• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

feel

Can't unsee Shishka!

dwewww.gif

TheOddOne

I wonder what's making the naysayers so impressed, we have barely seen anything so far, I hope it's gameplay and not graphics which are getting people on board!
The overwhelming majority either are impressed by the graphics or see the Metroid influence. Atleast around GAF.

Also I wanted to clarify something about MS surface, in the E3 demo he looked up at the infinity, and then the information was available on his waypoint service record right?

If so, I really like this waypoint integration, I like how exploring Requiem could be possibly rewarded out of the game, and is a much better alternative than using the Kinect method seen in HCE.

Also I wanted to clarify something about MS surface, in the E3 he looked at the infinity, and then the information was available on his waypoint service record right?

If so, I really like this waypoint integration, I like how exploring Requiem could be possibly rewarded out of the game. And is a much better alternative than using the Kinect method seen in HCE.

I'm really hoping simply having your phone nearby as you play the game is enough to trigger these syncs, I don't want to have to turn to visor mode or something.

I also hope the phone won't take too much bandwidth during a multiplayer/ co op match, it will be interesting to see how they balance it.

As for the fact people seem to be converted by halo 4, I just hope it's for the right reasons, r
In some of the e3 threads people have giffed the main character walking down a road lol. I need to be at a computer to really make my point, but so far or doesn't look like 343 really sacrificed anything for those guys and I hope it stays that way :p

wwm0nkey

Also I wanted to clarify something about MS surface, in the E3 he looked at the infinity, and then the information was available on his waypoint service record right?

If so, I really like this waypoint integration, I like how exploring Requiem could be possibly rewarded out of the game. And is a much better alternative than using the Kinect method seen in HCE.
Considering millions of people have Android, ioS and Windows phones and tablets it will get more use than the Kinect feature.

FyreWulff

I'm really hoping simply having your phone nearby as you play the game is enough to trigger these syncs, I don't want to have to turn to visor mode or something.

I also hope the phone won't take too much bandwidth during a multiplayer/ co op match, it will be interesting to see how they balance it.

It'll be just like ATLAS for Reach, which was very obviously a beta test for this.

monome

Has anyone else pointed out the Prometheans we went against had an orange glow where as later on in the trailer we see ones with a blue glow? Guessing the orange ones are under the Didact's influence.

Pic?

rEwL.png

I think it's safe to say that is the Didact's symbol.

vaderno.gif

Why would prometheans have non-full body armors? Don't think the Mantle welcomes the idea of using your dead comrades bodies fixed to exosuits...

I suppose there will be major twists during the game, but Evil Dead
idact
...hard to swallow.

TheOddOne

“We’ve Heard It A Few Times” – 343 On Halo 4′s Resemblance To Metroid
In its thunderous open, Microsoft showed off just one of the many fruits of 343 Studios’ work on Halo 4 with a brief introduction to the single-player campaign during their E3 2012 press onference. As we covered in our live blog, the jungle level they had shown seemed awfully reminiscent of Retro’s first-person reboot of the Metroid series. From the more complete visor, to the glowing bug-like enemies and an alien super soldier with a small avatar/chopper in its back. All the time I watched this, I was having flashbacks to Metroid Prime’s exploratory levels.

After the show, I met briefly with a few 343 guys, including content producer David Ellis where they acknowledged they’d heard the reference. Ellis said it was a bit of a risk to merge the live action and in-game sections of the trailer introducing the UNSC Infinity. I felt it ultimately paid off and was reminded that everything within Halo 4 will remain in-engine, just as previous games have. He wasn’t able to reveal much more than the morsel that we all saw, but rest assured when we get more info, we’ll deliver it to you!
Maybe Ellis or Frank can clarify, was the intro footage from the series or made specifically for the show?

That spartan ops vid was kinda underwhelming. Glad I didn't stay up till 5 AM for that :lol. The gameplay did look great though and 5 chapters each week is amazing!

Yo.

Don't know if it's been talked about already but :

1/ Didact is antagonist confirmed?
2/ Ship in Primordium borded by GS² is not Infinity
3/ Didact? brings Infinity to Requiem on purpose
4/ Large number of Covies is somewhat contradictory to a religious uprising and what does the Arbiter do in all this?
5/ Didact's focus doesn't seem to kill to Chief (Giant globe flees to crash site without even throwing an attack) yet animal AIs are very hostile

I suppose the antagonism betwwen The Chief and The Didact? is due to the passing of the Mantle, and the voice over at the end of the trailer specifically calls the Chief the Reclaimer.

Voice is definitely old and dangerous. Is the Didact? disembodied? how come he gets to sound old when Forerunner tech could have kept him in relative Prime?

