• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Show me this love...physically!

JK or am I?

ij2QREKjPgC6a.gif

I'm okay with using the D-pad, but I think it should just be "up" to switch between the two. There's no need to divide it between two different D-pad directions.

I meant it like each d-pad direction correlates with a grenade type. So new grenade type 1 would be D-pad down and new grenade type 2 would be D-pad right.

It's weird how 5 seconds of footage can get me hyped as fuck for this game. The graphics look amazing, better than the RvB video for some reason.

It did the opposite for me. Killed the last remaining shreds of it.

There is recoil, he is probably just decent at holding his aim together.

You can see the reticule raising a bit on every shot.

It looks like a pea-shooter. I hope it's just something weird in the video.

PooBone

Look, experience is worth something when competing in these games: knowing how to move around a map, developing muscle memory, etc.. All 343 Industries is doing is taking one of the cheaper bits of knowledge experienced players have over newer players. It's not degrading the value of player and team skill in an encounter, it's taking away a freebie that you probably didn't need in the first place.

*clap*

I rather have tap LB for sprint, Hold or press for armor abilities. Simple.

What is the difference between a Tap and a Press? And how long should the delay be before the game acknowledges a Hold? You're entitled to your own opinion, but I don't think there's anything simple about that setup.

Think about how many people rage over accidentally triggering Assassinations - it would only be worse if you mapped AAs and Sprint to the same button. "Dammit, I meant to sprint away but instead I just turned on Forerunner Vision!"

Mapping multiple functions to one button only works if A) they're context sensitive or B) the difference between the functions isn't combat-essential. Assassinations are context sensitive, but even then they aren't always intentional. I'm sure many people would love to disable that feature because it DOES have a negative impact on your combat timeline when triggered accidentally.

It DOES work for Reload/Pick Up Weapon/Board Vehicle. If you're in combat and want to make sure you reload, don't stand over a weapon or next to a vehicle seat. The game is pretty smart about guessing your intention as you hold the button. AAs and Sprint don't have a clear context mechanism to prevent misfires.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Will it take 8 weeks to unlock the BR?

No.

Each map/mode will load with a default, appropriate loadout. An example:

BIG MAP WITH LONG SIGHTLINES (imagine Blood Gulch)

• DMR
  • Magnum
  • Frag Nades
  • Map appropriate Armor Ability

Now it may take you a while to end up with precisely the combo you want, but the maps and modes are all carefully paired with VERY useful default loadouts so you don't end up on a giant map with nothing but an AR and a sadface.

Homeboyd

No.

• DMR
  • Magnum
  • Frag Nades

Now it may take you a while to end up with precisely the combo you want, but the maps and modes are all carefully paired with VERY useful default loadouts so you don't end up on a giant map with nothing but an AR and a sadface.
You're beautiful, it's true.

daedalius

No.

• DMR
  • Magnum
  • Frag Nades

Cyren you should post this over at THC.

Its hard to imagine a community more hyperbolic and reactionary than Halogaf; but they manage it.

No.

• DMR
  • Magnum
  • Frag Nades

Oh. That sounds great. I thought that you will be just use your own loadouts.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

No.

• DMR
  • Magnum
  • Frag Nades

just so we're clear... even if you don't have the BR unlocked, that doesn't mean it isn't present within a default map loadout, correct? also, it would be present on the map itself as a pick up?

No.

• DMR
  • Magnum
  • Frag Nades

Thanks for the clarification, that actually gives you all some more flexibility for weapon balancing.

No.

• DMR
  • Magnum
  • Frag Nades

I'm glad to hear that.

Hoping the BR takes precedence over the DMR for long range only because it's basically an underpowered sniper rifle with no bloom in reach. (and I mean that for default loadouts)

Striker

"Map appropriate armor ability"

That's better. Also curious how many abilities there are all together: jetpack, camo, hologram, forerunner vision, ?

Say a map, like you mentioned Blood Gulch, was getting to be played. What armor abilities will be present, all but jetpack? Still not a fan of camo in BTB playlists. Get it ouuuut.

BR being the primary loadout weapon, rather than giving players the option to use the DMR which is better at long range, in BTB would also be fitting.

Karl2177

No.

• DMR
  • Magnum
  • Frag Nades

This eases my mind a bit on how loadouts will work. It's something that Reach should have done, by having certain loadouts for certain maps. Like example for Reflection, not including the Jetpack.

feel

No.

• DMR
  • Magnum
  • Frag Nades

Cool.

Can you say if the DMR is 3x? Tiny reticule?

And is the BR supressed?

Homeboyd

Say a map, like you mentioned Blood Gulch, was getting to be played. What armor abilities will be present, all but jetpack? Still not a fan of camo in BTB playlists. Get it ouuuut.
Well you'd only have the one default loadout that the match itself provided, so for a map like that it would likely be sprint (already loaded) + whatever else makes sense. (outside of sprint, Im not sure what other revealed AA's make sense here)

The other loadouts would be your custom loadouts where you could put whatever the hell you wanted (that you've unlocked).

