• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

If someone in the US were to pre-order from say, Mighty Ape (in NZ), would the bonus DLC marketplace codes be valid on a US Xbox or US Xbox LIVE account?
Iv asked Frankie about a similar issue before he said and iv done something similar with a US code in the UK before.

I don't remember frankies response but it was something along the lines of you may be able to obtain the item on your Xbox but no guarantee that the game will recognise it. I bought a dlc code for TFU2 from eBay and I had to use a US Xbl account to download it but once it was box locked my UK account could use it. It's usually a relatively case by case basis Id preorder from a us store to be safe and then eBay a NZ code to test it if you can get one cheap enough. Unless a skin pack appears on the marketplace which I'm hoping

Any other Australians? EB is giving away double sided Halo 4 posters as a pre-order bonus.
http://www.ebgames.com.au/xbox360-157737-Halo-4-Limited-Edition-Xbox-360
bonus_halo4_poster_large.jpg
However I think this means no skins.

Thanks to Hedgemony for the heads up

Please stop clamoring for Drop In/Drop Out. Do not want.

Join In-Progress is fine by me, but I don't want players thinking "Drop Out" means quitting halfway through a match is an acceptable action.

-------
How will Promethean Vision work with Forge maps?

Seems like something that wouldn't perform well in an object-dense environment - do you make the Forge blocks invisible or do you give them all VISR-like outlines?

Of course, a dedicated map editor would alleviate that...

Shadders

I find the idea of a two-sided poster to be nearly offensive. I mean... what if I like both sides?

(I suppose you can tape it on a window...)

Laminate it and then suspend it from the ceiling by a thin wire, open a window and the slow breeze will cause it to spin majestically showing you both sides in turn. Perfect.

I find the idea of a two-sided poster to be nearly offensive. I mean... what if I like both sides?

(I suppose you can tape it on a window...)

Exactly what I've done with my "Your empire needs you" poster.
51qhpDI7wmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
2381527.jpg.size-300_maxheight-300_square-true.jpg

I prefer posters over in-game skins, but that's just me. At least I have the best buy one!
Me too. Just pointing it out.
Laminate it and then suspend it from the ceiling by a thin wire, open a window and the slow breeze will cause it to spin majestically showing you both sides in turn. Perfect.
I consider that a challenge.

Weak. Looks like it's me and Wu who are gonna be keeping eachother warm on the Launch line.

:p

If Stinkles can get more of HaloGAF into the time square party we need to get there. It was pretty awesome last time. Free food! free booze! Play Halo! Smooze with devs (Lehto was really cool at the reach launch)! Get your tits signed!

Just finished my E3 candy shopping spree £60 worth of stuff to share between me and my best mate and I plan to order some pizza for the occasion aswell

nbraun80

Join In-Progress is fine by me, but I don't want players thinking "Drop Out" means quitting halfway through a match is an acceptable action..
Who was clamoring? All I said is I'm tired of games that are 4v2 before it even starts. It will be interesting though if they still do temp. bans for dropping too many games in H4. If so I imagine some people won't be happy they have to finish games that they are put into when it's already like 60 to 10 when they join.

Eh I am not going to argue my two last nicknames have been "big lad" and " the northern tonne"

Everything you can think of really crisps, hard boiled, jelly, hard gummy, chocolate, toffee lots of stuff to drink both flavoured water and fizzy energy drinks and the new fanta.

Getting dominos for MS conference 2 pizzas starters and Ben & jerrys for dessert

Tawpgun

Join In-Progress is fine by me, but I don't want players thinking "Drop Out" means quitting halfway through a match is an acceptable action.
As long as drop in drop out is in some form of a "social" playlist its all good.

You know there's actually a lot Halo and 343 can learn from Gears 3 specifically.

Halo wants to stop quitters. Drop in drop out causes people to drop into games they're going to lose.

Gears 3 Solution: Have social playlists that are drop in drop out. Then have ranked playlists that are matchmade.
----

Halo wants to prevent new players from getting discouraged by not knowing the maps.

Halo's Solution: Ordnance Drops that are bound to cause HUGE controversy.

Gears 3 Solution: Before every match, a map is displayed, outlining the map from a top down view, and showing where shit spawns. In Addition to this, if you press LB and go into your Tac/Com mode, you can see where weapon spawns are in-game.

You can take this idea further if you want, and just communicate to the players that Rockets are dropping at rocket spawn in 30 seconds etc.

This one in particular I don't understand. The ordnance drops seems like such a controversial and complicated solution to the new player problem...

Drop in/out will end up being the best new feature of H4. I don't have the patience for unbalanced teams anymore.
lol.

Won't fix shit.

You'll just have all the good players fed up with dealing with terrible randoms quit out. Terrible randoms have fun no matter if they go -25 so they stay in.

Gears 3 Solution: Before every match, a map is displayed, outlining the map from a top down view, and showing where shit spawns. In Addition to this, if you press LB and go into your Tac/Com mode, you can see where weapon spawns are in-game.

You can take this idea further if you want, and just communicate to the players that Rockets are dropping at rocket spawn in 30 seconds etc.

