• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

feel

Also, Obama came out in full support of gay marriage today.
Someone on HaloGAF please tell me if I am upset about this or not.

He's not being a white knight, he gets it in a sea of people who don't. I appreciate that. All I know is if the framerate stumbles or recoil is annoying or the maps are shitty, I am going to be drinking salty tears on a nearly biblical level come November.
Nah, it'll be ok if it sucks, another bad Halo game will still be acceptable because with a full party people get to win a lot and have some lulz putting up with the shittyness together as a group and then post on gaf about it for 2-3 years.

Tawpgun

Someone on HaloGAF please tell me if I am upset about this or not.

Nah, it'll be ok if it sucks, another bad Halo game will still be acceptable because with a full party people get to win a lot and have some lulz putting up with the shittyness together as a group and then post on gaf about it for 2-3 years.

Halo 4 |OT 53| by the end of the first month.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Is it worth reading? I try not to give clicks to dumb articles that just try to build off hype.
Breaks down to this:

• Microsoft Games Studios vice-president Phil Spencer told OXM last August, shortly after the unveiling of not one, not two, but three new Halo games, together dubbed the "Reclaimer" trilogy. It's a significant choice of callsign if you're a Halo buff - "Reclaimers", after all, are individuals deemed worthy by the Forerunners of manhandling their technology.
  • The FPS is still Microsoft's favourite genre. Probably. Goes on to say due to sales of FPS games.
  • Microsoft is putting cash back into first party.
  • The next Xbox will be a hefty horsepower jump
  • 343 says it's cleaned out Xbox 360. "We're out of space, we're out of horsepower, we're out of everything," founder Frank O'Connor told us at Microsoft's Spring Showcase in San Francisco. "If you're doing your best work that machine should be exhausted when you're done, and we're getting there.
  • Next gen games won't be games, they'll be online services. The sheer scope of Microsoft and 343's plans for Halo 4 online points to a dramatic expansion of Xbox Live over the next few years. The studio has transformed multiplayer into a standalone narrative universe, centering on the UNSC Infinity and her crew of tough-nut Spartan IVs. It plans to release five free story-driven Spartan Ops missions a week, presumably indefinitely.
  • Big first party releases will arrive more frequently

Louis Wu

All I know is if the framerate stumbles or recoil is annoying or the maps are shitty, I am going to be drinking salty tears on a nearly biblical level come November.
Oh, absolutely, because we all know that people who choose not to complain about a game they haven't seen yet lose all rights to complain when that game has problems upon release.

This feels relevant again:

i3SIfRHJPr06u.png

Breaks down to this:
Thanks Plywood.
So not the worst article, but fairly obvious (and some questionable points) if you spend your time on GAF.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
This is Halo, not life and death. I'm sure the full game will have things some folks like, some don't. It will also have things that can be tweaked and tuned, just like every other online Halo game.

Louis Wu

Ok but I didn't say that.
Sorry, maybe I misunderstood your expression. I always thought that the whole 'drinking the tears' thing implied that you get to enjoy the unhappiness of others, especially when that unhappiness is unjustified. I read your post and interpreted it as "because I'm willing to be negative now, I can take pleasure in others' unhappiness later, when I turn out to be right and they all turn out to be wrong."

::shrug:: maybe I got that wrong.

This is Halo, not life and death. I'm sure the full game will have things some folks like, some don't. It will also have things that can be tweaked and tuned, just like every other online Halo game.
Oh definitely. I said something similar (that I would like some things and be disappointed by others) a few months ago and Frankie flat out agreed.

kylej

Banned
Sorry, maybe I misunderstood your expression. I always thought that the whole 'drinking the tears' thing implied that you get to enjoy the unhappiness of others, especially when that unhappiness is unjustified. I read your post and interpreted it as "because I'm willing to be negative now, I can take pleasure in others' unhappiness later, when I turn out to be right and they all turn out to be wrong."

::shrug:: maybe I got that wrong.

Never said people don't have a right to be unhappy, just when I've received a torrent of "have faith in 343, you don't know what you're talking about, you haven't played it, why complain, stop complaining" I will soak up the tears if it turns out I was right.

No offense but I really don't expect the guy who was personally invited by Frankie to preview Halo 4 early to hop on my side when I claim I don't have faith in 343 and don't like what I've seen lol

Trey

Never said people don't have a right to be unhappy, just when I've received a torrent of "have faith in 343, you don't know what you're talking about, you haven't played it, why complain, stop complaining" I will soak up the tears if it turns out I was right.

No offense but I really don't expect the guy who was personally invited by Frankie to preview Halo 4 early to hop on my side when I claim I don't have faith in 343 and don't like what I've seen lol

What about that MLG guy?

kylej

Banned
What about that MLG guy?

