• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
iboWEv61DbPzhO.gif

I'm sure they've balanced them out and they have different strengths and weaknesses. Gears 3 allows you to choose between three rifles for start-up, and it works rather well, they're all perfectly viable and balanced against each other.

The Assault Rifle...yeah, IDK. Maybe it's your secondary weapon or some shit.

I get the feeling that there will be numerous starting class weapons to choose from, probably something like this:

-Precision Class (DMR, BR, Carbine, etc)
or
-Assault Class (AR, Assualt Carbine, SMG(?), etc)
and
-Side arm (pistol variations, and maybe even something like the missile pistol from the trailer)

I would guess that a few weapons would play in between the two classes of primary, but with most secondaries having limited functionality, though they may see some unique diversity. Already, knowing the system plays out as a mix between Black Ops where you buy/unlock weapons and Gears 3 where you are limited to certain types of weapons tells me Halo 4 may see a larger count of weapons compared to past titles.

Ramirez

I've said it before, but they need to just go ahead and add camo skins/scopes for weapons into the game. Go crazy with them like Gears did, stuff like that is harmless to the overall game, and I actually enjoy unlocks like that. Just don't charge 100 dollars for all of them like Gears, make them free. :p

Ryaaan14

Banned
I get the feeling that there will be numerous starting class weapons to choose from, probably something like this:

or
and
-Side arm (pistol variations, and maybe even something like the missile pistol from the trailer)

I would guess that a few weapons would play in between the two classes of primary, but with most secondaries having limited functionality, though they may see some unique diversity. Already, knowing the system plays out as a mix between Black Ops where you buy/unlock weapons and Gears 3 where you are limited to certain types of weapons tells me Halo 4 may see a larger count of weapons compared to past titles.

I hope you meant to group those together to form loadouts, and not as your loadout options...

I expect shots to kill will be the same, but some guns (DMR?) might shoot slower, making kill times slower. This is just speculation.

The DMR had 15 shots in the magazine clip in the screenshot from the GI mag, so it's probably 5sk. I assume that 5sk lines up to be able to the same kill time as the 4sk BR though, so your choice between those weapons is just if you want a burst or single fire weapon.

Haha I know you've been dying to use that.

CyReN

Absolutely. I've really appreciated 343 folks jumping in and offering clarification. I've got my complaints and my reservations, but I'm feeling better about stuff.

Agreed, some clarification was nice. Hope they get their podcast out soon to clear out some stuff, big sites (ie IGN) have already began publishing the new info and from the comments people aren't happy, but are they ever..

Ramirez

The DMR had 15 shots in the magazine clip in the screenshot from the GI mag, so it's probably 5sk. I assume that 5sk lines up to be able to the same kill time as the 4sk BR though, so your choice between those weapons is just if you want a burst or single fire weapon.

Or it's a slower kill time, but greater range?

or
and

Oh god please give me that supposedly shorter, more close combat version of the AR that was talked about in the books.

Computron

Aww, is HaloGAF Sad?!?!

Hmmmmmmm, let me think....

hmmm.....

OH!

I know what will cheer you guys up!

How about five, no... NINE HALO 4 BATTLE RIFLES:

From Computron;
To: HaloGAF
ibbb8QWWNCQkKS.gif

Yummy.

Or it's a slower kill time, but greater range?

Yes, possible, but my thinking is based off the idea that now that you can choose your starting weapon, they may be wanting to give users some different starting weapon based on simple preference than making sure these starting weapons are all different in the sandbox.

Source: NeoGAF, lol

I fell like that's on half of video game site articles I look at these days.

feel

Wish the BR was still black with the same blue shade as H2/H3 on the scope. The new black DMR with the vivid green scope and screen looks so good (scope is a bit weird but I don't hate it).

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Steam Punk Chief looks pretty good too.

Steam punk Warthog takes a half hour to hit the temperature necessary to move it. Not really useful in a fight, but always a hit at geek conventions.

Edit: Also, not gonna lie, I spent 15 minutes in the office today just listening to the sound of the new sniper rifle fired from various distances/angles. God tier.

Tawpgun

Trying to figure out what the fuck is the downside to Forerunner Vision.

Only thing I can think of is you need to stand still to see clearly. Otherwise its a jumbled mess.

Wish the BR was still black with the same blue shade as H2/H3 on the scope. The new black DMR with the vivid green scope and screen looks so good (scope is a bit weird but I don't hate it).

I remember back when those Reach screenshots first leaked, thinking about how weird the DMR looked. But it was new, fresh, I liked it.

lybertyboy

Only thing I can think of is you need to stand still to see clearly. Otherwise its a jumbled mess.

Trust me, you'll understand when you see it. Which might not be soon since we're still locking down the visuals on it.

Computron

In case anyone was wondering, That's the Halo 4 BR I was building and posting earlier, except that one is only 6k polygons (with a 2k^2 normals map) instead of 2.5 million polys.

