• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Thrusters look promising:

ihpCciV0Esz8D.gif

It's the only first person video I could find of it.
I perspective-cropped the screen into place from the IGN video.
(Taking out the watermark the process)

It doesn't look as fast I had hoped from first person.
Although, that might be because he's going up hill.

I hope this doesnt end up being as annoying as evade. Can you only go forward with it?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, I guess you like having kills determined by who shoots who first.
I get shot, I retreat or use cover. Quick base speed aids that, which is part of why Reach's combat is so lacking. Sprint helps, but also makes retreating too easy.

Also: situational awareness. Knowing when someone is near you. Team work. Using call outs. All of these things mitigate the problem you're describing, which really isn't a problem at all, but a crucial part of high level play.

The shield charging sound as the THC logo pops up is genius.

*Thrusters .gif*

Although, that might be because he's going up a hill.
I think thrusters will be the first AA I try in this game, if available.

789shadow

Banned
I get shot, I retreat or use cover. Quick base speed aids that, which is part of why Reach's combat is so lacking. Sprint helps, but also makes retreating too easy.

Also: situational awareness. Knowing when someone is near you. Team work. Using call outs. All of these things mitigate the problem you're describing, which really isn't a problem at all, but a crucial part of high level play.
Um, you aren't going to be in scope anyway in these situations.
And the option that you didn't list up there is to shoot back, which is the problem.

Computron

ihpCciV0Esz8D.gif

Although, that might be because he's going up a hill.

IGN has professional video makers but they can't film for shit.

Are there any portable video recording devices that work as with an HDMI pass-through?
That would be Ideal, just unplug the HDMI from the monitor into the device and plug the other end back into the monitor.

Woorloog

Banned
I think thrusters will be the first AA I try in this game, if available.

Won't be available right away. Gotta unlock it first. That is, unless the pre-determine, map-specific (assuming those are still in) loadouts include it.
And yeah, it looks fun, cool. Evade is neither, though it is useful.

Hope you like this guys :D

I'm pretty sure Nexy has been uploading this all day on super slow hotel internet.

From some brief looks at other vids, it seems like you can go back and side to side with it as well. Unlike evade though it only holds one activation per charge.
that is true, with only one use it would be a much better ability to deal with and level the field.

blamite

According to leaks, it is a weapon drop, can be seen on Halo 4 page in the ordnance section. That's all we know. Really hope it is more like Halo 3 Needler, with Reach's accuracy. Though that might be too powerful.

Looks just like the Reach version, but... purpler. I was kind of hoping for something more different looking, like the change from H3 Carbine to H4 Carbine, but at least it's based on the best version of the Needler yet.

Eh, I'm not really a huge fan of the Halo 3 version. I think the firing rate's a bit too slow, whereas the Reach version has a better balance of speed, accuracy, and shots to kill. I'm hoping the Halo 4 version will be balanced based on move speed and such to work similarly.

When it comes tot he Needle Rifle, I could honestly take it or leave it. If it was added alongside the Carbine, I think it would need some significant changes to make it justifiable. Although... now that I think about it, a three shot burst Needle Rifle does sound pretty great...

Why not both? Both the Nerfle and the Carbine and both the Focus Rifle and the Beam Rifle?
And the Sentinel Beam as well, of course.
Actually, i don't think this is too far fetched since 343i is expanding the sandbox due to three factions and unlock system.

Fine we can have both! :lol

I guess if 343 had to choose one of each, it should be the Carbine (which thankfully is already in) and the Beam Rifle.

P.S. Sentinel Beam needs to come back.

Woorloog

Banned
Looks just like the Reach version, but... purpler. I was kind of hoping for something more different looking, like the change from H3 Carbine to H4 Carbine, but at least it's based on the best version of the Needler yet.

Eh, I'm not really a huge fan of the Halo 3 version. I think the firing rate's a bit too slow, whereas the Reach version has a better balance of speed, accuracy, and shots to kill. I'm hoping the Halo 4 version will be balanced based on move speed and such to work similarly.

