• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dax just chill until you play it, really.

edit: Also, I'm on Reach playing MLG. Need 3 peeps to play with. Message me.

ib1kC7MrQnZT7K.gif

Mother of dragons

Edit: I expect you to GIF everything from E3

The thing about releasing small clips of gameplay is that ever last detail is analyzed.
Including small details and cues that nobody would notice in game.
I guess you learn a bit about game design from following it all :p

Speaking of small details.. I just noticed something from the press release:

"Surrounded by the sights, sounds and crew of the biggest vessel in the UNSC fleet, your multiplayer experience will be embedded in the fiction of “Halo” like never before, where your progress and game choices affect your appearance, arsenal, and role on the battlefield."

Sounds like Infinity will be a large Hub that you walk around in?

Dax just chill until you play it, really.
I'm only commenting on what I'm seeing. The game mechanic "SCREEN TURNS RED WHEN HURT" is one of those modern developments that I really, really hate. It's one of those mechanics that immediately takes away from my enjoyment of a game.

Edit: To be fair, I didn't notice it until Overdoz1z posted the screencap, but I think that has to do with the POV only getting shot once. I'd like to see a full firefight between two competent players.

TheOddOne

I'm only commenting on what I'm seeing. The game mechanic "SCREEN TURNS RED WHEN HURT" is one of those modern developments that I really, really hate. It's one of those mechanics that immediately takes away from my enjoyment of the game.
Agree with you 100% Dax. Just not needed.

Tashi

I'm only commenting on what I'm seeing. The game mechanic "SCREEN TURNS RED WHEN HURT" is one of those modern developments that I really, really hate. It's one of those mechanics that immediately takes away from my enjoyment of a game.

Edit: To be fair, I didn't notice it until Overdoz1z posted the screencap, but I think that has to do with the POV only getting shot once. I'd like to see a full firefight between two competent players.

Yea but it's not like the screen gets more and more red as you get weaker. It's just as you're getting hit.

senador

Banned
Reach:
i6KIozmQZYi52.png

Halo 4 (b-roll):
iDrPDJj09rHx8.png

I don't think it will be much of a problem. I do hope it's toned a bit in the final build though.

Yikes. I was referring to the hex, but that's more drastic in 4 too.

I'm betting it'll be toned down some, if it hasn't been already. Haz no fear Daxxy.

Spartan Ops. The story of the UNSC Infinity intersects with the “Halo 4” campaign, then continues on in a brand-new, story-driven experience known as Spartan Ops. A first of its kind and exciting new addition to the “Halo” franchise, Spartan Ops is an episodic adventure that blends immersive storytelling, high-quality cinematics, and action-packed gameplay to deliver an unprecedented serialized experience.

Through a weekly series of cinematic episodes on Xbox LIVE, Spartan Ops will tell the continuing story of the UNSC Infinity, following the events of “Halo 4.” These episodes will center on the UNSC Infinity leaders and crew, and a new team of Spartans – Majestic Squad. These cinematic episodes will provide the backdrop for the weekly Spartan Ops gameplay missions. Playable in single-player or cooperatively (with up to three friends), explore the corners of Requiem in these objective-based missions, and help uncover the secrets of the mysterious Forerunner world.

A massive-scale adventure that builds off the “Halo 4” story, access to Spartan Ops is included with “Halo 4” at no additional charge – effectively delivering two campaign experiences in one game.

I wonder, seeing as these troops aren't the Chief, if they attempt an ODST style campaign, with weaker Spartans. Hub world could be employed for the objective missions too. Spartan Ops basically functioning as a creative outlet for crazier Campaign stylings while the main campaign keeps it (relatively) conservative.

· Specializations – Receive early access to six Specializations, available at launch on Xbox LIVE, to achieve higher ranks in your Spartan career. In addition to gaining access to new ranks, Specializations unlock new customization options. Purchasers of the “Halo 4” Limited Edition will get access on launch day, while others will have to wait as Specializations are released over time.

