• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Toddler

Yeah I see no reason to do anything but a doppelganger of the Chief. Halo 1 and 2 did it, ODST did it (with the Rookie). It's not a big deal.

I'm actually bugs me a little bit (emphasis on little) that the multiplayer has been given a fictional context. It's like was said in the first episode of Red vs. Blue, when the two guys are talking about why they're there in the canyon. Well, they're there to fight each other over the flag. Over and over. Because. My reaction when I heard of the War Games simulations on the Infinity was, really? They tried to answer that "why are we here?" question?

It's not a big deal, but I kind of liked how detached and absurd multiplayer is. It's the wacky side of the game, it doesn't need a justification to exist.

I'm the opposite... simply because in my opinion, more fiction, is better than less fiction.

highlighted this little segment out of ninjas stream the other day

http://www.twitch.tv/ninja/b/320180023

pretty impressive opening snipe usage for a warmup game. inflicting some heavy damage.

If Halo 3 had hit-scan BR, better maps, and great netcode... mmm. I miss classic Halo.

You guys need a better field, that's all. The Trop is awful.

I've always thought that just building Halo 3 within the Reach engine would be the best thing they could do.

Get the great netcode, FOV, and control input responsiveness of Reach, plus the great gameplay and movement and such of H3.

Overdoziz

Banned
I miss classic Halo.
iblQjNeiiBzLrI.gif

Yeah I'm trying to remain optimistic for Halo 4, and I'm sure it will turn out to be a fun game but it's not classic Halo. I just don't like the idea of instant spawns, weapon drops, perks, and custom loadouts.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
One of my favorite things about Reach is that your Spartan with all of your customizations are carried through in Campaign including cutscenes. That shit was straight-up magical in my opinion. I'd LOVE to see it in Halo 4 for co-op.

And uhhh...[font size=almost unreadable]I hate the idea of having 4 Master Chiefs...[/font size]
Maybe they'll have Chief be whoever hosts the game and everyone else is their spartan.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Preliminary heads up!

Monday, late afternoon into the night. HaloGAF Radio will be recording for hours and inviting anyone who has the time to join up on Skype (add Tashi0106 on Skype) to offer their impressions of the first day of E3 and all the Halo sexiness we have. No need to get on a list or anything, just be aware that I will be posting here and on twitter (@tashi0106) asking for people to come on for a 5-15 minutes or whatever and talk about how awesome Halo 4 will be. No real format, you can scream for joy or scream for horror, whichever.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Preliminary heads up!

Monday, late afternoon into the night. HaloGAF Radio will be recording for hours and inviting anyone who has the time to join up on Skype (add Tashi0106 on Skype) to offer their impressions of the first day of E3 and all the Halo sexiness we have. No need to get on a list or anything, just be aware that I will be posting here and on twitter (@tashi0106) asking for people to come on for a 5-15 minutes or whatever and talk about how awesome Halo 4 will be. No real format, you can scream for joy or scream for horror, whichever.

Drunken Ryaaan14 confirmed.

Sounds like a blast. Good idea.

Fuchsdh

That's exactly what I'm hoping for. I'd still be happy if they went the Halo 3 route and made them supporting characters from the story.

I would too, but considering this story is meant to be Chief is alone on an alien terrain, I'd rather than just went the CE method of multiple Spartans and the tacit "yeah we don't talk about that". Like ODST done co-op, it's fiction-breaking and will prolly detract from the ambiance they're creating, and there's no good way to avoid it.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I would too, but considering this story is meant to be Chief is alone on an alien terrain, I'd rather than just went the CE method of multiple Spartans and the tacit "yeah we don't talk about that". Like ODST done co-op, it's fiction-breaking and will prolly detract from the ambiance they're creating, and there's no good way to avoid it.

Lesser of 2 evils. Even though both don't follow the story, having 3 faceless "support" Spartans makes sense over 3 MC dupes.

Havok

Hilarious how Bioware can add an anti-idling booting system to their first multiplayer action game in a patch post-launch but Halo can't manage it after three huge tentpole, set-the-online-bar online titles.

Fuchsdh

Lesser of 2 evils. Even though both don't follow the story, having 3 faceless "support" Spartans makes sense over 3 MC dupes.

Well, if they had followed canon *cough cough* you wouldn't be able to tell if its Master Chief or an identical Spartan anyhow... *clears throat*

Sai-kun

Banned
Preliminary heads up!

aw shit! can't wait!

H3's aiming always felt sluggish to me. Reach doesn't. It feels far more responsive.
I'm with you on that, be it the acceleration they used or what, the aiming never felt good. Felt like I was controlling an Etch A Sketch, seemed like the cardinal directions took priority. It's an oddity that's exclusive to Halo 3 and ODST.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Holy Shit, E3 tomorrow! (A minor benefit of this timezone!)

===

The Forward Unto Dawn E3 2012 Hub is now live.

The Hub will be the only site you need with links to every piece of Halo 4 media released, every hands-on impression and a full and complete summary of all officially released Halo 4 information during E3.

In addition to our forums, we've once again opened up the HaloGAF IRC chatroom.
(Speaking of which, we need some HaloGAFers to be mods!)

So sit back and wait. Not long left to go now.

To give you an idea of what the full Hub will look like when news starts coming in, check out our previous HaloFest Hub.

