• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm hyped for Halo 4 because of campaign and Spartan Ops.

As for multiplayer, to be honest, unless there's a lot more that hasn't been shown, I just don't know. I have a feeling it's going to be similar to my experience with Reach. In my first few months with Reach, I honestly pondered whether it was my favorite Halo. As time grew on, its faults became all too apparent, and I now consider it the worst Halo.

That said, I still think Halo 4 will be better than Reach.

FL1Psyde

Neo Member
Im still mega hyped for the game. More hyped than iv ever been for a halo title.

I've never been hyped for a Halo game until H4 was announced, its always been (from h2) h2 mp is too good, I don't want h3 to come, then after a while of playing h3, I don't want reach to come because h3 is becoming decent and then I WANT H4 to come because Reach is terrible

Karl2177

You don't like Neil Davidge or Halo CE?

Loved CE back then. Now I notice it's flaws and am less tolerant of things I don't like(thanks Reach). As for Neil, I like his stuff. It's what we've been presented with for Halo 4 that I don't like. I said before that I liked the concept art trailer(and I think would be a great fit for future Halo scores) and the Halo 4 reveal music. I don't like the music that has been released since the composer reveal. It just doesn't sound Halo-ey.

More importantly, does he only play shooters?

Was this directed towards me? And no, I enjoy my SC2, D2, WC3, Wars, and Skyrim. I was merely commenting on the games that I was playing recently.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Ok, here's my Halo 4 E3 predictions, if anyone cares
no one cares

-You can create your own weapon skins
-Valhalla or the Pit come back as remakes
-Ability to watch films in parties comes back
-Forge gets actual colors +terrain/weather alteration
-Film clips are now able to be rendered and uploaded on Youtube
-Clan Support
-Waypoint to receive major overhaul to coincide with Halo 4's release
-Enemy is not directly shown, but is strongly hinted at
-Spartan Ops/Multiplayer playable on the show floor
-1 new map (a BTB one) revealed, with extensive coverage of that map +Wraparound/Warhouse
-The entire presentation consists of the 1st level being played through from start to finish, followed by a 4v4 multiplayer match between 343 devs

And a few random megatons which have maybe a .000001% chance of happening:
-The UNSC Infinity is actually on a mission to destroy Requiem, and the chief fights the Spartan IVs
-The Arbiter is back (although that's actually pretty likely, now that I think about it)
-PC version of Halo 4 confirmed

no one cares

-Clan Support
-1 new map (a BTB one) revealed, with extensive coverage of that map +Wraparound/Warhouse
-The entire presentation consists of the 1st level being played through from start to finish, followed by a 4v4 multiplayer match between 343 devs

-The UNSC Infinity is actually on a mission to destroy Requiem, and the chief fights the Spartan IVs
-The Arbiter is back (although that's actually pretty likely, now that I think about it)

I care

biosnake20 just sent me a PM, and I'm sorry to put your business out like this bro, but I think it's funny this time.

"I actually don't care"

yoooooooooooo daaaaaaaaaaaamn
KuGsj.gif

no one cares

-Clan Support

Yes please, both of these things happening would be nice.

The megaton I highlighted probably wouldn't be revealed at E3, but I've felt that that would happen in the story for a while now.

Ryaaan14

Banned
no one cares

-Clan Support

Bolded the only ones I think could happen.

Might as well follow with my predictions:

-New trailer shown, or perhaps a ViDoc style clip
-Three to five minutes of campaign gameplay shown of a random mission, likely not the first mission.
-Run down of Master Chief's new abilities. Sprint, boost-jump, and perhaps something we haven't seen.
-Glimpse of new minor enemy during gameplay, focusing on upgraded AI and new attacks.
-Explaination of upgraded engine, able to generate more detailed textures, lighting, AA, etc.
-Tease of a major enemy at the very end of the playthrough.
-Brief glimpse into multiplayer, explaining the Infinity and new player features (loadouts, abilities, weapon and armor customization)

Then of course the Spike exclusive coverage of Spartan Ops on the separate special. Will receive little to no time during Microsoft's conference.