Kids on day one having faster recharging shields than you "Lol get shit on scrub I paid more for the game so I'm better than you, lmao get raped"

I guess what I don't like about the H4 LE is that there's very little in it that's limited. A season pass isn't what I'd bundle in with a limited edition to make it "limited." Also, the Spartan and AR (lol) skins are okay but there is undoubtedly going to be better ones to be unlocked in game.

None of the previously released 'limited' editions have contained anything remotely limited because you can still buy them new at your local Game store.

Specializations sound gross.

I guess Reach won't be an outlier. One of the golden rules of Halo, starting on equal ground, is officially gone.

Yup

Yea, it's 5 shot.

whatgif.gif

Why? It's not truely the BR if it's not a 4 shot imo. Poor decision.

One thing I want to return is the headshot type "sounds" from Reach. Another thing I would like that I've only see one game do is the "Kill-mic" that MW3 has. When you kill someone you get a few seconds no matter where you are on the map to hear their mic and their ensuing rage.

It's glorious.

This sounds amazing! This, kill-cam and upload to Youtube are COD features I'd actually like to see in Halo unlike the perk shit we've heard of thus far.

The gameplay looks decent. Wraparound, aesthetically, is up there with the best we've seen in Halo. It also looks like it'll play really well, I like the look of the dropdown section.

- Text in the middle of the screen is obnoxious and unnecessary

-BR sounds like a crank up gun for a ten year old (placeholder hopefully).

Yea but it's not like the screen gets more and more red as you get weaker. It's just as you're getting hit.

We'll see. It's just one of those reactionary mechanics that's an immediate put-off. It doesn't seem much a problem now because the POV gets only shot once, but... Eh. I dunno. But what I do know is that I'm so used to having a beta before the release it feels like I've been blindsided.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I really hope these specializations don't affect base traits like health, speed, or damage output.

Sadly, I'm almost certain they will.

G17

Forward Unto Dawn Special edition in the limited edition is confirmed to be on Waypoint in the press release. Please 343 give us the option to download it! :(

Also there seems to be "exclusive fiction" and behind the scenes.

The “Halo 4” Limited Edition will include access to the “Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn” Special Edition via Halo Waypoint, with never-before-seen bonus footage, as well as exclusive fiction and behind the scenes videos.

feel

Frank is the FUD Special Edition an xbox disc, a download or what? Are those plans finalized?

edit- (post above) Damn that's terrible, will have to download it from somewhere in HD, Waypoint has atrocious quality with my connection.

The thing about releasing small clips of gameplay is that ever last detail is analyzed.
Including small details and cues that nobody would notice in game.
I guess you learn a bit about game design from following it all :p

Speaking of small details.. I just noticed something from the press release:

"Surrounded by the sights, sounds and crew of the biggest vessel in the UNSC fleet, your multiplayer experience will be embedded in the fiction of “Halo” like never before, where your progress and game choices affect your appearance, arsenal, and role on the battlefield."

Sounds like Infinity will be a large Hub that you walk around in?
That would be cool as an option. If not possible, then a 3D menu background with a panning shot of the Infinity crew going about would also be cool.

Tashi

^^ I was hoping for a Blu-Ray

Also, 48-49 we're down by one. I get 2 rockets. I shoot an amazing rocket to get 49-49. I'm garage door and 50th kill is catwalk. Tough position. He jumps of catwalk as I shoot my rocket. Trying to predict his path I shoot one against the wall, it missed. He kills me, we lose. I cry. He teabags me. :(((((((((((((((

Forward Unto Dawn Special edition in the limited edition is confirmed to be on Waypoint in the press release. Please 343 give us the option to download it! :(
Where's the PR again?

Edit.: You edited your post. Bummer for me. I'm never going to watch this shit in HD. Thanks 343i.

343 needs to step up waypoint's video quality or offer us a download option. I was extremely disappointed with how the legendary walkthrough was handled for reach on waypoint.

