• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Maybe an E3 reveal/teaser? That's what I thought when I saw it.

I highly doubt that project will be ready for an E3 reveal. (Remember, this is something Marcus is working on in the basement, not the Next Big Thing.)

But a Destiny reveal at E3? Maybe. Bungie did just have an all-hands meeting the other day...

CyReN

ZsxVW.jpg

(link)

Interesting.

So even he disliked Reach, interesting.

I highly doubt that project will be ready for an E3 reveal. (Remember, this is something Marcus is working on in the basement, not the Next Big Thing.)

But a Destiny reveal at E3? Maybe. Bungie did just have an all-hands meeting the other day...

A teaser for destiny could be possible. They've been working for 3 years on it IIRC.

Risen

THIS CONTROLLER IS AMAZING!

Holy shit man. It's so fucking tight and responsive. My first game was Sanc CTF and I went 41 and 17 for a positive 24. 2 triple kills. One of which was in the first opening seconds. Damn man. Feels really good.

Shame you didn't have it last night... maybe I don't break the Tashi Ceiling on your FACE...

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrn

How does it feel without weights? I like my controller very light... I'm used to playing with wired controllers that have no rumble packs.

I loved the arguing over pixels in the first thread. I made a Reach screenshot thread, but I guess the visuals of Reach weren't impressive enough to keep the thread going, or the novelty of taking screenshots had worn off after Halo 3.

I really want to bump that thread with some pics I have lol.

For me nothing picture worthy really happened in Reach, game was fairly 'static' in terms of the stuff that could happen thanks to the sandbox.

It'll be a next gen console game at this point.

I don't understand why people keep saying this.

The next Xbox hasn't even been announced yet and it won't be at E3 this year. I highly doubt a game that's been in development for almost three years has been targeting undefined next-gen hardware. There's also the issue of install base; releasing on current-gen consoles gives you a much larger audience.

If you're talking about Lehto's new IP, I imagine that will be an XBLA or mobile game.

Fuchsdh

Early prototype game that they just started making won't do anything enough to be fun. Pretty sure he is talking about the development process and the act of creating something brand new.

Yeah that's how I interpreted it as well.

I really want a true documentary of the making of Halo--the personality clashes, the rewrites, the back-and-forth between Microsoft and Bungie. We get so much of a glossed-over look at game development. These people are still human, and the process behind such a massive franchise is interesting to me, especially with the recent gossip I've heard.

Oh, and Senador, I promise I'm going to work on that steampunk Chief soon and fix his damn leg and make him a little nicer too :)

senador

Banned

The next Xbox hasn't even been announced yet and it won't be at E3 this year. I highly doubt a game that's been in development for almost three years has been targeting undefined next-gen hardware. There's also the issue of install base; releasing on current-gen consoles gives you a much larger audience.

If you're talking about Lehto's new IP, I imagine that will be an XBLA or mobile game.

I think based on how long they implied the wait would be and what they've implied of the game itself. They make it sound like a game with user creation tools and longevity. Something you'd maybe play over a long period of time vs a few days for the story. Since it hasn't been announced yet, the longer that goes the further out the date is which puts it closer and closer to the end of the 360's lifespan which isn't a good time to release a game of that nature. We know very little though so that could wrong, but I think that's why most people assume next gen.
Oh, and Senador, I promise I'm going to work on that steampunk Chief soon and fix his damn leg and make him a little nicer too :)

Ha! I'm fine with it now. I'd only want to figure out something with the sizing to show off detail. Maybe from waste up to show upper body and grenade launcher more. I dunno, keep that in mind. ;)

What controller did Tashi get?

I'm not sure he got a controller since he described it as "nice and heavy, feels really good in my hands." :O

Thank you! Not to mention those PS3 developers they aggressively sought. It's not like they could be working on porting Reach. Bungie's first game in their new universe will release for 360/PS3. The only question remaining is: will it also see a PC and/or Wii U release?

i am always blown away by the popular of living dead.

bring back squad. maybe we should start an online petition. or twitter bomb frinkles.

Living dead felt so much better in Halo 3, the mixture between the custom maps and different game types.. Still it really is insane how popular it is. I hope Halo 4 can add a litte variety to the game.. maybe zombies can finally look like the flood or something, haha.

ZsxVW.jpg

(link)

Interesting.

Cool, I wonder how large the scale of the project he is working on is.. one way or another I can't wait to see what they have cooking.

Technically both trilogies are prequels to Halo 4, with Kilo-Five being a direct sequel to Ghosts of Onyx and Halo 3.

Kilo-Five is bridging the gap directly between Halo 3 and the fiction up to that point and Halo 4 and the Forerunner Trilogy is filling in the larger picture and fleshing out a larger narrative - and will somehow also be tied into Halo 4.