FyreWulff

You can almost bet the remake is The Pit. I'd rather see spiritual successors to Valhalla though. Don't bring it's problems into a future Halo game.

Blood Gulch -> Valhalla -> Tempest -> give me the next successor plox

Computron

You can almost bet the remake is The Pit. I'd rather see spiritual successors to Valhalla though. Don't bring it's problems into a future Halo game.

Blood Gulch -> Valhalla -> Tempest -> give me the next successor plox

What problems did Valhalla and Tempest have?

Ramirez

Tempest is terrible for vehicle combat, and has way too much unused space. The bases are also terribly designed, one of the worst BTB maps Bungie ever crapped out. The objective spawns are just icing on the cake...

Computron

Tempest is terrible for vehicle combat, and has way too much unused space. The bases are also terribly designed, one of the worst BTB maps Bungie ever crapped out. The objective spawns are just icing on the cake...

I dunno about the spawns, but everything else I disagree with, with the possible exception of vehicle play.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Microphone on my PC350 has completely fallen apart now because of my niece. Ugghh I really didn't want to spend money on a headset this year man! Fuck.

Ramirez

I dunno about the spawns, but everything else I disagree with, with the possible exception of vehicle play.

Behind the bases & both sides of the ocean/river are completely worthless. The only thing you see people doing is getting a sniper and running back to a corner behind a rock on both sides.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm a Sennheiser slut.

75$ for a repair. Looks like I'm going to do that. Gonna put these headphones away and switch to my 555's for now so they don't get even more fucked up.

kylej

Banned
At least Tempest is better than Avalanche. As fun as crawling across a map 5x too big was, I hope I never have to play that turd in a future Halo title.

Ryaaan14

Banned
At least Tempest is better than Avalanche. As fun as crawling across a map 5x too big was, I hope I never have to play that turd in a future Halo title.

If you hated Avalanche so much, I'd hate to hear what you thought of Sidewinder. That map was amazing but it felt like a fucking epic journey just to get from one place to another.

Ramirez

Nah, Avalanche had some amazing vehicle combat, Tempest doesn't have good vehicle or infantry combat. Basically a game of whack a mole with people poking their heads out over the rocks before they get 5 shot from the back of the map. Maybe it would play better with a different weapon, the DMR really took a dump on BTB mechanics.

FyreWulff

Valhalla is a great map.

It's got base escape issues, has advantage to Red Team (the pelican favors sniping Blues from the way they positioned it), and it centers too much around holding the central hill in everything but Territories.

They tried to fix this with Tempest by making the center hill concave with the mini-canyon, but vehicle movement is still restricted much like Valhalla. I'd like to see them get the vehicle freedom of Hem/Coag/Gulch but with the infantry friendliness of Valhalla/Tempest without the infantry spawn issues of either. Also Tempest has issues with safely spawning infantry, and Bungie's last update that sidelocked Tempest in Slayer didn't really do it much favors at all.

Nah, Avalanche had some amazing vehicle combat, Tempest doesn't have good vehicle or infantry combat. Basically a game of whack a mole with people poking their heads out over the rocks before they get 5 shot from the back of the map. Maybe it would play better with a different weapon, the DMR really took a dump on BTB mechanics.

A lot of the time, I feel like Reach maps are more suited to AR/Pistol gameplay than they are to DMR gameplay.

Must be why I like AR/Pistol so much. Wish I could play it more.

Fracas

#fuckonami
While I prefer precision weapons, I'll admit I enjoy using the AR from time to time.

I also love using the Reach pistol, and I consider it the 2nd most versatile weapon in Reach besides the DMR.

Fuchsdh

Behind the bases & both sides of the ocean/river are completely worthless. The only thing you see people doing is getting a sniper and running back to a corner behind a rock on both sides.

We were down 2 kills in a BTB match and couldn't figure out where the hell the other team had gone. Then we realized they were hiding behind their base in the water. Charging towards them with rockets... and didn't manage to close the gap in time.

So it had a use. An infuriating use. :)

A lot of the time, I feel like Reach maps are more suited to AR/Pistol gameplay than they are to DMR gameplay.

Must be why I like AR/Pistol so much. Wish I could play it more.