This one in particular I don't understand. The ordnance drops seems like such a controversial and complicated solution to the new player problem...

Never played Gears, but this sounds a whole lot better than ordinance drops. Maybe even make it a specialization (is that what they're called?) or something so people want to learn the maps so they can use another one.

I still hope personal ordinances, which seemed like killstreaks, are only in a specific action sack game-type. I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment.

Overdoziz

Banned
I'm so hoping for a MP vidoc at E3. I'm sure Campaign and Spec Ops won't suck too much, I'm not worried about that. Also, the less spoilers for those the better.

kylej

Banned
I'm just thinking of how great Unlimited Slayer will be in Team Objective in Halo 4. Going in there with a full team and just having an endless cycle of randoms thrown into the game while we already have rockets spawning and all sorts of craziness. We need to keep leaderboards of how positive people have gone 5v5 in different Objective gametypes. Juices go set that up on BkCleansing.com

I expect at least some +300 totals from some games.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
If Stinkles can get more of HaloGAF into the time square party we need to get there. It was pretty awesome last time. Free food! free booze! Play Halo! Smooze with devs (Lehto was really cool at the reach launch)! Get your tits signed!

Whoa wtf? I wanna go there now! Lol

I want my ass cheek signed!!

I'm so hoping for a MP vidoc at E3. I'm sure Campaign and Spec Ops won't suck too much, I'm not worried about that. Also, the less spoilers for those the better.
Yup feels like a MP BTS would be the best thing now clean up confusion and let people decide what side of the Fence they want to be on going into halo 4. Lots of confusion half truths and falsehoods floating around right now need some clarification

Tawpgun

I'm just thinking of how great Unlimited Slayer will be in Team Objective in Halo 4. Going in there with a full team and just having an endless cycle of randoms thrown into the game while we already have rockets spawning and all sorts of craziness. We need to keep leaderboards of how positive people have gone 5v5 in different Objective gametypes. Juices go set that up on BkCleansing.com

Best hope some of this silliness is restricted from certain playlists. Frankie/Ellis said that some playlists have different restrictions on loadouts and maybe ordnance also... I hope so anyway.

If not, it will be lulzy for sure. The good get gooder and the bad get badder.

nbraun80

As long as drop in drop out is in some form of a "social" playlist its all good.

You know there's actually a lot Halo and 343 can learn from Gears 3 specifically.

Halo wants to stop quitters. Drop in drop out causes people to drop into games they're going to lose.

Gears 3 Solution: Have social playlists that are drop in drop out. Then have ranked playlists that are matchmade.
----

Halo wants to prevent new players from getting discouraged by not knowing the maps.

Halo's Solution: Ordnance Drops that are bound to cause HUGE controversy.

lol.

Won't fix shit.

You'll just have all the good players fed up with dealing with terrible randoms quit out. Terrible randoms have fun no matter if they go -25 so they stay in.

The map showing the location of the weapons is a good idea, and the best part of Gears 3 TDM (I found the actual gameplay to be abysmal, but that's a different discussion. )

I think this drop in will definitely be way better then what we have now. It's not always a negative when people join in, I've had plenty of games in COD that I've joined in where my team is losing and I'm able to help turn it around.

Best hope some of this silliness is restricted from certain playlists. Frankie/Ellis said that some playlists have different restrictions on loadouts and maybe ordnance also... I hope so anyway.

exactly. i thought they were added so people who haven't played the game would have a chance at getting the weapons, but how is an awful player going to get enough kills for a ordinance drop?

unless there are...death streak ordinance drops.. D:

Overdoziz

Banned

Just imagine the amount of power weapons you can let drop in from all the kills.

kylej

Banned

Bah, there should be at least one objective that's filled with crazy stuff. I hope Objective doesn't get left to die again.

COD is absolutely glorious as a full team. Having a constant Blackbird + chopper gunner + dogs running around on maps like like Summit or Jungle while forcing spawns was absolutely hysterical and super relaxing. I expect Halo 4 to be just as nuts in a lot of its social playlists.

Just imagine the amount of power weapons you can let drop in from all the kills.

Yep. Gonna be amazing. We should get royalties from Nintendo for all the Wiis we're gonna sell to people who get the dee.

Who was clamoring? All I said is I'm tired of games that are 4v2 before it even starts. It will be interesting though if they still do temp. bans for dropping too many games in H4. If so I imagine some people won't be happy they have to finish games that they are put into when it's already like 60 to 10 when they join.

I'm just nitpicking the terminology used. Drop In/Drop Out implies you can quit without penalty. It gives people an excuse to quit. I prefer calling it Join In-Progress.

I see it like this:
- If you're in a match from the start and later decide to quit, you get penalized.
- If you use Join In-Progress and get put into an undesirable match, you have 60 seconds to quit without penalty. If you decide to quit after that grace period you get the normal penalty.

Tawpgun

I'm just nitpicking the terminology used. Drop In/Drop Out implies you can quit without penalty. It gives people an excuse to quit. I prefer calling it Join In-Progress.

