• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Woorloog

Banned
That cod flinch has given me some damn easy headshots and vice versa. Flinch has no place in a game like halo where putting multiple shots into eachother is the normal flow of a battle.

Why would people even suggest that for Halo? (I said it as a joke earlier)

It ain't needed. In COD, it works fine due to ADS. In Halo, since there is no ADS, no flinch is needed. Scoping in is not the same as ADS after all.

789shadow

Banned
this really doesn't make sense if you have knowledge of cod gameplay. If you start getting shot, you're not going to just turn around and headshot someone. You're already dead by the time you notice. Removing flinch doesn't change that. In fact, flinch helps enable it. Like Risen said, this makes more sense if you're talking about recoil, but still not that much more sense. People wouldn't just start aiming for the head more, it just doesn't pay out for the amount of effort it takes
Well, know we're just getting into the flawed fundamentals that make CoD suck so hard. We shouldn't really be discussing how CoD's kill times are too fast.

On the topic of scoping/unscoping in Halo though, I support that you don't get knocked out of scope with a BR. I haven't seen whether you get knocked out of scope when you're using a sniper, but I'd be a little upset if you didn't

I'm just happy folks found it useful. :D
I direct everyone I know there, best compilation of info I've seen I think

Woorloog

Banned
If they shoot you five times in the dome from distance then they deserve all they get.

The problem is the extreme range of DMR and the inability to return fire from distance after getting unscoped... that one gets first shot doesn't mean they deserve the win in Halo.
This discussion is going in circles, right?

I just want to clarify: I AM NOT lordmasterization! Or I AM NOT OF THESE 14 IDIOTS who liked his comment. These guys are only copycats of me. I am the Original. I am Combat Evolved or Halo 2. They are Reach. They will give up and ask for a Turn 10 hoodie when they see it on the Forza Horizon video. I will stay true to the 343i Hoodie. I will fight this hopeless fight to the bitter end. I know my goals are high and I will maybe never reach it. But I beli343.

It is not the first level, it is a 1/3rd into campaign.
AFAIK, the first level is in
The Forward Unto Dawn's wreck.
You understood his post wrong...

Blinding

Oh, I guess you like having kills determined by who shoots who first.

Actually, I don't see it like that at all. For me I've never had an issue with going right back into zoom after getting knocked out, and it's been a seemingly natural flow of gunplay and if anything allowed the knocking out to better indicate to me when shots are actually hitting me (which could mean I need to adjust my strafe, or need to back away from the fight and move into cover, etc.) I wouldn't have an issue with them getting rid of being knocked out if the same level of damage indication is there, but you can't really tell if it is, so for now it's a negative change for me.

kylej

Banned
didn't really read the COD conversation over the last few pages but I just wanted to say the notion that it's a "twitch" shooter is pretty funny. COD is about map control, learning the spawn systems, positioning, situational awareness, and aim. People who think it's a baby game compared to Halo are bad at COD. The game is sooooo fast and fluid, makes Halo look like slow motion when you've got a good team. I hope Blops 2 is as good as Blops.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I don't get it. Your predictions where spot on down to the letter. What was shown wasn't the first mission. What's the problem?

USA Today said they were showing the first mission. So I told them to fuck off.

And to be fair I wasn't spot on, they didn't explain the engine like I thought. I expected someone speaking a bit.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
didn't really read the COD conversation over the last few pages but I just wanted to say the notion that it's a "twitch" shooter is pretty funny. COD is about map control, learning the spawn systems, positioning, situational awareness, and aim. People who think it's a baby game compared to Halo are bad at COD. The game is sooooo fast and fluid, makes Halo look like slow motion when you've got a good team. I hope Blops 2 is as good as Blops.

Another time I agree with Kyle. I enjoy both games because they differ in play style. :)

Trey

Um, no, because it's just a stupid game of "if I shoot you first, you cannot possibly fight back effectively."

The problem is the extreme range of DMR and the inability to return fire from distance after getting unscoped... that one gets first shot doesn't mean they deserve the win in Halo.
This discussion is going in circles, right?

If the guy can maintain a level of accuracy to five shot kill you from a distance with nothing but headshots, I don't think being unscoped the entire time is an unfair compromise. Headshots are incentivized, which brings a risk/reward element to gunfights, which increases the skill gap. I proposed this before. Sticking by it.

789shadow

Banned
If the guy can maintain a level of accuracy to five shot kill you from a distance with nothing but headshots, I don't think being unscoped the entire time is an unfair compromise. Headshots are incentivized, which brings a risk/reward element to gunfights, which increases the skill gap. I proposed this before. Sticking by it.
Even a child could do this with the DMR because it has perfect accuracy, a stupid fast fire rate, and 3x scope. So no, it's exceedingly simple to do that.

tumblr_linf2r4szy1qzcq51o1_500.gif

Woorloog

Banned
Another time I agree with Kyle. I enjoy both games because they differ in play style. :)

I agree with him here as well. Though i still maintain that COD is a twitch shooter. In my experience. I've never seen map control and that stuff in it, not really anyway.
(Nuketown doesn't count).
All people did was to run around and when you found someone, it was a reflex game.
Note that i'm not as good in COD as i'm in Halo, i'm rather lousy in COD. Don't really care, it's a frigging fun game regardless. Halo is only fun when i'm doing well.

