• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Blops 2 will outsell Halo 4 on 360, and probably by at least 5 million copies.

Hey, 343 wanted to chase COD money. Now it's go time. We'll see how the market reacts to two futury multiplayer FPS games released on the same day, one from a franchise that they kinda remember playing 6 years ago when there were no other games out (or when they were 7 years old), and the other from a franchise that all their friends play for 4 hours a day.

When you come at the king, you best not miss. I see a lot of replication in H4, but not much to sway people over.

Talk about doom and gloom.

i remember the ads when they came out, and i actually just recently purchased bulletstorm. the single player was actually pretty fun.
yeah, enjoyed the hell out of that game my first play through. doesnt really lend itself to replay much though IMO. maybe the score run mode...
The demo was stupidly fun. I may have to pick up the game at some point soon.
I was playing through it recently. Despite it based around trying to vary up your means of killing enemies, I felt like kicking and headshotting was just all I had to really do. The kick itself is really weird because it's so blatantly used as a setup that it actually gets in my way more than anything. I would try to kick someone off an edge and they'd be floating in front of me in slow motion for 5 seconds before actually falling. It got to the point where I'd go for the kick and run away on the faith that they'd fall to their death. Totally took the satisfaction out of it.

Rtas

Blops 2 will outsell Halo 4 on 360, and probably by at least 5 million copies.

Hey, 343 wanted to chase COD money. Now it's go time. We'll see how the market reacts to two futury multiplayer FPS games released on the same day, one from a franchise that they kinda remember playing 6 years ago when there were no other games out (or when they were 7 years old), and the other from a franchise that all their friends play for 4 hours a day.

When you come at the king, you best not miss. I see a lot of replication in H4, but not much to sway people over.

I see a lot of replication in COD as well particularly in the multiplayer which hasn't changed since COD 4. Saying COD is the king is all well and good but you have to remember Halo 3 had the biggest launch in entertainment history and sold the most copies of any game to date. I'm sorry but Halo has been and always will be, the biggest selling game on Xbox, particularly now that the Masterchief is back, his absence being the reason why many people didn't touch ODST, Halo Wars or Reach.

Speaking as a fan of both the COD franchise and the Halo franchise I really just don't think COD will be able to stand up to this new Halo trilogy. Especially now that MW3's ending wrapped things up nicely in the story department and that BLOPS will be taking over the franchise, considering the problems a lot of people had with BLOPS I honestly don't think it's sequel will sell as well as Halo 4 in the long run or even on day one. Its just getting to the point where COD is recycling its old gameplay over and over, whereas Halo has been changed quite drastically since Halo 3, the inclusion of armour abilities, new game modes etc etc. Whether that change is for the better or not, is irrelevant it is still change, and people will notice that.

GhaleonEB

Link your gamertag with Bungie.net and play a game in Halo: Reach Matchmaking. 3000 cR​

Might be a good idea to retire that one, guys

"This game has a million and one cool ways to kill somebody, but I decided to just play it as boring as possible. Meh"
Generally I'll try to explore my possibilities, but I didn't really see much. I liked the sniper rounds that made the controllable remote detonated ragdolls, but otherwise it seemed like my creativity was stifled because the game so heavily pushed that the kick and leash effectively served the same purpose: to get people in front of you in slow motion to headshot.

ElRenoRaven

I would. During the Christmas Steam sale I picked it up and had a blast with the Single Player. It really is a good game. It does what it sets out to do very well which is be an over the top macho action flick of a game. The dialog is corny as all hell but it's obviously supposed to be. The gameplay is damn good though too.

It's just a shame it's not getting a sequel because the end really set it up for one.

I see a lot of replication in COD as well particularly in the multiplayer which hasn't changed since COD 4. Saying COD is the king is all well and good but you have to remember Halo 3 had the biggest launch in entertainment history and sold the most copies of any game to date. I'm sorry but Halo has been and always will be, the biggest selling game on Xbox, particularly now that the Masterchief is back, his absence being the reason why many people didn't touch ODST, Halo Wars or Reach.

Speaking as a fan of both the COD franchise and the Halo franchise I really just don't think COD will be able to stand up to this new Halo trilogy. Especially now that MW3's ending wrapped things up nicely in the story department and that BLOPS will be taking over the franchise, considering the problems a lot of people had with BLOPS I honestly don't think it's sequel will sell as well as Halo 4 in the long run or even on day one. Its just getting to the point where COD is recycling its old gameplay over and over, whereas Halo has been changed quite drastically since Halo 3, the inclusion of armour abilities, new game modes etc etc. Whether that change is for the better or not, is irrelevant it is still change, and people will notice that.

