• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

kylej

Banned
iiAguziM8rRlt.jpg

ie5oihzDCasv1.jpg

iMJghjIVYw8s.jpg

ibsWmZHdJjJA41.jpg

The Halo 4 medals look like someone forgot to push the red composite cable all the way into the back of the TV.

Woorloog

Banned
I'll repost what i said of PV.

I noticed people think the Promethean vision is OP.
Why?
It seems that people think it's too useful and start leaning on it. That's bad... Use something else, learn the maps and make educated guesses where your enemy is based on the map, your radar and his movement direction, just like in previous Halos. And then use some AA that gives you an edge in a fight (Thruster?).
Sure, firm knowledge is better than an educated guess but leaning on a single AA weakens one as a player, i think, especially when it aids in finding enemies. Not mention PV revealing you're using it.
I know i'm not going to use it much, i really do not see any reason why would i need it, especially once i know the maps and the flow.

played reach for the first time in a while last night for a few matches, got bored and decided to pop in halo 3....felt great.

while reach has some background technical aspects that are undeniably better, halo 3 is just way more fun (except for snowbound, still terrible).

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

Why?
It seems that people think it's too useful and start leaning on it. That's bad... Use something else, learn the maps and make educated guesses where your enemy is based on the map, your radar and his movement direction, just like in previous Halos. And then use some AA that gives you an edge in a fight (Thruster?).
Sure, firm knowledge is better than an educated guess but leaning on a single AA weakens one as a player, i think, especially when it aids in finding enemies. Not mention PV revealing you're using it.
I know i'm not going to use it much, i really do not see any reason why would i need it, especially once i know the maps and the flow.

an interesting idea would be if PV had a visual indicator of its use as well as a sound. what if the "sonar" actually had an orange beam radiate outward from the user, much like was seen from the live action cinematic and from the sphere of halo 4? this way, you'd have hard info about where others were, but they'd also have (softer) intell on where you are, the foci of the wave.

Woorloog

Banned
an interesting idea would be if PV had a visual indicator of its use as well as a sound. what if the "sonar" actually had an orange beam radiate outward from the user, much like was seen from the live action cinematic and from the sphere of halo 4? this way, you'd have hard info about where others were, but they'd also have (softer) intell on where you are, the foci of the wave.

I thought it had that/similar effect in addition to sound cue? Or did the visual effect for the user of PV throw me off?
Definetly needs a visual "pulse" as well, IMO. People may play with low sound, the cue is drowned by other audio, there are hearing impaired people.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
You're reading my opinion that, compared to past Halo titles, the UI looks shit.
I'm talking about Halo 4, not Reach. Reach's UI was excellent.
Reach's UI sucks ass and separates game modes from each other it's also about as unique as watching paint dry. It's also a giant bucket of lists hidden within each other. But to be fair the greatest thing about it is Active Roster.

Halo 4 seems to be making everything visual and in turn ensuring things don't get buried under menus.

played reach for the first time in a while last night for a few matches, got bored and decided to pop in halo 3....felt great.

while reach has some background technical aspects that are undeniably better, halo 3 is just way more fun (except for snowbound, still terrible).

I played some Team Doubles in Halo 3 with a buddy earlier, and then I remembered how much I detest everything about that playlist.

Reach's UI sucks ass and separates game modes from each other it's also about as unique as watching paint dry. It's also a giant bucket of lists hidden within each other. But to be fair the greatest thing about it is Active Roster.

Halo 4 seems to be making everything visual and in turn ensuring things don't get buried under menus.

Let not forget, how the file share was a pain to use and find compared to halo 3 as well Plywood.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Trey

I never had trouble find anything in the Reach menus, nor navigating them. The understated design didn't hurt my eyes and the transition between tiles/screens was effortless and smooth.

That's all I think of regarding the Reach UI.

Edit: Omg the Recon helmet looks busted. Those monsters.

Risen

Why?

Because as it was shown, and described by those that used, it seems like it gives too much real time information. Radar gives you a general idea, and can be foiled by crouching and not moving (a counter); and you have to actually be looking at the radar to get the information. This gives you real time information with no apparent counter at this point. Knowledge is power in video games too, and milliseconds matter.

In the game type presented, a relatively small amount of work nets you a power up. It was mentioned you need roughly 5 kills to get an overshield... are you telling me that knowing exactly where people are and what they are doing at all times while PV is running doesn't make it that much easier to get that overshield? Some of our Gaffers advised it couldn't be spammed... but Nexy advised he spammed it all the time... now that's probably a different definition of spam between the two, but it stll seems problematic to me. If you are going to play the "perk" game, it has to have a counter... or have something be severely self limiting; this doesn't sound like it has either.

I don't think the net effect will be bad players beating good players with it - but good players are going to walk on bad kids even harder... at least as presented thus far in that game type.

Arnie

Why is there a sudden rush to be unique? Sure, Reach looks like past Halo UI, but it's better than looking uniquely awful. Halo 4 UI looks like it was built for people with bad eyesight; a simple choice such as choosing your primary weapon takes up the entire screen, and most of that is just blue space. The font's plain bad. And aesthetically it's a mess.

I've not got a problem with hitting start and choosing from a list, I'm perfectly capable of doing that.

ssSwi.jpg

And thanks to Cyren I've got a perfect example of just how horrendous Halo 4's UI looks. It's abysmal.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just saw the awesome t-shirt for Halo 4 Tashi won. If there is a way for me to buy one of those or win won let me know. Cool stuff.

David, Frankie, pls.

EDIT: Huh, I think all the UI we've seen from Halo 4 looks amazing.

Arnie

I'm on Reach now and I'm just comparing that Halo 4 UI screen of the helmet armoury to that of Reach. And Reach looks a thousand times better. You at least get a preview of the helmet before you select it; and the majority of the screen isn't taken up by some redundant blue.

Reach gives you so much more information on a single screen than Halo 4, which just gives me the impression that Halo 4's UI is completely dumbed down. It's not intelligent. And I'll repeat, that font is ugly.

Top Bottom