• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

*needs to read something different because HaloGAF is weird, goes to OT, Sensation of Pentration, Bronies, TransGAF, rough sex life of American spiders*

Ok, internet.

Ok.

CyReN

Killa KC (MLG Gametester) talks Halo 4

Before I talk about Halo 4, it's very important for everyone to understand this. The developer bashing that happens in our community has to stop. Every time Halo 4 details are released, the competitive community is there to rip apart every detail and publicly blast 343 about their decisions. If this continues, I would not be surprised if the majority of developers walk away from the competitive audience and consider them a community that simply cannot be satisfied. When you see new information on an upcoming game, think about the positives it could bring to the game first. If you're certain it's something that will simply not work, come together with positive feedback on how to improve it or tweak it. Blasting employee Twitter accounts and bashing the game hurts everyone.

---

I was invited by Frankie to get my hands on Halo 4 last night in NYC. Microsoft was holding a very exclusive party with some football players that were here for the NFL draft and some press (tv shows and magazine mostly it seemed). There were a couple of community guys there as well.

The multiplayer was setup for 4v4 and 8-player FFA. We played 2 Maps back and forth. Wraparound and Warhouse. Both of these Maps have been seen in the various videos and images on the web. Wraparound had an center platform that was connected via bridges and air lifts with a circular exterior. Warhouse was a multi-level structure with a few outer rooms and hallways. Both Maps were fairly small in size and played TS and FFA very well.

We were allowed to select from some different pre-set loadouts, but could not customize them. Loadouts were selected very similar to the way they were in Reach with armor abilities. Select at the start of the game or press X when you die to change your loadout. In the menu, you can edit the loadouts (we were not able to in this build). The loadouts had a mixture of the following things (anything not listed here I was not able to play with):

BR
DMR
AR
Plasma Pistol
Magnum
Frag Grenades
Plasma Grenades
Hologram
Promethean Vision

There were no power weapons on the Maps and I didn't see the weapon drop pods. Can't answer any questions about anything other than what is listed above.

I played with default controls that had Sprint mapped to clicking in the left joystick and crouch bring the B button. It made crouching difficult, but using sprint, abilities, and everything else really easy. I didn’t take any time to flip through the different controls. Sprint felt less clunky than Halo Reach’s sprint, but overall was similar. You do run out of sprint in which felt about the same amount of time you’d run out of sprint in Reach.

I was explicitly told that weapon tuning is still being refined. This is a very very early build of the game and all the weapons are still being tuned. I'm only writing about what I actually played with.

On Twitter, a ton of people asked BR or DMR. I started playing with the BR for a while. There is no bloom and all 3 bullets are very accurate, but there was some small bullet spread. Also, there is some recoil. After shooting a clip at the wall to test the bullet spread, my reticule was fairly higher than where I started shooting. The DMR was single shot with bloom. However, the bloom reset much faster than the DMR in Halo Reach. I didn't have to pace my shots much at all. Both the DMR and BR were 5-shot weapons in this build. At the end of the night, I preferred the DMR. It shot faster than the BR, took the same amount of shots to kill, and I didn't feel like the bloom made me miss shots all that often.

Promethean Vision is the new see-through-walls ability. When you hit it, a wave of heat-mapping goes out across the screen and shows you nearby enemies. It does not show you all the way across the Map, just fairly close proximity. The enemies are also alerted when you do it. It reminded me a bit of Enhanced Vision from Shadowrun, but not as powerful. Offensively, I would ping the vision before entering a room and then charge in knowing which person to pick off first or whether I should not charge in.

Hologram was very similar to the hologram from Halo Reach. Not much to say here.

Magnum also had bloom and was very similar to Halo Reach. It could be shot very fast, but the bloom would make it very inaccurate. It had 8 bullets in the clip and was a 6-shot kill. The Plasma Pistol shoots a little bit slower now when rapidly pressing the trigger, but each shot seemed to do more damage. The homing mechanism on a charged shot seemed to be toned down quite a bit.

Press X to spawn was in the games I played. However, since they were FFA and TS game types, I didn't notice it much. Not sure if that feature will appear in objective game modes or not.

In the end, the game looks and sounds amazing. At its core, it's the Halo everyone knows and loves. Movement felt great and I had a really great time playing it for the short amount of time I had. Hopefully 343 will invite us to a longer test session with more features available where we can provide feedback.

