• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

What about enemy AAs? Can I pick those up as well?

-------
I'm trying to figure out how Jetpack can return without messing up map flow. The physics of the Reach version felt great - it had a very intuitive touch and seemed realistic within the game - but it was just awful for maps like Reflection, Uncaged, and Enclosed.

What if it was turned more into a double-jump/glide function?

Tap A - Jump (Or whatever the jump button is. I'd prefer LB.)
Tap A (in air) - Boost (i.e. doublejump)
Hold A (in air) - Hover/Glide (You slowly lose altitude, but can move horizontally over gaps.)

Tap & Hold A - Jump, then Hover at the apex.
Tap A, then Tap & Hold A - Jump, boost, then hover at the apex.

Boosting launches you up the height of about 1.5 normal jumps (so you can only reach ledges as high as 2.5 normal jumps). Players without jetpack can jump on each others' heads and almost reach the same height.

When hovering, you can release A to drop. You can only boost once per jump and you cannot boost after hovering. Pressing A again will simply resume the hover.

Boosting uses a single large chunk of your AA energy, Hovering uses a fast, steady drain. The energy recharges very slowly.

There is no fall damage, so players without jetpack can still jump off high ledges without dying. There is a brief stun upon impact though - you can use jetpack to cushion your landing and prevent the stun.

Just brainstorming. Thoughts? :)

That font in the middle of the screen is probably not even 16pt. Its hardly HUGE.

Perhaps it reads better there than in the bottom left corner...Dunno.

Ramirez

Sounds pretty good to me!

Non related: I've been thinking about it, and there really hasn't been any important use for the D-Pad in any Halo game. You think there's going to be an actual use for it now in Halo 4?

You want push to talk to return, don't you?

Sounds pretty good to me!

Non related: I've been thinking about it, and there really hasn't been any important use for the D-Pad in any Halo game. You think there's going to be an actual use for it now in Halo 4?

I bet grenade type changes will be on the d-pad with switching between sprint and AA on the b button.

Ramirez

Why can't sprint be mapped to the thumb stick like CoD & the AA remain the LB? In a bold move, remove crouching from the game, and in the process, radar as well. SHIP IT.

Why can't sprint be mapped to the thumb stick like CoD & the AA remain the LB? In a bold move, remove crouching from the game, and in the process, radar as well. SHIP IT.
Turn crouch into an Armor Ability, call it Spartan Squatting; boom, everybody wang-chungs tonight.

CyReN

I don't mind the font at all personally seeing it, as long as it doesn't do this I'm happy

scott_pilgrim_vs_the_world_42-535x299.jpg

Karl2177

no.

why not

LB - Sprint
RB - AA
B - Melee
Up on D-Pad - Change grenade.

A: Armor Lock
B: Armor Lock
X: Armor Lock
Y: Armor Lock
Start: Armor Lock
Back: Armor Lock
LS: Armor Lock
RS: Armor Lock
RT: Armor Lock
LT: Armor Lock
RB: Armor Lock
LB: Armor Lock
D-Pad Up: Armor Lock
D-Pad Down: Armor Lock
D-Pad Left: Armor Lock
D-Pad Right: Armor Lock
Any direction on analog sticks: Armor Lock
Xbox Guide: Armor Lock
Hold Xbox Guide: Armor Lock
Controller Sync: Armor Lock
Console Sync: Armor Lock
Console Power: Armor Lock
Submit Post on NeoGAF: Armor Lock

Halo 4 - November 6th, 2012

A: Armor Lock
B: Armor Lock
X: Armor Lock
Y: Armor Lock
Start: Armor Lock
Back: Armor Lock
LS: Armor Lock
RS: Armor Lock
RT: Armor Lock
LT: Armor Lock
RB: Armor Lock
LB: Armor Lock
D-Pad Up: Armor Lock
D-Pad Down: Armor Lock
D-Pad Left: Armor Lock
D-Pad Right: Armor Lock
Any direction on analog sticks: Armor Lock
Xbox Guide: Armor Lock
Hold Xbox Guide: Armor Lock
Controller Sync: Armor Lock
Console Sync: Armor Lock
Console Power: Armor Lock
Submit Post on NeoGAF: Armor Lock

Halo 4 - November 6th, 2012

this looks really good. hopefully frankie sees it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I think having fast default moving speed is the natural evolution from sprint. It's like sprinting all the time without having to lower your gun and you can even do it in any direction.

Except for the horrible "fast walk" animation that makes it feel like you are mall walking.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't like click to sprint. I want bumper jumper with A to use AAs and switch grenades on the D-pad. That sounds about perfect to me, unless there's AAs that require you to hold down the button.

Are we getting any news today? Yesterday Frankie did say 'one sleep' and we assumed he meant the podcast, but that hit early. Was he simply referring to that before the date was bumped up?

My ideal (default) control scheme for Halo 4:

kDDL8.jpg

See, things like crouch jumping would be hurt by this though. =/

I really don't like click to sprint. I want bumper jumper with A to use AAs and switch grenades on the D-pad. That sounds about perfect to me, unless there's AAs that require you to hold down the button.

