• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
so today we learned that there's no friendly fire and you don't get de-scoped when hit, then I look at the top of the page and see some sort of speed boost thing.

Rapidly looking like 100% MLG playlist in Halo 4 this November.

I think there might be more to the no friendly fire thing than there seems to be. I wonder if it was something they had on just for the public E3 stuff.

kylej

Banned
It won't be. They aren't the same anyway though so I don't nderstsnd why you keep using this terrible comparison.

I would ask you how it's a terrible comparison, but then I remembered you're the guy who doesn't care if the game chugs at 14fps so really I'd be better off discussing Halo 4 expectations with a piece of cardboard.

With the (seemingly) replacement of the pro-pipe with the Sticky Detonator, unless it's hiding somewhere, my biggest concern in Halo 4 is the SD being a poor substitute.

If there's anything that deserves to be carried over from Reach, it's the grenade launcher.

Edit: Well, okay, I was joking about that being my biggest concern – a good campaign is far more important – but, dammit, that weapon is too much fun!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
hmmm...

anyway, as long as Forge is as good as an XBLA dirt bike game made by 20 people or a 4 year old Ubisoft game, I expect to have a lot of fun with Halo 4. MLG settings + varied and aesthetically pleasing user created maps = sign me up.
I see you're in rerun season now.

senador

Banned
I would ask you how it's a terrible comparison, but then I remembered you're the guy who doesn't care if the game chugs at 14fps so really I'd be better off discussing Halo 4 expectations with a piece of cardboard.

I never said that, I just don't find them worthy of crying over like the 5 people here that do. What I said was, I expect some dips here and there since this is still the 360 and I've experienced frame rate dips since I started gaming on the NES.

If you don't understand why that's a terrible comparison, then you don't really understand game development or programming, which is fine, most people don't, but you're flat out wrong and should dial it back a bit.

I thinks kyle's comparisons are entertaining :lol

I do much of the time, the rest of the time I just find it tiresome and rude.

Yea I'm still waiting to see how no friendly fire plays out. Not excited about that change but I'm not gonna shit on it. Knocking out of zoom being gone is major. It seriously changes the face of long range encounters. We'll see exactly how it plays though.

I'm assuming that friendly fire is off just for the E3 show floor.

I want to say that Bungie said they did that for E3 or something else for the press to make it an easier experience for the press players (Because they knew they would all be terrible at the game to begin with lol).

No de-scope is a big change. Hoping that it's still on the Sniper, but as for it on the BR and DMR, I'll have to wait and see how it plays.

Bring back Ranked vs Social with 4-6 playlists each.

This is 343 we are talking about here. Ranked, Social, HCE class, H2 Classic, H3 Classic, Reach Classic, Standard, Standard Infinity, some other crazy thing. All with 20~ playlists each. I'm sure that 343 made sure that their matchmaking for H4 could support well over the quite small 26 playlists that are allowed in Reach. They should go for a clean 100 playlists for launch. So good.

Wolf

I want 10 Slayer playlists each with confusingly similar settings.

Ryaaan14

Banned
This is 343 we are talking about here. Ranked, Social, HCE class, H2 Classic, H3 Classic, Reach Classic, Standard, Standard Infinity, some other crazy thing. All with 20~ playlists each. I'm sure that 343 made sure that their matchmaking for H4 could support well over the quite small 26 playlists that are allowed in Reach. They should go for a clean 100 playlists for launch. So good.

Tha fuk

Striker

If we're going by what we strictly want, why would you only want so few ranked? Unranked should primarily be for guests and social encounters, i.e. Team Training and Multi-Team. There's no need for a duplicate playlist system that has a rank/unranked slayer, objective, btb, and so forth.

But going off what we've gotten in Reach's MM since the takeoever, I'm sure we'll see a ridiculous amount of Slayers and 20+ playlists, again.

Getting knocked out of scope when hit is a mechanic that I'm used to and appreciate when I'm the one knocking a sniper out of scope. I am NOT a fan of the mechanic when I get a bad spawn and someone starts DMR-ing me from long range and all I can do is look somewhere in their general direction while I watch my shield deplete.

If they have made the sniper harder to use, allowing players to remain scoped in while being shot might play ok. Like everyone else here I won't be able to form a complete opinion until my 500th match sometime in early November.

Ryaaan14

Banned
If we're going by what we strictly want, why would you only want so few ranked? Unranked should primarily be for guests and social encounters, i.e. Team Training and Multi-Team. There's no need for a duplicate playlist system that has a rank/unranked slayer, objective, btb, and so forth.

But going off what we've gotten in Reach's MM since the takeoever, I'm sure we'll see a ridiculous amount of Slayers and 20+ playlists, again.

I mean it's obvious, I just don't want the population so separated. Halo 3 did it right in the beginning, they had the staples, Team Slayer, Team Objective, Big Team Battle, Lone Wolves, then the weekend playlists. It would make much more sense to start that way, rather than have 20+ playlists for people to play in, and add even more as the population lowers. Halo 3 is a fucking mess right now because of this.

Edit: That sounded confusing. What I'm saying is start with around 10-12 playlists + weekend specials. As population dies down, refine, don't add all weekend playlists.