Gazzawa

*needs to read something different because HaloGAF is weird, goes to OT, Sensation of Pentration, Bronies, TransGAF, rough sex life of American spiders*

Ok, internet.

Ok.

E3 cannot get here soon enough!
It will be all downhill from there till Halo 4. In which case we will have a two week break before resuming Halo 5 discussion.

kylej

Banned
Ordinance drops are pretty cool. When you earn one (I don't know what I did to earn them), you get a little thingy in your UI that pops up - three choices, mapped to three buttons on your D-Pad. Pick your drop, and it'll appear in the default location for that power weapon soon after. That is: Let's say we're talking about Powerhouse. When the game starts, there are no Rockets in the outlet under the station... but as soon as someone earns a drop, and picks Rockets, they'll pop in there. Everyone gets notified that they're about to drop - but the dropper obviously knows a little sooner. So you can either get there first, and snag 'em... or get there and set up a trap. :)

te.gif

WJD

Very happy to hear that the movement speed and "feel" are back. Shame about BR being a 5-shot and if the bloom on the DMR is like TU bloom then I think I'll be able to cope with it. Not so sure whether Pistol bloom is entirely necessary though.

Some things I noticed:
-BR is 5-shot
-DMR has bloom, 5 shot kill
-Pistol has bloom, 6 shots kill

Hopefully, things will change from this build but it doesn't sound all to bad.
Pistol is a 6 shot kill with only an 8 bullet clip and bloom to boot? Wow. I was really hoping we'd get away from the 5 shot or more kill nonsense. It sounds like things could still be changed, but why do I get the feeling that's not going to happen?

Computron

He's totally right about this:

The developer bashing that happens in our community has to stop. Every time Halo 4 details are released, the competitive community is there to rip apart every detail and publicly blast 343 about their decisions.

Recarpo

Some things I noticed:
-BR is 5-shot
-DMR has bloom, 5 shot kill
-Pistol has bloom, 6 shots kill

Hopefully, things will change from this build but it doesn't sound all to bad.

That's what I noticed too, but considering he was explicitly told that they were still fine tuning the weapons, I'm sure that will change one way or another a few times before the game launches.

Surely he's mistaken when he said the DMR shoots faster than the BR?

How can bloom be relevant when the DMR's ROF has been lowered from the Reach version?

BLOOM!??!!?!>!(4857437372w8q18^%$£%"&"*"*

kylej

Banned
I'm also glad we got news today that bloom is back and the BR is 5-shot. Halo 4 honestly could not possibly sound any worse right now. Every single bit of information that gets released is not just abysmal, it's so hilariously creatively bankrupt. It's COD in space. Seriously.

They have completely destroyed just about every fundamental part of Halo multiplayer in favor of chasing after COD money - which they won't get. I do not understand.

Computron

We got a full BTB squad's worth of players getting the game now. Join the Fun!

Just reposing this so It has the top of this page and is seen by more people, not everyone can keep up with GAF:

I want to play Halo 2 With GAF.

What do you all think about this?

Would you be up for this?

iblntwVy8yQbk9.png

Links:

Halo 2 Amazon

Wireless Controller Adapter

What we play depends on how many people participate and what we want to play. 

Does next weekend work for everyone or should I push it forward to allow for shipping time?

Like it says, if you want to participate, PM ME. 

If your considering it, PM me so I can get an estimate of how many of you there will be.

Any suggestions? Questions, about this or Halo 2 Vista?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm also glad we got news today that bloom is back and the BR is 5-shot. Halo 4 honestly could not possibly sound any worse right now. Every single bit of information that gets released is not just abysmal, it's so hilariously creatively bankrupt. It's COD in space. Seriously.

They have completely destroyed just about every fundamental part of Halo multiplayer in favor of chasing after COD money - which they won't get. I do not understand.

lol so dramatic

Haven't we already been told that bloom as it is found in Reach would not be in Halo 4?

I don't mind regardless, but I could've sworn that was said.

Hey Computron, I'm almost positive that the Play & Charge kit does NOT work with the PC like a standard wired 360 controller does.

I definitely want to double check though, because if you're right instead, I'll be a happy camper, lol.

Halo 2 PC is awesome.

Reach + COD + BR = Halo 4.

Top Bottom