I did say a mix, didn't i? Did i?

Anyway, Reach Needler is way too weak against shielded targets. Or at least it has too few ammo per magazine, can't kill two people with one magazine unless they do not have shields on the first place.
Halo 3's Needler is slower but it is far more powerful, if less homing. I think i do prefer Reach Needler overall though.

EDIT once i get to continue building my map, definetly adding a couple of Needlers on it.

Reach's Needler was ruined by the fact that it took until the needles hit flesh in order to super combine. Takes too long to kill with it, and it's not as useful in campaign. Halo 3's was perfect.

Won't be available right away. Gotta unlock it first. That is, unless the pre-determine, map-specific (assuming those are still in) loadouts include it.
And yeah, it looks fun, cool. Evade is neither, though it is useful.
That's what I'm saying, maybe it'll be one of the map presets.

ZalinKrow

Fine we can have both! :lol

I guess if 343 had to choose one of each, it should be the Carbine (which thankfully is already in) and the Beam Rifle.

P.S. Sentinel Beam needs to come back.

I totally read that as 'Sentimental Beam' haha. It could be an interesting weapon!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Um, you aren't going to be in scope anyway in these situations.
And the option that you didn't list up there is to shoot back, which is the problem.
You're saying that if someone's scoped out to shoot you long distance, you're at a disadvantage because you can't scope out to shoot them. To me, the problem there is that you're even trying to engage in that battle at all. If you're at a disadvantage, then retreat. Wait for your shields to recharge, get a better vantage point, close some distance, whatever. Don't bother with a losing battle.

And, I guess I dont see a problem with losing when you get shot first. Like I said before, there's ways to avoid those situations. Radar, situational awareness, team work. But if, despite all those things, someone still gets the drop on you, then they deserve the kill.

And again: Reach's shitty movement and strafe speeds made this a bigger problem. Hopefully you're better able to dodge and juke in Halo 4.

Havok

Heavies followed by Paradiso, the ultimate fun-killing combination. Thanks for joining, heckfu et al.

Why Paradiso remains in matchmaking after being fixed made slightly more tolerable is a complete mystery.

Woorloog

Banned
Heavies followed by Paradiso, the ultimate fun-killing combination. Thanks for joining, heckfu et al.

Why Paradiso remains in matchmaking after being fixed made slightly more tolerable is a complete mystery.

Tolerable? Paradiso is the shit and that one custom variant (Utopie?) of it is equally horrible. No excuse to have either on any playlist.

Overdoziz

Banned
Reach's Needler was ruined by the fact that it took until the needles hit flesh in order to super combine. Takes too long to kill with it, and it's not as useful in campaign. Halo 3's was perfect.
The Halo 3 Needler has a slow rate of fire and follows players much less. Every time I use it in 3 it's like shooting purple poop at enemies. It's actually pretty good in Reach.

Woorloog

Banned
It's actually pretty good in Reach.

Godlike against Jetpackers. Though it kills a tad too slow regardless.
I always though Reach's Needler being like an improved version oh Halo CE's where the Needler had good homing capabilities. Halo 2's and 3's are more similar to each other, not to mention looking more like each other, where as Halo CE's and Reach's look more similar.

kylej

Banned
so today we learned that there's no friendly fire and you don't get de-scoped when hit, then I look at the top of the page and see some sort of speed boost thing.

Rapidly looking like 100% MLG playlist in Halo 4 this November.

789shadow

Banned
You're saying that if someone's scoped out to shoot you long distance, you're at a disadvantage because you can't scope out to shoot them. To me, the problem there is that you're even trying to engage in that battle at all. If you're at a disadvantage, then retreat. Wait for your shields to recharge, get a better vantage point, close some distance, whatever. Don't bother with a losing battle.

And, I guess I dont see a problem with losing when you get shot first. Like I said before, there's ways to avoid those situations. Radar, situational awareness, team work. But if, despite all those things, someone still gets the drop on you, then they deserve the kill.

And again: Reach's shitty movement and strafe speeds made this a bigger problem. Hopefully you're better able to dodge and juke in Halo 4.