Peace exploration is bullshit, yet it seems the Infinity is brought to Requiem and not the way around. What purpose serves bringing a top of the line Starship to Requiem?

Spartan Ops have fighteable Forerunner AIs, does this confirm the UNSC Fleet at the end of Primordium is indeed engaged in combat vs Forerunners (and vs Covies)

How long will the story drag around Forerunners when it's been already pointed at Precursors are an even bigger threat?

Why do the bipedal AIs host skeletons (clinging limbs and skeletal faces? are those Forerunners or humans? forerunners are supposed to be pretty tall)

How the fuck do Sphinxes look like?

Why on earth do I have to see the Didact?'s logo associated with an evil and old voice when he's a superb warrior, a champion of Life and the smoothest lover in the galaxy?

Dude, fucking spoilers!

nbraun80

So now that we know wwm0key's avatar is the Didact symbol, and the 'you got decisions to make' was referring to it, does this mean the Didact will has some decisions to make?

That spartan ops vid was kinda underwhelming. Glad I didn't stay up till 5 AM for that :lol. The gameplay did look great though and 5 chapters each week is amazing!

Dude, fucking spoilers!
Agreed. Not all of us have read the books, lol. I've always felt it would be better to have a separate thread for the fiction side where people can discuss would-be spoilers without worry.
So now that we know wwm0key's avatar is the Didact symbol, and the 'you got decisions to make' was referring to it, does this mean the Didact will has some decisions to make?
You too!

wwm0nkey

I wonder if the Didact wants the Infinity on the planet to possibly find a new vessel. Sometime in this trilogy I fully expect him to get a new body rather than being in that ball.

So these guys behind the chief:

spartanIVorODST.jpg

Spartan IV's or ODST's?

I Hope they're IV's because if that's the ODST helmet, I wouldn't like it at all. The helmet itself looks pretty cool, but I want my good old ODST helmet back too.

wwm0nkey

I dunno, seeing as the Spartan program now accepts more people I would think they would have phased out the ODST's.

That is what I have been saying, ODST's were already trained well enough to be put into the Spartan IV program, there is no reason to have the ODST name any more other than it being Spartan IV's dropping in.

monome

Just watch the trailer again.
Gladly so!

Dude, fucking spoilers!

I understand and will spoiler it BUT you're cutting some big slack to other dudes who talk about BIP andhis BIP after BIP etc...I'm just trying to organise potential story threads.

Agreed. Not all of us have read the books, lol. I've always felt it would be better to have a separate thread for the fiction side where people can discuss would-be spoilers without worry.
I'm not a household HaloGAF member, I wished Slightly Live made a story specific thread , yet HaloGAF is house to fanboyism and I think wild speculations are part of the fun.

I wonder if the Didact wants the Infinity on the planet to possibly find a new vessel. Sometime in this trilogy I fully expect him to get a new body rather than being in that ball.

I wish 343i kept the disembodiement to GS...

I am going on a wild guess here but I am assuming the blue "good" Prometheans are with the Librarian.

massive diappoint if their love story turns into a war. Love is important even in sci-fi, and should serve better purposes that introduce blue and orange dead rangers...
And I hardly see the Chief getting laid, so I thought Didact/Librarian was the SOLO/LEIA love story of the universe

monome

So these guys behind the chief:

spartanIVorODST.jpg

Spartan IV's or ODST's?

I Hope they're IV's because if that's the ODST helmet, I wouldn't like it at all. The helmet itself looks pretty cool, but I want my good old ODST helmet back too.

ODSTs I presume.

ODST != Spartan IV, there is still a program. And ODST have a specific role. Don't forget Traviss books.
I suppose the some of the IV's fighting along will be major characters, and don't forget the II's and III's.
Overall design is techier in Halo 4 so even soldiers look like ODSTs with bigger armor parts/protections.

I understand and will spoiler it BUT you're cutting some big slack to other dudes who talk about BIP andhis BIP after BIP etc...I'm just trying to organise potential story threads.

The only book I haven't read is Primordium so that's why I don't care for myself about spoilers from Glasslands or Cryptum. But for people who haven't read these books and don't want to be spoiled, I think it would be better to spoiler tag posts about them.

The older books don't need to be spoiler tagged IMO, but some of these books have only been released a year ago and a lot of people haven't read them yet.

monome

The only book I haven't read is Primordium so that's why I don't care for myself about spoilers from Glasslands or Cryptum. But for people who haven't read these books and don't want to be spoiled, I think it would be better to spoiler tag posts about them.

The older books don't need to be spoiler tagged IMO, but some of these books have only been released a year ago and a lot of people haven't read them yet.

