• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Retro

So what's the deal here, exactly? Is this that Forerunner hard-light technology at work? The guns seem to be configuring themselves specifically so that the MC can wield them.

Well, he's a Reclaimer. Maybe Forerunner technology is designed to adapt for their purposes.

I hope those are wayyyyy abbreviated in MP

Probably just showy for Single Player, I'd be willing to bet when you pick them up in MP they're fully formed.

But back to weapons.
First, i'm not adding Frags to the map, only Plasmas. But how many? I add them in pairs, so 4 at least. Is that too few? I think 8 is probably the maximum i could add, don't want too much 'nade spam.
And then power weapons. 2xSnipers, 2xGrenade Launchers (3 shots per launcher), 1 Sword. How does that sound? Alternatively, 2xShotguns, 1xGrenade Launcher (7-8 shots), 2xSnipers? Of course the Grenade Launcher might not really work on my map, it doesn't have many doorways etc. where you could bounce the 'nade well. In that case, i'll probably replace it with a Concussion Rifle. I don't think i'm going to use the Focus Rifle as the map has enough cover to make it a rather weak weapon, other than against Jet Packers.
What about replacing the Snipers with one Spartan Laser in the middle?
And other weapons. Plasma Pistols, Needlers, Repeaters, Needle Rifles and DMRs. Or is that too many weapons, considering there are 2 of each most likely?

Personal preferences: No Sword, no Laser. Go 2x snipers, 1x shotguns, 2x concussion rifle. Don't be like my dumbass and try to get every single weapon on the map either just because somebody somewhere might like that weapon type. Just run around your map and think what weapons would be appropriate in each section and whittle it down from there.

If we have full terrain editing, it would make some sort of sense to have environment palletes, like jungle, desert, ec.

If we had Terrain editing in a number of different environments, I would quite possibly never leave Forge. I spent most of my time in Reach in there. In fact, I sold the rights to my story, but they changed the script a lot, but not the title. Now it's about some plane crash in the wilderness and Liam Neeson fights wolves. Should be out on DVD soon, for what it's worth.

Homeboyd

As far as the MP map count, didn't they say they were designing these maps to focus on particular gametypes (i.e. maps designed for Slayer, designed for CTF, designed for FFA.. etc..)? So what you end up getting is 2-3 BTB maps, probably 3-4 slayer maps, 2-3 objective maps that will make up the 10.

Usually people have their niche and consistently stick with those types of playlists ("I'm a BTB guy" or "I really only like slayer" etc..), so won't most people be looking at a very small variety of maps if this is the case and they don't venture too far out of their favorite playlists?

daedalius

How about the Mammoth? ;)

EDIT: Regarding ordnance drops. There are two types of ordnance drops on the games: personal ordnance and map-specific drops that are more akin to traditional weapon/equipment spawning.

Personal ordnance is earned by performing any action that nets points for you and your team. This can be kills, (more for doubles, triples, etc.) assists, assassinations, flag scores or any of the dozens of new medals we're adding to the experience.

Will one of these methods of power weapon spawning be the primary mode that we see across playlists? or are these going to be set up for specific gametypes e.g. Slayer has personal spawns, objective has static spawns?

When is the podcast?

I love the little animation vignette that the Covenant do when Chief first spots them. Things like that really make it seem so much more believable.

Also really liked this ;)

Woorloog

Banned
Personal preferences: No Sword, no Laser. Go 2x snipers, 1x shotguns, 2x concussion rifle. Don't be like my dumbass and try to get every single weapon on the map either just because somebody somewhere might like that weapon type. Just run around your map and think what weapons would be appropriate in each section and whittle it down from there.

I'm not placing all the weapons just because someone likes them (well, excepting me, i don't like the Rockets which is the primary reason i'm not adding them to the map).
Just considering more exotic choices for power weapons, Snipers, shottys and Concs is relatively conservative. Though not necessarily a bad combination...
Too many options!

Nah, the Carbine. Add some green to it like in Halo 3.

It had green in Halo 3? Gotta replay it a bit to check.
But i think it looks so damn good as it is now, If something needs to be tweaked, tweak the Storm Rifle.

They look completely different in First person, that's all that really matters:
rG1C.png
rG12.png

neoism

lol WOW been reding halopendian or the last 2 hours ... soooo interesting. I may have to get the books after all.

had no clue about

The Didact

Faber is an asshole

Bornstellar poor guy

also Wow never really knew what who the Precursors were.

amazing

halo 4 can't come soon enough

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Will one of these methods of power weapon spawning be the primary mode that we see across playlists? or are these going to be set up for specific gametypes e.g. Slayer has personal spawns, objective has static spawns?

When is the podcast?

Personal ordnance is designed for specific gametypes.

Podcast is probably going to drop Friday. We're going to record a segment down here at E3.