I think you set too much store in MC and the wider public: CoD will continue to be enormous irrespective of Halo's new trilogy. An almost total lack of meaningful change between CoD4 and MW3 hasn't dented sales at all.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

dunno what it goes for, but i'll sell mine 15 shipped. if you can find it elsewhere for cheaper, ignore. i'd rather keep it then sell it for less ;)

I was playing through it recently. Despite it based around trying to vary up your means of killing enemies, I felt like kicking and headshotting was just all I had to really do. The kick itself is really weird because it's so blatantly used as a setup that it actually gets in my way more than anything. I would try to kick someone off an edge and they'd be floating in front of me in slow motion for 5 seconds before actually falling. It got to the point where I'd go for the kick and run away on the faith that they'd fall to their death. Totally took the satisfaction out of it.

i think you were playing it wrong. its definitely a game where if you play like any other shooter, which kinda sounds like how you did, you wont get much out of it. but if you play with variety of kills in mind and always looking for creative ways to handle encounters, its vastly better.

i think you were playing it wrong. its definitely a game where if you play like any other shooter, which kinda sounds like how you did, you wont get much out of it. but if you play with variety of kills in mind and always looking for creative ways to handle encounters, its vastly better.
I definitely felt like I was missing something, as I was trying to use all the abilities available. It just seemed like pretty typical shooting on that side of things, and the sliding, leashing and kicking all did the exact same thing: had someone floating in front of you in slow motion. That was the primary reason why I couldn't get much out of the combat, when I actually wanted to manipulate the encounter with those maneuvers, it always resulted in the same thing. When people are levitating in front of me for that long, there's nothing left for me to do than just shoot them. So I mean, if you had some different experience with it I'd like to hear it as I'd be willing to try and understand what makes the game stand out.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I think you set too much store in MC and the wider public: CoD will continue to be enormous irrespective of Halo's new trilogy. An almost total lack of meaningful change between CoD4 and MW3 hasn't dented sales at all.

i know its anecdotal, but all me RLFs bought mw3 and have definitely been feeling cod fatigue lately. i wouldnt be surprised if bo2 sells considerably less than mw3 (but still obviously have huge numbers) due to this. my friends still play cod, but they are playing bo mainly. maybe people are finally realizing if the game is solid, they dont need to update every year.

to go along with the last page and a hald of speculation on the topic, heres my take; cod bo2 will outsell h4 on 360, but not as much as the trend over the last couple of years would indicate. also, h4 will be the biggest halo game to date.

Probably would have been better had I not left on Thursday; things get unclear after several days, and I'm sorry.

Nevertheless:

Impressions from last week's Halo 4 event

thanks wu. reading now

So, BLOPS2 has a walking Elephant:

blops23.jpg

Check out Rens' Portfolio, He's got all you would want in this case.

Here's some of his Halo work:

P83Cf.jpg

j6TPZ.jpg

LijAM.jpg

EyF5T.jpg

sSBM9.jpg

Amazing.

He's working at DICE now on BF3.
That AR looks amazing, it actually looks like a real gun made of metal, with an awesome attention to detail. Also, that Grunts limbs is exactly what the Halo 4 grunt should have but maybe with more claws.

I REALLY hope Microsoft forces 343 to make an ad making fun of CoD. Almost like what BulletStorm did with the Halo 3 "Believe" ad. Not because I strongly dislike CoD, but because it will get people talking.

I want to think that Microsoft is going to do a marketing blitz with this and utilize everything they have to make this game sell. ie Internet Ads, Dashboard Ads, Online mini series, Magazine Ads, Partnerships (gamerfuel), etc. Obviously its about impossible to outsell something that's multiplatform, but 343 is obviously pointing this game's direction to appeal to a much broader audience. Whatever game sells more, it won't be that large of a margin IMO.

100% agreed, the really need to step up the marketing soon, get people talking. Halo will sell well to its bigger fans no matter what, but they need to show that they are both pushing 200% with story and MP and evolving. Its time to bring out the big guns.

Probably would have been better had I not left on Thursday; things get unclear after several days, and I'm sorry.

Nevertheless:

Awesome, reading now.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'd like to see these Reach challenges start being worth more. Halo 4 is 6 months out, lets start boosting the credit payouts for challenges. :)

Still, who would have thought that Halo would be usurped by the Call of Duty series during Halo 2's reign? Things change. I can see the popularity switching back to Halo if 343 actually puts out a good game. Although, like Kyle, I think it's kind of hard to win over fans of a different game when all they see is some other FPS trying to be a clone of what they already play.

I would. During the Christmas Steam sale I picked it up and had a blast with the Single Player. It really is a good game. It does what it sets out to do very well which is be an over the top macho action flick of a game. The dialog is corny as all hell but it's obviously supposed to be. The gameplay is damn good though too.

It's just a shame it's not getting a sequel because the end really set it up for one.
I'll add it to the list of things to get. :)

dunno what it goes for, but i'll sell mine 15 shipped. if you can find it elsewhere for cheaper, ignore. i'd rather keep it then sell it for less ;)
I'll look around and may take you up on that offer. You live in the US?

Ellis, regrow your beard and do this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYi24D9lHqc
MY. GOD. This is some shit to aspire to, seriously.

gonna go read Wu's impressions now...

senador

Banned
CoD will have to take itself out by not changing, growing stale, or having an awful release that is big ridden or something. I don't expect that to happen though.

I also don't think 343 or MS is aiming to beat them. CoD isn't even the only game that does exp, unlocks, progression, etc. Did they even do it first for an FPS? That aside, that shit sells and people like it. It's addicting and fun for most. I'm a sucker for it (though I hate CoD).

If you look back, Halo has been largely unchanged over 4 games. Now would be a perfect time to mix it up a bit, regardless of how we feel and how devoted we may be to those experiences past games created. I'm thinking and hoping we'll have those again it'll just be a but different. Who know, maybe the unlocks and stuff happen fast so within a couple months everyone will be in the same place anyway. Maybe the unlocks themselves are subtle and aren't hugely game changing. Lots of "if's" and "maybes" right now. Eventually we'll know and get to try for ourselves. If it really does suck, then 343 will get hell and I think they know this. I think that's a more appropriate time to do it too since we just don't know enough yet really, and what we do is mostly out I'd context.

So yeah, I guess I just find the CoD comparisons and gloom and doom shit annoying. Almost every game out there these days had progression from iOS to PC. People like unlocking shit and being rewarded for shit. It's not really a CoDism as much as it is a huge trend in gaming right now. Halo 4's looks mild right now compared got the rest so I'm going to hope for the best and also hope to hell that it's all super balanced.

I don't think that anyone including MS and 344 think it'll best out CoD, and I don't think they are aiming to mimic it.

Whatever though, I'm just a 3-muncher.

kylej

Banned

uh Black Ops has sold 4 million copies more than Halo 3 on Xbox 360 alone. Halo's "biggest launch in entertainment history" was $170 million in one day. Modern Warfare 3 did over $400 million in one day.

Nevertheless:

Good write up. I think we hadn't heard about the spartan laser yet.

Still, I hate the sound of weapon drops. Nothing that's been said by 343 or outside sources made me feel any better about it. I guess time will tell whether my worries are justified or not.

GhaleonEB

Nevertheless:

As a fan, I've been seeing small clips, listening to explanations, and voraciously gobbling up any tidbit 343 has released. Like many other fans, I've been a little apprehensive that all of the changes I've heard described would turn this game into something I wasn't ready for. After playing it for a few hours, though, I have to say - it still feels like Halo. Yes, there are new bits. Yes, there are changes. But 343 seems to be doing a fine job of keeping that 'Halo feel' in the game... I'm looking forward to my next chance to jump back in.
Good stuff. Thanks, Wu.

Nevertheless:

Nice, thanks for the info! Some thoughts:
1. I know you say that perks isn't quite accurate for what those extra loadout pieces provide, but I don't know how something like a boost in shield regen isn't anything but a perk.

2. The radar still seems to take from Reach in that it maps altitude as well. That's kind of unfortunate because it makes movement in games with radar a pain. It sucks when people know exactly where you are because of your movement in their proximity. At least when it stayed a blip there was some ambiguity to that.

3. Since the game is still using placeholder Reach UI and is on a modified Reach engine, I wonder if we're still going to have a sort of Auntie Dot style loading screen delay in and out of matches. Load up some Halo 3 and see how snappy the game loads and transitions into matches by comparison.

4. Grenades being toned down sounds nice. Did you notice if they were more bouncy, or did they plop in place when tossed?