Killa KC? All I know from that preview was what Cyren wrote. I don't recall reading any real interesting revelations, correct me if I'm wrong. Either way, time to move on. HaloGAF has given recoil the stamp of approval, I'm sure it'll be minor, easily adaptable and you won't even notice it after a few games. On to the next topic.

neoism

Kyle, Halo's a sandbox game. The point of multiple weapons is to create a variety of scenarios. The point of a role weapon, like the DMR or BR (contrary to your wild imaginings) is to give a pivotal, predictable weapon for mid to long range encounters. You may just be bad at communicating what you want, you're certainly corrosively negative and completely oblivious to that fact when called on it (sensitive!) but there has never been a Halo game that didn't contain the elements I just mentioned. Never.

SMG had recoil.
Sniper has changed every single game.
DMR has changed between Reach and 4.
BR has changed between 3 and 4.
Rockets used to have lock on.

The recoil you're upset about is trivial. Most people won't even notice it. If you don't like it, try the DMR. If you don't like the DMR, try something else. We're literally at a point where you're complaining about things you've never tried, and when the tiniest likelihood that these things might be OK is raised, you cover your ears anyway. It's OK if you don't like those things. I don't like Smash Bros. As you can't see from my post history in the Smash Bros thread.

Claude came in. Hardly an MLG Pro. And said it had almost no effect on his ability to aim. You diismissed that fact based opinion out of hand.

So to your earlier point about how nobody is prepared to discuss these things with you - what's the point? You literally don't listen anyway.

For some reason watching the last person finish in Supercross is one of the funniest things on XBL.
<3

Tawpgun

Personally, I'm inclined to believe the framerate will be locked at 30 at all times. I think 343 knows the problems forge world, and even some campaign environments in Reach caused. Only problem I'm seeing is a huge increase in graphics. At least from the pictures and such that we got. That might cause performance problems.

Reach netcode is so good its only comparable to Gears 3 for me. And I don't play on Gears Dedi's. If they have the same netcode, then I'd be content. Dedi's would be nice, but its not huge priority imo. Halo netcode is good enough to warrant spending resources on other things.

60 FPS would be nice, but if Halo 4 can manage a steady locked 30, that'd be perfect. I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's not the number of frames per second that matters. It's the consistency.

Recoil seems negligible. From your statements and from memories of the Reach Beta DMR.
------------

My big issue with Halo 4 will be the Ordanance System, the armor mods, Armor abilities, loadouts, and sprint getting annoying. Those are things I still need 343 to prove they're doing right, because I don't like what's been said about them already.

neoism

Probably wont get Legendary edition for this one.
I just want the game. Not useless junk.
Put that shit in boxes of cereal not in a game box.
word up

yeah I'm proud I never got one just the game is the most important thing soo.. Diablo 3's is one of the only one I've seen I wanted a little bit, but still just got the regular version.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
yeah I'm proud I never got one just the game is the most important thing soo.. Diablo 3's is one of the only one I've seen I wanted a little bit, but still just got the regular version.

I still like my Gears/Reach statues. It's just bullshit that both companies lied to their fans about the exclusivity of them (and F that bullshit about MS 'tricking' them).

The new LE would have to be something pretty fucking outstanding for me to bite again.

Dani would probably faint.

(Awesome pics are awesome.)

"Please sir, may I have a BR?"

Wat? You want BR?!?

Vanilla Slayer AR starts on Hemorrhage for you!

I wonder if Neil Davidge will also compose musics for Forward Unto Dawn.
343 gets to draw on all the music composed for Halo to date so even if he doesn't have anything new for them, I'm sure the score will be good.

I still like my Gears/Reach statues. It's just bullshit that both companies lied to their fans about the exclusivity of them (and F that bullshit about MS 'tricking' them).

The new LE would have to be something pretty fucking outstanding for me to bite again.

I'd pay some extra cash for something like the Halsey Journal. That's probably my favorite "promotional throw-in" for any product ever.

Starring Martin Lawrence as Cortana?
*pause*
Yes.

Cortana: [on seeing a grunt] Oh, shit. These ain't normal grunts.
Chief: What my partner means is that these are a special breed called, umm...
Cortana: Big motherfuckers.

or

Cortana: You see that?
Chief: They throwin' ghosts! How'd I not see that?
Cortana: Hey, John, I'm just trying to be helpful.
Chief: Hey, you'd know what would be fuckin' helpful, Cortana? Just shut the fuck up and let me drive, let's try that!

or

[after Chief's flashback about his abduction and training]
Cortana: John, you go to Halsey to get your suit fixed, not bang her.
Chief: Now you just talking nasty.

kylej

Banned
Do before and after speed tests. I wonder if it will make a difference.

I used to pull close to 30mbps down, but I had to swap routers back to my old piece of shit because of a compatibility issue. Right now I think I pull about 8mb down, 2 or 3 up. Hopefully this new one can handle my fat pipe.

Isn't it 1pm in California? And isn't Formal like 16 or so? I don't know how these kids play video games during the day instead of being in high school.

Top Bottom