J10

Banned

EDIT: Regarding ordnance drops. There are two types of ordnance drops on the games: personal ordnance and map-specific drops that are more akin to traditional weapon/equipment spawning.

Personal ordnance is earned by performing any action that nets points for you and your team. This can be kills, (more for doubles, triples, etc.) assists, assassinations, flag scores or any of the dozens of new medals we're adding to the experience.

Not fond of this 'personal ordinance' thing at all. Why would you reward a winning player by giving him/her the means to win more? Isn't the fact that they're already winning enough? Wouldn't games snowball out of control away from the losing players? How can they come back against the winning player?

As far as the MP map count, didn't they say they were designing these maps to focus on particular gametypes (i.e. maps designed for Slayer, designed for CTF, designed for FFA.. etc..)? So what you end up getting is 2-3 BTB maps, probably 3-4 slayer maps, 2-3 objective maps that will make up the 10.

Usually people have their niche and consistently stick with those types of playlists ("I'm a BTB guy" or "I really only like slayer" etc..), so won't most people be looking at a very small variety of maps if this is the case and they don't venture too far out of their favorite playlists?

Depends, if they can get the combos right and fun, I think people would move around. This can be artificially created by promoting certain playlist via double exp etc.

lybertyboy

Not fond of this 'personal ordinance' thing at all. Why would you reward a winning player by giving him/her the means to win more? Isn't the fact that they're already winning enough? Wouldn't games snowball out of control away from the losing players? How can they come back against the winning player?

You don't have to be winning to earn personal ordnance.

daedalius

Personal ordnance is designed for specific gametypes.

Podcast is probably going to drop Friday. We're going to record a segment down here at E3.

Looking forward to seeing how it works in game; although I imagine a snowball effect might occur from this in some games unless matchmaking is spot on.

Can't wait for the podcast :)

You don't have to be winning to earn personal ordnance.

I guess if the other team is going to get absolutely destroyed, it won't matter if they have weapons or not.

Retro

I'm not placing all the weapons just because someone likes them (well, excepting me, i don't like the Rockets which is the primary reason i'm not adding them to the map).
Just considering more exotic choices for power weapons, Snipers, shottys and Concs is relatively conservative. Though not necessarily a bad combination...
Too many options!

Oh, I'm not saying that's what you're doing. I'm saying that's what I do; using my experience as an example on what not to do. I prefer Shotty to sword because it still requires at least a little skill to use, whereas sword is pretty much aim-and-lunge. While I see plenty of people sit inside a doorway with a shotgun and wait, I always see people doing that shit with sword.

Snipers, I don't use. I just flat out suck with them and nothing will change that. I grab a sniper rifle so the other team can't use it for as long as possible. That's it.

Concussion Rifle seems like a nice power weapon in that it's not instant-kill like Rockets/sword/hammer but can still be powerful in the right hands (similar to the propipe). It also has a distinctive color and effect so it really stands out when somebody is using it.

I think the best weapon balance I ever had was on Moonpool 2 (a three-tiered close quarters partially-flooded map); 4 pistols, 2 needlers, 2 DMRs, 2 Concussion rifles a sword and a shotty. Sword was on the lowest level and had the most exposure, shotty was dead-middle of the level and placed evenly between both teams.

You know where's he going at: The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Occupy Requiem. We are the 117%

Homeboyd

Depends, if they can get the combos right and fun, I think people would move around. This can be artificially created by promoting certain playlist via double exp etc.
Doesn't it still seem a bit light though? I'm sure some of the maps will be suited for multiple core gametypes, but anyway you slice it 10 is a pretty low number. Unless the Forge component is just that good and there's a bunch of those in there from the start like with Reach (ques rage posts).

Doesn't it still seem a bit light though? I'm sure some of the maps will be suited for multiple core gametypes, but anyway you slice it 10 is a pretty low number. Unless the Forge component is just that good and there's a bunch of those in there from the start like with Reach (ques rage posts).

Oh absolutely, but I think the symmetrical maps can at least be used for objective and slayer. So who knows really what the splits going to be like atm.

Preferably for me. 3 BTB maps, 2 asymmetrical for objective only, 5 symmetrical for objective and slayer.

senador

Banned
Maybe it takes less points for losing team to fill up the ordinance gauge, and more as you start winning more? Maybe the drops are different too? Better ones for losing team?

I can't think of any other ways to balance that really. I sure hope they don't lead to a power weapons fest.

Actually, I think we might have perfected it. You'll have to wait about 6 months to see for yourself. :)

T-bagging specialization. When you kill someone while using it, they can't instant respawn so you can squat on their face.

Maybe it takes less points for losing team to fill up the ordinance gauge, and more as you start winning more? Maybe the drops are different too? Better ones for losing team?

I can't think of any other ways to balance that really. I sure hope they don't lead to a power weapons fest.

blue-shell-mario-kart-350x350.jpg

:p

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I get that, but a superior player would have greater or more frequent access to personal ordinance, right? That seems kinda lopsided.

