts unless we set up Custom Games online and hope for the best.

I know it doesn't have to be one or the other, but if it meant removing MM in order to get a CGB then I'd be all for it. Luckily, other games have shown us that they can coexist just fine so this doesn't have to be the case.

IHaveIce

Banned
I know, i was just being cheeky. and i Hope we get all the customization like that that matters. like Damage modifiers, and Sprint/Flag toggle. and Red X at launch among a host of far more things.
yeah I know you was :D
And all those are suoer important!

Well the only downside of few people in mm is to not be able to find a game, though this downside wouldn't exist anymore with a CGB

But yeah making MM the ranked and the browser social could also work.

I think being able to always find people for a your gametypes would also keep people playing the game

gAg CruSh3r

I really wish that they would have a custom game browser for the next Halo. Along with Rank and Social MM. I would be very excited for ranked MM alone but one can only dream.

Well the only downside of few people in mm is to not be able to find a game, though this downside wouldn't exist anymore with a CGB

Yeah, and as we've seen having only MM doesn't really stop that from happening anyway, not to mention the quality of said matches is usually subpar regardless. Population drops can also be attributed to the lack of options we have when our "vision" for Halo's multiplayer is drastically different from the developers, which is what we've seen with Halo 4 and past games' limitations. Matchmaking has been killing Halo's longevity for years and nothing has been done to improve it, and actually the reverse has happened by taking away options given to the players.

It's all backwards.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Yeah, and as we've seen having only MM doesn't really stop that from happening anyway, not to mention the quality of said matches is usually subpar regardless. Population drops can also be attributed to the lack of options we have when our "vision" for Halo's multiplayer is drastically different from the developers, which is what we've seen with Halo 4 and past games' limitations. Matchmaking has been killing Halo's longevity for years and nothing has been done to improve it, and actually the reverse has happened by taking away options given to the players.

It's all backwards.

Yup I know I'd find a server with old school settings and never leave it. I've always been for a CGB even when Bungie was at the helm and I'll always be for one even now. Give us options for both.

Halo used to be on those top games list back when it had tournaments or competitive players were streaming it. Or you know you could get a 343i designated Halo streamer to interact with your community. Nah just blow 50K on giving away a shitty truck. While you're at it turn your back on those competitive players because they are such a "niche" Those niche players that actually play your game and don't just buy it beat half the campaign and shelve it a week later.

1. Spectator Mode
2. Ranked Playlists (Visible In-game, with instant feedback) seperate from social playlists
3. Fuck Virgin Gaming, Get this shit back in MLG, UMG, and whatever other company wants to host a Halo tournament. Go there and respect their crowd.

BigShow36

1. Spectator Mode
2. Ranked Playlists (Visible In-game, with instant feedback) seperate from social playlists
3. Fuck Virgin Gaming, Get this shit back in MLG, UMG, and whatever other company wants to host a Halo tournament. Go there and respect their crowd.

All completely meaningless when the base game isn't skillful.

Halo used to be on those top games list back when it had tournaments or competitive players were streaming it. Or you know you could get a 343i designated Halo streamer to interact with your community. Nah just blow 50K on giving away a shitty truck. While you're at it turn your back on those competitive players because they are such a "niche" Those niche players that actually play your game and don't just buy it beat half the campaign and shelve it a week later.

1. Spectator Mode

I'd love to see it back at MLG. Sundance Legit loves Halo.

All completely meaningless when the base game isn't skillful.

Sure sure. As a Halo game some semblance of skill will be involved. Enough to play competitively at the very least.

Or you know, go pro, since you seem to be so great. Seriously lets be fair here. Some of us are bad here at HaloGAF some are OK, some are good, and some are really good. None of us are pro. We play online to win and have fun, we watch the tournaments of pros. We need a ranking system to play proper matches and brag online (and for the bad kids here they are happy with social existing). You need the other stuff to support the pro "niche" Thats about it. Thats why Halo 4 didn't hook any of us. There was nothing to do, nothing to prove. For the middle class.

Sure sure. As a Halo game some semblance of skill will be involved. Enough to play competitively at the very least.

Or you know, go pro, since you seem to be so great. Seriously lets be fair here. Some of us are bad here at HaloGAF some are OK, some are good, and some are really good. None of us are pro. We play online to win and have fun, we watch the tournaments of pros. We need a ranking system to play proper matches and brag online (and for the bad kids here they are happy with social existing). You need the other stuff to support the pro "niche" Thats about it. Thats why Halo 4 didn't hook any of us. There was nothing to do, nothing to prove. For the middle class.

Halo 4 didn't hook us because it wasn't the Halo game most of us wanted to play. Maybe for some it had to do with having "nothing to prove", but speaking for myself and I assume quite a few others it was about not enjoying the game itself.

Halo 4 didn't hook us because it wasn't the Halo game most of us wanted to play. Maybe for some it had to do with having "nothing to prove", but speaking for myself and I assume quite a few others it was about not enjoying the game itself.
Absolutely. It was so not the game I wanted to play, that now I'll most likely wait to hear GAF impressions before buying the game.

Though a beta would be really nice.

Yea that too I guess. Although tons of people kept saying "The core gameplay is good!" Even when Team Throwdown came out with mostly core gameplay nobody played. So was the core gameplay good?

Will we get good settings from the start? Who knows.

Lets not forget the maps. We need a much stronger map set from release!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom