• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Or it's just people being bored and doing silly shit. I'd go in with my buddies and suicide in Halo 3 and try to see if we could come back after -50.

Clearly since we did that, Halo 3 was pointless.

And I sometimes suicide and don't bother trying to come back. My brother, friend and I got to -100 once.

Or it's just people being bored and doing silly shit. I'd go in with my buddies and suicide in Halo 3 and try to see if we could come back after -50.

Clearly since we did that, Halo 3 was pointless.

Did you devise trueskill? Does it have compromising photos of you that it threatens to release if you don't sing its praises on internet forums?

The fact that 343 have had to come out and say 'trueskill will not function in Halo 4 as it does in Reach' suggests that even they see problems with it as it operates in Reach.

Did you try to come back from -50 in ranked matches? I very much doubt it.

FyreWulff

Did you devise trueskill? Does it have compromising photos of you that it threatens to release if you don't sing its praises on internet forums?

The fact that 343 have had to come out and say 'trueskill will not function in Halo 4 as it does in Reach' suggests that even they see problems with it as it operates in Reach.

Did you try to come back from -50 in ranked matches? I very much doubt it.

"Trueskill will not function in Halo 4 as it does in Reach" reads like "we're turning up the dial on the skill parameter and using less lenient matching".

Every 360 game uses Trueskill. It's required by first party unless you're EA or an MMO. They're just going to use different parameters on the TS blackbox. It's not going anywhere.

edit: Reach just has the skill component lower than 3 did to speed up search times. They have the ability to more heavily weight skill in matching, and they've done it (although they said they wouldn't reveal which lists it was turned up in). Arena has pretty solid TS matching, because it enforces feeding TS enough data to figure out who you are, then has stricter matching on.

It's not my favorite system but it's still way more mathematically sound than fucking ELO. You don't get deranked in TS for winning like you do in ELO ranks.

"Trueskill will not function in Halo 4 as it does in Reach" reads like "we're turning up the dial on the skill parameter and using less lenient matching".

Every 360 game uses Trueskill. It's required by first party unless you're EA or an MMO. They're just going to use different parameters on the TS blackbox. It's not going anywhere.

This man is right

edit: Reach just has the skill component lower than 3 did to speed up search times. They have the ability to more heavily weight skill in matching, and they've done it (although they said they wouldn't reveal which lists it was turned up in). Arena has pretty solid TS matching, because it enforces feeding TS enough data to figure out who you are.

It's not my favorite system but it's still way more mathematically sound than fucking ELO. You don't get deranked in TS for winning like you do in ELO ranks.

They should embed trueskill into the .map file though to solve problems

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I would like to see 1-50 back, but alongside the graphical "ranks" we have now. Gives both types of people something to gain, actual levels for 1-50 based on skill and progression ranks based on completion for less competitive people (or people who like the unlock style).

I would like to see 1-50 back, but alongside the graphical "ranks" we have now. Gives both types of people something to gain, actual levels for 1-50 based on skill and progression ranks based on completion for less competitive people (or people who like the unlock style).

Its not enough just to improve trueskill matching.. your TS value should be displayed next to your gamertag in the lobby.

CyReN

Wow

trueskill

Come to the Sayper Michigan (Ann Arbor) 32 man lan that's happening May 19th. Full 3 4v4 setup, It's going to be mostly MLG settings for those thinking about going. It's free too.

ijEGg.jpg

gblLW.jpg

There are plenty of instances where Trueskill should work but doesn't. I'm not so sure this is the best example of that though.

Finding a fair match for the very best players and the very worst is always going to be hard. Isn't that why most pros play customs?

So you agree with me that they see problems with the way it operates in Reach, the problem being it's far too loose in Reach? Cool, glad we cleared that up ;)

This pedantry over trueskill is hilarious though. I and everybody else knows that trueskill is used in most 360 games. Just like everybody knows that when a poster bemoans it in the context of a Reach game, they're bemoaning it in the context of Reach, i.e the version of trueskill where skill matching is weighted so low in most playlists that it for all intents and purposes ceases to exist.

I know ranked Halo 3 used trueskill. It was a much tighter version of trueskill however. It's like having a debate about 100% bloom and 10% bloom: they're not the same thing.

Overdoziz

Banned
Problem with trueskill is that it matches up a team of 1 really good player and 3 other bad players with a team of 4 average players and calls it fair.

One thing I can state unambiguously is that more emphasis has been put on larger MP maps to support Vehicle combat. Including adjustments to stop vehicles being torn apart by breezes and harsh language.
Honestly this could mean anything, but I'm going to choose the positive possibility and by god does it sound like music to my ears!

FyreWulff

So you agree with me that they see problems with the way it operates in Reach, the problem being it's far too loose in Reach? Cool, glad we cleared that up ;)

This pedantry over trueskill is hilarious though. I and everybody else knows that trueskill is used in most 360 games. Just like everybody knows that when a poster bemoans it in the context of a Reach game, they're bemoaning it in the context of Reach, i.e the version of trueskill where skill matching is weighted so low in most playlists that it for all intents and purposes ceases to exist.

