• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Fracas

#fuckonami
Can you list what you used, wanna do it:D

Sure, no problem!

Armor Color-Sage for both primary and secondary
Base Mark VI Helmet/Gold visor
Recon Shoulders
Default Chestplate
Grenadier Knee Guards
Default Wrist
Default Utility

I believe that's everything

He said something along the lines of:
"Customize not only the aesthetics of your spartan, but also have gameplay impacting changes, to allow you to customize your spartan to suit your playstyle."

bailout.gif
hype-100
franklezfixyourshit

While im still nervous about the perks thing, im glad they want to keep campaign a bit of a mystery but are going to certainly show multiplayer stuff.

Thermite

"Customize not only the aesthetics of your spartan, but also have gameplay impacting changes, to allow you to customize your spartan to suit your playstyle."

1325704427241b0xfd.gif

bailout.gif
hype-100
franklezfixyourshit

I'm hoping for a minimum of jetpack, camo, and armor lock deletion, and the return to timed-pickups for camo and overshield.

(And delete grunt birthday party and heart armor effects. Seriously.. the circus is fun for a day.. but you don't want to live there unless you're a clown.)

While im still nervous about the perks thing, im glad they want to keep campaign a bit of a mystery but are going to certainly show multiplayer stuff.

Frankie said you'd be able to tweak game settings so that you can play classic halo, I bet a H2 experience of hitscan BR and agile spartans could be achieved, I also expect to have one or two classic playlists so that's good news for you I guess.

Classic and "Reachesque" Halo can both have a place in H4 imho.

343 are very talented, let them do some crazy, never seen in a FPS before shit.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, when it comes to the boxart, I would love it to be one of Sparth's environment concept art. Nothing else.

Yes please.

Also: I really hope the not-perks don't ruin Halo 4 multiplayer.

Arnie

So looking at the prospect of customisable abilities in a competitive environment there are positives to go with the inherent negative that immediately occur.

Look at popular sports, are teams always balanced? No. Do players on each team have the same abilities? No. So is it nailed on that in a competitive game everyone should be on an absolute equal footing when it comes to base abilities? Not necessarily.

Now I understand the instant fears. I have them as well. As soon as I heard about AA in Reach I panicked. To me, coming from Halo 2 and 3, Halo works so well because you know the options in your opponents arsenal, you know how long it would take to drop them, how high they can jump to evade and how fast they can move to reach cover, or capture a flag, or reach a weapon.

Let's say the customisable abilities shuffle players into roles, for example, you can make you Spartan particularly good for capturing flags with slightly advanced speed but a tiny bit less health. And you can give a character the ability to reload slightly faster. These things could factor into competitive Halo quite a lot, with teams consisting of four distinct roles.

This does pose a problem in multiplayer when your team is three other players who've tricked out their Spartans to be extra good at sniping, for example, and you get rolled by an opposing team who've lucked out with players of contrasting and complimenting abilities.

Thermite

Frankie said you'd be able to tweak game settings so that you can play classic halo, I bet a H2 experience of hitscan BR and agile spartans could be achieved, I also expect to have one or two classic playlists so that's good news for you I guess.

My worry with this is, if there are playlists that support classic Halo gameplay, will there be enough people playing it to support such a playlist and will the maps, that are undoubtedly being designed for what 343 is primarily making Halo 4 to be, play well with classic settings (as an oversimplified example, maps that are too big need sprint and maps that are more vertically based for thruster usage, etc)?

Overdoziz

Banned

343 are very talented, let them do some crazy, never seen in a FPS before shit.
I was surprised that Reach didn't launch with an AA-free playlist. How long did it take until they put a Classic playlist in?

Best bit of info is that he says the game is built around a "new engine." Nothing more specific..

It's a good interview though, Josh really speaks gud.

bailout.gif
hype-100
franklezfixyourshit

Thanks guys.

Anyway, Nomis over on HBO, decided to make clearer what he thinks the layout of Warhouse will be based on the heat map.

Click for big.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I like your ideas Arnie, and I agree that it could be balanced. But I'm pretty nervous about it. I know these not-perks (lol) are tied to cosmetic armor pieces, but I'm still worried that I won't know what kind of Spartan I'm going up against in a one on one battle.

