• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

I don't really know how you could get that from the demo at all. Yeah that part was linear but we are on a giant planet. I think it's still very possible for there to be some kind of hub world in this.
I think that's unlikely. If it were, that'd be something I feel they would have announced at E3. Instead, we're getting comments like, "This takes place about a third of the way into the game." That doesn't strike me as hubworld-y. What's the point of introducing a hub world a third of the way into the game? From the demo itself, I saw nothing that gave any indication that we'd be given that type of campaign structure.

A hubworld is a major part of any game, something I think you'd announce early on (ala ODST). I could be wrong, but I'm thinking it's unlikely.

Stuff iv grabbed from the Spartan Ops vid from GTTV

SpartanOps Has MatchMaking and a Voting system.

Spartan Ops Episode 1: Infinity.
"UNSC Infinity Prepares for action on the mysterious forerunner shield world"

Chapter 1 Land Grab

Chapter 2 Sniper Alley

Chapter 3 The Challenge

Chapter 4 Sacred
"That weird structure science is so interested in? im sending our rising stars, Fireteam crimson in as the boots on the ground ill be over seeing this mission directly"

Objectives: Explore the mysterious facility

Chapter 5 Core

Spartan Ops Episode 2: Artifact.
"The crew of infinity deal with the effects of an artifact recovered from the surface of requiem"

thats what i'm confused by. if there is still campaign co-op, why bother basically doing a stand alone episodic mini campaign co-op mode?
There are a few reasons I can think of off the top of my head:
1. You don't have to carry the weight of a AAA game's narrative. This will allow Spops missions to focus on creating replay-able gaming experiences without the creators having to worry that the story is starting to stagnate (having a mission called "sniper alley" sounds a lot more fun as a Spops experience as opposed to campaign where it could be a frustrating roadblock to new players).

2. You can design the experience around co-op. In single-player you have to make the game fun for one player. In Spops you can focus on enhancing the experience for multiple players. This could be as complicated as having very specific tasks for each of the (up to) four players.

3. Community engagement. If you want to maintain buzz around your game (and future DLC/other products), having content release on a weekly schedule is a good way to do it. 343 have already done this with content on Waypoint, hopefully doing it with game content causes the co-op player base to grow and thrive.

4. Freedom to expand the universe through gameplay that doesn't involve the Chief. If you can prove to players that Halo stories that don't involve MC are interesting you just created a customer for all the other books, shows, comics, etc. that 343 and their partners are producing.

Are the missions released individually or is it just a whole episode released each week?
My understanding is you get one episode (as in: a short film) and 5 missions (as in 10-15 minute segments of gameplay) every week for months not weeks (Lord Stinkles Words).

Armor tab represented by Armor Lock Logo. Lolz
I thought that too, but I think it's drop shield.

Recarpo

5 episodes releasing each week with spartan ops? I was expecting one a week with a small little video cutscene. Getting 5 each week is just fantastic.

Korosenai

From that info it seems that spartan ops will cover the training of the spartan IV's and preapring them for Requiem. That. Is. Awesome.

Lazslo

Please 343- please do an ARG. I missed ILB but played the shit out of IRIS and it was so fun and so awesome. You have the resources- I will pay for it. K thx.

blamite

5 episodes releasing each week with spartan ops? I was expecting one a week with a small little video cutscene. Getting 5 each week is just fantastic.
As I understand it, there's one episode per week, which contains five missions and a cutscene, running for an as-of-yet unannounced number of weeks.

5 chapters per episode and 5 episodes thats 25 more missions in 1 month 1 week if it is weekly.
The 5 episodes thing is false, according to Stinkles above.

nbraun80

Yeah that sounds like a ton of content(and it's 5 missions each week with the episode). I wonder how many episodes will launch with the game or if any will or what?

zap

Stuff iv grabbed from the Spartan Ops vid from GTTV

SpartanOps Has MatchMaking and a Voting system.

Spartan Ops Episode 1: Infinity.
"UNSC Infinity Prepares for action on the mysterious forerunner shield world"

Chapter 1 Land Grab

Chapter 2 Sniper Alley

Chapter 3 The Challenge

Chapter 4 Sacred
"That weird structure science is so interested in? im sending our rising stars, Fireteam crimson in as the boots on the ground ill be over seeing this mission directly"

Objectives: Explore the mysterious facility

Chapter 5 Core

Spartan Ops Episode 2: Artifact.
"The crew of infinity deal with the effects of an artifact recovered from the surface of requiem"

Wait, now I am really confused. Frankie said no to the 5 missions per episode just before, but this seems to suggest it?

I was expecting one 15 min mission per week and 5 weeks (5 episodes total).

Recarpo

As I understand it, there's one episode per week, which contains five missions and a cutscene, running for an as-of-yet unannounced number of weeks.

Yep, I said episodes but meant missions/chapters. I'm just blown away by the amount of content we'll get continuously included with the game in this day and age.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
the storm rifle is the plasma rifle replacement - but looks like the h3 carbine. ok.

edit: never mind. they look similar, but there is a carbine as well. thank god. though i'd rather have the needle rifle. maybe its returning too?

Trey

Watch Dogs didn't do it for me either but the premise is interesting. We'll see how it goes.

But Far Cry 3 looks fun. And Assassin Creed is so good.

nbraun80

Wait, now I am really confused. Frankie said no to the 5 missions per episode just before, but this seems to suggest it?

I think he was saying no to the guy saying 5 missons x 5 episodes = 5 weeks, as in the number of weeks in undetermined yet. I'm fairly sure it's 1 episode a week with 5 mission in each episode.