I see it like this:
- If you're in a match from the start and later decide to quit, you get penalized.
- If you use Join In-Progress and get put into an undesirable match, you have 60 seconds to quit without penalty. If you decide to quit after that grace period you get the normal penalty.

Seems legit.

nbraun80

I see it like this:

Yeah Join in-progress does sound better, and that scenario sounds like a pretty solid idea. :)

Tawpgun

Why have certain affinity design the maps when you can just spawn 10 power weapons by yourself :p

I wonder, if they do go with the personal "kill-streak" like system the leak seemed to show, if they'll have a limit on weapons on map. Kinda similar to how airspace gets crowded in CoD.

I see it like this:

"Pay x spartan points to leave the match"

CyReN

I thought some of you guys would enjoy this from SamRambles:

Frankie's E3 Announcement

"And now we welcome Frankie on
the stage!"

Crowd claps steadily, nervously anticipating a reveal of Microsoft's latest killer franchise, hoping to make a dent into COD's dominance over the casual FPS market.

Frankie enters left, controller in hand

Crowd drops silent, you could cut the nervous excitement and tension with a knife. A pin drops, a small man trips on some cable.

Frankie opens his mouth, ready for his great reveal...

The enormous screen behind him flickers live. The dominant title screen of Halo 4 appears. Familiar monk choir echoes around the hall. A woman begins to clap, and is quickly silenced and ushered outside.

"And now ladies and gentlemen of E3, i'm here to reveal so far unreleased footage of Halo 4. Its what you've all been waiting for. This is bigger than the campaign. Bigger than the multiplayer. Bigger than forge. Bigger than jetpacks."

The crowd is fit to burst. A man faints. The tubes of the internet strain under the enormous pressure of millions of excited Halo fans, palpable with excitement.

Frankie clicks a few buttons, menu screens pop up, he selects matchmaking.

An audible exclamation of shock erupts from the theatre. The screen displays something so exciting, so incredible that all other games are forgotten in an instant.

A small number '1' sits quietly next to his Gamertag. Resting in its resplendence.

"It goes to 50."

Frankie puts down the controller and walks out of the auditorium, leaving the single image burning a permanent image into the retinas of all those who are present.

The world turns. Nobody moves.

I see it like this:

Whilst a good idea, would this solve anything really? Seems to me like it would become an endless cycle till the match ends.

Those who are most likely to quit will be the ones on the losing side anyway, (unless the initial penalty is severe), new people come in to take thier place, see that they're losing and they will probably quit as soon as they can. So on and so forth

I still think there should be a surrender option to end lopsided games fast.

Pre-order bonus from Best Buy from Reddit. Sister works there, see if I can get one :D

fNyc1.jpg
Thats kinda sexy, I want.

Man, I'm going to be sad if there are no non-power weapons that spawn on the map.

Well, as of last time they talked about this (podcast I think), that it the case. I believe they said mapbased weapons are on the map just at the start of the match, but once they are gone the ordinance system is how you will obtain weapons. As for how you will get ammo, I asked that myself and either Frankie or David replied saying there will be plenty of weapons from dead players.

=/

I really hope this changes and map based weapons remain, only have the power weapons use the ordinance system. That way there are still spawn points for DMRs, Plasma Pistols, etc which obviously won't be in ordinance drops.

Spawnling

Drop in/Drop out I can see how there will be a new standard.

The worst was with someone like me who always searches in full parties with buddies to play matchmaking. Most of the time I play BTB or Invasion, yet nearly every game you play at least 1 person will ALWAYS quit before the game even starts. I have had a dozen or so games where the entire team dashboards before game starts.

We don't trash talk, make fun or anything. In fact, we just get on late at night, crack open a beer and just want to play some Halo. I feel that the new goal for most full parties will to see how many players they can cycle through within one game. Spawn killing anyone? Players will do this, have half the team quit, get new ones thrown in, and the cycle continues for 12-15 minutes.

If they really wanna make a dent at e3 they should just have Cortana interrupt the briefing during some meaningless Kinect/PR stuff (after they do talk about the things they really wanted to talk about). Have a distress call or something outta nowhere which leads into a small trailer, and then boom stage demo. Everyone goes wild, MS acknowledges gamers haven't enjoyed the e3 Kinect stuff so they win points there also.

If they really wanna make a dent at e3 they should just have Cortana interrupt the briefing during some meaningless Kinect/PR stuff (after they do talk about the things they really wanted to talk about). Have a distress call or something outta nowhere which leads into a small trailer, and then boom stage demo. Everyone goes wild, MS acknowledges gamers haven't enjoyed the e3 Kinect stuff so they win points there also.

Or better yet, crash a warthog into all the kinect stuff. :p

Risen

Drop in/out will end up being the best new feature of H4. I don't have the patience for unbalanced teams anymore.

Teams will still be unbalanced... you will just have a higher frequency of events. Added to that, you will get to join games down 30 with a team set up waiting for your spawn holding power weapons. You'll quit, only to join another just like it. Especially if you are playing with less than a full party.

Top Bottom