• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

J10

Banned
I think that's a bit optimistic. From what I've seen it's basically "RECOVER THE FORERUNNER ARTIFACT GUYZ". I doubt that will produce any "water cooler" moments.

Maybe it helps to think more in terms of cool gameplay moments and not plot points or character work. But Halo already has plenty of those (cool gameplay moments) without Spartan Ops, so I dunno.

FyreWulff

When I went to Spain, the majority I learned was profanity and what a disconnect there is between profanity in Mexican spanish and Spain spanish.

Lo siento y te quiero!

I like how they taught us Spain Spanish for middle/high school in a community that was Hispanic. Of course the angle is that the kids that were really into it were offered to stay with a family in Spain for a summer.

"Here, we'll teach you a version of Spanish that you're going to have to relearn from the actual Mexicans you'll interact with IRL."

thisispublicschooling.gif

As long as the navigation in Halo 4's UI is quick then I have no qualms. I don't mind the clean simplistic style that is going on right now. :)

As for the Fury/Demon team names... with the fact that it says you are on "Red" then it says the team name I kinda wanna believe that a clan system is making a return. If I was on a large ship like the infinity for training simulations I'm sure many soldiers would start up groups and compete with each other... it is the military way. ;)

Not only that if 343i knew about Microsoft's new online tournament system, clans would work hand-in-hand with setup tournaments. And Fury/Demon seems like placeholder names for something that we could make up ourselves anyway... with a way to report clan names of course and control what they are. Also "Microsoft promises 'top titles from leading publishers' will feature" leads me to believe that 343i is more than just aware of this and will be one of the upcoming games to plan for it and accommodate it nicely within their game's UI for info or signing up, etc.

As far as pressing X just to see your XBL friends list, I really hope that there are plans to bring perhaps a merger of the active roster and halo 2's friends/clan list. Press X and that whole tab at the bottom slides up to reveal a halo 2-esque list that is much QUICKER than the XBL menus. Prior to pressing X we would have a quick preview of who is online active roster style in the friends icon. I can understand the want to keep a clean and elegant UI so I don't mind the preview not being there. I just loved having the active roster as a quicker way of inviting, joining, and even just seeing who was on Halo without having to pull up the clunky guide friends list.

Not sure if anyone realized this either, but the active roster has an option to switch between XBL Friends, XBL Party, and possibly Local if I remember correctly... the feature seems a bit pointless unless they had planned on wanting clan implementation and having your clan be in that selection, but never got the chance to.

Yeah I think Reach's UI is perfect. I can understand 343 not wanting to just copy and paste what Bungie did, but I wish the Halo 4 UI was an evolution of what Reach did. It seems completely different so far, although without having used it I can only go by what I've seen.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Two things have made me laugh in the last few pages:

1. Hazop.
2. Elzar defending Lisa Frank medals.

Two things have made me laugh in the last few pages:

1. Hazop.
2. Elzar defending Lisa Frank medals.

tumblr_liymnbD1M01qc8ax1o1_500.jpg

I had to google Lisa Frank, how do you know this?! Lol.

As long as the navigation in Halo 4's UI is quick then I have no qualms. I don't mind the clean simplistic style that is going on right now. :)

As for the Fury/Demon team names... with the fact that it says you are on "Red" then it says the team name I kinda wanna believe that a clan system is making a return. If I was on a large ship like the infinity for training simulations I'm sure many soldiers would start up groups and compete with each other... it is the military way. ;)

Not only that if 343i knew about Microsoft's new online tournament system, clans would work hand-in-hand with setup tournaments. And Fury/Demon seems like placeholder names for something that we could make up ourselves anyway... with a way to report clan names of course and control what they are. Also "Microsoft promises 'top titles from leading publishers' will feature" leads me to believe that 343i is more than just aware of this and will be one of the upcoming games to plan for it and accommodate it nicely within their game's UI for info or signing up, etc.

