• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Tawpgun

https://twitter.com/#!/RGIII/status/195329275396763648

zF7oH.png

It's official.

343 has solved the quitting problem. Praise the lawd.

Thats fair, info wise we got pretty decent stream but real footage has been lacking.

That's the only thing I want right now for Halo 4 news. Show me the pregame lobby where you can change your loadouts and an actual match that has the new mechanics like weapon drops, instant respawn and maybe forerunner vision.

unrealistic expectations ending now

Louis Wu

wtf Tunavi

And fuck you all for writing 800 new posts in the past 18 hours - I could have made this post a LONG time ago if I didn't have to catch up.

Unfortunately, I don't have time for a full writeup today - I'm headed out of town in a couple of hours, and will be pretty much without internet until Sunday night. (I guess that gives me time to polish something, though, right?)

Quick overview: There were two maps in rotation, Warhouse and Wraparound (both of which have been renamed, but new names aren't final/public yet) - so nothing new there.

The build was dated March 28 - but Frank said it was pretty much a polished-up version of what Devo and Domino played back at the Spring Showcase. Sounds were all over the map (hmm... bad choice of words) - some were simply awesome (PLASMA PISTOL OMG), some were missing altogether, others had placeholder versions. (The multiplayer announcer was clearly some guy from the studio. Pretty funny, actually... but I'm glad he's not final.)

I had some trouble getting used to finding Sprint on my left analog stick. (There are a million button layouts now, so you can pretty much set things up any way you want; I went with my normal (for me) Southpaw/Southpaw/Inverted setup, and that's where Sprint is. Crouch is on the B button, which is bizarre.) Because of this, I felt really slow sometimes.

This was exacerbated by the fact that I'd cranked my sensitivity way down; at the start, I couldn't hold the reticle on my opponents (felt like the equivalent of a 6 or 7 in Reach, so I turned it down from the default 4 to 3), but this made everything else feel... slower. Things were definitely better by the end of the night, and for people less ancient than me, the adaption will almost certainly happen faster.

Loadouts have a couple more slots than Reach loadouts. (In Reach, you get primary weapon, secondary weapon, grenade, AA - in H4, you get two more slots - I forget what they were called, but they hold things like increased regen and more ammo.) I primarily stuck with the first two loadouts - the first was BR/Plasma Pistol/Plas Grenade, while the second was DMR/pistol/frag. The DMR is a BEAST at range... but much harder to handle up close. The BR is a pretty fast killer up close, but at any real distance, you'll get beaten by a good DMR. The plasma pistol rocks. I don't know if it's just the sound... but DAMN. I was killing people with regular pepper shots (which aren't pepper at all in H4 - they're little mini balls of fire, it seems), and the noob combo is still a reliable annhilator. Overcharged shot seems to track, at least a little bit. (Not as much as Halo 1. :) )

Promethean Vision is actually pretty useful in very limited situations. It DOES let you see through walls (at least a limited number of walls; you can see people sort of near you) - but 1) you don't have very much of it (it runs out really quickly) and 2) it doesn't help you figure out where someone is if the geometry is really complicated. I guess this will become less relevant when we know the maps inside and out. It's really useful when someone dips behind a wall and then tries to fake you out... you can tell where they're going.

It also screws up colors, so if you're in the middle of a multi-person firefight, it adds more confusion than it removes. I'd say used judiciously, it's pretty cool - but as Frank said, a good player won't really need it.

Dammit. That's what I have time for. I'll try and come back in a little while to see if there are questions, but a full writeup needs to wait. Sorry!

wtf Tunavi

And fuck you all for writing 800 new posts in the past 18 hours - I could have made this post a LONG time ago if I didn't have to catch up.

Unfortunately, I don't have time for a full writeup today - I'm headed out of town in a couple of hours, and will be pretty much without internet until Sunday night. (I guess that gives me time to polish something, though, right?)

Quick overview: There were two maps in rotation, Warhouse and Wraparound (both of which have been renamed, but new names aren't final/public yet) - so nothing new there.

The build was dated March 28 - but Frank said it was pretty much a polished-up version of what Devo and Domino played back at the Spring Showcase. Sounds were all over the map (hmm... bad choice of words) - some were simply awesome (PLASMA PISTOL OMG), some were missing altogether, others had placeholder versions. (The multiplayer announcer was clearly some guy from the studio. Pretty funny, actually... but I'm glad he's not final.)

I had some trouble getting used to finding Sprint on my left analog stick. (There are a million button layouts now, so you can pretty much set things up any way you want; I went with my normal (for me) Southpaw/Southpaw/Inverted setup, and that's where Sprint is. Crouch is on the B button, which is bizarre.) Because of this, I felt really slow sometimes.