I also don't think 343 or MS is aiming to beat them. CoD isn't even the only game that does exp, unlocks, progression, etc. Did they even do it first for an FPS? That aside, that shit sells and people like it. It's addicting and fun for most. I'm a sucker for it (though I hate CoD).
I actually do think that CoD was the very first to have a persistent player progression system like that, which is when everything started spiraling out of control as everyone else tried to copy that. I can't really think of any game doing it before MW. Counter-Strike had progression, but it was in a per game basis and completely different.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Thanks for the write-up Louis, weapon drops sound interesting. I am intrigued to hear more on how they work. I like the idea of using one to set a trap.

uh Black Ops has sold 4 million copies more than Halo 3 on Xbox 360 alone. Halo's "biggest launch in entertainment history" was $170 million in one day. Modern Warfare 3 did over $400 million in one day.

^Fact's

However i think Blops was breaking point for the series. It will continue to sell but i dont think it will take Blops1 sales figures ever again.

First COD on next gen may come close but people are getting tired of the series. Blops 2 was going to be "future warfare" but they are using the Blops names to sell people on the title due to the success of Blops 1.

Halo on the other hand has a strong chance, i dont think it will pull Blops sales numbers and being 1st party hampers its total sale figures but the return of chief is a pretty big thing, once the marketing campaign hits you better believe its going to have hype, maybe even more than Blops 2

senador

Banned
Hmm weapon drops are sounding worse than before. Hoping for more infos soon. You can call them in and choose what weapon you get? That doesn't sound good.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hmm weapon drops are sounding worse than before. Hoping for more infos soon. You can call them in and choose what weapon you get? That doesn't sound good.
In that mode. He could not do it in the version of Team Slayer he played.

I think Ordnance drops will be a real test of skill. Good teams will wait until they have map control before calling one in. Even with the random locations, good teams should be able to strategise and move out to those parts of the map. It'll make for interesting MLG moments I like to think.

Cue people advocating that MLG should never use random things :p

What sort of cunt votes for Hemorrhage when it's 3v3?

Oh and a tip - prefer good connection does not mean pair me exlusively with Americans

Call of Duty has the benefit of being multiplatform, though. So it's really not even fair to compare. While some people complain about games that have a new iteration come out seemingly every year, I think it helps in the long run. There's constant hype and freshness, whereas a series like Halo has a longer wait inbetween games. And if one iteration is bad, such as Reach, the long term negative effect on gamers is much, much worse. In the case of Call of Duty, if you don't like one of the games, no problem! The next installment is just around the corner. Hooray!

Maybe I haven't played the series enough, but it seems that the devs for the CoD series try and keep what people love, by not changing things around too much. In Halo, developers are always jacking around with the formula. We've never had a straight sequel to any of the games, sadly. They're always overhauled and players are forced to adjust to a completely new game.

So the Spartan Laser is back eh?

Yeah I read over that like it was old news and then back tracked with a big wtf. I didn't expect that one to come back, haha, though im not too worried about it.

Once again, I expect Halo 4 to have a ton of weapons.. Im pretty sure Frankie said there would be more new weapons than returning weapons..and we know about a lot of returning weapons so far.

Call of Duty has the benefit of being multiplatform, though. So it's really not even fair to compare. While some people complain about games that have a new iteration come out seemingly every year, I think it helps in the long run. There's constant hype and freshness, whereas a series like Halo has a longer wait inbetween games. And if one iteration is bad, such as Reach, the long term negative effect on gamers is much, much worse. In the case of Call of Duty, if you don't like one of the games, no problem! The next installment is just around the corner. Hooray!

Maybe I haven't played the series enough, but it seems that the devs for the CoD series try and keep what people love, by not changing things around too much. In Halo, developers are always jacking around with the formula. We've never had a straight sequel to any of the games, sadly. They're always overhauled and players are forced to adjust to a completely new game.

Maybe, but for casuals CoD is "cutting edge" and "new" and "boundary pushing", as such it gets more attention than Halo. Halo is now really beginning to evolve with its new suite of MP options, as well as its stronger focus on story. They need to make people know, via traditional and non traditional methods. CoD is going to get a lot of attention for its future setting.. Halo better show it has some "hard combat" stuff up its sleeve... if they have an urban MP map they honestly should showcase Halo 4 MP on it to gain the some attention.

Plus, I loved some of the urban Halo 2 settings.. I would love to see some MP maps in areas like that..Turf, Terminal..or hey, even Ghost Town.

In that mode. He could not do it in the version of Team Slayer he played.
So was that the FFA mode, then? I guess the bigger question to ask is if the gametypes played that night are indicative of what to expect from multiplayer and not something from a more customized game.

Gotta say, I like the idea of using the weapon drop as a trap. I realize that it could technically be done in all the other Halos if you knew the timers, but having figurative horns blaring at a weapon's arrival would be a hard thing to pass up for anyone that doesn't have the timing nailed down.

Top Bottom