As far as pressing X just to see your XBL friends list, I really hope that there are plans to bring perhaps a merger of the active roster and halo 2's friends/clan list. Press X and that whole tab at the bottom slides up to reveal a halo 2-esque list that is much QUICKER than the XBL menus. Prior to pressing X we would have a quick preview of who is online active roster style in the friends icon. I can understand the want to keep a clean and elegant UI so I don't mind the preview not being there. I just loved having the active roster as a quicker way of inviting, joining, and even just seeing who was on Halo without having to pull up the clunky guide friends list.

Not sure if anyone realized this either, but the active roster has an option to switch between XBL Friends, XBL Party, and possibly Local if I remember correctly... the feature seems a bit pointless unless they had planned on wanting clan implementation and having your clan be in that selection, but never got the chance to.

I'd pretty much much money on a clan-type system returning.

Another interesting tidbit from the article I linked earlier:

"The change most likely to stir controversy is quick spawning. Where previous Halo titles required a countdown of at least five seconds to get back into the fight after a death, hitting "X" instantly drops you into a random spawn point farther away than waiting for the still-in-place timer to count down otherwise would."​

So if you choose the insta-spawn, you'll be placed pretty far away from the fight (and kind of defeat the purpose of instant spawning IMO), if I'm reading into that correctly. Going by that assumption, one could further imply that by waiting around for those extra seconds, you get to actually pick a better/closer spawn location.

How wrong am I?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I had to google Lisa Frank, how do you know this?! Lol.
Cause I grew up in the 90s? Maybe it was only a US thing.

"The change most likely to stir controversy is quick spawning. Where previous Halo titles required a countdown of at least five seconds to get back into the fight after a death, hitting "X" instantly drops you into a random spawn point farther away than waiting for the still-in-place timer to count down otherwise would."​

This seems to imply that if you choose the insta-spawn, you'll be placed pretty far away from the fight (and kind of defeat the purpose of instant spawning. Going by that assumption, one could further imply that by waiting around for those extra seconds, you get to actually pick a better/closer spawn location.

How wrong am I?
Yeah, sounds like you're reading it right... Hmm. That definitely adds some depth to the system. I could see instant respawning with the hopes that I respawn farther away from the battle but closer to a power weap-- oh wait, weapon drops, never mind.

wwm0nkey

This seems to imply that if you choose the insta-spawn, you'll be placed pretty far away from the fight (and kind of defeat the purpose of instant spawning. Going by that assumption, one could further imply that by waiting around for those extra seconds, you get to actually pick a better/closer spawn location.

How wrong am I?
If true than insta spawning wont even be an issue.

FyreWulff

How wrong am I?

In theory, with the way the current Halo spawn engine works, this is exactly what would happen if you spawn sooner. The weight on spawns closer to action would take longer to decay back to being weighted for you to spawn on.

daedalius

Shadow, did you really just say they changed a lot(TOTALLY DIFFERENT GAME) from the Reach beta on the Halogaf podcast?

Are you kidding me? What a joke.

Lol grenades changed, hilarious.

Edit: it was Ryan, c'mon man!

Louis Wu

I tried so, so hard to catch up before the end of this thread. :(

I only got to page 194. (I fell asleep at 2:30 last night with the laptop open. :) )

Did I miss anything great?

Interesting looking helmets, I particularly like the EVA looking one, and the new Recon isn't half bad. I really am looking forward to seeing all the options in the game as time goes on.

Kinda crazy about no grenade pick-ups.. Thats why there were Frags marked on the HUD in that IGN vid I suppose (in a weapon drop). That really will kill grenade spam, so maybe its for the best.

Interesting looking helmets, I particularly like the EVA looking one, and the new Recon isn't half bad. I really am looking forward to seeing all the options in the game as time goes on.

Kinda crazy about no grenade pick-ups.. Thats why there were Frags marked on the HUD in that IGN vid I suppose (in a weapon drop). That really will kill grenade spam, so maybe its for the best.

It's logical when you hear all the comments about 4 being more of a gungame.

why does hazop look so sad? also only recon, scout, and eva look good. its pretty bad when most of your helmets are uglier than scout and eva. the ugliest ones from halo 3.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Halo |OT5| To Infinity, and Beyond!
Halo |OT5| Press X to Spartan
Halo |OT5| kylej's Halo Mannifesto
Halo |OT5| Beli343
Halo |OT5| Bad News Bears

Top Bottom