You're still not getting the problem. Radar and awareness is useless because this is a long range problem.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
so today we learned that there's no friendly fire and you don't get de-scoped when hit, then I look at the top of the page and see some sort of speed boost thing.

Yup. If Frankie won't save us, MLG hopefully will.

You're still not getting the problem. Radar and awareness is useless because this is a long range problem.
I don't see it as a problem. It's subjective design choice that isn't inherently good or bad. It is a historical and arguably definitive part of Halo's combat, though. It's removal would be one more nail in the Halo 4 coffin to me.

I think it was u4ix, Jazzy or APK that thought of it, it was so funny when it came up on skype and we all started screaming because of how awesome the idea was.

----
because i always get the last post..

Hands On HALO 4 impressions SPRINT E3 2012

Gonna have to say without playing, and only going on what I've seen, I have to agree with Bestman. I think Sprint is a different beast in 4, due to the fact it's no longer an armour ability, and it will be quite a bit different with the proper maps. The two I've seen so far look great - Adrift and Haven.

The Halo 3 Needler has a slow rate of fire and follows players much less. Every time I use it in 3 it's like shooting purple poop at enemies. It's actually pretty good in Reach.
It has to be used correctly in certain situations. I was a walking dispenser of Pink Mist in Halo 3 customs. It's much more versatile in campaign than it is in multiplayer, and in multiplayer, you have to be within a certain distance. At that range, you're a goner.

The Needler's effectiveness in Reach in comparison to Halo 3's is also diluted by the fact that you're a less maneuverable player in Reach, making it seem more effective when it's not. The Needler in Reach is sooo easy to use.

I don't know how I feel about friendly fire, although it will make griefing by randoms less prevalent. Haven't you ever had those games where someone follows you around the entire match taking your shields down, but not actually betraying you? Halo can be a trolls paradise.

Edit: Also, if MLG doesn't adopt Vanilla Halo 4 this time around, they might as well give up on first person shooters. People want to watch what they can play themselves. Halo 3 MLG at least had a high feature parity. The further away you get from the default game, the smaller your audience.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Yea I'm still waiting to see how no friendly fire plays out. Not excited about that change but I'm not gonna shit on it. Knocking out of zoom being gone is major. It seriously changes the face of long range encounters. We'll see exactly how it plays though.

789shadow

Banned
I don't see it as a problem. It's subjective design choice that isn't inherently good or bad. It is a historical and arguably definitive part of Halo's combat, though. It's removal would be one more nail in the Halo 4 coffin to me.
That's too bad, because it's objectively bad since the DMR in Reach.

kylej

Banned
The further away you get from the default game, the smaller your audience.

hmmm...

anyway, as long as Forge is as good as an XBLA dirt bike game made by 20 people or a 4 year old Ubisoft game, I expect to have a lot of fun with Halo 4. MLG settings + varied and aesthetically pleasing user created maps = sign me up.

Yea I'm still waiting to see how no friendly fire plays out. Not excited about that change but I'm not gonna shit on it. Knocking out of zoom being gone is major. It seriously changes the face of long range encounters. We'll see exactly how it plays though.

It will probably work out the same, you shoot the visor anyway to obscure their vision, when at all possible. It will probably obscure the scope as well.

senador

Banned

No way no way no way. Reach Needler is best. Looks, sound, and function. Can't be too far away and have to at least BR aiming at your target. It's kill time makes it good because while it can kill fast, you've got to land enough, or it doesn't do much.

feel

Love those booster sparks, might have to roll with that AA just because of it, I have a thing for videogame sparks. :)

CyReN

You won't see a competitive playlist until January at the earliest.

senador

Banned
hmmm...

anyway, as long as Forge is as good as an XBLA dirt bike game made by 20 people or a 4 year old Ubisoft game, I expect to have a lot of fun with Halo 4. MLG settings + varied and aesthetically pleasing user created maps = sign me up.

It won't be. They aren't the same anyway though so I don't understand why you keep using this terrible comparison.

Top Bottom