• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Fracas

#fuckonami
Yay, Halo 2 is up and running. My laptop's not good enough to run it at max settings and get 60fps, but it's pretty close. Will definitely be playing this weekend.

Karl2177

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw2fmT9mgas&feature=g-u-u

I think Bungie accidentally forgot to set a video to Private on their youtube channel. Audio is completely fucked. Title doesn't seem final either.

Urk?
I love hearing all 5 of the audio tracks at once.

That encounter was about half an hour too short. For once there was a battle that looked straight out of one of the better Halo ads and it was over before you knew it.

Fully agreed, but it was a very good encounter(singular).

A weak magnum may indicate that their are better secondary weapons that can be unlocked. Probably nothing like the 3-shot magnum from Anniversary, but the ODST pistol and a two kills per magazine magnum could be in the game as well.

If I can start every game with either a BR or a DMR I am less concerned with the quality of the pistol. It's amazing how many problems that solves.

A weak magnum may indicate that their are better secondary weapons that can be unlocked. Probably nothing like the 3-shot magnum from Anniversary, but the ODST pistol and a two kills per magazine magnum could be in the game as well.

If I can start every game with either a BR or a DMR I am less concerned with the quality of the pistol. It's amazing how many problems that solves.

Well I really doubt that just because they are having unlocks, that the weapons you unlock later are just going to be straight up better.

I don't think they give you a shitty Magnum just to unlock a better Pistol later, making the Magnum irrelevant. I trust that 343 is not doing that with the unlock system, that would be pretty awful.

I'm not saying that other pistols can't be in the game of course.

Reach also suffered from way too many scripted events and stuff that basically played out the same way every time.
It's a (seemingly?) funny paradox. The type of on-rails section in the Reach campaign, which most everyone doesn't like, looks extremely similar to the one presented in the Halo 2 E3 demo. People, however, love that demo, and wanted the game to resemble it.

Schmitty

I see we are making lists again...

If I were to give my opinion, Halo CE is my top followed by ODST. ODST's atmosphere is what puts it over 3 for me. Halo 3's story was not very coherent. Halo 2 wasn't that bad and I liked the arbiter, but I don't remember replaying campaign that much. I don't really know where to put Reach. I loved the levels, but the story was boring.

senador

Banned
Cause I like The Library. Favorite Flood level in the entire Halo series. The only one I like, really.

And not tonight. Got an IRL friend to hang out with. Soon!

I too like The Librery. Especially in CEA with the hawtness of the shotgun and the new colors and visual. Mmm. I need to replay CEA.

I see we are making lists again...

If I were to give my opinion, Halo CE is my top followed by ODST. ODST's atmosphere is what puts it over 3 for me. Halo 3's story was not very coherent. Halo 2 wasn't that bad and I liked the arbiter, but I don't remember replaying campaign that much. I don't really know where to put Reach. I loved the levels, but the story was boring.

This is ListGAF, after all:

1. Halo: CE
2. Tied Halo 2 and ODST
3. Halo 3
4. Reach.

The making of video Bungie uploaded of Halo 2 (mentioned by earlier posters) was a fantastic re-watch!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q69Msy8ttM

I wish 343i had hired Jamie Griesemer when he left Bungie. Seeing him in this reminded me of some thing I read from him about how detailed they were with the gameplay and everything in Halo. I can't even remember the details of it, but he was talking about how much of a difference a few tenths of a second makes with certain weapons. The dude really knew what he was talking about. Him not being the sandbox designer on Reach really hurt IMO.

Havok

I wish 343i had hired Jamie Griesemer when he left Bungie. Seeing him in this reminded me of some thing I read from him about how detailed they were with the gameplay and everything in Halo. I can't even remember the details of it, but he was talking about how much of a difference a few tenths of a second makes with certain weapons. The dude really knew what he was talking about. Him not being the sandbox designer on Reach really hurt IMO.
That sounds like the GDC talk (maybe it was DICE?) he did titled "Changing the Time Between Shots for the Sniper Rifle from 0.5 to 0.7 Seconds for Halo 3" that he did. I think that's the same one that's listed as "Design in Detail" on the Bungie Publications page, but it's a great read either way.

His Tip of the Sphere blog is also incredibly enlightening.

That sounds like the GDC talk (maybe it was DICE?) he did titled "Changing the Time Between Shots for the Sniper Rifle from 0.5 to 0.7 Seconds for Halo 3" that he did. I think that's the same one that's listed as "Design in Detail" on the Bungie Publications page, but it's a great read either way.

His Tip of the Sphere blog is also incredibly enlightening.

Yeah I think that was it. Really good read. You never hear that about that much detail in games from developers. Not that Bungie is the only developer that does that, but it was just cool to read about it.