This was exacerbated by the fact that I'd cranked my sensitivity way down; at the start, I couldn't hold the reticle on my opponents (felt like the equivalent of a 6 or 7 in Reach, so I turned it down from the default 4 to 3), but this made everything else feel... slower. Things were definitely better by the end of the night, and for people less ancient than me, the adaption will almost certainly happen faster.

Loadouts have a couple more slots than Reach loadouts. (In Reach, you get primary weapon, secondary weapon, grenade, AA - in H4, you get two more slots - I forget what they were called, but they hold things like increased regen and more ammo.) I primarily stuck with the first two loadouts - the first was BR/Plasma Pistol/Plas Grenade, while the second was DMR/pistol/frag. The DMR is a BEAST at range... but much harder to handle up close. The BR is a pretty fast killer up close, but at any real distance, you'll get beaten by a good DMR. The plasma pistol rocks. I don't know if it's just the sound... but DAMN. I was killing people with regular pepper shots (which aren't pepper at all in H4 - they're little mini balls of fire, it seems), and the noob combo is still a reliable annhilator. Overcharged shot seems to track, at least a little bit. (Not as much as Halo 1. :) )

Promethean Vision is actually pretty useful in very limited situations. It DOES let you see through walls (at least a limited number of walls; you can see people sort of near you) - but 1) you don't have very much of it (it runs out really quickly) and 2) it doesn't help you figure out where someone is if the geometry is really complicated. I guess this will become less relevant when we know the maps inside and out. It's really useful when someone dips behind a wall and then tries to fake you out... you can tell where they're going.

It also screws up colors, so if you're in the middle of a multi-person firefight, it adds more confusion than it removes. I'd say used judiciously, it's pretty cool - but as Frank said, a good player won't really need it.

Dammit. That's what I have time for. I'll try and come back in a little while to see if there are questions, but a full writeup needs to wait. Sorry!
Thanks for the short write-up. It sounds great for me. Especially that the Forerunner Vision is actually called Promethean Vision. :)

monome

Cortana ship logs over the years in deep space? The OTHER journal that hasley kept that she was using for like 4+ years, and the pages she ripped out?

Still also really want a large t-shirt of the new 343 logo they've been using in a limited edition. :p

Mmh. A folder about an ONI analyse of the Shield World Requiem, Cortana etc.

That's the kind of dope things I would want now.

I hate limited editions, stuff that comes with it is generally miniaturised for packaging sake, and it would not stand to be retailed on its own (which shows it should not exist in the first place), that said the idea of a journal was great, but I wished I could have a digital.

I hope for halo 4, there is a limited edition console, but beyond that I'd rather have TOR books, threeAAA or play arts toys and great artbooks like the limited edition Titan book rather than a sht package ala ME3.

wtf Tunavi

Thanks for the write-up, Wu. Was the DMR 3x scope?

Given the PP starts in the build, I hope that means 343 has either removed the EM effect from the weapon or will not allow PP starts in BTB.
I think that name pretty much confirms the ancient enemy we'll be facing.
Yup.

wtf Tunavi

thanks for the writeup :D.

default controls sound very similar to cod (sprint being on analog stick, B to crouch) so im hoping one the other control setups are more like Reach or Halo 3.

i still dont like what im hearing with those two extra spots for the loadouts, if you could elaborate how they played in the game when you get to the full writeup it would be great.

and forerunner vision sounds balanced which is good to heard.

thanks again for the summary :D

Increased regen/ammo sounds bad.

And something about sprint being left stick just sounds wrong. Hope Bumper Jumper fares better than it did in Reach.

Increased regen/ammo sounds bad.

And something about sprint being left stick just sounds wrong. Hope Bumper Jumper fares better than it did in Reach.

Increased ammo only sounds bad for power weapons, i rarely run out of ammo for guns like the BR, AR, DMR, etc. I feel like it would be pointless for to use in a loadout.

monome

I think that name pretty much confirms the ancient enemy we'll be facing.

Doesn't make sense to make the Didact the old, dark ancient enemy when Precursors, dead or alive, still stir shit in the galaxy.

That said I'll happily fight off against Forerunners, but I don't think they are a, per say, a menace beyond anything the Chief has ever faced.
It reeks of the Arbiter introduction...

quick google search says yes...I'm not touching COD MP, ever.

WJD

Cheers for the impressions, Wu.

I'm definitely becoming won over bit by bit, however I have a few reservations about the 'other' loadout slots. Last man standing/martyr incoming?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I'm definitely becoming won over bit by bit, however I have a few reservations about the 'other' loadout slots. Last man standing/martyr incoming?