Need more info.

My worry with this is, if there are playlists that support classic Halo gameplay, will there be enough people playing it to support such a playlist and will the maps, that are undoubtedly being designed for what 343 is primarily making Halo 4 to be, play well with classic settings (as an oversimplified example, maps that are too big need sprint and maps that are more vertically based for thruster usage, etc)?

Too much micro-management can be a problem, leaving nobody happy.

So looking at the prospect of customisable abilities in a competitive environment there are positives to go with the inherent negative that immediately occur.

*snip*

I dunno, it doesn't seem allowing the player to choose game-changing abilities works very well in the Halo universe. Bungie/343 have been trying to make Reach balanced since the beta test, and kept tweaking up until Anniversary. Finally, MLG just removed bloom and AA entirely to try to get something competitive out of it.

Halo is traditionally a competitive game, and the skill of the player was largely the deciding element. Faster reflexes, better hand-eye coordination, decision making. A game like Halo has very careful balancing.. just look at how long they tweaked the Halo 3 sniper rifle.. the Bungie guy gave a lecture on it.

A game like CoD is unbalanced, but it is DESIGNED to be unbalanced... people play to get kill-streaks, which then reward you with more kills.

I hope 343 gets the balance right, and keeps the competitive aspect of Halo 2 and 3 intact.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt. As much as I adore Halo, it needs to evolve more than ever. Now there is a way to do it that doesn't trash the core of Halo, hopefully 343 is able to accomplish that.

Different ways to evolve, the idea of customization which affects gameplay is clearly at the very least influenced by CoD. Why not innovate down an avenue that no one else has though of, Halo should be setting trends not following them.

Despite that last paragraph im withholding judgement till we get to see gameplay. I just hope all the creatives over at 343 thought of some interesting ways to make that work with Halo. I dont think it can be done personally, but ill wait and see what the more creative people think up. (While I wonder why they didnt just create a new model which potentially does fit Halo better.)

Yes, but we can't be playing Halo 2/3 over again. Well that is my opinion. We already had those two games, it is time to move on and explore new things that hopefully lead to something better.

Not all change is good. I am up for change, but im sceptical of change for the sake of change. Or change which doesnt quite retain the core gameplay that made me a fan in the first place. Change which enhances the general stuff that made me a fan will make my day though.

Yes, but we can't be playing Halo 2/3 over again. Well that is my opinion. We already had those two games, it is time to move on and explore new things that hopefully lead to something better.

Ya know, not to say you're wrong or anything, but if you replace "Halo" with "Sonic", you can see the dangerous road this can lead to.

I think we have a right to be nervous or cautious whenever a change in mentioned and we don't know how it will effect the game. It's natural.

Overdoziz

Banned
I think in Halo you should win by what you do in the match itself. For me Halo is all about starting on an even playingfield. Too many times in Reach people have advantages in situations simply because they chose a different Armor Ability at spawn. This is the biggest thing that Reach did wrong in my eyes, loadouts. Making them pick-ups would've made the game so much better. That way people would have to 'earn' certain abilities and weapons.

Arnie

Good points. Conceivably I can't see myself liking the customisable aspects come launch, in fact I know I won't, because that's just not how I like my Halo.

If the customisation was restricted to roles like Flag Runner, Main Slayer, Map Control etc. Then I could sort of see it fitting. As it is though I can just see 343 including a range of cosmetic based buffs that don't make much sense and as a result reduce the competitive aspect.

Like a pair of gauntlets that allow you to jump a metre higher. Or a cod piece that allows you to withstand an extra set of BR rounds.

How Is Your Day Posted this, I TAKE NO CREDIT

So I just read the new Game Informer. I just wanted to tell you my take on some of the features they'll be adding or taking away. I won't explain the beginning of the story as I don't think I can do justice to accurately describing it. Of course, if you want to experience and don't want to have that experience spoiled then leave this page.