I'm with you on that, be it the acceleration they used or what, the aiming never felt good. Felt like I was controlling an Etch A Sketch, seemed like the cardinal directions took priority. It's an oddity that's exclusive to Halo 3 and ODST.

It was also FAR worse in ODST, if I remember correctly.

I dunno, I'm sensitive to these sorts of things.

Yeah I see no reason to do anything but a doppelganger of the Chief. Halo 1 and 2 did it, ODST did it (with the Rookie). It's not a big deal.

I'm actually bugs me a little bit (emphasis on little) that the multiplayer has been given a fictional context. It's like was said in the first episode of Red vs. Blue, when the two guys are talking about why they're there in the canyon. Well, they're there to fight each other over the flag. Over and over. Because. My reaction when I heard of the War Games simulations on the Infinity was, really? They tried to answer that "why are we here?" question?

It's not a big deal, but I kind of liked how detached and absurd multiplayer is. It's the wacky side of the game, it doesn't need a justification to exist.

The thing is though, if you don't need it, then it doesn't matter whether it's in there or not. If you think it's unnecessary and you ignore any fictional basis for things happening in MP, then your experience is unaffected either way, which is totally cool. For someone like me though, adding in those fictional threads is a huge deal and very enriching, so it's really a win-win. The only way anyone is "missing out" is if they don't include those connections. For you it might not matter, but for others it's a very appreciated effort and addition.

I'll second that. No wonder why there was such a huge influx of players asking how to get a better BR, lol. I think the aim acceleratiion was just jank.

Reach is a bit better but not much. They really need an option to nix acceleration completely. The "assistance" is appreciated, but unnecessary for me.

FyreWulff

The thing is though, if you don't need it, then it doesn't matter whether it's in there or not. If you think it's unnecessary and you ignore any fictional basis for things happening in MP, then your experience is unaffected either way, which is totally cool. For someone like me though, adding in those fictional threads is a huge deal and very enriching, so it's really a win-win. The only way anyone is "missing out" is if they don't include those connections. For you it might not matter, but for others it's a very appreciated effort and addition.

I did kind of chuckle when I found out that it was pretty much the same as Perfect Dark's justification of multiplayer exisiting in it's canon.

I'll second that. No wonder why there was such a huge influx of players asking how to get a better BR, lol. I think the aim acceleratiion was just jank.

Reach is a bit better but not much. They really need an option to nix acceleration completely. The "assistance" is appreciated, but unnecessary for me.

Acceleration can go, but magnetism is totally necessarily. I don't care HOW good you are, playing without magnetism is very difficult. Ever tried to have DMR battle with a teammate?

I thought Reach's was miles better than 3's, and I always thought I was just crazy, because I could go to Halo 2 and have a great BR, then go on 3 and be TERRIBLE, then I went to Reach and I was excellent. I was always dumbfounded and thought it was just in my head.

I did kind of chuckle when I found out that it was pretty much the same as Perfect Dark's justification of multiplayer exisiting in it's canon.

Lol. Yeah. Easiest route to take, probably.

I have always loved walking around empty MP maps exploring them and wondering about where they fit into the universe, both unigraphically and situationally.

Sometimes they weren't always empty... which has probably never helped my already-embarrassing stats...

FyreWulff

Lol. Yeah. Easiest route to take, probably.

I have always loved walking around empty MP maps exploring them and wondering about where they fit into the universe, both unigraphically and situationally.

Sometimes they weren't always empty... which has probably never helped my already-embarrassing stats...

I wonder if we'll ever see a PD reference in Halo, now that Halo is being done in-house by MS since they do own both properties. We did have the Rare reference with Grunt Birthday Party. But it wouldn't really have made sense to have a PD reference in the Bungie era, since it fit more to have references to other Bungie games.

Not that I'm begging for one, mind, but it'd be neat if we saw more MS property cross-references/eggs much like Nintendo or Sony games.

Acceleration can go, but magnetism is totally necessarily. I don't care HOW good you are, playing without magnetism is very difficult. Ever tried to have DMR battle with a teammate?

I thought Reach's was miles better than 3's, and I always thought I was just crazy, because I could go to Halo 2 and have a great BR, then go on 3 and be TERRIBLE, then I went to Reach and I was excellent. I was always dumbfounded and thought it was just in my head.

Yeah I agree with this. Reach has much smoother aiming than 3. Although 2 felt the best to me, with CE right behind it.

I wonder if we'll ever see a PD reference in Halo, now that Halo is being done in-house by MS since they do own both properties. We did have the Rare reference with Grunt Birthday Party. But it wouldn't really have made sense to have a PD reference in the Bungie era, since it fit more to have references to other Bungie games.

Not that I'm begging for one, mind, but it'd be neat if we saw more MS property cross-references/eggs much like Nintendo or Sony games.

I actually like those too. I spent the entirety of Fable II running around in "Hal's Armor" with a crystal Energy Sword and brass/wood AR strapped to my back with the townspeople all calling out "G'mornin' Masta Chief!"

Pure gold.

Just finished recording HaloGAF Radio episode 3. Give me an hour or so to edit this thing and I'll post it. Our guest this time was Dax (and Steelyuhas sat in for an absent Tashi).

Top Bottom