• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Arnie

I wish I could get excited by articles discussing composers and scores, but I just can't. It's probably the one aspect of the game that doesn't excite me at this stage. I need to hear the music in the context of the game to really judge it.

Unlike the semi-random weapon spawns which I can confidently say is a terrible addition, even at this stage.

TheOddOne

The guys at 343, they work through the night, they skip lunches, they don’t go home to get a shower.
Those are some dedicated fans. Massive props.

I’ve already seen people trying to recreate my ProTools session [for the Halo 4 reveal trailer] on YouTube. So people are pretty fanatical. That’s cool, and it’s inspiring that people are that passionate. I love that about humans. We overcomplicate things all the time, but there’s something very beautiful about that.
The passion of the guys who make the sound effects is intense. There’s a guy who sits there for 12 hours straight just listening to gunshots over and over again.
I tend to go and find materials that may inspire me or keep me focused on a certain theme, feeling, emotion or texture. Is it hot, cold, shiny, rough, tropical, desert, scary, sad, exciting?

Overdoziz

Banned
Enclosed (...) miles ahead
No.

I do agree that Reach has way too many Forge maps in matchmaking. When over half your voting options are non-official maps something's wrong. Forge is a great way to get a new map into matchmaking every now and then to keep things fresh but Bungie and now 343 have really overdone it. Just look at Team Slayer. That playlist has 19 Forge maps in it. 19! And only 14 other maps are not Forge maps. And of those 14 maps 8 are DLC maps which never show up. So there you are, with 19 Forge maps and practically only 6 'normal' maps trying to remember what gray map Precipice is.

I really hope 343 doesn't go overboard with Forge maps in Halo 4 because this is crazy. And I say that as someone who actually likes Forge and doesn't particularly care about how gray they look.

kylej

Banned
You got me.

You know, I haven't been here long, minus lurking, but every time you show up to "discuss" something, you bring along waves of negativity and cynicism. It's tough not to call you out on that, especially on a forum like this.

Either way, I completely respect your opinion, and I don't think you're wrong - just that I don't agree that 1-50 is the way to go from here (based on my experience). I know that you care about having a game that you'll enjoy, and that there are certain criteria you expect from it in order for you to enjoy it. All I'm saying is we should consider the game from outside our narrow perspectives, as we each experience it differently, even compared to the average gamer. And it's especially important to recognize when an employee who has the data, saying it was a problem, versus you, who doesn't have any of said data, refuting, or downright refusing it and not really getting anywhere in the process, other than a nostalgic circle-jerk. That's "white-noise", in my opinion.

I've played over 9000 games of Halo 3, which doesn't mean shit, but I'm pretty sure that's more than the entirety of 343's development team combined, and worth no less than 343's data (which just killed Squad Slayer as thee henery pointed out). Anecdotal evidence is rarely worthless. Given the abhorrent playlist management by 343, I don't trust any of their abilities. I don't have any better picture of their competence now than I did before they started revealing Halo 4, all I know is right now they're dropping the ball with Reach, and Halo 4 is underwhelming at every turn.

I have the utmost respect for Frankie, but I can't pretend to see it any other way than it is. You can keep your blind faith and trust, I'll keep expressing my opinion, whether it's wanted or listened to or not.

No.

I do agree that Reach has way too many Forge maps in matchmaking. When over half your voting options are non-official maps something's wrong. Forge is a great way to get a new map into matchmaking every now and then to keep things fresh but Bungie and now 343 have really overdone it. Just look at Team Slayer. That playlist has 19 Forge maps in it. 19! And only 14 other maps are not Forge maps. And of those 14 maps 8 are DLC maps which never show up. So there you are, with 19 Forge maps and practically only 6 'normal' maps trying to remember what gray map Precipice is.

I really hope 343 doesn't go overboard with Forge maps in Halo 4 because this is crazy. And I say that as someone who actually likes Forge and doesn't particularly care about how gray they look.

I almost don't want Forge in Halo 4 so 343 doesn't feel pressured to get any fan-made maps into matchmaking.

I almost don't want Forge in Halo 4 so 343 doesn't feel pressured to get any fan-made maps into matchmaking.

I said that once and almost got crucified.

I've played over 9000 games of Halo 3, which doesn't mean shit, but I'm pretty sure that's more than the entirety of 343's development team combined, and worth no less than 343's data (which just killed Squad Slayer as thee henery pointed out). Anecdotal evidence is rarely worthless. Given the abhorrent playlist management by 343, I don't trust any of their abilities. I don't have any better picture of their competence now than I did before they started revealing Halo 4, all I know is right now they're dropping the ball with Reach, and Halo 4 is underwhelming at every turn.

I have the utmost respect for Frankie, but I can't pretend to see it any other way than it is. You can keep your blind faith and trust, I'll keep expressing my opinion, whether it's wanted or listened to or not.