Blops 2 ...60 fps
Pikmin 3...60 fps
Halo 4...Somewhere around 20.

You know what to do.

Buy Blops 2 play it for awhile til bored. Complain about Halo. Buy Pikmin disc and poop on it.

Getting knocked out of scope when hit is a mechanic that I'm used to and appreciate when I'm the one knocking a sniper out of scope. I am NOT a fan of the mechanic when I get a bad spawn and someone starts DMR-ing me from long range and all I can do is look somewhere in their general direction while I watch my shield deplete.

If they have made the sniper harder to use, allowing players to remain scoped in while being shot might play ok. Like everyone else here I won't be able to form a complete opinion until my 500th match sometime in early November.

Maybe let it work for the sniper, but not other weapons?

i dont post much but i want to speculate. why is cortana on what appears to be infinity's bridge, telling someone they cant leave? who. didact? the infinity captain? chief? my theory:
the infinity might not be there for good intentions. i totally think the twist this time is that the humans on infinity are actually the bad guys in this game. i mean this would definitely be something extremely hard for the chief to deal with. his entire life he's just followed orders, what if this time he had to make a choice. maybe chief/cortana does something to stop infinity from leaving, could explain why the infinity's still on requiem 6 months later.

anyway, just a theory.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Fuck it, my dream Halo 4 MP lobbys:

1. Ranked
    • Lone Wolves
    • Team Slayer (4P)
    • Team MLG (4P)
    • Team Objective (4P)
    • Team SWAT (4P)
    • Team Snipers (4P)
  2. Social
    • Multi-Team
    • Social Slayer (5P)
    • Social Objective (5P)
    • Big Team Battle
    • Action Sack (4P)

Then one weekend playlist in each category.

Booshka

No de-scope is a big change. Hoping that it's still on the Sniper, but as for it on the BR and DMR, I'll have to wait and see how it plays.

If the aim assist and magnetism mechanics are similar to Halo CE or Shadowrun's then it won't be too much of a problem, but if they are like every other Halo game, then I see it as a huge difference in gameplay.

789shadow

Banned
  1. Ranked
    • Lone Wolves
    • Team Slayer
    • Team MLG
    • Team Objective
    • Team SWAT
    • Team Snipers

2. Social
    • Multi-Team
    • Social Slayer
    • Big Team Battle
    • Action Sack

You just need to add a Zombies list to Social.

Because it will be there. Maybe not at launch, but it will be there.

Lol, do you just keep cycling through?
I gotta be honest, if I was there I would just run that circuit until the building shut down.

There are variants of precision weapons in Halo 4, so maybe there's another grenade launcher variant. Yes? Maybe?

There are also 15 primary weapons you can unlock, which leaves a lot of room for a grenade launcher. Unfortunately the Scattershot has the bounce-around-corners feature and the Sticky Detonator (I like that name by the way) has the delayed explosion feature which may mean that 343 considers the GL to be redundant.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
i dont post much but i want to speculate. why is cortana on what appears to be infinity's bridge, telling someone they cant leave? who. didact? the infinity captain? chief? my theory:
the infinity might not be there for good intentions. i totally think the twist this time is that the humans on infinity are actually the bad guys in this game. i mean this would definitely be something extremely hard for the chief to deal with. his entire life he's just followed orders, what if this time he had to make a choice. maybe chief/cortana does something to stop infinity from leaving, could explain why the infinity's still on requiem 6 months later.

anyway, just a theory.

Unless there's some serious ONI nasty business going on, no. The intro live action video even discredits your theory.

I gotta be honest, if I was there I would just run that circuit until the building shut down.

Same, nothing else this E3 interests me much anyway. Halo really is E3 this year.

Fuchsdh

I swear last time I was going to count down how many days it took before things devolved into dream playlist setups. This time I will.

Also good countdowns:

Time since last Bumper Jumper discussion: [0] days

Unless there's some serious ONI nasty business going on, no. The intro live action video even discredits your theory.

That live action politician was full o' crap :p

Havok

1. Ranked
    • Lone Wolves
    • Team Slayer
    • Team MLG
    • Team Objective
    • Team SWAT
    • Team Snipers
  2. Social
    • Multi-Team
    • Social Slayer
    • Big Team Battle
    • Action Sack

Then one weekend playlist in each category.
As much as I hate to say it, Objective can't survive in a ranked-only context. Not unless they have a serious initiative to push it as the premiere playlist and can get people excited about it like Bungie managed to do in the runup to Halo 2.

Ryaaan14

Banned
As much as I hate to say it, Objective can't survive in a ranked-only context. Not unless they have a serious initiative to push it as the premiere playlist and can get people excited about it like Bungie managed to do in the runup to Halo 2.

Oops, that was my fault. Forgot to add objective to social.

really? where. i mean that unsc guy on the stage seemed mighty suspicious

I think you're trying to see something that's not there, at least not in Cortana's way. The Infinity could be there for nefarious purposes, but Cortana was simply falling into rampancy at the end of the trailer. I wouldn't try to take anything more than that.

Top Bottom