That said, also expecting BLOPS2. Too bad it launches way too close to Halo 4... don't have budget for them both, nor time to play them both.

Overdoziz

Banned
They've fucked up CoD though. Can't stand any of the newer games because there's so much bullshit in it that frustrates me when I get killed by it. CoD4 can still be enjoyable though. Still play it every now and then, it's a lot more straight forward than CoD games these days.

Trey

Even a child could do this with the DMR because it has perfect accuracy, a stupid fast fire rate, and 3x scope. So no, it's exceedingly simple to do that.

I disagree.

But let's assume it is that easy to cross map with the DMR. Wouldn't it be pointless to fight with someone who shot you first regardless of if there's unscoping or not based on the fact that it should be easy for someone to finish their plate? It's exceedingly simple, so there's no practical reason to do anything but run to cover.

789shadow

Banned
I disagree.

But let's assume it is that easy to cross map with the DMR. Wouldn't it be pointless to fight with someone who shot you first regardless of if there's unscoping or not based on the fact that it should be easy for someone to finish their plate? It's exceedingly simple, so there's no practical reason to do anything but run to cover.
Um, this is not a good thing. I should always be able to effectively fight back no matter the circumstance.

One runs at 60fps. The other isn't confirmed to be locked at 30. You know what to do.
Console CoD doesn't run at a locked 60fps. Still higher than 30, but just stating a fact.

If you own a decent surround sound setup then you owe it to yourself to download the E3 Presentation from the Xbox press site and treat your ears. Sounds soooooo good.

Trey

Um, this is not a good thing. I should always be able to effectively fight back no matter the circumstance.

That's what I'm (hypothetically) saying. If cross mapping were so easy, 5sk should be raining from the skies like mass population personal ordinances. It wouldn't matter if you fought back with someone who got a shot off on you, because they'll easily clean you up in four more shots if you engaged, unscoping or no. At best you'll leave them one shot.

One runs at 60fps. The other isn't confirmed to be locked at 30. You know what to do.

I bet pong would run at obscene fps on the 360. The answer has always been here, right in front of our eyes!

Woorloog

Banned
Has the new Needler shown up in anywhere yet? It's very important that it's at least as good as the Reach Needler.

According to leaks, it is a weapon drop, can be seen on Halo 4 page in the ordnance section. That's all we know. Really hope it is more like Halo 3 Needler, with Reach's accuracy. Though that might be too powerful.

I bet pong would run at obscene fps on the 360. The answer has always been here, right in front of our eyes!
You do know it can't be really higher than 60 FPS unless the TV/Display can have higher refresh rate?

There are a few things about halo that I find absolutely essential and should not be thrown away so easily. Being knocked out of scope when taking damage is one of those things.

I can only hope the reason that terrible ign player didn't exit scope while being shot was due to the awareness perk or something; even then, I'm not looking forward to this.

EDIT: Nope, he had ammo as his perk :(

So far it looks like the Needle Rifle has been replaced with the Carbine (which is awesome). Now all they need to do is get rid of the Focus Rifle and bring back the Beam Rifle. :)

Kuroyume

Banned
I'd rather have the needle rifle more so than the needler at this point. Wouldn't surprise me if it's in considering the DMR and BR can exist in the same game. The super combine makes it unique enough for it to be in there.

Needle Rifle > Carbine/Needler btw

senador

Banned
If the scope thing is true, and there by design, and not from a specialization or a bug or something (I expect 1 or the other), I don't think I care. At this point I've downed the koolaid and I'm ready to try some new stuff. Let's do this.

It appears from my time reading HaloGAF that no one really agrees on what should be Halo and what they'd like to see done. Based on that, there'd never be an outcome where everyone would be completely happy, IMHO.

^^ Its not looking like the NR is in at this point. I love that gun though and would miss it.

Woorloog

Banned
So far it looks like the Needle Rifle has been replaced with the Carbine (which is awesome). Now all they need to do is get rid of the Focus Rifle and bring back the Beam Rifle. :)

Why not both? Both the Nerfle and the Carbine and both the Focus Rifle and the Beam Rifle?
And the Sentinel Beam as well, of course.
Actually, i don't think this is too far fetched since 343i is expanding the sandbox due to three factions and unlock system.

Computron

Thrusters look promising:

ihpCciV0Esz8D.gif

It's the only first person video I could find of it.
I perspective-cropped the screen into place from the IGN video.
(Taking out the watermark the process)

It doesn't look as fast I had hoped from first person.
Although, that might be because he's going up a hill.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

ihpCciV0Esz8D.gif

I perspective-cropped the screen into place from that IGN video.

It doesn't look as fast I had hoped from first person, but that might be because he's going up hill.

Ok, that looks badass hahaha

Ryaaan14

Banned

ihpCciV0Esz8D.gif

I perspective-cropped the screen into place from that IGN video.

It doesn't look as fast I had hoped from first person.
that might be because he's going up hill.

HOLY SHIT.

Woorloog

Banned
I want to see the beam rifle back in. It was a fun weapon.

I want a mod that allows dual wielding magnums with beam rifle projectiles. That was damn fun in Halo 2 Vista (self-made SP mod, simple projectile substitute), dual wielding ray guns.

Beam Rifle did have this "feel" in it, a feel the Focus Rifle and the human sniper lack.

Top Bottom