You know where's he going at: The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Right, but it works for CoD, so obviously it could work for Halo.

Discussing this in IRC right now.

From what I remember Frank saying the drops are at "random" pre-determined locations around the map, and the player that calls the drop only gets a slight heads-up as to where it is coming in before the other team.

Meaning the other team could get to the drop first and set a trap or take the weapon. I think this will keep it from being too lop sided. This isn't CoD where a care package falls in your lap, you have to go and get the drop from somewhere on the map, and potentially be killed on the way there.

lybertyboy

Personal ordnance doesn't just drop weapons. You're never going to have a situation where someone can select between a rocket launcher, sniper rifle or sticky detonator.

In the leaked vid the guy gets a one, 'aims' it to the floor and it drops there.

I hope it's only in FFA gametypes. I think that's the only gametype that could actually benefit from it. It always was really annoying when some guy had a lucky spawn and was able to grab a significant lead just because the rockets were spawning when he did.

Tawpgun

So does the non-personal drops... are they still drops? I'm not sure how much detail you can go into, or if this stuff will get revealed today (shame reporters aren't very Halo savy, otherwise they'd have more specific, good questions)

Personal drops being gametype specific is good news. I'd definitely love to play a variant of Halo that works like this, but not have it be the majority of most playlists.

Hopefully this is a full fledged MP reveal. Not just your typical press bullshit. YEAH MAN SPARTANS AND THEY SHOOT STUFF AND ITS ON INFINITY.

Woorloog

Banned
Oh, I'm not saying that's what you're doing. I'm saying that's what I do; using my experience as an example on what not to do. I prefer Shotty to sword because it still requires at least a little skill to use, whereas sword is pretty much aim-and-lunge. While I see plenty of people sit inside a doorway with a shotgun and wait, I always see people doing that shit with sword.

Snipers, I don't use. I just flat out suck with them and nothing will change that. I grab a sniper rifle so the other team can't use it for as long as possible. That's it.

Concussion Rifle seems like a nice power weapon in that it's not instant-kill like Rockets/sword/hammer but can still be powerful in the right hands (similar to the propipe). It also has a distinctive color and effect so it really stands out when somebody is using it.

I think the best weapon balance I ever had was on Moonpool 2 (a three-tiered close quarters partially-flooded map); 4 pistols, 2 needlers, 2 DMRs, 2 Concussion rifles a sword and a shotty. Sword was on the lowest level and had the most exposure, shotty was dead-middle of the level and placed evenly between both teams.

I didn't think you were implying that. Just making it clear to... others. I think. Odd, i just realised how much i write with instinct, not really thinking what i write.

The Conc is nice due to reasons you stated but i don't like the push back on it. Considering how easy it is to fall of my map (by desing, it is more or less bridge-like), well, if i use them, i'd rather add one at most.

I think the laser would be an interesting PW for a infantry combat map, also fulfilling the role the sniper. Maybe i'm too intent on having a sniper on the map though? Not all maps need a sniper.

I'd like to use the sword because with TU and Sprint it is actually a real power weapon, and my map doesn't really offer good places for campers (rooms/buildings are open, a lot of open areas). Also, find the sword a bit more interesting than the shotgun, though the shotgun does need a bit more care than the sword.

Anyway, 5 would be okay amount of PWs, two paired weapons and one other? And i still need to know how many Plasma Grenades i should add at most (the map is about the size of Asylum with two levels). Or should i treat those as power weapons too?

So instant respawns and disintegrating enemies. 343 has killed t-bagging.
Enemies only disintegrate with Forerunner weapons.

Personal ordnance doesn't just drop weapons. You're never going to have a situation where someone can select between a rocket launcher, sniper rifle or sticky detonator.
That's actually a pretty interesting tidbit. I had jokes prepared, but I opted out of it. Logical assumptions would be an AA or extra specialization. hmm...

So what do they drop?
Beats! WUBWUBWUBWUB

sorry, couldn't help it.

What personal ordnance? Wat? Does Halo 4 have both Power Weapon Drops AND some other drops?
I believe he means either/or.

So does the non-personal drops... are they still drops? I'm not sure how much detail you can go into, or if this stuff will get revealed today (shame reporters aren't very Halo savy, otherwise they'd have more specific, good questions)

Personal drops being gametype specific is good news. I'd definitely love to play a variant of Halo that works like this, but not have it be the majority of most playlists.

Hopefully this is a full fledged MP reveal. Not just your typical press bullshit. YEAH MAN SPARTANS AND THEY SHOOT STUFF AND ITS ON INFINITY.

Hopefully the MLG pros there will write up a detailed report on some of the finer points of the Multiplayer. I know Best Man pumps out a lot of content on his YT. I still want to know if the DMR is 3x or 2x scope. I also want reactions on the sniper and how difficult it is to use in comparison to previous entries.

Top Bottom