• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Here's my memory: I had a ton more fun with Halo 2 than Halo 3. I favored Objective based games and Halo 2's handling of those games was much better than 3. The bomb/flag contesting, sudden death, etc. all made the game much better than the sequels.

The movement speed was also a huge thing that shouldn't be overlooked, and I liked the pure gameplay of Halo 2 without having equipment and AAs. The maps were the best in the series, especially the BTB maps which is the other area I enjoy the game the most.

I believe Halo 2's vehicle handling was also the best, though I really enjoyed the Chopper and Mongoose in Halo 3 as well.

Halo 2's biggest downfalls were the hackers and the netcode wasn't as good as it is now. I honestly believe if they remade Halo 2 like they did Halo CE that I would be playing it as my primary multiplayer game for the next several years.

*Edit* but like... kept the multiplayer intact and just updated the graphics

I like you :) contesting was amazing! It forced team play... Everyone had a job and the game turned into one of inches

One person contests, forces other team to open up their defense and gives opportunity to attack

When you return the flag you know you earned it, when you capture the flag... You definitely earned it.(unless you were flag bouncing on colossus)

And regarding cortana: I hope she becomes the main enemy.. By taking over requiem and basically goes insane...

TheOddOne

*Obvious ploy post to make Plywood reply*

Dat production design in Game of Thrones, season 2, episode 2:
90d70f90fdc3fa0e6175cee39ba518d123f53c0d.png

f40cd9fc3265d8a70e4975f06faec921304621ef.png

f2666c92af2034a8ee677073695313f6dfeed238.png
Something something Armour Lock sucks.

Tawpgun

I really don't like the idea of picking a primary.

Yeah it would get rid of me having to deal with AR starts... but my issue is that the DMR is also in the game. So I get people spawning with a mini sniper lite when I want BR on BR gameplay.

Yeah it would get rid of me having to deal with AR starts... but my issue is that the DMR is also in the game. So I get people spawning with a mini sniper lite when I want BR on BR gameplay.
To be fair™, we don't know if the DMR is 3x scope yet. If it is, I hope it's only a pick up. But I'm hoping for no 3x weapons at all.

Yeah its the rock paper scissors aspect of loadouts which worry me, clearly the BR/ DMR/ Carbine will have strengths and weaknesses against eachother, otherwise how can they all co-exist, thats what im not looking forward to.

But someone pointed out to me that in the trailer we clearly saw "slayer BR's" as the gametype, I assume thats classic mode, but if not I wonder how its all going to work.

Gazzawa

It was a horrible wast of time and resources.
Bad maps, bad spawns, bad loadouts.

Now they can use those resources to improve on the rest of the game, for example: final kill cam

Could have been thought out better. Fighting an uphill battle is fun. Climbing a mountain with one arm tied behind your back is not.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Frankie said that he fully expected the reaction he got, did you guys really sit around the office going, "Guys, the internet's going to hate this so much."

No, we said, "The internet always hates stuff, but the internet will think x is y and hate it until they try it or until we can reveal more detail."

Then we chatted with marketing and changed the name to John Carter 117.

I'd just like to point out that the Invasion game-type and maps have not been altered/updated/changed in anyway over the course of Reach's life span. With the exception of the bomb arm time fix on Breakpoint. I think this is because it simply doesn't need to be updated, because no-one complains about it's original state, and the game-type and maps have no major flaws.

Invasion takes all the concepts, mechanics, weapons and vehicles that Reach introduced into the sandbox, applies them in a balanced, fair, campaign-tied/story enriched, and fun to play manner. With each phase, players are forced to adapt to different play styles, as added dimensions, objectives and hazards are added. Tactics are important, and the game encourages team work, strategic game-play, and a wide array of tactics.

Additionally, vehicles play best in Invasion than any other game-mode, as well as most of the Armor abilities.

That is why I like Invasion.

Overdoziz

Banned
No, we said, "The internet always hates stuff, but the internet will think x is y and hate it until they try it or until we can reveal more detail."

Wouldn't you think it would be a better idea if you would reveal those things people will likely hate at a point at which you can be more clear about it? Right now people are hearing things they don't like and you guys can't tell us the details yet.

I'd just like to point out that the Invasion game-type and maps have not been altered/updated/changed in anyway over the course of Reach's life span. With the exception of the bomb arm time fix on Breakpoint. I think this is because it simply doesn't need to be updated, because no-one complains about it's original state, and the game-type and maps have no major flaws.

Invasion takes all the concepts, mechanics, weapons and vehicles that Reach introduced into the sandbox, applies them in a balanced, fair, campaign-tied/story enriched, and fun to play manner. With each phase, players are forced to adapt to different play styles, as added dimensions, objectives and hazards are added. Tactics are important, and the game encourages team work, strategic game-play, and a wide array of tactics.

Additionally, vehicles play best in Invasion than any other game-mode, as well as most of the Armor abilities.

There's so much wrong with this post.

Oh Frank, you and your subtle soothing words.

Wouldn't you think it would be a better idea if you would reveal those things people will likely hate at a point at which you can be more clear about it? Right now people are hearing things they don't like and you guys can't tell us the details yet.

Yeahhh, even though I raged as hard or harder than everyone else ever when I heard all this stuff. I'm looking forward to the day where I can hopefully go "remember when we thought Halo 4 was CoD in Space?"

I'm like an abused wife when it comes to Halo since Halo 3, I get really mad and disappointed, but just keep coming back.

/Forever Hopeful :'D

Hey You

Was it this week that we are getting the new Sparkcast?

You could still have Invasion-style scenarios without Elites, and it could be even more fun.