Right now we have no clue how the Forerunner books tie into Halo 4. We'll definitly understand more when Halo 4 comes out and the final Forerunner book comes out but that will be well after Halo 4 is out. Same goes with Kilo-Five.

The concluding parts of both books will be, I imagine, vitally important to understanding the context of how everything is tied together. I'm simply questioning if having both final parts of two whole trilogies come out after Halo 4 is a good thing considering how closely the entire fiction is tied together now.

Think of it this way. Say in five years time and fans are re-reading and replaying the books and the games. Should they read the two trilogies before playing Halo 4 or afterward? Or only read two thirds of each trilogy and then play Halo 4, then finally finish each trilogy?

I think the main reason why we aren't getting the final parts of each trilogy is because the ending must, in some fashion, spoil something from Halo 4 that they want to keep from us until we've played the game.

In terms of bridging content, I'd rather have that content tell a full and complete story in the gap it's suppose to be set in and have it complete before the next game.

The Forerunner books were suppose to be already out by now. Things change and evolve and schedules get pushed back. Uprising, as an example, was originally meant to out before Halo 3 and that didn't happen.

Well, if I had to take a guess, it is possible that both book series have more to deliver than just things for Halo 4, and its possible that they plan for them to lead into Halo 5 as well. That said, I do wish with Halo 4 they had something more definitive.. Whether that be online viral campaigns, books, comics or other forms of info drops, such as just raw news on the game. Halo 4 is a big deal, but the way info is being handled it just kinda feels like 'just another game'.

Tawpgun

I believed it was gonna be Next Gen soon.

But now I'm thinking it might release this gen, towards the end.

It's going to be multiplat, so they want a simultaneous release. They can do that now. Not in the months or year or more difference between the next gen consoles.

This is a complex problem, one that is not so simply solved. In your post you complain about populations, yet requiring people to purchase all content to play online is going to hurt the population.

Obviously, the ideal is to have the maps be free, but there has to be some perceived benefit so the publisher can justify such an action. It's not like you can just offset the loss of revenue in making the maps free thru advertising like on a smartphone game, because the 360's interface isn't really set up to link to the advertisers in-game.

I like DLC-required playlists. I have no problem finding matches in Squad DLC, even though its population is poor, even at peak times. I played a shitload of Team Mythic in Halo 3, also. Having exclusive playlists along with the standard ones (which also have DLC-matching algorithms) seems like an acceptable solution to a complex problem.
I thought the Xbox style of handling this was ideal. Make it paid content for the first couple of months, and then make it free. It's just a shame that Microsoft isn't very fond of free things nowadays, even if the developer would insist on it. I know some prefer their DLC to remain paid, but it would definitely be a nice boost for some stagnant games to just give everyone the MP DLC for free after a certain point.

Fuchsdh

I'm frankly glad this console iteration has lasted as long as it has. I'm hoping that they put the same effort into optimization for the next cycle. We're pretty much at the point where graphics aren't going to be making the giant leaps of yesteryear, so improving things like encounters, UI and accessibility, and optimization (yes, consistent frame rates Kyle) are going to be way more important and emphasized (I hope).

Or they'll just be lazy and slap 2408x2408 textures on nuts and bolts.

I thought the Xbox style of handling this was ideal. Make it paid content for the first couple of months, and then make it free. It's just a shame that Microsoft isn't very fond of free things nowadays, even if the developer would insist on it. I know some prefer their DLC to remain paid, but it would definitely be a nice boost for some stagnant games to just give everyone the MP DLC for free after a certain point.

Definitely agree. At the very least, bundle everything together towards the "supported" end of the game's life cycle (soon to be Reach) and sell it for a bulk discount so people just have to make one purchase and are set. That's why I loved the Platinum Hits version of Halo Wars. No muss, no fuss, I have what I needed on disc.

senador

Banned

I don't see any other way but this. I wish they'd just go back to it. I'd still buy DLC day one.

TheOddOne

Well, if I had to take a guess, it is possible that both book series have more to deliver than just things for Halo 4, and its possible that they plan for them to lead into Halo 5 as well. That said, I do wish with Halo 4 they had something more definitive.. Whether that be online viral campaigns, books, comics or other forms of info drops, such as just raw news on the game. Halo 4 is a big deal, but the way info is being handled it just kinda feels like 'just another game'.
Again going to give 343 the benefit of the doubt in the case of releasing any substantial information. From my perspective it feels that they are deliberately keeping everything vague till E3, from then on the marketing will hopefully ramp up.