True 'dat. The AR in Reach just felt so meaty and fun. Especially with higher movement speed in anniversary.

While I prefer precision weapons, I'll admit I enjoy using the AR from time to time.

I also love using the Reach pistol, and I consider it the 2nd most versatile weapon in Reach besides the DMR.

You get it. Of course I prefer the DMR. But it gets rather boring after a while. I enjoy the style of play that AR starts lend themselves to, occasionally.

Everyone in here apparently assumes that I want to get rid of the DMR completely and make every playlist AR starts all the time.

If anything, I'd do the opposite. Make every playlist DMR start but have one playlist where there are no rifles at all.

kylej

Banned
Nah, Avalanche had some amazing vehicle combat.

not really. Most times in a vehicle on Avalanche you were either powerdrained, driving around aimlessly and hoping to see a person/immediately get blown up by the tank, or you were so bored that you hit the mancannons to fly into the enemy base.

Fuchsdh

You get it. Of course I prefer the DMR. But it gets rather boring after a while. I enjoy the style of play that AR starts lend themselves to, occasionally.

Everyone in here apparently assumes that I want to get rid of the DMR completely and make every playlist AR starts all the time.

If anything, I'd do the opposite. Make every playlist DMR start but have one playlist where there are no rifles at all.

Or they could get rid of the DMR/BR, beef up the pistol and make the AR an effective weapon :) As nonsensical as the weapon roles in Combat Evolved could be, they were a lot of fun.

Tawpgun

I just don't understand what people see in it. The only time AR-like gameplay has been anywhere near fun was in Halo 2 with dual wielding.

I was also like 13 at the time.

It's always been incredibly boring to me.

Or they could get rid of the DMR/BR, beef up the pistol and make the AR an effective weapon :) As nonsensical as the weapon roles in Combat Evolved could be, they were a lot of fun.

Nah, I like the direction H4 is taking with it. I'm sure the BR will remain the weapon of choice, as it should be, but I definitely see myself starting with the AR from time to time for funsies.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I just don't understand what people see in it. The only time AR-like gameplay has been anywhere near fun was in Halo 2 with dual wielding.

I was also like 13 at the time.

It's always been incredibly boring to me.

Like fuchsdh said, it's just because the AR in reach is such a fun gun. Sounds good, looks good, tears through shields like crazy. I also like that it gives a little more sandbox variety, having to choose between your AR and pistol rather than just letting your DMR handle everything. I also don't have to try very hard with it, so it's good for a break from strafing and 5-shotting. It's a little more chaotic, there's nades flying, and a lot of the time there's just 8 people in a central area all shooting each other with full auto weapons.

If you hated Avalanche so much, I'd hate to hear what you thought of Sidewinder. That map was amazing but it felt like a fucking epic journey just to get from one place to another.

Sidewinder plays much different than Avalanche. (Which is partially the games playing much differently).

I love Sidewinder, Avalanche is pretty mediocre.

True 'dat. The AR in Reach just felt so meaty and fun. Especially with higher movement speed in anniversary.

Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif

ZalinKrow

not really Totally. Most times in a vehicle on Avalanche you were either powerdrained having fun, driving around aimlessly and hoping to see a person have more fun/immediately get blown up by the tank fun, or you were so bored distracted by fun that you hit the mancannons to fly into the enemy base.

Fixed

... I liked Avalanche :)

Havok

Valhalla: Sit on hill to win game because hill is nearly unassailable, Pelican and base imbalance (easier to trap cliffside team), one giant useless space over by turret/bubble shield/radio tower spawn.
Tempest: No vehicle routes, enemies spawn on top of objective spot making pushes very difficult, massive swaths of useless space behind each base, a plethora of hiding spots, and the fact that the map just should not have sniper rifles.

Neither work well with the standard 4v4 and 8v8 player count, instead being best in the Squad Battle 6v6 environment that is always dead a month after it launches.

On Avalanche: Map would have drastically benefited from movement of the Overshield and Snipers away from the middle hallway, removal of the laser, and decreased spawn timers for light vehicles. It's still probably my favorite Halo 3 map, right beside Standoff.

Top Bottom