• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Even though I'm not really a BTB guy, I really want to see some large maps more than anything. Weird.
I'm not really into BTB all that much, either, but after Reach, I think we're all starving for some truly good BTB maps.

Plus, I'm really curious about Halo 4's vehicles.

If Frankie stops posting here, millions of website's news sources will die immediately.

Ads will be pulled from these sites.

Employees will be let go.

Owners shut down businesses and declare bankruptcy as the revenue generated from the ad spots were the only thing feeding their children at night.

Families... children... baby kittens will starve.

Frankie, do you really want to be the reason baby kittens starve?

Why Fanky?
cute-kitten-2.jpg

Why?

I laughed so hard in my office just now.

Fuchsdh

.. I turn 23 in June and boy for a while was it frightening. Till I got a job really. Still kind of crazy, I'm still a kid! Not a 23 year old. Whatever the hell that means.

So, in answer to your question, no, I don't. :p
I know what you mean. Five days 'till 22 and I feel crusty and irritated at everything young, then the next moment I refuse to accept my age and want to run out of my office screaming :)

Overdoziz

Banned
I don't understand. How can you be team downer on Halo 4 news?
You're surprised that people who didn't like Reach don't like when they hear that Halo 4 builds on what made Reach bad?

Above anything else I am extremely disappointed that 343 decided to let loadouts return (and unlocks on top of that). That's exactly the opposite of what I like in Halo. And so far nearly everything mentioned about Halo 4 has worried in one way or another. I don't think there's a single thing yet that they've announced that actually got me excited to play the multiplayer.

Louis Wu

So, in answer to your question, no, I don't. :p
Guess you missed the Rooney-esque "D'y'ever notice" bit there. :(

Probably shouldn't be using Andy Rooney humor on a 23-year-old.

(bobs - you totally missed Frank's point... twice. He wasn't taking affront at everyone who's pessimistic - he was making a point about the very small group of relentlessly negative posters here. You don't fall into that category (neither do 90% of the other people who've expressed misgivings or doubts) - so you should stop acting like he picked up his marbles and went home because you made him sad.)

*reads his Wikipedia entry*
I don't think it helps that he probably wasn't a big thing in Ireland, my chances of exposure to him are pretty low. Going to check something of his on YouTube though.

Gazzawa

Above anything else I am extremely disappointed that 343 decided to let loadouts return (and unlocks on top of that). That's exactly the opposite of what I like in Halo. And so far nearly everything mentioned about Halo 4 has worried in one way or another. I don't think there's a single thing yet that they've announced that actually got me excited to play the multiplayer.

Here's what you fail to understand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic7KH1PpbMY

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
5 v 5, no Forge World maps, and no armor lock.

No AL
No Camo
5v5
Big Party Matching on
No non-disc Forge variants (because the playlist was 4-split)

Matches up parties of 4-5 up with each other.
No Armor Lock
No community Forge maps, only Uncaged and Asylum
No Reflection and Sword Base
Practically no AR start matches

Pretty much every match was on a decent map (Powerhouse, Countdown, Zealot, Asylum, Boardwalk) with DMR starts against a team of 5.

Edit: I recall Camo being in Squad.

Just got back from meetings, Frank, bring this back. Stat! :p

daedalius

22 and 23 year olds talking about being crusty.

Now I've seen everything.

You're surprised that people who didn't like Reach don't like when they hear that Halo 4 builds on what made Reach bad?

Yea, I totally hate always being able to spawn with a BR or DMR. I love AR/SMG starts.

(bobs - you totally missed Frank's point... twice. He wasn't taking affront at everyone who's pessimistic - he was making a point about the very small group of relentlessly negative posters here. You don't fall into that category (neither do 90% of the other people who've expressed misgivings or doubts) - so you should stop acting like he picked up his marbles and went home because you made him sad.)

I do get what you are saying but I thought it was only fair I apologised for missing the point and I suppose highlighting the issue. Regardless it sucks that this place will be sans Frankie for a bit.

errr on a sidenote just caught up with the bulletin, now that they are actually making articles along the lines of enemies in Halo 4 hopefully its not too long before we get some big info drops.

Overdoziz

Banned
not even the BR, no health bars, increased base speed, increased jump height, focused multiplayer maps?
I prefer the DMR. One-shot for headshots is much more satisfying. :)
All the other things you mentioned are nice but not really things to get exceptionally excited about.
Yea, I totally hate always being able to spawn with a BR or DMR. I love AR/SMG starts.
Letting people spawn with whatever they want changes the game into something that I'd rather not play. Even if that means I never have to spawn with an AR again.