LAST WARNING, THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS (sorta)

Spartan Points

Spartan Points is the new currency system in Halo 4. They will buy things such as armor, armor abilities, Spartan Ops missions (see below), and some

Spartan Ops

This was probably my most favorite addition I saw. From how it was described, think fo Spartan Ops like Spec Ops from Modern Warfare but with a storyline. They will span out over several months, encouraging players to return to the game. Game Informer said that Spartan Ops will be comparable in scope and size to the in single-player storyline.

Why Reds Fight Blues

I think most of us probably guessed this, but reds fight blues and blues fight reds for training purposes. They fight in something called the UNSC Infinity. The UNSC Infinity is a 3km long ship sent into deep space on a mission. It contains a virtual reality sector that creates the multiplayer experience.

Sprint

So not only is sprint in the game, but it is a standard armor ability. You do not need to pick it up, it will always be available. You do not need to buy it with your Spartan Points, you will always have it equipped no matter what. So essentially, you can have two armor abilities.

Forerunner Vision

Ever wanted to be super man? Now you can! See through walls with your x-ray vision! I can't say I hate this armor ability, I haven't used it yet. I'm hoping it comes with its weaknesses and it discourages camping. Sorry guys, but camping in Halo 4 will not be a legitimate tactic.

Returning Armor Abilities

The hologram, jetpack, and active camo will make a return in Halo 4. It didn't elaborate on the abilities, but you can probably assume they'll be about the same.

Elites Not Returning to Multiplayer

Not much detail was given as to why elites will not see multiplayer combat, it was stated in a picture caption. The caption reads, "Competitive multiplayer focues on the Spartan IVs. Elites will not be playable.

Grenades

Now the article itself did not talk about grenades, but I noticed in the picture the Spartan had 4 grenade options. I assume the plasma grenade will return as seen from an explosion in the picture and the frag grenade will most definitely return as seen by the Halo 4 first look video.

Firefight

Once again, no explanation why aside from a picture caption. The caption read, "Halo 4's campaign is still playable with four players online (in reference to Sparan Ops, ensuring players that Spartan Ops will not replace the campaign coop experience). 343 Industries has no plans to include a dedicated Firefight mode. I'm torn on this, I don't normally play firefight, but I feel like it is a standard necessary feature in the game after Halo 3: ODST introduced it.

Regicide

Regicide is a variation of free for all. I think it's similar to VIP. Regicide, as stated by the article, "sets the leading scorer as the king. Every opponent that the king kills raises his bounty; other players have to kill the king to claim the reward."

Distraction and Revenge Medals

Don't feel bad anymore for not killing a single person in the game, you can get a medal for being a distraction! Oh, you just got killed and now you're raging at that player? Calm down and get rewarded for hunting down the guy that just killed you!

Let me make it clear that I do not necessarily see these medals as bad. They just may reward people that don't actually deserve one.

No More Weapon Camping

One the skills that separated veteran players from inexperienced players was the ability to time power weapons' spawns. In Halo 4, this will be near impossible. Weapons drop down in drop pods at random locations around the map. Quoted from the article, "This gives the matches other focal points, and it also helps alleviate the advantage longtime players always used to have over newer recruits; the best weapons are not always going to be found at the same spawn locations." Unless there is a distinguishable skill gap between players, I most definitely do not like this idea.

No More Respawn Delay

Immediately after you die, by tapping the X button you are sent back into the match. Now let's contemplate why this might be bad. Let's say Halo spawns are... not so great. A skilled player out BRs/DMRs/whatevers a unskilled player. Now that unskilled player can immediately respawn and find you before your shields even regenerate! I understand 343 is trying to speed up the game, but they must understand the consequences of instant spawns.

Joining In-Progress Games

So to solve the quitting problem, 343 implemented the ability to join games that are in-progress. My question is are we going to have the ability to search for games starting up instead? It infuriates me to join a game at the last possible second, not even offering me the chance to play.

I'll be updating this post as I see fit. Feel free to correct me, add your own insight, or add what I may have missed.

astonished to be honest :(

Fracas

#fuckonami
Frankie/David, please get in here and say this is fake.
Please.
Please.
Please!
If any of this is real, I...I just can't.

Top Bottom