• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Falagard

Thanks. Bummer they showed the reveal of new enemies that far into the game, but hopefully there are some surprises left down the road.

It's been mentioned multiple times now that it's in the first 1/3 of the game. That can mean many things, because 1/3 of a 9 hour game (for example) is 3 hours. But I'm assuming it's near the start of that third and in one interview it was mentioned that you'll fight some Covenant first, get your bearings, etc. Then at some point you end up on Requiem, and the way that Chief and Cortana already seemed to be familiar with the Cryptum, it seems they already have had at least some contact at that point.

Woorloog

Banned
Because its uneccessary and only serves as a crutch for people with poor awareness. Was the loud "tink" sound and the glowing trail of a thrown grenade not enough?

And what you say when i tell you i have a great awarneness (to the point i cannot watch others to play for they seem to be missing so obvious things) and that i really like the indicator?
Can't always play with sound on, or have to keep it so low the "thunk" is not audible.

BigShow36

Lol I was going to say that.

P.S: ASSASINATION +100 SP

*guitar riff*

*fireworks and electric volts*

HEADSHOT + 50 SP

*Grunt Birthday Party Explosion*
*Guitar Riff*
*Fireworks and lighting bolts*
*Rainbow extends from the sky and creates pot of gold on dead body*
*Waypoint above the next nearest enemy and a directional arrow*

TURNED TOWARDS NEW ENEMY + 200 Space Bucks.

"WATCH OUT THERES A GRENADE COMING TOWARDS YOU"

MOVED AWAY FROM GRENADE + 100 Space Bucks.

How does it make a difference if there's an indicator or not?
As someone who has a problem with the text - more spoonfed clutter.
It's been mentioned multiple times now that it's in the first 1/3 of the game. That can mean many things, because 1/3 of a 9 hour game (for example) is 3 hours. But I'm assuming it's near the start of that third and in one interview it was mentioned that you'll fight some Covenant first, get your bearings, etc. Then at some point you end up on Requiem, and the way that Chief and Cortana already seemed to be familiar with the Cryptum, it seems they already have had at least some contact at that point.
Yup. And I'm sure we'll get many more Forerunner variants.
Sucks that we've seen them, but really, they had to. They really did.

Thanks. Bummer they showed the reveal of new enemies that far into the game, but hopefully there are some surprises left down the road.

I'm kind of hoping Frankie is just pulling a number out and it's not actually 1/3 into the game. Seems like it would have to be relatively close to the beginning of the game.

GhaleonEB

How does it make a difference if there's an indicator or not?

Situational awareness is a skill. Providing indicators for things the game is already providing ample feedback on seems a wee redundant to me, but it also means players have more of a crutch to lean on if they are unable to take in what is going on around them.

It makes the game more accessible, which I'm sure was the goal. I don't think it's a big deal, but I understand why one might object to it.

Overdoziz

Banned
by looking at your drawing, its probably so that the reticle cant be blocked by text

"xx420SmokerBausxx killed by A27 Starwolf with a headshot" will block out the reticle on a smaller TV
iF8yBZz4rqvdu.png

Falagard

Shame that one third of the game is fighting the Covenant. I'm done with that...

Yeah, but keep in mind in another interview it was mentioned that the Prometheans will have interesting interactions with the Covies on the battlefield. For example, at some times they might be fighting the Elites, and others they might ignore the Elites for a bigger threat, with a temporary truce. Could be interesting with Marines, Elites and Covies 3 way.

Considering the 'nade indicator is there for a second at most it's not a big deal.
The other stuff is more worrying.
The whole point is that it's unnecessary, I don't care how much time that damn icon will appear on my HUD, it just shouldn't be there.

Instead of adding a little audio cue like Reach has they decided to go for the nade indicator, their philosophy seems to be: the more shit on your screen, the better... :(

BigShow36

The whole point is tgat is unnecedsry, I don't care how much time that damn icon will appear on my HUD, it just shouldn't be there.

Instead of adfing a little audio cue like Reach has they decided to go for the nade indicator, their philosophy seems to be: the more shit on your screen, the better... :(

In this case, its a blatant rip off from CoD. That also seems to be a recurring theme.

Trey

Don't even mention the F word.

No Flood has already been confirmed.

oops :)

Grenade indicators will prove to be a minor annoyance--nothing more. Out of all the gameplay we've seen it's just now being noticed there was a grenade indicator.

This is why I barely watched the campaign demo. Ever since Halo 3, they've shown/talked about far too much of the campaign for my tastes. That's what I get for having little to no willpower for this kind of thing...

Falagard

Someone needs to tell me if vehicle health is tied to the player, as in games prior to Reach, or the vehicle itself. Someone's got to be able to answer that. Frankie?

People who played it at E3? Anyone?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
One thing I'm a little concerned with is the lack of wide open expanses shown in campaign thus far. Has Frankie commented on that at all? Will there be levels similar to the mission Sword Base in Reach?

Cheers.
the demo is a tight, constrained and dense set of encounters to introduce new elements - in the shipping game those events will have more air. Encounters will often be as big, sometimes bigger than traditional Halo areas. Lots of exploration and biiiig spaces for vehicles - also true for Spartan Ops.

Holiday

Banned
the demo is a tight, constrained and dense set of encounters to introduce new elements - in the shipping game those events will have more air. Encounters will often be as big, sometimes bigger than traditional Halo areas. Lots of exploration and biiiig spaces for vehicles - also true for Spartan Ops.
STK on the Light Rifle? Don't hold out.

Is it a mish mash created just for E3? Or exactly how that level (currently) plays out? [Fantastic showing!]

BigShow36

Whats the deal with the rocket not killing his teammate?

Trey

leggooo

Arnie

progreenw8jjd.gif

Then fucking invite me to the party brah!

In 30 mins, I'm getting food.

Sweet tears of joy.

Vire

My man.

Nonetheless, I was super impressed with what you guys showed. Keep up the good work.

It'd be nice to have HUD notification configurations schemes, just like with controls.

This way you could have a COD scheme, a BF one or a clean "classic" one for people who don't need to be fellated by the notification system. :D

Top Bottom