No. Like tuning your car for handling versus swapping out the engine. More deets at a later time.

wouldn't be surprised if we saw martyrdom at this point, even though you can essentially drop a live grenade before you die in reach or halo 3.

would be taken back if a last stand esque type perk was in the game.

Did he not say that there is a lot of configuration available? :)
Oh I am not saying it won't be swapped in one or another, but having it as the default (assuming Southpaw is just swapped triggers) rustles my jimmies as nitpicky and stupid as that sounds!

Though I'm hoping BJ turns out fine, or at least have some kind of layout that won't have me sacrificing my ability to simultaneously aim and do other actions.

I never liked FF in Reach as much as I did ODST.

wtf Tunavi

Wow, great writeup! I feel like this made more sense of things than the GI article, haha.

Anyways, while I know you probably wont have time to answer, Im still gonna post the general questions it leave me with-

-Are sprint and AA's on separate buttons?
-Were there any new weapons? (missile pistol, Assault Carbine)
-Was Jetpack useable? If so, how does it operate?
-What about other AA's?

Hopefully some of those questions may get answers as others post impressions.. Its kinda crazy that we are gonna get these details from random people who played it rather than the press or 343 haha.

Oh, one more:
-How do weapon spawns work? Are there a lot less weapons in play now with the ordinance system?

daedalius

No. Like tuning your car for handling versus swapping out the engine. More deets at a later time.

That is an interesting analogy, because there is a lot of tuning you can do to the handling/suspension in a game like Forza ;)

No one noticed the Forerunner-like AI or Hologram in the Bulletin? Or at least I think it looks like it.

Edit.: I'm talking about this:

Looks like Cortana investigating Forerunner terminals, at least I think that vaguely looks like her shape up top; could totally be a different AI.

What exactly does the MS creative services group do?
I was going to go with "They figure out ways to service us creatively" but Ellis beat me to it. Doesn't that kind of humor violate Microsoft's standards and practices?

Increased ammo only sounds bad for power weapons, i rarely run out of ammo for guns like the BR, AR, DMR, etc. I feel like it would be pointless for to use in a loadout.

More ammo sounds like you spawn with more ammo for your loadout weapons, which could be useful in some circumstances, but it's certainly not game-breaking. Something like faster shield regeneration doesn't bother me because it doesn't interrupt the flow of an encounter (the disruption happens when I'm nowhere near the guy with the perk/bees or after he's defeated me--in which case I don't care that he gets his shields back). Compare those two abilities to something like armor lock which absolutely interrupts an encounter and directly affects my enjoyment of the game.

So far so good 343.

No one noticed the Forerunner-like AI or Hologram in the Bulletin? Or at least I think it looks like it.

I didn't actually click on the images, but there are actually new concept art pieces in there.

I thought the image you linked looked like some kind of control room.
More ammo sounds like you spawn with more ammo for your loadout weapons, which could be useful in some circumstances, but it's certainly not game-breaking. Something like faster shield regeneration doesn't bother me because it doesn't interrupt the flow of an encounter (the disruption happens when I'm nowhere near the guy with the perk/bees or after he's defeated me--in which case I don't care that he gets his shields back). Compare those two abilities to something like armor lock which absolutely interrupts an encounter and directly affects my enjoyment of the game.

So far so good 343.

Faster shield regeneration could actually influence the battle. Your opponent with the ''perk'' for faster shield regen has an edge over you when you guys are both waiting for your shield to recharge after a 1v1. His shields will be fully charged while you're still waiting. That'll result in him getting to you and probably kill you while you are still recharging your shields.

Of course, we don't know what the difference will be so this is all exaggerated speculation.

monome

I'm not trying to be a dick monome, but I really do not see what you're trying to say. Often your posts seem like a miss match of random thoughts, without really making a solid point.

certainly no offense taken.

I'm not technically efficient enough in FPS to discuss matters of BR/DMR all the time, although I take notice of people's technical posts to try and improve my game.

I post from phone during work breaks mostly, so don't bother looking for a refined analysis, I'm mostly venting...sorry.

Yet Halo gets me "giddy", it's a series I want to talk about, it's not so big in France, pretty hard to have a Halo conversation in a bar...so here I'm Halogaf. Don't mind you don't care, just don't hate.

To sum up entirely, I'm pretty used to game reveals now, and Halo 4 should not go counter-current, but I wished its marketing would be bolder, more exquisite and reaching beyond the business motivations of getting first look at the n°1 US publication etc...

never thought I would get a boner from looking at the inside of a structure...disturbing.
A bit big to hold a Forerunner AI? thought they didn't have the problem of transfering a chip to get an AI, but the whole Mantle thing is not clear to me, excpet it is not working properly even before Forerunners are bye bye.

Top Bottom