Its not perfect yet, It's got no custom UVs, and lottsa projection errors to fix.

After I get the bake down perfect, I will start on to texturing.

I've been really busy so I didn't have much time to work on it.

Forerunner Shield -- renders player undetectable by Forerunner Vision ;^)

It was great to meet everyone at PAX!

One could interpret the "new missions after release" strategy as meaning they simply won't be done by the time the game ships. Or, there wasn't room on the disc for them.
This could be it or part of it, but if the Spartan Ops missions are meant to be MP co-op rolling them out gradually would likely keep the "Spartan Ops" playlist and the newest Ops well populated on a week to week basis.

I've been wondering whether these weekly SpartOps installments will be unlocking disk locked content, or DLC.
Well, if you were going to recycle environments from the campaign portion of the game, this would be the context in which to do it. Basically "A Different Way to Campaign" made into an official part of the game/narrative. Sounds fun. This also opens the door for Halo 4: ODST to return with "classic firefight" in 2014.

No it means being totally awesome and everyone making fun of you for it
This almost caused me to choke to death on a hot pocket. I live in a palace made of pretzel bread and spinach+cheese. Envy me HaloGAF.

Active Camo being back as a thing anyone can pick is a stunning thing as well, camo snipers are the worst. Juices secretly masturbated to that bit of info.
This caused me to nearly choke to death on the dessert I was eating. I feel like the weasels from Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

It's just hilarious to me that the flaws of 2 are completely over looked by most people in here who spout it as the gift from the gods.
That's just how memory works. People generally edit out the bad things from the past to make room in their brains for the good things. I'm looking forward to 2018 when we are singing the praises of Powerhouse and the "simpler", more "pure" AA's from Reach.

I hope you meant to group those together to form loadouts, and not as your loadout options...
Im a little confused about what you are asking, but I realize I was unclear. I imagine for your primary weapon you will be able to choose from numerous weapons that would fit into the two "classes" of weapons I outlined, while secondary would be limited to pistols and other like guns.

First Halo that allows you to carry more than two weapons (excluding turrets and duel wielding)?

Nope, like I said above, the first two I listed were speculated primary weapon choices, third was the secondary category.

Oh god please give me that supposedly shorter, more close combat version of the AR that was talked about in the books.
Some are speculating the Assault Carbine mentioned by GI is that gun. I would be a happy person, as I posted about wanting a gun like that a few times.

I imagine it being very short ranged, and screwing with the colors like in visr mode, basically causing more distraction than direction. It would still be useful, but if you get caught in a firefight it will screw you. Of course, this is just speculation, but I doubt they just put perfect xray vision in and called it a day.

Im a little confused about what you are asking, but I realize I was unclear. I imagine for your primary weapon you will be able to choose from numerous weapons that would fit into the two "classes" of weapons I outlined, while secondary would be limited to pistols and other like guns.

Nope, like I said above, the first two I listed were speculated primary weapon choices, third was the secondary category.

Some are speculating the Assault Carbine mentioned by GI is that gun. I would be a happy person, as I posted about wanting a gun like that a few times.

I imagine it being very short ranged, and screwing with the colors like in visr mode, basically causing more distraction than direction. It would still be useful, but if you get caught in a firefight it will screw you. Of course, this is just speculation, but I doubt they just put perfect xray vision in and called it a day.

Man oh man, if they slapped a silencer on it I could die happy. I miss the ODST weapons.

feel

Frankie said that he fully expected the reaction he got, did you guys really sit around the office going, "Guys, the internet's going to hate this so much."
"You know how the Halo devs always have these great ideas and they're sure the players are gonna love them, and they kinda do at first but they end up hating them when they play the game? Let's go in the complete opposite direction this time and see how that goes."

Halo 4 to be mp game of the forever. BELI343

Trust me, you'll understand when you see it. Which might not be soon since we're still locking down the visuals on it.
Can you say when the Gameinformer screenshots (and possibly other new ones) will be hitting the web?

lybertyboy

Frankie said that he fully expected the reaction he got, did you guys really sit around the office going, "Guys, the internet's going to hate this so much."

We fully expected certain segments of the Halo community would have questions & concerns about some content in that particular article. One of the greatest strengths of the Halo fanbass is its diversity. What one segment cherishes as the epitome of what "makes Halo, Halo" another will dismiss in a heartbeat as fluff, or dumbing down or reducing "skill gap."

We have our vision for this Halo experience. We know we'll make some mistakes along the way, and we can't please each and everyone of the millions of people who play Halo with every feature. That being said, I believe the game we're making is special. It retains the essence and feeling of Halo while injecting an energy into the moment to moment gameplay experience that keeps me coming back for more. Even when I don't need to keep playing, I find myself loading up my Spartan IV and once again going to battle.

Ramirez

Well, after playing Arena, I can safely say for myself that 343 would have to try really hard to make a game as frustrating and unsatisfying as Reach. Bloom is so bad, good lord.

Top Bottom