The menu has a Episode Option when you click that episode option it opens up the chapter slection with 5 chapters in it. In the build they are showing Episode 1 and 2 are unlocked and episode 3 says coming soon.

Its 5 "chapters" per "episode" and from the GTTV geoff says its 5 episodes so thats 25 missions over the course of 1 week and 1 month they are likely smaller than campaign missions so 25 = 9-10 campaign missions.

There are so many story ("little") moments that happen in Halo 2's campaign that make it more enjoyable. During the "gondola" ride in Quarantine Zone, Tartarus says, "Humans. I'll deal with them." Then his Phantom flies over to the human gondola. Never noticed that before.

I hope we see moments like that in Halo 4.

zap

The menu has a Episode Option when you click that episode option it opens up the chapter slection with 5 chapters in it. In the build they are showing Episode 1 and 2 are unlocked and episode 3 says coming soon.

Its 5 "chapters" per "episode" and from the GTTV geoff says its 5 episodes so thats 25 missions over the course of 1 week and 1 month they are likely smaller than campaign missions so 25 = 9-10 campaign missions.

That's what I had thought, but Frankie seemed to suggest no.

Eh, we'll find out soon enough =)

Drop Shield? Ugh, even worse lol
"For years we bitched about Armor Lock. Little did we know, the true enemy was The Drop Shield." An Ancient Enemy Returns!!!
DUNDUNDUNDUNDUN DUNDUNUDNDUNUDNDUN WUBWUBWUBWUBWUB!

It appears you need to raise your expectations, though I have no idea how 343 are able to pull off shipping 2 campaigns in one game.

zap

"For years we bitched about Armor Lock. Little did we know, the true enemy was The Drop Shield." An Ancient Enemy Returns!!!
DUNDUNDUNDUNDUN DUNDUNUDNDUNUDNDUN WUBWUBWUBWUBWUB!

It appears you need to raise your expectations, though I have no idea how 343 are able to pull off shipping 2 campaigns in one game.

I prefer this way than the other way round! I will expect 5 missions total and be stoked when/if it's confirmed to be more.

nbraun80

They don't ever mention only 5 episodes?

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-halo-4/731135

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So, story wise, what was happening there?

Chief lands on Requiem

Explores and fights Covy

UNSC Infinity get's sucked into Requiem

Chief discovers giant fucking sphere which is so interesting and badaas (what is that thing? Do we know?)

Chief discovered and fights new enemies

What are the Promethians? Non organic AI living on Requiem?

senador

Banned
I don't know if this has been discussed since the thread was up and down and hard to follow, and the chat moved too fast, but while watching the stage demo, you can see the Didact's symbol on a computer monitor after the signal is lost, then the orange wave runs through the ship. People on the ship also acted surprised, like they didn't know where they were. Did Didact teleport them there, then suck them in?

r6KMP.png

Karl2177

I don't know if this has been discussed since the thread was up and down and hard to follow, and the chat moved to fast, but while watching the stage demo, you can see the Didact's symbol on a computer monitor after the signal is lost, then the orange wave runs through the ship. People on the ship also acted surprised, like they didn't know where they were. Did Didact teleport them there, then suck them in?

r6KMP.png

If Didact's VA remains the same, we are in for a treat.

CyReN

For the multiplayer reveal tomorrow at 12 PM PST (or is it EST), do we know what channel/stream?

11am-12pm Microsoft booth for early access to play Halo 4 (for certain people)

4-7pm 4v4 Halo 4 exhibition match | Best of 5 Team Slayer games, FFA, and then an hour to play with press/fans

This exhibition will be taped by CBS’s GameSpot, which will then be edited into various segments to air/launch exclusively on the MLG site during MLG Anaheim

IGN has their stream up at 4:40pm too.

(all pacific time)

I haven't said it yet, but: congrats and thanks to 343 for making E3 worth watching this year. Halo 4 looks like it's going to be so far above my expectations that OVERKILL it very well may be the game of the forever.

Seriously guys, just get rid of that text in the middle of the screen.

Edit for:

So, story wise, what was happening there?

Chief lands on Requiem

Explores and fights Covy

UNSC Infinity get's sucked into Requiem

Chief discovers giant fucking sphere which is so interesting and badaas (what is that thing? Do we know?)

Chief discovered and fights new enemies

What are the Promethians? Non organic AI living on Requiem?

As far as I can tell you have the timeline correct. The sphere is probably the tomb that the Didact is buried/preserved in, though I could be wrong.

Prometheans are basically the Forerunner version of Spartans.

CyReN

I'm a little confused, can we watch the multiplayer on the IGN stream or is gonna be exclusive to MLG?

IGN should be streaming MP.

Gamespot may be showing footage on their site, but my guess is they are saving a lot of MLG Anaheim. This is just my guess though.

senador

Banned
I don't know if this has been discussed since the thread was up and down and hard to follow, and the chat moved too fast, but while watching the stage demo, you can see the Didact's symbol on a computer monitor after the signal is lost, then the orange wave runs through the ship. People on the ship also acted surprised, like they didn't know where they were. Did Didact teleport them there, then suck them in?

r6KMP.png

Posting again for new page, since its interesting.

Korosenai

r6KMP.png

I don't think he teleported them there, because when it shows the captain, he is looking out a window at what looks like Requiem.

And the orange light is a good point, because that giant orange ball scans Chief with an orange light before it zooms off, and then Cortana says "We know where he is going".

So right now my guess is that the Didact is either in or controls that ball through an a.i. system. Either way, I can't wait to find out more.

Ramirez

Man, the demo looked incredible, hopefully the gameplay can match the graphics. Hard to believe that was on the same system that Halo 3 was on, yikes.

Top Bottom