CyReN

343 needs to step up waypoint's video quality or offer us a download option. I was extremely disappointed with how the legendary walkthrough was handled for reach on waypoint.

I disliked it a lot too, esp. after the Halo 2/3 ones (which I still watch from now and then)

I'm sure all facets of Waypoint will be revamped for the release of Halo 4.
If we have to stream it, I'm sure it'll stream well. But I wouldn't doubt that you can DL it too.

Also there seems to be "exclusive fiction" and behind the scenes.
Gross. That's a definite turn off for me.

I couldn't even watch the entirety of the Reach commentary from my Legendary edition because of this shit.

Havok

You can't use this as a judge. A frame or two can make a huge difference in the intensity of the red.
Also, the Halo 3 beta hit flash was nearly as bad as that (it was nearly opaque), and it was changed. I fully expect that to be something that's toned down in the coming polish months.

This sounds amazing! This, kill-cam and upload to Youtube are COD features I'd actually like to see in Halo unlike the perk shit we've heard of thus far.
I'm a pretty firm believer that the only purpose a killcam serves is to showcase how bad netcode can be. People bitch about lag and bad hosts to high heaven now, imagine when they see that they never actually fired their shots on the other guy's screen.

Tashi

Most intense I could find. Didn't look at it frame by frame but I reckon it's pretty close.

I actually just went into Reach theater mode and the colors, patterns and shapes are almost exactly the same. My guess is that the difference in intensity, is because of the BR burst vs the 1 shot DMR. There must be a limit though because the AR would make players blind lol. Not sure, gonna have to wait and see I guess.

http://twitter.com/plywould

Don't really use it often though.

Haha your Twitter background is amazing.

Actually, I would say that shield and hit feedback is easily the best it's been to date. The broll snapshot here is not indicative of the effect in game.

Man, you're really talking up the game today. It's like the game is...good.

Mother of dragons

Edit: I expect you to GIF everything from E3

All dat Kinect waving and dancing.

Woorloog

Banned
FUD EE not a disc but through Waypoint? What is this shit?
Waypoint videos are unwatchable and i cannot stream anything on my 360 (connection might be too slow, dunno but practically impossible).
Fuck.
Need to rethink whether i'm going to get the limited edition...

Overdoziz

Banned
I actually just went into Reach theater mode and the colors, patterns and shapes are almost exactly the same. My guess is that the difference in intensity, is because of the BR burst vs the 1 shot DMR. There must be a limit though because the AR would make players blind lol. Not sure, gonna have to wait and see I guess.
Checked it out in theatre too and I think the screenshot that I took is about right.
The hexagons in the Halo 4 screenshot are bigger, the lines are thicker and the colors are a lot more intense.

Hope it gets toned down.

Tashi

FUD EE not a disc but through Waypoint? What is this shit?
Waypoint videos are unwatchable and i cannot stream anything on my 360 (connection might be too slow, dunno but practically impossible).
Fuck.
Need to rethink whether i'm going to get the limited edition...

I'll probably capture in HD and burn to Blu-Ray or some shit so I can watch them on my TV. I play on a 23 inch monitor lol. Am I allowed to do that?

Fracas

#fuckonami
Not sure yet.
But... If this is real... it could be the points for the AIM system.
It is the leaked info that was posted on Bungie a year ago.
343i said it was fake, but so much in there is actually true...

But anyways it says the Arsenal Improvisation Mechanic (AIM) allows for "menu-free customization of weapons and vehicles in combat."

Of course it is just a theory.

Would be crazy if true.

crazy awesome

FyreWulff

Did Waypoint's video playback ever get the ability to seek? I remember when the Reach Legendary video first went up, you had to watch it in one go, since you could only pause..

I'm remember some video app on the 360 not letting you seek, anyway..

G17

Part of me thinks Microsoft put Forward Unto Dawn Special Edition only via Waypoint instead of a downloadable so that they'd get the advertising money.

inital sales + advertising money = even more profit.

@FyreWulf Yes you can seek now but the bitrate still low.

Top Bottom