Primordium is required reading! and for full disclosure I hold neither MS nor TOR shares ;-)
It's just that Good.

wwm0nkey

I wish 343i kept the disembodiement to GS...

massive diappoint if their love story turns into a war. Love is important even in sci-fi, and should serve better purposes that introduce blue and orange dead rangers...
And I hardly see the Chief getting laid, so I thought Didact/Librarian was the SOLO/LEIA love story of the universe

I disagree with both of these,

We know that 343 was a human before so why can't the didact go down the same path?

The Didact has always had anger issues and a hate twords humans, The Librarian can love him all she wants but she has to know when he is in the wrong and needs to be stopped.

TheOddOne

ODSTs I presume.

ODST != Spartan IV, there is still a program. And ODST have a specific role. Don't forget Traviss books.
I suppose the some of the IV's fighting along will be major characters, and don't forget the II's and III's.
Overall design is techier in Halo 4 so even soldiers look like ODSTs with bigger armor parts/protections.
If you look at the Spartan II and III's history, you would think that the UNSC would want to bury it. It makes them look bad and questions could be put forth about the safety of future Spartan programs. Furthermore people will start to investigate the shadowy stuff UNSC has done before, like the billions spent on the arms race and the fate of the people who failed the older Spartan programs.

We know that the UNSC has come in contact with more Forerunner tech and might have eased the training of new Spartans. They seem to have found a way to get more ordinary people to dawn the armor, which is impressive but makes me wonder how much effect it will have on them. Spartans were chosen for their qualities, getting every man or women means there are bound to be repercussions much like the earlier failed Spartans.

I think this might be a major plot point or at least there will be some mention of the politics in the new trilogy.

Homeboyd

Man, so many people seem to be soooo unsatisfied with this years E3... Except with Halo 4 and Ubi's conference. There hasn't been a lot that's impressed me either outside of these 2 pieces. Need more Halo footage; save E3 Frankie!

Looking forward to Nintendo today.

wwm0nkey

Man, so many people seem to be soooo unsatisfied with this years E3... Except with Halo 4 and Ubi's conference. There hasn't been a lot that's impressed me either outside of these 2 pieces. Need more Halo footage; save E3 Frankie!

Microsofts conference was fucking AWFUL minus Halo 4 and South Park and Sony's sucked too and pretty much confirmed the death of the Vita.

Hopefully Nintendo saves it.

WJD

So is that it for Halo 4 news now this week?

Some nice, detailed multiplayer footage would go down a treat right now.

TheOddOne

Said this in the other thread, but seeing Star War 1313 and Watch Dogs played on high end pc's pretty much confirms that developers wanted to show next gen games this year. The halted it because Microsoft bailed (rumor is that they are taking suggestions from developers on the hardware) and now we got this play-it-safe conference.

We know that 343 was a human before so why can't the didact go down the same path?

The Didact has always had anger issues and a hate twords humans, The Librarian can love him all she wants but she has to know when he is in the wrong and needs to be stopped.
Please elaborate question 1. I do not completely understand.

wwm0nkey

Please elaborate question 1. I do not completely understand.

343 GS was a human before becoming the monitor of installation 04 so why cant the Didact transfer himself into something similar, info on how that happened should be on the halo wiki if you didnt read the books

monome

I'm not saying he's not disembodied (mobile Cryptum is ridiculous, so there is a reason the Evil is a globe apart from the wink to good old GS), just that the ex-machina things should be seldom used and GS story is good enough to tread those organic-machine waters. Contrary to GS, Didact backstory is built around his strength and presence, a mere rembrance of his Life is, in my opinion, not good enough after what Bear has done with Forerunners' story and specifically building the Didact's character. I'm hopefull still because Beard is fully involved now and I can see Frankie giving the guy some room fo his creations to shine and not follow exactly the anticipated path 343i decided on

please read Primordium, your point will still be valid but in no way is the Didact represented as a crazy killer. He killed humans aplenty during the previous war in order to salvage the Mantle. Primordium will tell you exactly for whom he has thebiggest grudge

If you look at the Spartan II and III's history, you would think that the UNSC would want to bury it. It makes them look bad and questions could be put forth about the safety of future Spartan programs. Furthermore people will start to investigate the shadowy stuff UNSC has done before, like the billions spent on the arms race and the fate of the people who failed the older Spartan programs.

I think this might be a major plot point or at least there will be some mention of the politics in the new trilogy.

II>III>IV due to genetic enhancements, and believe those previous spartans will get top of the line equipments and adequate missions for as long as their bodies/minds are holding, ONI is evil alright but they want return on investment, even on shody investments.

