• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Woorloog

Banned
Ah, i wonder what i've missed. I know i missed the Spike's Spartan Ops...
And i can't remember when was my last post. Page 318? Gotta start reading this thread...

EDIT this is my post number 3200.

I love the gaming side. If the game looks below 720p: "How many pixels is that? What's the resolution? HOW MANY PIXELS?!?!?!??!" If the game is at or above 720p: "Are you guys sure that's running on an Xbox?"

Trey

I love the gaming side. If the game looks below 720p: "How many pixels is that? What's the resolution? HOW MANY PIXELS?!?!?!??!" If the game is at or above 720p: "Are you guys sure that's running on an Xbox?"

343 are some kind of wizards. How did they get from Halo 3 (which was technically impressive in its own way) to this? Just fucking wow.

How many already released Xbox titles run at 720p?
Not sure when how i expect some kind of extended multiplayer stuff at somepoint
We still know next to nothing about multiplayer, in the grand scheme of things...

Portugeezer

Sorry it's hard to keep up, but is there any multiplayer footage?

I saw a glimpse on Gametrailers live stream after Sonys conference.

MrBig

343 are some kind of wizards. How did they get from Halo 3 (which was technically impressive in its own way) to this? Just fucking wow.

As much as people hate on consoles, they work wonders on development in terms of optimizing everything as much as possible. If everyone only used PCs no one would be able to play anything because there would be no standards and everyone's engine would be hugely inefficient. Something like H4 would have been thought of as impossible to do on the 360 back when it was released, and would have been because all the working engines at the time were shit

Portugeezer

As much as people hate on consoles, they work wonders on development in terms of optimizing everything as much as possible. If everyone only used PCs no one would be able to play anything because there would be no standards and everyone's engine would be hugely inefficient.

Ok, but we also have to remember that this is 7 years into the 360's cycle, whereas a new console generation would poop these graphics easily with better performance and effects.

And no, PC games can be well optimised. Games like BF3 maxed can run a lot better than some much uglier looking games; still depends on the talent of the developers, but yeah you won't squeeze as much because if you want to squeeze more you can just upgrade your PC.

Halo 4 looks amazing, and I expected an amazing looking game, yet I was surprised how good it looks. Love the HUD and the Visor, so much like Metroid Prime, so sexy.

Primordium is required reading! and for full disclosure I hold neither MS nor TOR shares ;-)
It's just that Good.

Cryptum beats Primordium to death with a shit-stained shovel. At the end of Cryptum, a lot of shit happened, and you pretty much know where the galaxy stands.
The Didact is dead, Bornstellar's slowly being replaced by him, the Forerunner Capital world is fucked up, the Flood are coming, Mendicant Bias has gone full-on rampant and shit's gonna explode soon.
At the end of Primordium, a lot of shit happened, but you have no idea why or what the repercussions are.
Bear keeps rambling about the Composer without actually telling us what it is, the Last Precursor suddenly isn't a Precursor but then is and Guilty Spark is alive and has a crush on the Librarian.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Wonder if some of the guys from Bungie got to see halo 4 before E3 and vice versa if some of the guys from 343i got to see Destiny ;P

kylej

Banned
I think there is enough shown to see a departure from a Halo Bungie game, I suppose some of their bitching is fonded.
For example, cheesyness is gone. Nowhere in promotion, trailers, teasers is tongue-in-cheek stuff. It is a serious series now, with a canon, a generational roaster of heroes, political things, betrayals, fate of the Universe and so on.

Well, the new enemy is a creature with a flaming skull for a face. I wouldn't worry about the story turning to an existentialist or absurdist observation of life. It'll be space marines and aliens.

J10

Banned
ibm9awQjil6rnU.gif

&

ibv6lM8x8ZtZV7.gif

So what's the deal here, exactly? Is this that Forerunner hard-light technology at work? The guns seem to be configuring themselves specifically so that the MC can wield them.

MrBig

Ok, but we also have to remember that this is 7 years into the 360's cycle, whereas a new console generation would poop these graphics easily with better performance and effects.

And no, PC games can be well optimised. Games like BF3 maxed can run a lot better than some much uglier looking games; still depends on the talent of the developers, but yeah you won't squeeze as much because if you want to squeeze more you can just upgrade your PC.

Halo 4 looks amazing, and I expected an amazing looking game, yet I was surprised how good it looks. Love the HUD and the Visor, so much like Metroid Prime, so sexy.

I'm not saying that PC only games can't be well optimized, I'm saying that cross platform and consoles only games HAVE to be well optimized. Just look at what happened with Crysis 1/2, and the shift in development half way through BF3.

PooBone

When the games comes out there will be five, I believe. Then one each week from that point on.

PooBone
@DavidEllis so each week you get an episode (cinematic?) and 5 bite-sized missions? If thats correct then holy cow!

DavidEllis
@PooBone That is correct.

I think 343 did an awesome job of creating something that feels different yet still like Halo at the same time. I just hope the campaign is as open and sandboxy as the previous games. Don't want that sacrificed for better graphics.

MrBig

PooBone
@DavidEllis so each week you get an episode (cinematic?) and 5 bite-sized missions? If thats correct then holy cow!

DavidEllis
@PooBone That is correct.

But how long can they keep that up for?

I'm guessing they are just using whatever new version of Sapien to create maps with set-pieces like you can do with Forge so it won't be too hard to do that, but what about narrative, voice acting, the resources to make a CGI episode each week, and all of the things that go with that?

Spawnling

Just for everyone confused or who does not know.

IGN HALO 4 Footage. at

16:40 PDT (4:40PM)
19:40 EST (7:40PM)
00:40 GMT (12:40 thats midnight folks)

Link is HERE

Its a 20min segment but based on what IGN did last year it could be anything as little as 5 minuets and above

Ill bump this post closer to the time.

Where did you get that from?

Toddler

Comments and questions concerning Spartan Ops

I'm sure there's been repeat posts due to the speed and nature of the forum during E3, so sorry if I'm doubling up.

First off, everything looks awesome! Pats on the backs of 343!

My concerns are how the co-op is managed. What if I want to go in alone (I tend to be a Lone Wolf at times), or no one on my FL is playing Spartan Ops, can I tackle missions solo if I want? Or will it have matchmaking similar to Firefight's?

J10

Banned
Just like everything else in Halo, Spartan Ops can be done solo or with friends. No word on whether matchmaking is an option though.

Comments and questions concerning Spartan Ops

I'm sure there's been repeat posts due to the speed and nature of the forum during E3, so sorry if I'm doubling up.

First off, everything looks awesome! Pats on the backs of 343!

My concerns are how the co-op is managed. What if I want to go in alone (I tend to be a Lobe Wolf at times), or no one on my FL is playing Spartan Ops, can I tackle missions solo if I want? Or will it have matchmaking similar to Firefight's?
I think it supports MM.

Gimme a minute to find an image.

Edit:

Overdoziz

Banned
But how long can they keep that up for?

I'm guessing they are just using whatever new version of Sapien to create maps with set-pieces like you can do with Forge so it won't be too hard to do that, but what about narrative, voice acting, the resources to make a CGI episode each week, and all of the things that go with that?
They relocated the resources for creating more MP maps to make more Spec Ops levels.

Top Bottom