Yep, I hope it returns.

And how the heck do I find out what the challenges for the day on the Waypoint website?

So, about that elevator sequence... Is it a QTE? Or are you still "completely" in control albeit with a context-sensitive set of motions? Such as, moving the stick around to climb in certain directions and pressing A to jump up to the next rung?

Because the latter could be pretty cool.

Yeah I dont like the idea of QTE's in campaign either, that would kill the re playability. Im not sure what I think of the sequences they told us about, if they are similar to the awesome Elite moment in Reach thats cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FLUEhEXbUM

But I think I only liked it so much because it was a one off, if it happens multiple times a level it would just get annoying more than anything. Really in Reach those sequences replaced cutscenes, to provide a transition but from the sounds of it in H4 something as simple as trying to go a doorway could trigger one of those events. Im not sure if I would like that.

Halo 1 had a moment in the Silent Cartographer where a cutscene played if you looked over the edge of something, if the moments are used as sparingly as that it will be brilliant.

daedalius

QTEs in Halo would annoy me more than random weapon spawns.

Just as well neither of these things are in the game, right guys??

Its probably just a first person cinematic.

Welp, armor lock is gone.

We can only hope. I still really dislike camo, but vanilla AL was probably worse. Jetpacks just break maps that aren't built for them.

Hopefully xray vision reveals camo'd scrubs, so if someone is really abusing camo you can switch to xray to kill them a few times then switch back.

Trey

QTEs in Halo would annoy me more than random weapon spawns.

Yeah, fuck that shit. I would put QTEs and random weapon spawns (as I envision them) on the top of my do not want list.

He's right though. That post does not have a single sentence or point in it that's correct.

Him liking Invasion is incorrect? Damn.

cross-thread edit: Oh shit, AL is gone. I never used you, but I didn't hate you. You actually gave me plenty of free kills as people were just useless with you, so thanks for that. Pouring one out. Fist to ground, never forget.

lol @ kittens' "Spartan Lock".

Him liking Invasion is incorrect? Damn.

Scientifically proven, University of bobs did all the research, all signs point towards Invasion players having palaeoecological problems in later life. (Sorry Gabo)
I did try and type physcological problems, but my browser threw in that weird autocorrect, I think invasion players would grow up to study rocks and fossils, if they can stand playing invasion though lol

The mode was abandoned, there was no saving it. I cant believe your saying the lack of attention means its near perfect lol. Plenty of people have complained, but ultimately I dont think anyone can think of a way to 'save' the mode. Its a drain on resources and should just die.

Reach tactics are a joke, and Invasion steps this up, every game plays the same. Camping, using AA's and abusing power weapons have replaced the need for tactics.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

You have no idea why Invasion has not been touched. Invasion has many flaws.

You accredit Invasion with being rich in story. Show me a single shred of evidence for this claim. Invasion has the bare bones component of any multiplayer mode, devoid of any fictional ties. Elites fighting Spartans in Invasion is as much enriched with story as Red versus Blue in the other multiplayer mode. Nothing.

Reach's sandbox is horribly imbalanced and Invasion makes no effort to conceal this nor does it use the sandbox in some unique fashion to make it's quality or esteem rise in anyone's eyes. Armour Lock is still broken. Evade is still sickening. Jet-pack is still stupid.

Invasion may string together different games modes into a single battle but it quickly becomes stale and tired. The freshness of of it's unique qualities dies in haste, more so when Invasion presents each gametype in poorer quality than each gametype presented by itself in traditional multiplayer.

Tactics, what a laugh. Every damm game of Invasion plays out the same. The rush of power weapons and vehicles generally determines the outcomes every time. Failure to adhere to abuse of such cheap "tactics" usually results in a crushing and prolonged defeat.

Invasion is a failure. The amount of resources and time spent developing it came at a dire costs to other areas in the game that needed it badly. Invasion was originally intended to have a much higher player count and when the game couldn't support it, no significant changes were made to the existing, shipping Invasion play spaces.

That means that the majority of Invasion maps are simply empty, hollow, drab and lifeless environments devoid of gameplay and player attention. The hubris of pushing the mode so hard meant pushing such grotesque insults into other modes. Playing BTB games on Invasion maps is akin to hitting oneself in sensitive area repeatedly - a few, perverted folks might enjoy such acts, but the majority simply do not.

Invasion also serves as a magnifying glass when looking at Reach's damaged sandbox. Cross-mapping. Warthog aerobatics. Paper thin Banshee armour and nuke bombs. Teams full of Armour Locking, shotgun wielding killjoys. Camo snipers. Spartan Lasers. Unbalanced death tanks.

Invasion really is the poster child of why a great number of folks are intensely dissatisfied with Reach.

=P

I laughed my ass off, good joke post, bro.

At first I just kinda smiled and shook my head, then went I got to the sandbox being balanced/fair, I couldn't hold it in anymore

Its probably just a first person cinematic.

Well, but it says:

Built to offer exciting action moments independent of combat, players remain in control as unique situations unfold.

Personally, I think those moments could be great for the immersion, but they have to strike a fine balance in order to avoid that they become annoying during replays.
Consider me mildly interested, though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Reach was a natural next step in the evolution of Halo, and while I admire 343 for experimenting with armor modifications and armor abilities, I'm ENRAGED that they removed armor lock. Sticky grenades may as well be classified as a power weapon now. So unbalanced. Halo 4 pre-order cancelled, Halo 1/2/3/ODST/Wars/Reach/Anniversary discs have all been Trounce'd. Halo is dead to me.

Top Bottom