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Map specific default load outs? Damn, that's too good to be true! <3 you, 343.

That's some good news!

One question though: Is there only one loadout with a map tailored AA? Because I can see a situation where a player hates that AA that comes with the loadout but wants that long range weapon because he hasn't unlocked it yet and he would be dominated by other players without it. If that's the case, he would be either forced to use the AA he doesn't like or don't start with a longer ranged weapon and.

This eases my mind a bit on how loadouts will work. It's something that Reach should have done, by having certain loadouts for certain maps. Like example for Reflection, not including the Jetpack.

There's actually no negative in that statement, if you've earned your wings, it sounds like you can bring em with you. This is more just that, if you haven't earned something you really need for a map, it'll be there in some form for you.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
just so we're clear... even if you don't have the BR unlocked, that doesn't mean it isn't present within a default map loadout, correct? also, it would be present on the map itself as a pick up?

Anything dropped by another player is useable, all maps/modes (specialty lists like Snipers, for example, obviously ignore this rule) will contain at least one appropriate loadout UNSC "role" weapon, which would be DMR or BR depending on map. As described above. Ordnance is separate system from that, obviously.

Recarpo

A default loadout that's map specific? Sounds good. Seems like 343 is going really hard to balance everything they've put into the game.

What is the difference between a Tap and a Press? And how long should the delay be before the game acknowledges a Hold? You're entitled to your own opinion, but I don't think there's anything simple about that setup.

Think about how many people rage over accidentally triggering Assassinations - it would only be worse if you mapped AAs and Sprint to the same button. "Dammit, I meant to sprint away but instead I just turned on Forerunner Vision!"

Mapping multiple functions to one button only works if A) they're context sensitive or B) the difference between the functions isn't combat-essential. Assassinations are context sensitive, but even then they aren't always intentional. I'm sure many people would love to disable that feature because it DOES have a negative impact on your combat timeline when triggered accidentally.

It DOES work for Reload/Pick Up Weapon/Board Vehicle. If you're in combat and want to make sure you reload, don't stand over a weapon or next to a vehicle seat. The game is pretty smart about guessing your intention as you hold the button. AAs and Sprint don't have a clear context mechanism to prevent misfires.

I was merely saying simple from an accessability point of view.

But you are right, one button for different contexts are messy, bad company 2 has made this abudantly clear! : )

No.

• DMR
  • Magnum
  • Frag Nades

You are a beautiful man.

More GR FS beta codes!, qoute to reveal!

feel

Map specific default load outs? Damn, that's too good to be true! <3 you, 343.

Yeah that's not happening. He's just saying that each map lends you a default loadout to use in case you haven't unlocked any yourself.

Anything dropped by another player is useable, all maps/modes (specialty lists like Snipers, for example, obviously ignore this rule) will contain at least one appropriate loadout UNSC "role" weapon, which would be DMR or BR depending on map. As described above. Ordnance is separate system from that, obviously.

Is Ordnance the only weapon spawn system used during the game?

If I spawn with a Magnum but suddenly need a Plasma Pistol, is there somewhere on the map I can go to pick one up or do I have to find and kill an enemy player that spawned with the PP?

Ha, late to the party kittens, I already called myself out. You don't think that a couple people are borderline video game masochists? Its like they feed off the pain of non-perfection, all with very limited sources of information. Lets all wear black and talk about how much life sucks and how halo 4 is gonna suck, maaaan.

Edit: complaint about post complaining about people complaining about complaints about the game.
Honestly, there seems to be a lot more skepticism and criticism of Halo 4 than with past Bungie games because of Reach. Prior to launch, everyone was willing to believe Bungie and trust them that bloom, AAs, and the like would work &#8211; even after the beta &#8211; but people didn't like it in the end. Then to see 343i announce that Halo 4 will go in the direction of Reach (only AAs, really) but to a greater degree, and there you have where most of the resistance is coming from. People are less inclined to believe that this will all work out given their experiences with Reach.

No.

• DMR
  • Magnum
  • Frag Nades

Sounds great.

Myyke

Neo Member

If I spawn with a Magnum but suddenly need a Plasma Pistol, is there somewhere on the map I can go to pick one up or do I have to find and kill an enemy player that spawned with the PP?

My impression was that ordnance was just replacing power weapon static spawns.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah that's not happening. He's just saying that each map lends you a default loadout to use in case you haven't unlocked any yourself.
Yeah, I guess you're right. It sounds nice, but in a few days/weeks/months everyone will have their own custom load outs that defy the map defaults, so it doesn't really matter.

My impression was that ordnance was just replacing power weapon static spawns.
Power weapons will be available in fixed locations at the start of the match, and will then drop from the sky (lol) when they respawn. That's power weapons -- normal weapons will be scattered on the map like we're used to.

Top Bottom