GhaleonEB

1) I have a bunch of free Halo avatar prop thingies to give out. I'll figure out how by the end of the day.

2) I go on sabbatical in 34 days (there's a helpful countdown widget on my internal network's homepage). Eight consecutive paid weeks off. I have not had eight weeks off work - paid or otherwise - since I started my first job 17 years ago. It's actually hard to even comprehend.

It's going to make this summer fly by.

I just thought of the new version of flag slayer: So you think you're just playing ordinary slayer, BUT once you have enough kills, you get to call in a random flag drop. The flag will drop on a random spot on the map, but your team knows where it will appear a little bit earlier. The objective of course, is to capture a set point of flags in the game. This will remove the knowledge of the more skilled players, who already know where the flag will spawn.

Ship it.

daedalius

Letting people spawn with whatever they want changes the game into something that I'd rather not play. Even if that means I never have to spawn with an AR again.

So here lies the heart of your grievances... being able to spawn with the weapon you want because it 'changes the game into something you'd rather not play'.

Solution: play custom games

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
There will be no Frank anymore. : (

On this note, Frank in all seriousness if I see you at PAX I am buying you a beer. Don't be a stranger to HaloGaf. :)

On the Halo side, I don't care if this rips off CoD directly, I want a Halo version of the Kill Confirmed gametype. Love that mode.

This vid is kinda neat: http://vimeo.com/41745585

(via Reddit)

1) I have a bunch of free Halo avatar prop thingies to give out. I'll figure out how by the end of the day.

2) I go on sabbatical in 34 days (there's a helpful countdown widget on my internal network's homepage). Eight consecutive paid weeks off. I have not had eight weeks off work - paid or otherwise - since I started my first job 17 years ago. It's actually hard to even comprehend.

That kicks ass! Go nuts.

Or the opposite :p

Fuchsdh

People still do sabbaticals? Crazy!

Enjoy your rest!

feel

Sucks to be disliked by the Frankie. :(

But right or wrong, I can't go on pretending I like what Halo 4 is now (the game we've created in our minds with the info we got, final game is a completely separate thing), I'm not one to sugarcoat things or keep feelings towards something I deeply care about bottled up. Really sorry for annoying you with the way I am though.

Why the hate towards unlocks? They already said you'll spawn with proper weapons (DMR/BR loadouts for BTB...) I think it's a neat addition to the investiment system.

As far as I know COD didn't invent unlocks :/

They also said there'll be a classic playlist (probably more than one) so why all the fear, they already made clear classic "core" halo is back again, LOOK AT THOSE GIFS :D

Anyway, I understand your hate towards Reach, Bungie's biggest failure was not to include the tools to experience core halo from the beggining... you could tweak the settings at it's finest but bloom, inertia, sloppy movement and nuke-nades were always there, that's really frustrating for those who love classic Halo like you and many others, myself included (despite my love for Invasion).

You can't beg people to adapt to something they feel don't belong too, as simple as that. I think 343 is handing things really well, give us options, options and OPTIONS to build our experience from the bare "core" bones which are already present this time.

I just thought of the new version of flag slayer: So you think you're just playing ordinary slayer, BUT once you have enough kills, you get to call in a random flag drop. The flag will drop on a random spot on the map, but your team knows where it will appear a little bit earlier. The objective of course, is to capture a set point of flags in the game. This will remove the knowledge of the more skilled players, who already know where the flag will spawn.

Ship it.

Terrible, terrible idea.

just taking a break. not the end of the world.

time for a speed test?

Oh, I know that. :p

I'm rubbing it in for bobs'!

I know what you mean. Five days 'till 22 and I feel crusty and irritated at everything young, then the next moment I refuse to accept my age and want to run out of my office screaming :)
This feeling doesn't end, I'll just let you know that right now.

That is awesome. I used to work in the movie business where long periods of time off between jobs was frequent, but never paid. Congrats, man.

In other news, Tunavi is going to fly to England and murder bobs.
First his Wal-Mart bike gets stolen, now this. Poor Tunavi.

Overdoziz

Banned
Why the hate towards unlocks? They already said you'll spawn with proper weapons (DMR/BR loadouts for BTB...) I think it's a neat addition to the investiment system.