I use Bumper Jumper myself and this sounds pretty good. Hopefully the only AA you have to hold the button down for is the Jetpack (which I will rarely use).

zlatko

Banned
Are we getting any news today? Yesterday Frankie did say 'one sleep' and we assumed he meant the podcast, but that hit early. Was he simply referring to that before the date was bumped up?

See, things like crouch jumping would be hurt by this though. =/

How about that's the default, and they just throw in fully customizable controls for people to switch whatever they want?

Or this controller should just come back with Halo 4 branding, and I can call it good. I miss this controller so much:

Radica-FPS-Master.jpg

For those that don't know what this is, it's the FPS Master controller. It was for the original Xbox. A,B,X,Y were all mapped on bottom side of the handles, and it was my go-to controller for Halo 2. Only things I would change/add to this are bumpers obviously somewhere near the triggers and of course the aesthetic.

Yeah I was thinking sprint on the thumb stick as well. I don't want AA, Sprint, or melee on a face button so the ideal scheme for me would be start with be:
LT: grenade
RT: shoot
LB: AA
RB: Melee
Left stick: Sprint
Right stick: zoom
A: Jump
B: crouch
X: reload
Y: switch
D-pad: switch grenades

Basically Reach's default, but with sprint on left stick, crouch moved to B button, and grenades to the d-pad.

Haha, that's exactly like mine up above. High five.

Will it take 8 weeks to unlock the BR?

No.

Each map/mode will load with a default, appropriate loadout. An example:

BIG MAP WITH LONG SIGHTLINES (imagine Blood Gulch)

• DMR
  • Magnum
  • Frag Nades
  • Map appropriate Armor Ability

Now it may take you a while to end up with precisely the combo you want, but the maps and modes are all carefully paired with VERY useful default loadouts so you don't end up on a giant map with nothing but an AR and a sadface.

This is great news.

Interesting. So there will be default loadouts, but we also have out own loadouts on top of that?

So say there's a tiny map where the default loudout is AR, Magnum, etc, etc. If I have loadout "1234" with a BR, Pistol, and Nades, I can use the BR on a small map.

Also: can I make a loadout with both a DMR and BR?

I don't know for sure, but I would assume their will be primary and secondary loadout weapons, probably meaning that BR and DMR could only be primary, so you couldn't spawn with both of them.

Yeah I was thinking sprint on the thumb stick as well. I don't want AA, Sprint, or melee on a face button so the ideal scheme for me would be start with be:
LT: grenade
RT: shoot
LB: AA
RB: Melee
Left stick: Sprint
Right stick: zoom
A: Jump
B: crouch
X: reload
Y: switch
D-pad: switch grenades

Basically Reach's default, but with sprint on left stick, crouch moved to B button, and grenades to the d-pad.

daedalius

So BR and DMR are primary weapons... is the AR a primary?

If so, that means it will be balanced against the BR and DMR; making it absolutely murderous at close range if it follows the trends of strength.

DMR - Long range
BR - Mid range
AR - close range

Hmmm.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Or we could just map out our own input preferences.

So BR and DMR are primary weapons... is the AR a primary?

If so, that means it will be balanced against the BR and DMR; making it absolutely murderous at close range if it follows the trends of strength.

DMR - Long range
BR - Mid range
AR - close range

Hmmm.
Yeah, this is what I expect. Not sure how I feel about it. I'm okay with the AR being strong as long as it's very close range.

Like Gears 3, I guess. Retro Lancer, Lancer, and Hammerburst. Three rifles with different strengths and weaknesses that are pretty balanced against each other, and picking a weapon is more about personal preference and playstyle.

Obviously, Halo is a different game but I see what they're going for. Too bad you have to unlock the Lancer now :/

daedalius

Like Gears 3, I guess. Retro Lancer, Lancer, and Hammerburst. Three rifles with different strengths and weaknesses that are pretty balanced against each other, and picking a weapon is more about personal preference and playstyle.

Obviously, Halo is a different game but I see what they're going for. Too bad you have to unlock the Lancer now :/

This is what I was thinking.

AR gonna be nasty. Gonna be Halo 1 quantities of pain I imagine.

And unlocks, gonna be in Spartan Ops alot ;)

I think most people will roll with DMR/BR as their primary loadout. BR for close to mid, DMR for reaching out. Hard to argue with that.

You can't start with 2 primaries. But I imagine people will try to pick up a DMR on the field depending on the map.

I think most people will roll with DMR/BR as their primary loadout. BR for close to mid, DMR for reaching out. Hard to argue with that.

We should not forget about all the other starting weapons. We still have the covenant carbine, the assault carbine, probably the plasma rifle and many more weapons to choose from for or loadouts.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
And we still don't know how the assault carbine is going to work into all this.

Edit : What Robbertster said! Though I don't expect all non-power weapons to be included in load outs. I see no reason why not, but it seems unnecessary to me, I guess.

Top Bottom