Soooo, I came back to this model.
It's now baked down into a 8k tri model from a 2.6 million one, so this is pretty much the level of detail you will get in game.

Just put in the base texture layers to define the materials.
I think I like this color scheme more than the tan Halo 4 one.
I might do something with a white digital army camo for the lighter plastic materials.

like this:

bZT3A.png

Maybe...

When I finish, i'm probably going to slap this puppy into Halo 2 Vista in case you guys wanna use it, if I can get shaders and tags working correctly.
Can't wait to see more.. I really would love to see this running in Halo 2 vista! Hell, why stop with the BR.. You should so a few more weapons, or even the new grunt? Haha

Sorry - yes.
Curious, is the Pistol in those pics from the GI video the 6sk pistol, or a different variant?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q69Msy8ttM&feature=g-u-u

Behind the Scenes Making of Halo 2. Audio seems good. Just put up. I'm guessing this was what was on the DVD.

edit: I'm hoppin on Halo if any of you nerds wanna play... NYSTOFMIND23

Awesome video, watching it now! Im glad Bungie decided to put these up..strangely enough I just re-watched the Halo 3 LE contents a few days ago.

Well I really doubt that just because they are having unlocks, that the weapons you unlock later are just going to be straight up better.

I don't think they give you a shitty Magnum just to unlock a better Pistol later, making the Magnum irrelevant. I trust that 343 is not doing that with the unlock system, that would be pretty awful.

I'm not saying that other pistols can't be in the game of course.

I don't think they would do that either, but maybe there would be secondary weapons that are not strictly better, but would be better for a player like me (fewer shots to kill but more recoil for instance).

In any case I really doubt the magnum will remain at 6 shots to kill. The magazine size I can believe but 6 shots to kill after Reach's 5 shot magnum and Anniversary's 3 shot (special circumstances of course) would be surprising.

I don't think they would do that either, but maybe there would be secondary weapons that are not strictly better, but would be better for a player like me (fewer shots to kill but more recoil for instance).

In any case I really doubt the magnum will remain at 6 shots to kill. The magazine size I can believe but 6 shots to kill after Reach's 5 shot magnum and Anniversary's 3 shot (special circumstances of course) would be surprising.

Yeah with the 8 round clip, I doubt the Magnum is a 6 shot kill right now. I think Killa KC just made a mistake counting/didn't hit a shot he thought he did. As we have found, misinformation from these types of events is common.

Even a 5 shot kill with an 8 round clip is an unbelievably frustrating way to "balance"/gimp a weapon, I'd hope they wouldn't go as far to have a 6 shot kill for an 8 round clip.

GhaleonEB

I'm really going to argue with this. Reach's campaign was the poorest of all of them. There may not have been a "Cortana", "Coastal Highway", or "Library" mission; but there weren't any "Halo", "Delta Halo", "Ark", or "NMPD" missions either. Almost all of the encounters of Reach were forgettable, save for a few. The only ones that stick out in my head as being good are the intro to Sword Base, Traxus tower approach, New Alexandria flying, and Long Night intro. I really want to write up more, but my headache is getting to me. :/

You're misreading what I wrote. I didn't place Reach in a hierarchy in that post, just note some of its relative strengths and weaknesses. If you want my full view on the campaign (sans music and story, which I cut for space), it's here.

What the campaign gets right is that it's really, really fun to shoot aliens in it. (This is the same reason I love Reach's Firefight, despite the flaws.) But that's about the only thing it really nailed. Were I to rank the campaigns, I'd rank it at the bottom as well. I don't think it's bad - I find things like a Halo campaign far too complex, with too many pros and cons to sum up in one word dismissals. It's crazy flawed, yet I have a lot of fun while I'm playing it. I just finished Winter Contingency and had fun, yet I could write an essay (and sort of did) about all the things it does wrong.

The story telling is infuriating; I cut it from my review partly for space and partly because I found myself ranting, rather than reviewing.

#####

One thing I hope Halo 4 contains is strong internal pacing. I still think Halo 3 had the best pacing in the series, with Sierra 117 through The Covenant a gradually escalating series of crescendos. Every mission brought something new to the table in terms of encounter design, and the scale just kept ramping up and up and up. ODST put you in control of the pace, which worked well, but Reach didn't really have any good internal structure. It was just a series of missions; you could re-arrange them and not really impact the flow any.

Computron

Yay, Halo 2 is up and running. My laptop's not good enough to run it at max settings and get 60fps, but it's pretty close. Will definitely be playing this weekend.

Turn off AA, their version isn't terribly effecient.

EDIT: Havok mentioned forcing VSync at the driver level fixed a lot of issues with the game for his set-up

Top Bottom