I don't even know what we're arguing about, here. I may not share you opinion, but I'm sorry Halo 4 is disappointing you so far, hopefully you'll enjoy it when it is released. I'll just back out now. *tips visor, presses B*

My wireless controller reciver and helmeted McFarland jun just arrived. What a great day I'm having. 9-1 early shift at work home to beans and sausages with toast and a cuppa made by the GF and now my stuff has been delivered :)

I love you neogaf x

Arnie

I sort of agree, although there are certain things that I love about Forge: altering spawns for competitive play, moving weapon locations and tweaking gametypes.

A game like Starcraft wouldn't need Forge because Blizzard takes competitive multiplayer as seriously as anyone else would. Bungie, and from the little we've seen I don't expect 343 to change this, don't really care to the same extent.

And also if there are remakes I quite like it when they get the full treatment. Look how beautiful Beaver Creek is; it's just a shame it never comes up in the rotation for me.

Yeah, there's definitely ways you could do it, but it doesn't escape the trend that hardly any Forge maps that get into matchmaking are fun to play on.

MLG and ForgeHub always have some really kick-ass content that just seem miles ahead of what's available in matchmaking. Then again... I don't know where they got that content in the first place.

My wireless controller reciver and helmeted McFarland jun just arrived. What a great day I'm having. 9-1 early shift at work home to beans and sausages with toast and a cuppa made by the GF and now my stuff has been delivered :)

I love you neogaf x

Reminds me, I haven't received Halo 2 Vista in the mail yet... I wan 2 play dammit!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

That's the odd thing. I liked forge, but I rarely use it. I usually make a map or two when the game comes out to play around, then I never use it.

I would be fine with Forge going away, unless it has some major new pieces to it. I don't think I can take playing 18 forge world maps back to back in Halo 4. :p

nbraun80

For me it wasn't that they started working in fan-made maps, my issue with Reach was that there were 8 launch maps beisdes Forge World. 2 of those were mainly for invasion. So you got 6 maps, and the rest are maps Bungie made in forge world. To me that's just lazy, you'd think you'd want to make memorable maps with unique textures and scenery.

I'm not too worried about 343 because even the little I've seen of Wraparound looks 10x better than any default map on Reach.

TheOddOne

I guess we are going to go trough a dry spell till E3.

iq3mzWVZb4Fnx.gif

TIME TO BUCKLE UP.

Is his name Richard or are you just being rude again?

Richard O' Gravy.

http://i.minus.com/iq3mzWVZb4Fnx.gif/IMG]

TIME TO BUCKLE UP.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, I wonder how the shoot is going for the Halo 4 web series?

Edit and off topic:

Double awesome, man in Nebraska changes his name, he is now legally called [URL="http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1174796--man-changes-name-to-tyrannosaurus-rex"]Tyrannosaurus Rex.[/URL]

nbraun80

Reflection says hello.
ha..Ok i'll give you that one, it was a decent map, but with it being so saturated with forge world maps you hardly get that one. It just felt like to me that bungie said screw it it's our last halo lets just build a bunch of forge world maps inside of unique ones...

http://i.minus.com/iq3mzWVZb4Fnx.gif[IMG]

TIME TO BUCKLE UP.[/QUOTE]

I think we've been going through a dry spell for the last month :P

I don't mind the wait till E3 though. I've got my exams in 1 week so that'll keep me busy for the coming 3 weeks.

Overdoziz

Banned
ha..Ok i'll give you that one, it was a decent map, but with it being so saturated with forge world maps you hardly get that one. It just felt like to me that bungie said screw it it's our last halo lets just build a bunch of forge world maps inside of unique ones...
Reflection is turrible.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

They admitted to using Forge World to save time because they couldn't create multiple skyboxes and levels with unique geometry and whatnot inside the time they had. There was even a debate on here with folks discounting Forge World Bungie map made because they were made in Forge. The ill-feeling towards these maps has existed even before Reach came out.

I'm usually very vocal in my criticisms of Reach but I'd like to turn that on its head for just a moment and appreciate some of the shipping maps that Reach does very well.

Boardwalk - is an enjoyable 4v4 or 5v5 Slayer, 1-Flag or 1-Bomb map. It's pretty solid but maybe not spectacular. It should never have been forced into BTB. The map is really consistent with good settings.

Countdown - another solid map that maybe has too many power weapons in the default layout. I don't Objective games on this map but it's a pretty solid Slayer experience.

Powerhouse - I actually don't think the map at all. But many others do. A lot of folks will agree it's a pretty solid Slayer/1-sided Objective map.

Reflection - again, another solid Slayer map and 1-sided objective. The map does drop in quality when the gametypes allow Armour Abilities, particularly jetpack, to over run it.

Zealot - I can't stand this map, but like Powerhouse, it does have it's fans. I guess it depends heavily on the settings and tweaks and gametypes (and making sure the abuse heavy top isn't used).

Reach isn't a total washout. It makes me sad however that the number of decent or good maps are so low. An the BTB shipping maps are not even worth talking about. The DLC has certainly helped the map situation but the way DLC is implemented in matchmaking means that after the honeymoon period is over with each DLC release, the mixing of the DLC maps is such that you'll rarely get a chance to play them optimally.

Reach is probably going to be remembered for it's poor map offerings with the one good thing about that is the fact that we're not likely to ever see a Reach remake map pack any time soon.

Top Bottom