Most of the videos and information that has been released, except the Conan announcement, has been clearly focused on the gamer who visits message boards etc. E3 is seen all over the world and reaching a very broad audience, which means they will pack more in then the tidbits of footage we have seen. Seems pretty logical, also they slap at the end the mini-series that is coming and from then on keep giving out more juicy details.

I really hope my theory is right, I really hope so.

Technically both trilogies are prequels to Halo 4, with Kilo-Five being a direct sequel to Ghosts of Onyx and Halo 3.
That may be, but the way I described it is how I view the trilogies, so it really doesn't bother me that much. It's how I saw Ghosts of Onyx: an independent story with elements surfacing in the game. These trilogies are providing more elements than Ghosts of Onyx did to Halo 3, sure, but it's largely the same for me.

Think of it this way. Say in five years time and fans are re-reading and replaying the books and the games. Should they read the two trilogies before playing Halo 4 or afterward? Or only read two thirds of each trilogy and then play Halo 4, then finally finish each trilogy?
I don't think it matters. See: How ODST fits into a re-play of all the Halo games. It's whatevs.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Mr Frankie, what is the last ever story that will be told in the Halo universe?

This Halo 15 teaser from an interview a while back must be elaborated upon.

I don't think it matters. See: How ODST fits into a re-play of all the Halo games. It's whatevs.

ODST fits into a very specific part of the timeline though. It's neat and tidy.

Slightly Live - Confused that you include Uprising in that closing paragraph, it's a pretty poor example both as a filler (as you outline thanks to delays) and a pretty poor story itself.

Otherwise I somewhat agree.
While I agree that not having Bear's third book out before Halo 4 drops is a big loss, I think part 3 of Traviss's book is meant as a post-Halo 4 here's what's happening between this and Halo 5.

ODST fits into a very specific part of the timeline though. It's neat and tidy.
Yeah, but in terms of when it was released, as you're saying for the books and Halo 4, and the fact that you're not interrupted with a message while playing Halo 2 that says, "Please insert ODST disc here," it's still clumsy. Playing ODST after Halo 2, or during Halo 2, or before Halo 2...I don't think it matters, so long as you know the context.

Edit: Besides, as Zeo said, third book of Kilo-Five trilogy could bridge the gap between Halo 4 and Halo 5. Who knows what reason future books will serve which purpose.

It just doesn't make sense. Everything can be explained by bad writing or rushed development.

It'd be a giant slap in the face to tell you that most of this never happened, shepard was just dreaming!
And so what if he was indoctrinated? What the hell happened? Did the reapers win? Did we win? Did everything just blow up? We don't know!

Basically the incoc theory says is, he was dreaming. That's it. They don't tell you how the war ended. They don't tell you who survived, who died.

He was dreaming yay!

Besides, that's not how a game is made. They write it based on the assumption he is indoctrinated, then choose to drop it at the final section of the game but keep it through the rest of the game?
No sir, that's not how things are done.
And don't tell me they planned on making the new ending and explain the indoc theory with it. They made the new ending because they ****ed up. They rushed the game and they made huge mistakes. Writing mistakes, continuity mistakes.
Their fault

Mass Effect 3 ending discussion.

Their responsibility? ;) None of what you have said however contradicts the evidence presented throughout the game and especially during the end sequence that it WAS a dream. All things considered, it is the possibility that makes the most sense given the universe breaking behavior exhibited in this section. Yes, it does mean that we didn't get the "real" ending, at least not yet. I'd rather accept that than that they messed it up forever.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Slightly Live - Confused that you include Uprising in that closing paragraph, it's a pretty poor example both as a filler (as you outline thanks to delays) and a pretty poor story itself.

Uprising was trying to do one thing and that direct fill the gaps between the games. You would play Halo 2 to it's end, read the comic and be prepared for Halo 3.

And it failed. Regardless of it's quality, the publishing timeline went out the window was the original intention and since the story was supposed to be this preparatory direct tie, it fell apart.

Thankfully though, the story itself was largely inconsequential. The Kilo-Five Trilogy and the Forerunner Trilogy just seem much more substantial than Uprising. So I think there's more at risk for the reader in terms of being prepared and going through the events of both trilogies.

Uprising was never meant to be delayed the way it was but we don't know if Kilo-Five and Forerunner were or are on schedule - especially concerning considering how pushed back we know the Forerunner books have been.

In all, it's a minor worry. It's a small opinion piece just saying that not having both trilogies finish before Halo 4 just seems odd. (And as someone that eats books for breakfast, I'm always hungry!).

Uprising was something laser focused and directed and the smallest disruption ruined the entire point of it. The trilogies are less so focused, especially the Forerunner stuff s o hopefully in the end it won't matter much.

Top Bottom