Probably some political stuff in-game but not that much. I would predict MAJOR twists around the course of the trilogy though.

wwm0nkey

please read Primordium, your point will still be valid but in no way is the Didact represented as a crazy killer. He killed humans aplenty during the previous war in order to salvage the Mantle. Primordium will tell you exactly for whom he has thebiggest grudge
I have read Primordium and I do know who he has the grudge against but he still is not a fan of humans.

Trey

There was a thread but seeing as the books are only a hot topic when they first release, it died out. Not really worth it to keep a thread around for the rare chance we start talking about the extended fiction in this thread. That's like a discussion every three months or so.

monome

I have read Primordium and I do know who he has the grudge against but he still is not a fan of humans.

Yep, not saying he's fond but :
1/ he's fond of the two humans he got captured with
2/ he knows "Precursors" are fucking with both humans and forerunners and has sweared vengeance to them
3/ fucking loves the Librarian to the point of curbing his rigorous following of the Mantle so as to find a convergence point between his and hers.
4/ He knows his time is passed, that Forerunners failed. Why bring war to humans? it seems pesky. He already beat them and he knows his victory is tainted by the fact the humans were fighting on two fronts.

There was a thread but seeing as the books are only a hot topic when they first release, it died out. Not really worth it to keep a thread around for the rare chance we start talking about the extended fiction in this thread. That's like a discussion every three months or so.

Exactly my point for posting here and not the old Primordium thread.
Yet spoilering is not too hard, I'll gldaly do it to keep discussions friendly.

wwm0nkey

Yep, not saying he's fond but :
1/ he's fond of the two humans he got captured with
2/ he knows "Precursors" are fucking with both humans and forerunners and has sweared vengeance to them
3/ fucking loves the Librarian to the point of curbing his rigorous following of the Mantle so as to find a convergence point between his and hers.
4/ He knows his time is passed, that Forerunners failed. Why bring war to humans? it seems pesky. He already beat them and he knows his victory is tainted by the fact the humans were fighting on two fronts.

Well we still have to wait until the 3rd book, its still obvious something happened to the Didact over the past 100,000 years.

Just for everyone confused or who does not know.

IGN HALO 4 Footage. at

16:40 PDT (4:40PM)
19:40 EST (7:40PM)
00:40 GMT (12:40 thats midnight folks)

Link is HERE

Its a 20min segment but based on what IGN did last year it could be anything as little as 5 minuets and above

Ill bump this post closer to the time.

monome

Well we still have to wait until the 3rd book, its still obvious something happened to the Didact over the past 100,000 years.

I would get angry if I get to live 100 000 years without having sex

The Forerunner saga has some unanswered threads :

Master Builder? Librarian? Precursors?
It's fun to fight a cunning bastard, I'm happy to fight against the Didact but why make him sound old and evil????fucking why????
And most of all Forerunners post Halo firing? The trailer certainly did good in not answering this question...

Or it could be the Mantle has been hacked and those AIs are obeying to an outside force...alhough the Mantle was not in great shape when last heard about...
Again, would the Didact from the books put his fallen comrades in battle suits rather than bury them? He's already had his sons killed, and then his sons's Sphinxes killed...Forerunners tech allow to capture a spirit although I think it required the Mantle, so using bodies might be necessary to hold control?! nah...

Just for everyone confused or who does not know.

IGN HALO 4 Footage. at

16:40 PDT (4:40PM)
19:40 EST (7:40PM)
00:40 GMT (12:40 thats midnight folks)

Link is HERE

Its a 20min segment but based on what IGN did last year it could be anything as little as 5 minuets and above

Ill bump this post closer to the time.

Hmmm, I'll stay up for that tonight I think. Is there a live stream for that?

monome

I'm loving the bungie.net "true Halo" defense force, saying that it looks terrible.

I think there is enough shown to see a departure from a Halo Bungie game, I suppose some of their bitching is fonded.
For example, cheesyness is gone. Nowhere in promotion, trailers, teasers is tongue-in-cheek stuff. It is a serious series now, with a canon, a generational roaster of heroes, political things, betrayals, fate of the Universe and so on.
At first halo was a machine man walking down pastel vistas destroying things but the grace of a ballerina.

Still, I will burrow my head in 343i tits and follow the milking, happily so.

Halo = Hell Yeah

Definitely an IP that is growing beyond the desires of its creators, like Superman or Batman. Hoepfully we got more good than bad, but eventually we'll get both. Would be fun to have a son or daughter eventually contributing to Halo one day.

wwm0nkey

So what are your guys predictions for the SDCC and PAX Prime info drops? We already know part of SDCC will have part of the FUD movie.

Top Bottom