As far as I know COD didn't invent unlocks :/
Even with the default loadouts there will be things you won't be able to use until later on when you've unlocked them. Stuff like that just doesn't sit well for me. It's a pointless feature that's only been added to make people play longer to get those unlocks. It also affects new players negatively as they won't have everything available straight away. Loadouts already cause the players to not start on an even playing-field and unlocks only makes that worse.

Trey

Sucks to be disliked by the Frankie. :(

But right or wrong, I can't go on pretending I like what Halo 4 is now (the game we've created in our minds with the info we got, final game is a completely separate thing), I'm not one to sugarcoat things or keep feelings towards something I deeply care about bottled up. Really sorry for annoying you with the way I am though.

I really think you and kyle are overestimating how much people (and Frankie) are "annoyed" by you.

Even with the default loadouts there will be things you won't be able to use until later on when you've unlocked them. Stuff like that just doesn't sit well for me. It's a pointless feature that's only been added to make people play longer to get those unlocks. It also affects new players negatively as they won't have everything available straight away. Loadouts already cause the players to not start on an even playing-field and unlocks only makes that worse.
I agree that with the limited information at hand, it seems really pointless. I remember hearing/reading that these unlocks can be made outside of the standard multiplayer, so it's not as bad as it could be. I'll be interested in hearing what 343's motivation is for this beyond wanting to just emulate elements of a popular franchise.

kylej

Banned
I really think you and kyle are overestimating how much people (and Frankie) are "annoyed" by you.

I have never worried about that...

First his Wal-Mart bike gets stolen, now this. Poor Tunavi.

Never got my bike stolen in college. Also never wore a helmet. All those nights riding around on icy roads with no lights and cars flying by. Lucky I didn't get blained over the years.

Hopefully it won't take too much Spartan Points (stupid name) to unlock the DMR/BR.

I'll play the campaign first, maybe some Spartan Ops later to see how the netcode handles. At that point I might have already gathered enough SP to buy my BR/DMR :lol

Obviously these are all wild guesses, neighter you or me can confirm these additions (modifications, unlocks...) will play shitty or amazing.

Someone can't just come and say a feature is pointless or jetpacks in 4 are going to suck, neighter I can assume they won't. All we can do is beg for aclarations from Frankie/David, wait for new vids and info to be released... once we get our hands on the game we'll came up with our own thoughts about the game.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm fine with PC/360. Heck, make it for the NextBox.

I just want another one, with more depth to it this time. Loved the first.

Ya Halo Wars was fun. I regret not trying the multiplayer though. I would much prefer it for PC though now that I've spent substantial time with a PC RTS.

Please tell me what an unlock system could add to the game.
It's a step fordward from Reach's investiment system, in Reach you can buy armor pieces and some stupid effects you wen't even see by yourself most of the time, in H4 I will buy me a BR and I'll be able to kill shit with it, and it'll feel awesome because I actually earned it by myself, it differs from "everybody starts the game on equal" but after you play a determinated ammount of games and have your BR/DMR unlocked it won't be such a big thing for you, you won't be expending your SP in an AR right? You will also be able to grab weapons from dead foes... not a such a big deal imo.

As long as people don't spawn with Rockets, Plasma Pistols, Swords and other power weapons I'm ok with it.

daedalius

A sense of persistence and building a character; another reason to log in besides just enjoying shooting dudes in the face.

It shouldn't matter to you since you'll only be playing customs, and everything will already be unlocked there.

Risen

LOL you gave it a point in your original post and then called it pointless...

But seriously... the term you're looking for is "player investment". I'm sure you've read about it. It's all the rage with developers these days.

While I'm sure you may not agree that unlocks are the way to go, there are literally millions of gamers who come back for more precisely because of unlocks. Be it weapons, armor, outfits, heck even weapon skins. I'm not one of them... I don't like the idea and play games because of the competition and camaraderie; but I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone else's opinion on what they like, nor a developers wish to give them what they want in a game... particularly if it's in a new and exciting way.

Much like with the "perks" issue, you're taking very little information, and making huge contextual assumptions on what the finished product will look like.

You already play reach like crazy... and that's a game you hate... what are you going to do when H4 is better than Reach in every way?

I see fatness in your future Netherlander.

Loadouts don't really bother me honestly. The whole idea that everyone starts off even isn't true because individual skill is always going to vary between people no matter how tight matchmaking is. My only worries right now are jetpacking breaking maps again(I'm sure it's tweaked somewhat) and modifications, because I don't know how much those change things yet. The movement looks great, the BR being there is great, and the maps being designed specifically for multiplayer is great. I think people are overreacting way too much so far.

Top Bottom