I know ranked Halo 3 used trueskill. It was a much tighter version of trueskill however. It's like having a debate about 100% bloom and 10% bloom: they're not the same thing.

Halo 3's version of Trueskill was bad. That's what happens when you try to use a player matching system as an RPG/rank progression system.

The knobs and levers already exist in Reach from 343 and Bungie's own publications and Bulletins/Updates and other admissions. It's up to them if they want to prove they can do it now or make you wait and buy a new game in November. Same with going on about how Halo 4's playlists will be focused and leaving Reach floating along with 25-odd lists..

No, its my way of never letting him forget.

so brave

Anybody playing Halo? Im up for whatever, though if anyone wants to co-op some Halo Anniversary Im up for it as I still need a ton of achievements.

Well im not going to PAX now, long story im pissed about it dont wanna talk about it.

However i am going to get myself lots of toys.

To buy or not to buy?

Anyone used these?
It seems I can't go to PAX either...having a hard time selling the GF on the idea. I dont blame her though, we are in a bad spot with money and we both want to do something nice together this summer, and PAX would make that difficult.

CyReN

Well im not going to PAX now, long story im pissed about it dont wanna talk about it.

However i am going to get myself lots of toys.

To buy or not to buy?

Anyone used these?

Don't buy them yet, I might be able to get you a discount code to use. Also they are a REALLY good system, had the mixamp for 3+ years now and it still works great, if you have a issue their customer service helps a lot.

Probably not going to Pax either, plane tickets are killer at $525+ now.

Don't buy them yet, I might be able to get you a discount code to use. Also they are a REALLY good system, had the mixamp for 3+ years now and it still works great, if you have a issue their customer service helps a lot.

Probably not going to Pax either, plane tickets are killer.

Second X4 Puck/Chatback cable just crapped out on me and i dont feel like buying another since id rather upgrade.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

QFT. I have never read complaints about TS in this forum outside of the context of the game they're discussing. TS works great, but it can work in lots of customizable ways. There's no baseline to pick in this conversation.

Black Ops 2 looks like my kind of setting. I'll probably pick it up.

Le gasp, buying Halo 4 AND Black Ops 2? Unheard of!

Truth is, I thought Modern Warfare 2 was trash, liked Black Ops, wasn't remotely interested in Modern Warfare 3 and now I'm intrigued by Black Ops 2. Guess Treyarch just been doin more interesting shit.

bananas

Banned
Hey frankie, I have a Mister Chief shirt that I got back in high school that no longer fits me. You should make more Mister Chief shirts.

Tunavi

Banned

Truth is, I thought Modern Warfare 2 was trash, liked Black Ops, wasn't remotely interested in Modern Warfare 3 and now I'm intrigued by Black Ops 2. Guess Treyarch just been doin more interesting shit.
Same here, might be my first day 1 cod purchase ever

I thought the opposite, i thought MW2 was a lot better. I also didnt like the purchase system and contracts. Contracts were a good idea but it didnt feel properly executed. Best part of that game was "gun game" & "one bullet". Those were awesome.

heckfu

Banned

Treyarch have made my favorite games in the series as well. It's a good thing.

lol im on mobile, i have to get used to it it seems :p
Make sure your preferences are set to:

Thread Arrow Go To - First Unread (should be on by default, I believe)

and make sure you tap the arrow on the thread, tapping on the thread bar will take you to the first post, as you probably already know.

mobileGAF rules all. Brilliant work, and the home screen icon makes my pants tight.

Halo 3's version of Trueskill was bad. That's what happens when you try to use a player matching system as an RPG/rank progression system.

I was going to write another proper response but just a 'no' will suffice. Certainly not in its ranked playlists.

QFT. I have never read complaints about TS in this forum outside of the context of the game they're discussing. TS works great, but it can work in lots of customizable ways. There's no baseline to pick in this conversation.

I know it can, and that it typically needs good population and fairly strict skill matching to be great. That's why the news that the playlists will be 'tight and focused' is so welcome for Halo 4, especially after the amount Reach has ;)

Make sure your preferences are set to:

Thread Arrow Go To - First Unread (should be on by default, I believe)

and make sure you tap the arrow on the thread, tapping on the thread bar will take you to the first post, as you probably already know.

mobileGAF rules all. Brilliant work, and the home screen icon makes my pants tight.

That's some good work then huh? :p

But I agree, mobile site is excellent.

Hey frankie, I have a Mister Chief shirt that I got back in high school that no longer fits me. You should make more Mister Chief shirts.

I remember going to a theater in Destin, Florida about six months ago and seeing a dude and his friend outside, one had a Mister Chief shirt. He could have been a gaffer for all I know. And agreed, we need Reach Mister Chief or Mister Six or something so we can have him be completely gray and covered in scratches and dirt or something.

Karl2177

Pm's checked. I'll get back to you in a couple days when I'm not solely on mobileGAF and when I'm done with finals.

TrueSkill? It's got it's issues, but at the moment it's the best we have. I've said that skill should be assigned individually per title. The biggest problem is griefers sadly.

Top Bottom